• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Is Breath of the Wild the most important Nintendo game of this century?

Is Breath of the Wild the most important Nintendo game of this century?

• Yes

Votes: 76 57.1%
  • No, it's Super Mario Sunshine

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • No, it's Metroid Prime

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it's The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

• No, it's New Super Mario Bros.

• No, it's Wii Sports

Votes: 36 27.1%
  • No, it's The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

• No, it's Super Mario Galaxy

• No, it's Wii Fit

• No, it's Super Smash Bros. Brawl

• No, it's New Super Mario Bros. Wii

• No, it's Splatoon

• No, it's Super Mario Maker

• No, it's Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • No, it's Super Mario Odyssey

• No, it's Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

• No, it's Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • No, it's The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • No, it's Super Mario Bros. Wonder

• No, it's another game

Votes: 6 4.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Wockio

NSMB2 Millionaire
Pronouns
He
Important. That's not easy to define, but I think everyone sort of gets what I mean. Influential. Revered. Controversial. Games like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Animal Crossing: New Horizons have been played by more people, but they aren't talked about as often.

I can't think of anything that could contend with it. It's probably up there with Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time as some of the most important videogames ever created.

It and Wii sports are basically the only two in the running for the title, both heralding in a new era of success for Nintendo and really being the games that made it possible.

I think given what Wii sports represented, the first real console success since the NES, that a different path beyond just chasing bigger hardware numbers was possible (Ninty knew this in the handheld space, but.the Wii proved it was also possible in the home space too) and the last real major additions controls have seen since in proving the worth of motion controls, it edges it out.

It's definitely a close thing though!

Last edited:
I think BotW not only represented a profound shift in TLoZ game design principles (for the better, as far as I’m concerned), but it had a huge synergistic effect with the Switch’s launch (remember all the news about it having an above 100% attachment rate at the beginning, haha). Coming from the disastrous WiiU (in terms of commercial success or rather lack thereof), I think it’s fair to say that BotW had the biggest impact of any (Nintendo) first party release on a platform this century, yeah.

It basically was the Switch’s kingmaker, if you will.

it wouldn't be wrong to say it carried Switch from the depths of Wii U's history to the giant it became over time. it genuinely was everywhere when Switch came out and the choice for everyone to play it between a dead poor console and flashy new one was a no-brainer

Pretty much.

It's easy to point to Wii Sports in terms of sales and/or the fact that it dragged motion controls into the forefront, but in the grand scheme of things, motion controls were not exactly a permanent revolution. BotW did much more not only in terms of bringing Nintendo back to the top, but I also think the "switch-concept" of going from TV mode to portable mode is a much more important technological achievement than motion controls in the long run.

I was surprised that no one voted for Animal Crossing. However, considering that the large sales of this game come from Japan and it is not much larger than Zelda in Europe and America, perhaps this is normal.

Yes for sure after it elevated Nintendo back above the rest.

I would say prior to Breath of the Wild, Perfect Dark on N64 was the most important game associated with Nintendo.

Inportant in what terms? If by that you mean critically acclaimed, yes.
If you mean relevant for players it depends.In restricted circles of gaming enthusiasts, maybe BoTW is more talked about.
When you talk the average person, Nintendo is still mainly associated to 2D Mario, Mario Kart, Pokemon and Wii Sports.

Skimmed tnrough the options and had a brief pause at Splatoon, I think Splatoon may be a very good contender for introducing a new highly-succesful franchise to Nintendo's portfolio.

Bringing in the MMO crowd, probably a lot of shooter fanatics as well it brought yet another audience to Nintendo that probably stayed for generations, boosting Nintendo as a whole.

What other new succesful franchises past 2010 did Nintendo introduce for several generations? I can think of Xenoblade but I consider it grey area for not starting out as 1st party franchise. Wii Sports did the same for non-gamers so maybe Wii Sports did even more lifting compared to Splatoon...

I’d give it to Wii Sports. Bringing in unprecedented success to Nintendo’s home consoles was a big deal whereas the Switch is more of an extension of Nintendo’s handheld consoles.

Bizarre not to see either Brain Training or Nintendogs, which kickstarted Nintendo's blue ocean drive before Wii Sports, and which were pretty instrumental in driving touch screen adoption and mobile touch screen gaming, which has gone on to be the dominant mode of gaming this century.

