• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Is 2023 going to be the best year in gaming ?

TheSpearGuy

transcended to the gods
Just look at what we have and what is coming up :

Fire Emblem Engage
Kirby's Return to Dreamland Deluxe
Metroid Prime Remastered
Advance Wars 1+2
Tears of the Kingdom

Everybody 1-2 Switch !

Pikmin 1+2
Pikmin 4
Detective Pikachu Returns
Super Mario Bros. Wonders
WarioWare Move It !
Super Mario RPG
Starfield
Spiderman 2
Sonic Superstars
Diablo 4
Mortal Kombat 1
Street Fighter 6
Resident Evil 4

Just to name a few ...

I think it is better than 2017, which was probably the Switch's best year.

Yes.

Final-Fantasy-XVI-FF16-Walkthrough-and-Strategy-Guide.jpeg

As of now I'd say no. 2017 had Hollow Knight, Breath of the Wild, and Divinity Original Sin 2, which are all personal 10/10 games and some of my favorite games ever and there's nothing from 2023 that I'd put on the same level. 2017 also had a lot of other really great games too like Sonic Mania, Cuphead, Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, etc. I think right now the games I'm most hopeful for are Baldur's Gate 3 and Super Mario Bros Wonder, so maybe they'll change things, but I'm not really counting on it. That said, it's been a really good year of games so far and I've really enjoyed Octopath Traveler II (maybe my favorite new game I've played since Dragon Quest XI S back in 2019).

It’s a very good year, but 2017 is going to be hard to beat, especially considering non-Nintendo offerings.

October is genuinely trying to destroy my wallet

Metal Gear Solid Collection
Batman Arkham Trilogy
Super Mario Wonder
Spider-Man 2

2023 has definitely been full of heavy hitters. TotK easily became one of my all-time favorites. RE4R and SF6 show Capcom at their finest, FFXVI seems to be somewhat of a return to form, and I have high hopes for upcoming games like Starfield, Spider-Man 2, Baldur’s Gate 3 and Super Mario Bros Wonder.

But better than 2017? Not just yet. We’re talking about a Nintendo catalog that has BotW, Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey. Then you count in all the other stuff— 2017 saw the release of excellent games like Cuphead, Octopath Traveler, Divinity Original Sin 2, Gorogoa, The Sexy Brutale and Prey. Stuff like RE7 and Nier Automata, too.

Where's my 2017 list? Hold on.

BotW
Odyssey
Horizon Zero Dawn
RE7
Nier Automata
Persona 5 (outside Japan)
Hollow Knight
Splatoon 2
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
FE: Echoes (and Heroes, and Warriors)
Nioh
Prey
N. Sane Trilogy
Sonic Mania
Cuphead
Hellblade
Wolfenstein II
Yakuza 0 (outside Japan)
Tekken 7 (for consoles/PC)
MK8D
PUBG
Destiny 2
Gravity Rush 2
South Park: TFBW
Divinity Original Sin II
Dead Cells
Pokken DX
Samus Returns
Mario + Rabbids
and... uh... Fortnite. Though idk if that adds or detracts points, lol.

2023 is impressive, I'm still gonna give it to 2017 though.

Currently it's looking very strong, but not even close to 2017 yet for me. I'm honestly not sure that year will ever be beaten, it was that good. But there's still an entire half year left to go, so we'll see where it ends up!

Allow me to be a bit miserable here:

Remasters / Remakes
Metroid Prime Remastered
Advance Wars 1+2
Pikmin 1+2
Super Mario RPG
Resident Evil 4

Already Released
Fire Emblem Engage - Poor
Tears of the Kingdom - Good, but disappointing compared to BotW (old map made it feel like a quasi-remaster)
Diablo 4 - Great

Still to Come
Everybody 1-2 Switch
Pikmin 4
Super Mario Bros. Wonder
WarioWare Move It !
Starfield
Spiderman 2
Sonic Superstars
Mortal Kombat 1
Street Fighter 6

I don't use remasters in my rankings unless it's an entirely new game (like Zero Mission or FF7 R).

So yeah, it's a great year no doubt, but it can't compare to 2017 at all imo. A lot will depend on how Starfield is received.

It’s very good, but I think 1998 is still the greatest year in gaming history. Two of my top 5 came out in that year even.

The way this year is going, it could end up joining the top tier of 1998, 2007, and 2017.

maybe....

I was ready to entertain the idea based on the thread title. But it seems you're talking about Switch only, in which case the answer is very comfortably no. 2017 and 2019 are both better.

As a whole though, 2023 is indeed a very strong year.

New Zelda, REmake4, Metroid Prime Remaster and Armored Core already made it a strong contender for one of my favorite years. A new 2D Mario, new 2D Sonic and Mario RPG remake might just push it over for me.

And that's just with stuff that we know about. I'm still expecting some "September surprise!" that might be able to make it this calendar year.

