• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Retro In your educated opinion, why is Warioware twisted considered one of the best (if not the best) game in the franchise ?

GeneralSlo

Rattata
Get it together just been released and I thought it would be the right timing to ask this question.

What did Twisted improve over the original game (inc) and what did its sequel like Touched or Smooth move failed to do to improve it ?

Gold being a best of and Get it Together being less than a month old, I think we should exclude them from the conversation.

The only one I haven’t played is Twisted (and DIY which is different) so I can’t speak to OP’s question. Would be very hard to top Smooth Moves in my books and I’m curious to hear what people who have played both think since I’ve also heard Twisted is beloved.

I think Twisted introduced a gimmick that was new at the time and, differently to Smooth Moves and Touched, that gimmick was at the service of the microgames and not the other way. Too many times with Touched and Smooth Moves, microgames felt like a tech demo of what was possible with the new control interface instead of actually fun and interesting to play.

Anyway, I think Get it Together and Gold are better.

I disagree with your premise, Touched is hands down the best Wario Ware game ever*, the variety of the mini-games is astonishing and they're all brilliant. I don't think that having to design them around the dual/touch screen is just a gimmick, that's preposterous.

* I haven't played Get It Togheter yet, just the demo.

Last edited:
It's the only one I haven't played.

I don't know if Get it Together is the best one, but it's the one I see myself spending more time with with all the missions and Wario Cup. I think Smooth Moves is still the most fun overall, with how silly the poses get it's such a fun time with friends. Gold is good for the variety, but I think having to change control schemes all the time hurts the flow of the game.

I have no idea why it is considered the best by so many! Maybe the big cartridge wooed critics?

OG for life.

Wario Ware Twisted is one of the best, thanks to a lot of micro games and little gadgets to play with. The haptic feedback is nice too.

it's because nobody can reasonably get a legit copy. so you're part of the exclusive cool club if you can say "yo Twisted is the best one!" because you either got in early or sold a kidney to get a real copy now.

Gold is my favorite because of the entire package. I know it’s just a best of collection, but the extras and funny stories with each chapter really elevate it.

Get it Together is fantastic and at first I was not sure because it was such a departure but the more the game opened up and got more characters, it just really became something special.

So my order:

1. Gold
2. Get it Together
3. Original GBA

Slight edit. Have the OG an edge over touched.

I think it's considered the best because it released on the GBA after the DS already released. Not as many people played it so it gets cult status. It also released in a time where gyro controls aren't commonplace.

I don't think it's nearly as good as the original or Touched, personally. Worst part is the downgraded visuals, even compared to the first game.

Last edited:
The moment to moment gameplay.

It's the fastest and most direct Wario Ware, the screen is literally in your hands and you move to do things. The results are inmediate.

I don't know if any Wario Ware on 3DS has gone back to gyro controls, so i see Twisted as a happy accident that hasn't been replicated yet.

Twisted is just so solid of a package. Stuffed with Microgames (the most besides Gold), lots of mini games and bonuses beyond the already great first game, and a fun gimmick that works remarkably well for the platform that it's on. Twisted and the original also start its microgames at a faster speed than the other games, so I get a comment like:
The moment to moment gameplay.

It's the fastest and most direct Wario Ware, the screen is literally in your hands and you move to do things. The results are inmediate.

I don't know if any Wario Ware on 3DS has gone back to gyro controls, so i see Twisted as a happy accident that hasn't been replicated yet.

It was always my favorite when I was younger. I understand why they didn't localize it, but Europe missed out big time by not getting it. It's a shame that the game is so hard to experience thanks to the gyro gimmick.

Perhaps it's just me, but I found Touched to be...lesser? I did play Twisted first, even though Touched released first in the US (Japan got Twisted then Touched, however), so maybe I built up Touched more in my mind. Still a good game, can't go wrong with the original run of WarioWare titles.

Not really, there's some directness on gyro gameplay that button pressing doesn't have.