Breath of the Wild is maybe Nintendo's most important traditional game this century, recementing their hold on a substantial part of the console market, but the Touch Generations games and DS altered the course of gaming worldwide this century.

BotW just made it impossible to deny the capabilities and audience of the system in regards to gamers. It re-established Nintendo as the top dog in a more modern era. Open World games are somewhat considered the crown jewel of gaming and they proved that this quality was possible on their new Hybrid system - portable as well as docked on the big Screen.

It was essential to the Switch success and the Switch is Nintendo most successful system ever. Going still strong in its 8th year.

I think BOTW probably is.

It also seemed to wake Nintendo up out of that obsession with making all their major franchises easy and accessible. They seem to have a better balance again now.

BotW is not only the biggest success in its own series and an amazing reinvention, it is not only one of the best games of all time - I genuinely don’t think the Switch was be nearly as successful without it.

Wii sports signaled the start of an extremely successful era of Nintendo, but one that has proven to be more self contained as time passes. BotW will go down in gaming history as one of the greatest games of all time, a revolution for a genre, a brilliant revival of gaming’s greatest long running series that catapulted it to a new peak, and the game that kicked off and proved (on DAY ONE) the concept of what will likely end up being the most successful console of all time.

Like, I know it sounds dramatic, but it cannot be overstated how much of a turning point March 3rd, 2017 was for Nintendo as a company.

While one can not deny the impact and importance of both Wii Sports and the DS Mega-hits.

BotW made one of the longest lasting franchises on the market to one of the biggest and widely hailed as one of the best games of all time, it enabled the Switch the become the most profitable platform Nintendo has ever had, it's importance to Nintendo can not be understated.

I'd say BOTW is important because it was an extremely pivotal piece in Nintendo's transition from alienating core gamers after the shift to blue ocean, to falling back in love with the Nintendo brand for both blue ocean gamers and core gamers alike. The beginning of this turning point though I'd probably vote it for splatoon, but there's no denying that BOTW was truly Nintendo's complete turnaround in this century.

It is up there..but most important? Not by a long shot. It gave Nintendo the right push at the right moment.

You could argue without OoT N64 would have sold even worse and half of the GC owners would not exist, with a high chance that Nintendo would have left the console market.

Pokémon is half the reason why their handheld branch was rock solid since the GB

Mario became so big that it set them up for where we're now

Wii sports rejuvinated the company after the GC

And so forth. For the current direction of the switch BotW is definitely up there... With MK8.

It is up there..but most important? Not by a long shot. It gave Nintendo the right push at the right moment.

You could argue without OoT N64 would have sold even worse and half of the GC owners would not exist, with a high chance that Nintendo would have left the console market.

Pokémon is half the reason why their handheld branch was rock solid since the GB

And so forth. For the current direction of the switch BotW is definitely up there... With MK8.
The fact that BOTW did reshape Nintendo's position in the hearts and minds of core gamers can't be argued with by any means, especially considering the consequences of the wii's full-on blue ocean tendencies alienating traditional gamers, and I think that BOTW even made a significant portion of the core gamers willing to embrace Nintendo's explorations into the blue ocean, as they may have also become players of AC and Ring Fit, and embraced the idea of Hybrid Portable Game Console,which were very much a novel piece of hardware back in the day.

Did i miss some? I'm a young buck and all the old heads i know who had an N64 played Mario but it only few who got OOT. I got in during the Gamecube days i wouldn't know 🤣 I agree with the rest though you got a few we missing like the Pokemons it definitely possible we would never seen a Switch without Pokemon to keep handhelds at forefront instead of other hand option

The fact that BOTW did reshape Nintendo's position in the hearts and minds of core gamers can't be argued with by any means, especially considering the consequences of the wii's full-on blue ocean tendencies alienating traditional gamers, and I think that BOTW even made a significant portion of the core gamers willing to embrace Nintendo's explorations into the blue ocean, as they may have also become players of AC and Ring Fit, and embraced the idea of portable consoles, which were very much a novel piece of hardware back in the day.
Imo, folks got too much emphasis on "core gamers"

Still imo, BOTW most important job wasn't to give faith to core gamers, but restore faith to Nintendo's core fanbase. The Switch would have never hit the ground running the way it did 2017 without word of mouth from our finally happy fanbase

I think BOTW probably is.