2023 is looking great but I don't think anything is going to beat 2017 for me anytime soon

October is genuinely trying to destroy my wallet

Metal Gear Solid Collection
Batman Arkham Trilogy
Super Mario Wonder
Spider-Man 2
Swap Spider-Man with Alan Wake but otherwise I have the same list as you for October 😅

And yeah that doesn't account for Pikmin 4 next month, whatever Gamecube shadowdrop comes next, and I'm sure some other stuff that's yet to be announced.

Swap Spider-Man with Alan Wake but otherwise I have the same list as you for October 😅

And yeah that doesn't account for Pikmin 4 next month, whatever Gamecube shadowdrop comes next, and I'm sure some other stuff that's yet to be announced.

Oh yeah, we will still get some indie games that get announced and released (We still have stuff like the Plucky Squire and Gunbrella) and I also expect another GC game at the September Direct.

Oh yeah, we will still get some indie games that get announced and released (We still have stuff like the Plucky Squire and Gunbrella) and I also expect another GC game at the September Direct.
Paycheques aren't big enough and too much of my time in the day is spent not gaming 🥲 Maybe one day I'll have the free time I crave to indulge in the games I want lol

Allow me to be a bit miserable here:

Remasters / Remakes
Metroid Prime Remastered
Advance Wars 1+2
Pikmin 1+2
Super Mario RPG
Resident Evil 4

Already Released
Fire Emblem Engage - Poor
Tears of the Kingdom - Good, but disappointing compared to BotW (old map made it feel like a quasi-remaster)
Diablo 4 - Great

Still to Come
Everybody 1-2 Switch
Pikmin 4
Super Mario Bros. Wonder
WarioWare Move It !
Starfield
Spiderman 2
Sonic Superstars
Mortal Kombat 1
Street Fighter 6

I don't use remasters in my rankings unless it's an entirely new game (like Zero Mission or FF7 R).

So yeah, it's a great year no doubt, but it can't compare to 2017 at all imo. A lot will depend on how Starfield is received.
SF6 is out

Good question, let's see, just comparing Switch years:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Splatoon 2
Arms
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Doom

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Fire Emblem Engage
Pikmin 4
Octopath Traveler II
Super Mario RPG
Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re-Boot Camp
Sonic Superstars

Ever since last year, I think the main thing 2017 has going for it is variety. They hit the perfect spread of titles that cover each major gameplay style - open world adventure, 3D platformer, an MMO-style JRPG, tacticals, shooter, arena fighter, racing.

2023, in comparison, has an open world adventure game, a 2D platformer, two tactics games, an RTS-style strategy game, a turn-based job system RPG, a classic Square JRPG remake, and a mainline Sonic title.

So in terms of sheer quality and quantity, I would say it has to go to 2023. However, 2017 will always have the perfect evenly-balanced spread of releases.

Already Released
Calling TotK a remaster is deeper cutting and more insulting than any DLC comment I've ever heard hahaha, well done

Good question, let's see, just comparing Switch years:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Splatoon 2
Arms
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Doom

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Fire Emblem Engage
Pikmin 4
Octopath Traveler II
Super Mario RPG
Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re-Boot Camp
Sonic Superstars

Ever since last year, I think the main thing 2017 has going for it is variety. They hit the perfect spread of titles that cover each major gameplay style - open world adventure, 3D platformer, an MMO-style JRPG, tacticals, shooter, arena fighter, racing.

2023, in comparison, has an open world adventure game, a 2D platformer, two tactics games, an RTS-style strategy game, a turn-based job system RPG, a classic Square JRPG remake, and a mainline Sonic title.

So in terms of sheer quality and quantity, I would say it has to go to 2023. However, 2017 will always have the perfect evenly-balanced spread of releases.
If you're comparing just Switch years then it's a much closer battle IMO, like you laid out. It's if you add in the whole industry then I think things go lopsided into 2017's favor, although a lot of that is again going to be personal preference (and things yet to come like Starfield are still unknown). It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the year plays out once we can judge everything, and I haven't even played FF16 yet.

SF6 is out
Sorry, you're right. Haven't played it but reaction to it is clearly wonderful.

If I was to go through the list again to judge another way:
Bought:
Tears of the Kingdom
Metroid Prime Remastered
Pikmin 1+2
Advance Wars 1+2

(That's 3 remasters so far out of 4 bought games - not great)

Will buy:
Pikmin 4
Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Starfield
Mortal Kombat 1

Maybe:
Super Mario RPG
Resident Evil 4

Won't buy:
Fire Emblem Engage (tried it and disliked it)
Diablo 4
Everybody 1-2 Switch
WarioWare Move It !
Spiderman 2
Sonic Superstars
Street Fighter 6

So not the strongest of years for me personally, but a new Zelda, Pikmin and Bethesda game makes it a good one for sure.

