• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Interesting how Nintendo partners and the handheld games will be carrying the final year of the Switch.

Steve

Tingle
Pronouns
he/him
I have been thinking recently and how this year we haven't seen any Nintendo main games, instead it's been developed from partners and smaller teams.

GQnZ4gTW0AAVR35

For example.

DK Country returns: Third party, created from forever entertainment.
2D Zelda: Partnership from Grezzo
Mario and Luigi: Rumours of it being ILCA, a third party developers who created Sandland, One Piece Odyssey and sadly Pókemon Remake.
Mario Party: Most likely created from a smaller team and created from NDcube
Paper Mario remake: A remake of a belove classic, which was developed from intelligent system
Mario vs DK: A handheld GBA Remake Developed from Nintendo software technology
Princess Peach Showtime: Developed by good-feel... Not much to say, except their quite knowns for creating cozy games
Prime 4: Created by Retro, would have launched early if Covid and the game didn't get rebooted.

Overall, i'm excited seeing what's the inhouse games will be, since EDP8 and EDP9 will bring the heavy hitters with Mario kart and 3D Mario, meanwhile we might see some external team bringing some heat, make 5 level games.

When the rumors came out that Nintendo reportedly delayed the Switch 2 internally, the cited reason was to bolster their software lineup.

This only further lends credence to that.

They're saving all the heavy hitters for the Switch 2, and you better believe that first year is going to be stacked with a steady stream of bangers.

When the rumors came out that Nintendo reportedly delayed the Switch 2 internally, the cited reason was to bolster their software lineup.

They're saving all the heavy hitters for the Switch 2, and you better believe that first year is going to be stacked with a steady stream of bangers.
I think this flies in the face of that alleged rumor. these games don't pop out of nowhere, they took years to make. this was always the plan

in hindsight i don't think the delay was real, or at least planned as a delay. late 2024 may have been a target, since there are devs saying that's what they were told, but these games coming out now for the most part were likely already planned to come out this year.

That these games are their B-teams was likely also already planned like this. They could not have been able to pivot this quickly.

There was too much smoke for the internal hardware delay to be completely fake. There were reports that third parties were annoyed and that doesn't come from nowhere.

They probably always had some Switch games in mind and maybe moved some up to ensure they have something for the next 6-9 months. Of course there is no magic wand to wave but if there were some smaller projects they could prioritize or games they were sitting on they could release earlier than anticipated, it could help close the gap.

I've assumed for a while that Nintendo's biggest and highest profile teams have been transitioning to Switch 2 projects after they released titles starting a few years ago. I'm expecting a pretty stellar launch year and possibly first few years as the biggest EPD teams, Next Level Games, Monolith Soft, and Retro(?) all release new titles.

That said, I'm a big fan of portable Nintendo, so I welcome games like Another Code Recollection, Mario vs. DK, The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom, and Mario & Luigi Brothership with open arms.

"Mario Party: Most likely created from a smaller team and created from NDcube"

I disagree on the smaller team. Its got more board, minigame and character content then either prior Mario Party on Switch and online day 1 and 20 player online. It retains most Super's modes but with some new and more teased.

Also 2025 has Pokemon and Prime 4 so I dunno if calling 2024 the final year makes sense. 2025 has several more games mark my words.

Honestly, this is a good point and something I didn't notice until you pointed it out but it's very true! I think their ability to not only partner with external developers but to trust them with some of their biggest IPs is why, despite all of thinking that they would have a slower 2024, they can still have a very solid lineup for the rest of the year and early next year! Many of these developers likely do have the resources (or in partnership with Nintendo, receive the resources) to be able to make Nintendo Switch games, allowing Nintendo to devote their internal studios to developing software for the next console! It's honestly a really good strategy that I think was more highlighted on the portable consoles opposed to the home consoles so I'm happy to see that, even with them merging those two divisions, they kept external developers making prominent software as an important key!

I honestly don't remember the last time Nintendo left the holiday season to solely external developers making first-party software (though Mario Party is here!)!! Maybe 2020 with Age of Calamity?

Thats cuz the first year of the Switch 2 will be a FIRST PARTY HEAVEN baby.
New 3D Mario, new Mario Kart, Splatoon 4, ARMS 2, Xenoblade 4, Zelda: The Surprisingly Fast Development of Time...

I've been thinking about this as well, and I've come to the same conclusion.

2025 is gonna be a nutty year in a really good way I feel. Exciting!

in hindsight i don't think the delay was real, or at least planned as a delay. late 2024 may have been a target, since there are devs saying that's what they were told, but these games coming out now for the most part were likely already planned to come out this year.