It also seemed to wake Nintendo up out of that obsession with making all their major franchises easy and accessible. They seem to have a better balance again now.
Hell yea bro respect a 2 way street with the fans, treat the fans like you think they stupid with every release and the fans showed them who was really stupid those late Wii and Wii U days. So glad Nintendo got the message instead of tripling down

Imo, folks got too much emphasis on "core gamers"

Still imo, BOTW most important job wasn't to give faith to core gamers, but restore faith to Nintendo's core fanbase. The Switch would have never hit the ground running the way it did 2017 without word of mouth from our finally happy fanbase
Whether we accept it or not, only the core gamers have the highest strength of awareness of the brand, and when a significant portion of the blue ocean market has already been carved up by smartphones, Nintendo relying solely on its original core fanbase will get the tragic end of a mere 14 million sales of the wiiu.

The fact that BOTW did reshape Nintendo's position in the hearts and minds of core gamers can't be argued with by any means, especially considering the consequences of the wii's full-on blue ocean tendencies alienating traditional gamers, and I think that BOTW even made a significant portion of the core gamers willing to embrace Nintendo's explorations into the blue ocean, as they may have also become players of AC and Ring Fit, and embraced the idea of Hybrid Portable Game Console,which were very much a novel piece of hardware back in the day.
I only now realized 'of this century'...
Then I think it's a tie with MK8, Wii Sports and maybe Pokémon Gen 4 (cop out, I know)

After that I would almost say AC, broadening the switch to a ton of new people during the pandemic. I'm 100% certain that without that timing the switch sales would have slowed down, and that we would have switch 2 by now.
Did i miss some? I'm a young buck and all the old heads i know who had an N64 played Mario but it only few who got OOT. I got in during the Gamecube days i wouldn't know 🤣 I agree with the rest though you got a few we missing like the Pokemons it definitely possible we would never seen a Switch without Pokemon to keep handhelds at forefront instead of other hand option
It is still the "best game" by metacritic.
It was talked about as nintendos answer to FF7, ambitious "next gen" "cinematic" experience.

If you would not have that as some sort of first party counter balance, the "nintendos for kids" argument would have gotten even worse and I'm confident that enough stuck to Nintendo when the GC came out cause they expected a bigger bader Zelda... (That's also the context why WW had such a bad reputation in the west at first ...)

Zelda was nintendos broad straw to "mature" in a time when that was kinda the core argument against it in console wars. (By the time MP came it was already to late and it didn't have enough broad appeal I guess, early 00s where more fantasy oriented thanks to LotR and HP)

Whether we accept it or not, only the core gamers have the highest strength of awareness of the brand, and when a significant portion of the blue ocean market has already been carved up by smartphones, Nintendo relying solely on its original core fanbase will get the tragic end of a mere 14 million sales of the wiiu.
I definitely believe the blue ocean market is by far the Switch's most important and biggest just by numbers and antidotes, Mario Kart 8DX sold 60 million you got to remember. I also don't believe smartphone gaming has carved any market out but is only a pass-time option, but this only by antidote too lol.

Core gamers may have highest strength awareness of the brand, but core gamers also are an extremely small slice of the gaming population. This is especially on Nintendo just by sales numbers where casual games and casually recognizable IP dominate per capita of Switch buyers

I only now realized 'of this century'...
Then I think it's a tie with MK8, Wii Sports and maybe Pokémon Gen 4 (cop out, I know)

After that I would almost say AC, broadening the switch to a ton of new people during the pandemic. I'm 100% certain that without that timing the switch sales would have slowed down, and that we would have switch 2 by now.

It is still the "best game" by metacritic.
It was talked about as nintendos answer to FF7, ambitious "next gen" "cinematic" experience.

If you would not have that as some sort of first party counter balance, the "nintendos for kids" argument would have gotten even worse and I'm confident that enough stuck to Nintendo when the GC came out cause they expected a bigger bader Zelda... (That's also the context why WW had such a bad reputation in the west at first ...)

Zelda was nintendos broad straw to "mature" in a time when that was kinda the core argument against it in console wars. (By the time MP came it was already to late and it didn't have enough broad appeal I guess, early 00s where more fantasy oriented thanks to LotR and HP)
I gotchu thank you for the insight

Brain Age / Brain Training and Nintendogs should also be on the list. Wii Sports might not exist without them.
I feel you but at the same time i think you getting into butterfly effect with this, surely Brain Age and Nintendogs wasn't the green light in Nintendo's mind for their new casual approach, but i guess we don't know lol

I definitely believe the blue ocean market is by far the Switch's most important and biggest just by numbers and antidotes, Mario Kart 8DX sold 60 million you got to remember. I also don't believe smartphone gaming has carved any market out but is only a pass-time option, but this only by antidote too lol.