Whereas in 2017 I bought Zelda BotW, Mario Odyssey. Horizon Zero Dawn, RE7, Nier Automata, Hollow Knight, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, FE: Echoes, Prey, Sonic Mania, Cuphead, Yakuza 0. MK8D, Gravity Rush 2, Samus Returns and Mario + Rabbids. That's a LOT of games! And only really two that wound up being bad (Persona 5 and Gravity Rush 2)
Calling TotK a remaster is deeper cutting and more insulting than any DLC comment I've ever heard hahaha, well done
Oh boy, I've been trying not to say that on here lol. But with my friends I let fly. Sure, half the time it feels like a brand new game, but half the time it really doesn't even feel like DLC - it feels like the exact same game. The further away from beating it I get the more it is blending with BotW in my mind, like it wasn't even it's own unique thing. Great game, but so disappointing!

It's too early in the Zelda cycle for people to not be acting like this is the greatest game ever made

Criticisms and calling it overrated shouldn't be until next year

Get with the program

While 2017 was a fantastic year and was the year that got me excited about gaming again after a bit of a slump, I have to say TOTK is easily better than BOTW. I even have Mario Odyssey above TOTK. At least in terms of Switch lineup, Mario Wonder and SMRPG will probably expand the gap between the years even more.

Outside of Switch though it varies a lot. Persona 5 is probably gonna be my favorite game of both years, unless like, Mario Wonder totally blows my mind or something. Regardless, this is easily the best year since 2017, so a lot to be excited about regardless.

If Starfield, BG3 and Armored Core deliver it easily is the best year for me.

Is Silksong going to come out this year?

The answer to this question is the same one I will give to the topic. So it's still up in the air.

Oh boy, I've been trying not to say that on here lol. But with my friends I let fly. Sure, half the time it feels like a brand new game, but half the time it really doesn't even feel like DLC - it feels like the exact same game. The further away from beating it I get the more it is blending with BotW in my mind, like it wasn't even it's own unique thing. Great game, but so disappointing!
Hey, I adore the game, think it's superior to BotW, markedly different while evoking nostalgia and baking your understanding of the BotW map into its intrigue, and is one of the greatest games I've ever played 150 hours in, but I still got a kick out of your comment!

Octopath II is my favourite so far this year, but sure, it’s been great! Between that, ToTK, Advance Wars and Fire Enblem I’ve barely put my Switch down.

Just to be clear, we're all operating with the implicit understanding that these years are competing for second behind 2019, right?

Because that was the year Untitled Goose Game came out.

Tough for me to say it has a good shot at being the best year in gaming (are we getting a bunch of forever classics this year?) or even the best year on Switch, but there's enough heavy hitters I could see it having a decent shot for a lot of people.

I've personally really enjoyed so far:
Theathrythm Final Bar Line
Trails To Azure Switch (which I'll count here, but I played the fan translation in 2021)
Like A Dragon Ishin!
Advance Wars Reboot Camp (Online Multiplayer is new!)
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Future Redeemed (Current GOTY, I think)
Zelda Tears of the Kingdom (relatively down on this one, but the other current GOTY front runner for me)

Stuff I'm really excited about:
Final Fantasy XVI (10ish hours in!)
Rain Code
Trails Into Reverie
Pikmin 4
Armored Core VI (my first one!)
Rhapsody 2 and 3
Starfield
The Legend of Nayuta: Boundless Trails
Alan Wake II
Super Mario Bros Wonder
Spider Man 2
Star Ocean 2 (it's a seemingly extensive remake)
WarioWare Move It!
Like A Dragon Gaiden The Man Who Erased His Name
Super Mario RPG (if it has new content, I'll count it)
Tevi
Momodora 5

So yeah lot of stuff I'm looking forward to. If it all pans out and maybe we get a surprise or two it could be a really great year for me. Still have to play Octopath II from earlier in the year too!

It’s 1998 and it isn’t even close:

• Ocarina of time
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Half Life
  • RE2
  • StarCraft
  • Banjo- Kazooie
  • Grim Fandango
  • Baldur’s Gate
  • Thief
  • Xenogears
  • FF Tactics
  • Parasite Eve
  • Pokémon NA launch

I’m not even including tons of others here. Just absolutely stacked year

2017 gave me 3 of my top 10 games in a fairly even succession - Breath of the Wild, Nier Automata and What Remains of Edith Finch.

Then again, 2023 has given me TotK and Prime Remastered. If Starfield becomes a top 10 game - which it has the potential to do - the yes, this will be the best year ever for me personally.

It’s 1998 and it isn’t even close:

• Ocarina of time
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Half Life
  • RE2
  • StarCraft
  • Banjo- Kazooie
  • Grim Fandango
  • Baldur’s Gate
  • Thief
  • Xenogears
  • FF Tactics