That these games are their B-teams was likely also already planned like this. They could not have been able to pivot this quickly.
Switch 1 games aren't going to magically disappear once the Switch 2 comes out.

I'm not sure why people think that.

Of course these games were already planned. Nintendo is still going to have their B teams putting out Switch titles even once the Switch 2 releases.

You forgot mention one of the best Nintendo game of the year: Another Code Recollection, a former handheld game (the first one).

More importantly, it is an interesting observation and great too see. I get a feeling we will see more next year.

I mean yeah, sure, if you count first party studios like Retro Studios and subsidiaries like NDCube (and possibly Monolith Soft instead of/alongside ILCA for Mario & Luigi) as "partners", then yeah I guess they don't have any "main" games.

I have been thinking recently and how this year we haven't seen any Nintendo main games, instead it's been developed from partners and smaller teams.

GQnZ4gTW0AAVR35

For example.

Mario Party: Most likely created from a smaller team and created from NDcube

Overall, i'm excited seeing what's the inhouse games will be, since EDP8 and EDP9 will bring the heavy hitters with Mario kart and 3D Mario, meanwhile we might see some external team bringing some heat, make 5 level games.
half of the trailer was just the narrator repeating "the biggest mario party ever" again and again
"smaller team"

This is always a weird conversation because firstly, all these games will be produced by EPD and have varying levels of EPD input, and second, several of the games listed are new mainline titles from first party studios:

• Metroid Prime 4 (new mainline game from a Nintendo subsidiary)
  • Super Mario Party Jamboree (new mainline game from a Nintendo subsidiary)
  • Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom (new mainline game, probably a co-development between EPD3, Grezzo and maybe 1-Up (which is another subsidiary))

Along with the externally developed Mario & Luigi, the titles Nintendo really highlighted this week are the brand new ones. And three of those are successive releases leading into the big holiday season, which shows the value Nintendo places on them. Yeah, three of them are probably middle budget productions, but that's Nintendo's strength. Zelda and Mario Party should each cross the 5 million mark and the latter has a serious shot at 10 million plus.

What's even more odd about the list in the OP is that some of the genuinely small and externally developed productions are missing:

• Endless Ocean Luminous from Arika, a studio with maybe a 50 person headcount
  • Nintendo World Championships: NES Edition, likely a co-developed EPD x indieszero joint, with indieszero again being one of Nintendo's smallest affiliate developers
  • Another Code Recollection, a niche IP remade by Arc System Works

When games like the above exist, we don't need to start classifying mainline Zelda, or games from Nintendo's owned studios, as small or spin-offs. I'm not disputing the idea this year has smaller productions, but a lot of the software line up simply looks very standard at this point. There is a combination of re-releases and smaller studios, but that's both a persistent feature of Nintendo's line ups and something that was easy to expect this year and last.

I think this flies in the face of that alleged rumor. these games don't pop out of nowhere, they took years to make. this was always the plan
i mean its also possible that say Zelda and Mario and Luigi or Mario Party were Switch 1 games planned for 2025 and they are taking place of the Switch 2 launch games which would have been/around in Holiday '24 or other games which needed longer either to make launch or just to release (like maybe Metroid Prime 4, 3D Mario etc...) -

If anything, I actually think this stronger lineup after the start of year partner showcase makes it clear there was some kind of internal reworking of the release schedule to give them a strong holiday in the face of delays of Switch 2/software

What was always the plan? The software? Sure. I don't think this really says anything about the rumor though. Like with regards to Nintendo's internal delay or even the alleged reason for it.

Both things can be true and it's not that crazy for it to be true especially since a lot of us expected Nintendo to support the Switch close to and even after the Switch 2's release. And of course BC.

As others have well explained, I do not believe that we can qualify ND cube or Retro studios as external partners. And when a Zelda game is explicitly mentioned as the next main entry in the series and presented by one of the most iconic faces of Nintendo I don’t think it can fit into this category either, without neglecting the work of Grezzo of course.

Now, on the other point raised by this thread, I find it interesting that as expected, Having only one platform to develop instead of 2 addresses the issue of software shortages experienced by previous Nintendo consoles. Instead of having two unreleased titles for handheld consoles and two unreleased titles for home consoles, you get Mario and Luigi Mario party, Metroid Prime 4, and The legend of Zelda on the same platform. This changes a lot of things in a positive way and this is the meaning of the strategy initiated by Iwata.

We can complete this by observing that the ports become essential to Nintendo’s strategy now. We were wondering how they were going to reproduce a scheme that relies heavily on the exploitation of the Wii U catalog. Well, we already see that the Nintendo Wii, Nintendo GameCube and Nintendo 3DS are being used and will likely continue to be used to ensure a consistent release rate.

Back
Top Bottom