• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Is it rude to be late to someone's house for dinner if you give them plenty of warning?

Kingpin Rogers

Chain Chomp
Pronouns
He/Him
I got into a discussion with someone about this where they said that even if you give someone a warning 12 hours before that you're going to be, for example, 30 minutes late for whatever reason, that it's rude and shouldn't be done. Whereas in my opinion as long as you give them enough time to organize things slightly differently and you're not doing it often it's not rude. Am I wrong for thinking that? I could understand if you were saying it 30 mins before but as long as you give them plenty of time to organize things for the later time, I don't see how it's especially rude.

As a host I'd consider a warning 12h ahead of time more than enough. People have lives beyond my dinner.

Stuff happens and thatā€™s fine.

Itā€™s only an issue if you are a repeat offender aka every time youā€™ve been invited somewhere thereā€™s an issue.

As someone else said even if itā€™s 10 mins if something comes up at least you let me know! So all good!

It's not rude at all IMO. As long as you give notice and aren't showing up late every time, I don't see what the problem is.

12 hours is more than enough time to shift a schedule around and 30 minutes late is not bad at all. Things happen and communication the moment you know is always the best call.

Some of my friends I have to regularly call like 30 mins prior to group events to confirm if they are even going to make it because they won't reach out otherwise.

That's more than enough notice. Not rude at all. And the fact that you notified that far in advance should make it obvious to the host that something real came up and you weren't just running late for no reason

Yep if you let them know its not a big deal, the issue is when you don't tell anyone and show up an hour late expecting there to be food lol

Yep if you let them know its not a big deal, the issue is when you don't tell anyone and show up an hour late expecting there to be food lol
Yes, and if it's someone that is still going to grind you about this then I'd wonder whether you should even want someone that difficult in your life.

I'd take even last minute change of plans as acceptable. I only get upset if its a routine thing with a specific person showing a pattern of behavior.
Honestly, this is just me, weekends/freetime are for relaxing, people who get upset over attendance to such things have the wrong priorities. Granted there are obviously reasons to get upset about things, but generally, i prefer to actually relax than to plan gatherings that stresses everyone out, including myself.

I'd just consider shooting a text or call to inform them I'd be late.

Punctuality is a very subjective thing from culture to culture. My wife wants to be everywhere at least 15 minutes before any given time but I'm raised to think it's rude to show up somewhere earlier than you are expected. Never heard anyone demanding a 12 hour notice for a 30 minute delay to a dinner, though, lol.

Up to fifteen or twenty minutes late is nothing, and even thirty minutes is just fine. In my opinion these kinds of things should not be arranged on a tight schedule, and the food should be prepared so that there's plenty of time for people to arrive or just hang around if you arrived early.

Back
Top Bottom