• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Is Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp getting a Japanese release a few days after the new console had launched?

Colonel_Kerfuffle

Elmer Fudd X Grilled Cheese = Best Ship Ever
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Just to remind:
  • Nintendo DS North American release: November 21, 2004
  • Game Boy Wars Advance 1+2: November 25, 2004
Will Nintendo repeat the same strategy?

Seems like a rather tenuous prediction with an n = 1 case of it previously occurring.

The (rather disappointing in my view) situation of the series' poor showing in Japan since AW (despite the series originating as Japan only), and of course its successive unfortunate planned release timings occurring in proximity to certain real world conflicts, doesn't bode well for a future release in the series - whether RBC in Japan, another remake, or a new title; the launch of the successor wouldn't really change this either way.

Lol no, I love the remake and think AW is great but Ninty clearly sent it out to die even before their panic to delay it. It was always slated for the west only (the wars series bombs pretty regularly in Japan), it was outsourced to WF, who do good work but aren't known for quality Japanese translations, and even after being shot into space for a pretty silly reason looking back, (though I argue it's good they got it out when they did as had they waited a few more months, it would be an even worse look imo) it was barely promoted. I think anyone in Japan who'd remotely care about it would just have imported it by now. Or we'll get the OGs on NSO sometime in the future and thus Japan gets to play em again.

This poor poor franchise is cursed. It won't happen, I think. I'd really love to play Days of Ruin someday, I need to get to that.

I think this franchise just wasn’t meant to be. Too easily caught up in political controversy and niche despite decades of games. FE having a greater focus on story and characters doesn’t help.

I think this franchise just wasn’t meant to be. Too easily caught up in political controversy and niche despite decades of games. FE having a greater focus on story and characters doesn’t help.
I think Dark Conflict/Days of Ruin at least offered a way around that with the cartoon sci-fi post-apocalypse look and avoiding themes based on caricatures of real countries.

Eh, maybe? Re-Boot Camp (and Buddy Mission Bond, for the matter) could work as potential post-successor releases for the Switch next year... but there were probably a few reasons they were skipped over the first time for release in Japan and overseas, respectively, and skepticism about their sales potential in said regions was probably a major one.

i'm pretty sure the timing of Game Boy Wars Advance 1+2 was more down to the western release of the original having an exceptionally unlucky release date (September 10, 2001) than anything else, it likely would have released much sooner if that wasn't the case.

I could see it happen this year. Kind of expecting it in the Japanese Direct, not that I'll be watching that one.

Japan won’t get it; it’s a special treat for other regions in exchange for Buddy Mission BOND staying exclusive to Japan.

…I guess North America got fucked over by never getting Brain Age for Nintendo Switch, though…

That never stopped them before (MUA3, DCSHG, Another Code, Buddy Mission BOND, Bayo 1&2, TMS Encore, Prime Remastered, etc).
i'm pretty sure all of those games outsold the last wars game in japan, with maybe TMS being the thing that'd be in the same ballpark as AW. It really, really does not do well there and they skipped days of ruin for a reason.

I hope it does get a Japanese release at some point. Anything to increase the series chance of survival. Maybe we can get Buddy Mission Bond at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom