• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions Is it now established beyond the shadow of a doubt that Prime 4 is cross-gen?

Been in the back of my mind since it’s reboot announcement. Starting from scratch in 2019 is a massive undertaking, even if there was a prototype running somewhere.

Next-gen only. Sorry, folks.

Will not happen. People have been, and still are, placing pre-orders for a Switch release.

Besides, the game is built for and with the Switch hardware in mind.

Are we gonna see an enhanced release on Switch 2? Probably.

I think should really wait before going to delude themeselves with upgraded Switch 2 games or cross gen

This will be the first time Nintendo will try to do this and it can amount to just Zelda

I don't think Nintendo will not release this thing on the current switch, they usually take these things very seriously. If they said this was a Switch game, it will still be, but they will probably only announce it as a cross-gen game like BOTW.

Did not Nintendo send a newsletter like at Prime 1 launch with something like "follow this site to remain updated on Prime 4 for the Nintendo Switch" ?

Absolutely.

But to be honest, i would've said and thought so even if yesterdays Direct would've shown MP4.

If Nintendo isn't committing to doing a soft generation transition with lots of crossover and enhanced backwards compatibility, I'd assume it's fully next gen exclusive at this point.

Next Switch is more than likely to release next year. If that's the case, it would be beyond dumb to release Metroid on current switch only, it would be a dick move to release it on next Switch only, so the most relevant move would be cross gen, as it's the perfect game to launch a system with, while showing the improvements. À la BotW.

Absolutely yes, but really don't think it's going to end up as a next gen exclusive, it will also release on Switch no matter what.

If Nintendo isn't committing to doing a soft generation transition with lots of crossover and enhanced backwards compatibility, I'd assume it's fully next gen exclusive at this point.

Look, im not working there and have no idea what they think, but i do think it's absolutely going to launch on Switch 1.

Announced for it, reannounced for it.

Nintendo tends to keep those "promises".

Also Retro has been prototyping since early 2019, by the time Nintendo have a any clue on Switch 2 timing, the structure of the game must have been in stone with Switch 1 limitations

I mean it not a coincidence that Prime 1 is a Super intensive graphical remake, Prime 1 wa provably used a lot to test switch 1 limit for Prime 4

Will not happen. People have been, and still are, placing pre-orders for a Switch release.

Besides, the game is built for and with the Switch hardware in mind.

Are we gonna see an enhanced release on Switch 2? Probably.
I don't think we really know enough to say one way or another. Nintendo has basically removed this game from the public spotlight for 4 years without so much as a peep. What do we even know at this point? I know there was info gleaned from Linkedin at some point, but that was the faintest light that could possibly be shone on development.

Ultimately, I don't think the preorders really matter that much to Nintendo, nor does the fact they announced the game for Switch. They've announced games for previous platforms and then totally transplanted them a couple of times. Super Paper Mario was a Gamecube game until Nintendo decided it was better to release it on a system that wasn't a failure. Paper Mario is roughly equivalent to Metroid in a lot of ways, so if they think it will be more impactful as an exclusive I think they'll make that move.

But that's just speculation. Nobody really knows much of anything, and if they do they aren't especially forthcoming. We'll just have to continue to play the waiting game. For now, my money is on an exclusive.

ideal scenario would be essentially Metroid Prime 4 taking advantage of the "new hardware" hype and being heavily featured in marketing alongside other games while also having a Switch 1 version taking advantage of an existing sizeable audience.

Especially because Metroid in general just isn't a franchise that has been known to sell over a long period of time so it's rather critical to have the biggest playerbase possible for those frontloaded sales.

I also fully suspect the game will be through and through a Switch 1 game first (which minds you will be a massive jump for the series because there hasn't been a MP game designed for an HD system yet) while the Switch 2 version will have a lot of nice visual flourishes/improvements on top (think better image quality, better textures, improved lighting, improved loading times, etc).

There are very few examples of Nintendo games that were announced for one platform, then only released on the next hardware; Super Paper Mario and Donkey Kong Barrel Blast comes to mind.. (announced for GameCube, released on Wii);

and I guess Pikmin 3 was kinda announced for the Wii too and then moved to Wii U? But that's too vague..

Other than that.. Nintendo usually keep their promises to release their games on the formely announced hardware. I don't doubt Prime 4 is primarily a Switch game, even if they already have a version already running on the next system.

Still Switch exclusive, but back compat. No free upgrade.
This is what I'm expecting. I don't think they're going to renege on the platform.

I'm also highly doubtful, but wouldn't be surprised if it happens, that there will be a "next-gen" version a la BotW. One, this game was rebooted in 2019, they wouldn't have been privy to any hardware decisions at that point and given the amount of churn the hardware thread saw they would've been chasing an ever changing target which is not a good place to be in as a developer. Two, if they did change the target platform that would've happened in the last year or two and probably would push the release date out of the "cross-gen" period. Three, Metroid simply does not have the clout to justify development and testing against two platforms at the same time.

As someone who was doubtful it would be crossgen, I'm now in the camp of either being crossgen or maybe even Switch 2 exclusive.

I hope so as there's no other Nintendo IP as well suited to showcasing next-gen hardware as a Retro developed Prime 4. The tight level design and somewhat realistic presentation make it extremely well suited for a raytracing showcase that a portable system, like the Switch 2, might just be able to pull off.

Nintendo is gonna call the switch successor "Switch Prime" and the title of prime 4 would be "Metroid Prime 4: Switch". Thats why they are in a deadlock which one to announce first.

No I think it will be switch only. They will follow the 3DS to switch overlap pretty closely by releasing the same series on switch after the next console comes out. The next console will release April 2024 with a brand new 3D Mario game and will be backwards compatible with switch. Smaller series will release on switch so they can get maximum exposure as both the next console and switch will be able to play these games. These games will be Paper Mario Thousand Year Door, Luigis Mansion 2 Remake, and Metriod Prime 4. Just like how on 3DS Mario and Luigi: Bowsers Inside Story, Luigis Mansion Remake, and Samus Returns all released after the Switch came out.

As the thread title suggests: is Prime 4 more likely than ever now to be considered a cross-gen title? The game didn't show up in today's Direct, which - if it were shown as a 2024 title - would suggest for it to be either one of the last big exclusives for the system, or the last big Switch exclusive..

Now, however, the game was absent, which at least in my opinion brings the cross-gen question back in full force. Nintendo announcing the game in the February Direct would indicate a launch window at least 5 to 7 months out, and then we're halfway through 2024 and the possible dawn of Switch 2 would be imminent.

Nintendo can't not release Prime 4 on Switch after originally announcing it for Switch - but them doing cross-gen titles isn't unheard of. What are your thoughts - would this be a likely scenario? Or are they really going to backpedal on the 2017 announcement completely and have the game skip Switch altogether in favour of Switch 2?
i always suspected Metroid Prime 4 could be a cross-gen game, after Nintendo reboot it development, a game like Metroid Prime take at least 4 years to make, with it development rebooted, 4/5 year development cycle, and we have the first cross-gen game for Nintendo next hardware.

I'd be really shocked if it wasn't and I'm very happy that's the case, I want them to really take advantage of the new hardware.
Metroid Prime was technically stunning when it came out and I'd love MP4 to also be.

Back
Top Bottom