Core gamers may have highest strength awareness of the brand, but core gamers also are an extremely small slice of the gaming population. This is especially on Nintendo just by sales numbers where casual games and casually recognizable IP dominate per capita of Switch buyers
Blue ocean gamers make up the majority of the group in the switch ecosystem that's a sound judgment, but I'd say if you think smartphones didn't have any impact on the blue ocean plan of the Satoru Iwata era then look at the final sales of the 3ds and wiiu. I think in the switch era Nintendo clearly grasped a geared towards the fact that since the traditional game consuming demographic around 2016 has seen a pretty sizable increase compared to pre-2010, those demographics became a demographic that Nintendo took the initiative to grasp, and it's completely different from the customized plan in the blue ocean plan for people who didn't play games at all before, because that demographic has shifted to Smartphones. And this new addition to the traditional gaming consumer base will also drive sales of Nintendo's experimental games, such as Ring Fit.

Blue ocean gamers make up the majority of the group in the switch ecosystem that's a sound judgment, but I'd say if you think smartphones didn't have any impact on the blue ocean plan of the Satoru Iwata era then look at the final sales of the 3ds and wiiu. I think in the switch era Nintendo clearly grasped a geared towards the fact that since the traditional game consuming demographic around 2016 has seen a pretty sizable increase compared to pre-2010, those demographics became a demographic that Nintendo took the initiative to grasp, and it's completely different from the customized plan in the blue ocean plan for people who didn't play games at all before, because that demographic has shifted to Smartphones. And this new addition to the traditional gaming consumer base will also drive sales of Nintendo's experimental games, such as Ring Fit.
Yes, but the Blue Ocean plan as far as local multiplayer orient as never been more successful than the Switch era, so no matter what smartphones mowed through the forest we still got more wildlife in Nintendo corner than ever before

I think by the years we are getting many new corners of the world into gaming, and this has not translated at that same rate to Nintendo sales, but i would more point to a game like Fortnite with 100 millions of users that can be accessed by any platform free. Imo smartphones more cut into all gaming population with content addiction easier and free availability, which is of course big, but whatever they doing it's not enough because god only knows what Mario Kart 9 selling when old ass Mario Kart 8 still sell like bricks in the 90s

I get what you saying the rest, and hopefully they get EPD 4 on a solid and pretty Switch Sports 2 title though not more experimental Ring Fit Adventures lol that just me though

Last edited:
Eh, I think Animal Crossing Wild World has that honor. Came out in a time where online gaming was still at its infancy and allowed a whole a different side of it. Quite revolutionary it was I'd say, despite being a second entry in the series.

This thread really sleep on Super Mario Kart and Smash 64 impact though imo. These 2 titles proved how much Nintendo's local multiplayer games could mean to the fans, especially paired with easily approachable and understandable control, and party mechanics in item systems allowing anybody to pick up and compete. Mario Party 1998 too while we at it

Last edited:
I get what you saying the rest, and hopefully they get EPD 4 on a solid and pretty Switch Sports 2 title though not more experimental Ring Fit Adventures lol that just me though
Quite the opposite, I think the SPORTS series should be over, they should make more experimental content for different hardware in the future, as evidenced by the massive success of Ring Fit, the SPORTS series won't get any better.

BOTW is most influential in the opposite way of Wii sports. While Wii sports was Nintendo's way in to casual gamers, BOTW was the launch of the pivot back to core gamer focus after casual gamers mostly left to mobile games.

Long post ahead...sorry Fami, but not sorry.

Breath of the Wild is this century's Ocarina of Time. A paradigm shift, regardless if people loved it, or hated it.

Most important though of the century is extremely tricky. Wii Sports helped garner that age of casual gaming with the Blue Ocean strategy, but considering it ended up as a fad I think negates its lasting impact. It might've been a big deal at the time, but I don't see many folks today saying, "Hey remember Wii sports? Yeah, that was an awesome game! Let's play that together right now!" It may have been important for its time, but I don't think it holds up as well as say Mario 64, or Ocarina of Time in terms of importance, and those two games are from the previous century. No doubt it's influential, and probably helped redefine how Nintendo as a company operated, or at least thought of things; I just don't think its impact is as long lasting as others.

Nothing from the Gamecube era was more important IMO, and that is despite how much I loved that system. The closest title from that era would've been Zelda Wind Waker, and that's really only because it was so controversial prior to its launch, and kickstarted so many memes. Some younger Fami here might not quite fully understand just how big of a deal it was when Wind Waker was announced. For some, it felt like a gut punch, and others were extremely curious of Nintendo's decision here. In the end, we forgot about "Kiddy Link," and "Celda," or even how cartoony it all looked, and found it became one of the best Zelda titles ever made, and still holds true even today. But, still not the most important Nintendo game of this century.

Besides Wii Sports, we had Super Mario Galaxy, which was a bit of a departure from what we got with Mario Sunshine (A fully orchestrated soundtrack for starters for the first time in a Mario game), and just an overall joy to play. Mario Galaxy 2 (a game which unfortunately I've never played) took what was great about it, and added in the 2D Mario level style, which was a nice throwback. I've read that it's still one of the best Mario games ever made.

Besides BOTW on Wii U, the only other game on that system (which coincidently got a re-release on Switch) that has any sort of impact was Mario Kart 8, but I don't think in the way most think. Ultimately, it is still good ole Mario Kart, but with some great race tracks, great music, and overall just great gameplay. You can truly just pick it up, and play at any time. It certainly evolved the franchise more, plus also tying it into other franchises (namely F-Zero), and its influence caused other companies to mimic/copy it in the form of Sonic All Stars racing, and Crash Team Racing as the two best examples. I've heard these are truly great games with some great content, and overall a blast to play. Mario Kart 8 though, especially when it got re-released on Switch as Deluxe, just blew up in popularity, much further beyond that I ever imagined. Over 60 million sold on Switch, plus the over 8 million on WiiU?! That one game between the two systems has sold more copies than Nintendo sold systems for N64, Gamecube, and Wii U...COMBINED!!!

If you ask me, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is more important of a title to Nintendo than Wii Sports is, and that is despite Wii Sports still the crown jewel of best selling Nintendo game of all time. The truth of the matter is though, which game in 20 years are people still going to remember, let alone play? Wii Sports might certainly in the picture in terms of reminiscing of Nintendo's successes and failures, but I don't think it'll be a game that many people will play decades from now. Perhaps it'll have some resurgence at some point in younger generations, but I believe more people will still be playing Mario Kart 8 two decades from now.

Realistically speaking, you could argue this point for most Nintendo games. Many of them, despite launching even 3-4 decades ago now, can still be played, and are fun to play even to this day. Or even if we do go back 20 years, one example of a game that has such a dedicated fanbase today is Super Smash Bros Melee, something I never would've expected myself. I owned Melee back in the day, but got bored. And yet, the fact it's still played both casually, AND competitively is honestly quite awesome. I just wish Nintendo understood how important their fanbase was to them as a company sometimes...but I digress.

That leads me back to Breath of the Wild, and its importance, let alone impact. It may not have the sales of Wii Sports, or even Mario Kart 8/Deluxe, but I think over time, it is a benchmark for how developers will continue to follow in Nintendo's footsteps much like what has happened with Mario Bros on NES, Mario 64 on N64, Ocarina of Time on N64, ALTTP on SNES. The mark that Nintendo leaves has a ripple effect throughout the entire industry, and BOTW is felt more so than any other game as of now in this century.

It is quite possible BOTW may not always be that game though. There are still ~75 years left in this century, and I doubt most of us will be around to see it, and truly be able to answer this question definitively. I'll be 112 if I make it to the 22nd Century, which I won't say never, but that's a lot of over time in age if you ask me. I just hope I can walk around, and wipe my own ass at that age, and not be a vegetable.

This thread really sleep on Super Mario Kart and Smash 64 impact though imo. These 2 titles proved how much Nintendo's local multiplayer games could mean to the fans, especially paired with easily approachable and understandable control, and party mechanics in item systems allowing anybody to pick up and compete. Mario Party 1998 too while we at it
I also overlooked it, but it says "this century'", GC/GBA onwards.

Back
Top Bottom