• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Is a hot dog a sandwich?

Rika

Bob-omb
Banned
Pronouns
she/her, they/them
This is my first garbage galaxy post, but... I wanted to ask something to users here.

Is a hot dog a sandwich?
Apparently the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council announced their official stance on this sometime ago. They also posted how hot dog and sandwich are not interchangeable.

Limiting the hot dog’s significance by saying it’s ‘just a sandwich’ is like calling the Dalai Lama ‘just a guy’. Perhaps at one time its importance could be limited by forcing it into a larger sandwich category (no disrespect to Reubens and others), but that time has passed. We therefore choose to take a cue from a great performer and declare our namesake be a “hot dog formerly known as a sandwich. Read full announcement here.

Even famous people have weighed in on this debate:

Edit: This isn't a serious subject/topic, guys. I made it for fun after hearing it in a YouTube video I was watching. I didn't know or expect people to respond. lol

Last edited:
Yes. The completed ensemble of bun and the frank is a sandwich. Two pieces of bread is not a requirement, as seen with submarine sandwiches or open faced sandwiches.

Yes. The completed ensemble of bun and the frank is a sandwich. Two pieces of bread is not a requirement, as seen with submarine sandwiches or open faced sandwiches.
As someone who has gotten open faced sandwiches... totally agree.

Is a pizza just an open-face calzone?
parks-and-rec-cones-of-dunshire.gif

No, it's a type of submarine sandwich which is a submarine sandwich not a sandwich, hence the different names.

on topic, ontologically a hot dog is a sandwich, but in shorthand I find it a lot stranger to call it a sandwich than, for instance, calling a sub a sandwich

I eat most of my hot dogs in a salad so usually it's not a sandwich.

When you eat a hot dog on a bun though it totally is.

Speaking of pizza, does this line of thinking also mean that pizza is a sandwich? If some sandwiches are made with plantains or buns made of compressed cooked rice, then are nachos also a sandwich? 🧐

Speaking of pizza, does this line of thinking also mean that pizza is a sandwich? If some sandwiches are made with plantains or buns made of compressed cooked rice, then are nachos also a sandwich? 🧐
The way I tend to classify it is this:

If you're actively using the bread/grain/carb to mix ingredients and sauces from one part of the item to another, it's a sandwich. By actively, I mean you are squeezing or pushing the carb onto another carb or your contents in order to mix one thing with another, i.e. mix hot dog with mustard. Or mix lettuce with turkey. Or sometimes just mix one carb piece with another distinct one (think of an oreo).

So pizza or nachos generally are not sandwiches, the carb is a delivery mechanism but not a mixing mechanism. Unless you eat your pizza folded up or put one nacho on top of the other, then it's a sandwich.

I mean... technically?? I mean, you could kinda-sorta call it a sub, too?

...are subs sandwiches?

My mind knows this but my heart rejects it. Same with the hotdog=sandwich debate.
It'd be pretty cool if an actual gustatory equivalent to these kinds of illusions was found.
Something that tastes like a hot dog under certain conditions, and a pizza under others.

If smørrebrød is a sandwich, pizza must technically qualify as well.

The hotdog has bread? R= YES
The hotdog has meat between the bread? R=YES

There you have, it is a Sandwich.

I alone solved this enigma, give me cookie.

Also from Wikipedia

Also according to Chillis a hamburger is a sandwich

chicky-chicky-ranch.jpg
I do buy that a hamburger is a sandwich. AFAIK "hamburger" was initially the word for the meat, and people would call hamburger meat on a bun a "hamburger sandwich," which was eventually shortened to just "hamburger." But yeah, it totally is a sandwich.

Yes.

It is also a taco, and tacos are also sandwiches.

We will not be taking any questions.
15_cube_rule.jpg

For any questions please refer The Cube Rule of Food.

And yes by this graph a pig in a blanket is Hot Dog Sushi, cereal is a soup, submarines are taco shape in presentation but a sandwich in consumption.

Last edited:
15_cube_rule.jpg

For any questions please refer The Cube Rule of Food.

And yes by this graph a pig in a blanket is Hot Dog Sushi, cereal is a soup, submarines are taco is shape in presentation but a sandwich in consumption.
holy shit, enchiladas are sushi

Back
Top Bottom