I found Wario Ware Twisted to be effortless. The fastest Wario Ware to play.
There's a directness to touch gameplay that gyro and button pressing doesn't have. There's a directness to pure button gameplay that a mix of gyro and button pressing doesn't have. No need to worry about moving your hands, the buttons are right at your fingertips.

frankly it's just the best set of microgames combined with the most intuitive gimmick. you already know how to play the game from the moment you hold it in your hands. every other control method the series has introduced still has to teach you or at least take a pause in the action to tell you whats going to happen next

There's a directness to touch gameplay that gyro and button pressing doesn't have. There's a directness to pure button gameplay that a mix of gyro and button pressing doesn't have. No need to worry about moving your hands, the buttons are right at your fingertips.
there's a tactile difference to holding the whole system on your hands and moving it around for to immediate effect versus having to delicately hold the system in one hand and the stylus in another so that you're at both the proper viewing angle and still able to write. even gold didn't totally replicate this feeling because of the three control modes occasionally showing up alongside each other and the bottom-heavy 3DS being more unwieldy than the GBA

frankly it's just the best set of microgames combined with the most intuitive gimmick. you already know how to play the game from the moment you hold it in your hands. every other control method the series has introduced still has to teach you or at least take a pause in the action to tell you whats going to happen next

there's a tactile difference to holding the whole system on your hands and moving it around for to immediate effect versus having to delicately hold the system in one hand and the stylus in another so that you're at both the proper viewing angle and still able to write. even gold didn't totally replicate this feeling because of the three control modes occasionally showing up alongside each other and the bottom-heavy 3DS being more unwieldy than the GBA
I would point to the fact that modern smartphones use touch controls over buttons or motion. The idea that holding a stylus is more complicated than pushing buttons while holding a console upside is absurd. You even need to stop to calibrate the gyro because it isn't that advanced.

A Wii remote has a tactile difference too, it's not the most direct.

Last edited:
I would point to the fact that modern smartphones use touch controls over buttons or motion.

A Wii remote has a tactile difference too, it's not the most direct.
but touched did not benefit from capacitive touch screens and was shackled to the DS's form factor. it may be marginal but it's inherently less intuitive than your smartphone.

the wii remote has a dozen different ways to hold it, which smooth moves made use of, but because of that it has to briefly pause the action to tell you what's coming next. there is only one correct way to hold whatever model of GBA you're using. you already know what it is. the game just starts with that knowledge baked in.

One of the gimmicks for Twisted's mini games is even "we abandoned the conceit of the game". It's full of other disappointing technical aspects like blank backgrounds as well. It's solid but it's clear more work went into Touched you know?

the a button is already a common fixture on the game and is used often, and they add a little more variety by having them pop up in the tower modes

i'm not sure why that would ever be considered a knock against it. they add to the whole set and you also get to shoot hands out of a giant robot that poke nose aliens.

this would be like saying touched is itself failing to deliver on its premise by having mike's games

OP add a poll

Anyways, I have played the Twisted, smooth moves, and get it together, and I gotta say, that the lack of games based on some sort of motion control did not make up for the character based gameplay for Get it together. The variety of games and gamplay is missing.

Twisted is extremely good but I have never really understood its 'greatest' status.

Gold really is the best because it combines everything I love about the series into one game.

That said, my favorite will probably always be the original. Maybe it's nostalgia, but I can play Mega Microgames forever.

its not only the best warioware game, it might be the best handheld game of all time.

perfect, concise control mechanism, 200 new games, great side games, all expanding on the (almost as great) original. its a game that exudes soul.

Twisted is simply sublime, and the game that got me into WarioWare. The highly enjoyable gyro gimmick, coupled with the addictive nature of acquiring all the trinkets, made it genuinely hard to put down. An extremely impressive game, especially considering it was on the GBA! And had gyro controls on there!

I played Twisted, Smooth Moves, Touched and Get It Together. Twisted is for sure the best. It basically felt like Smash in terms of content, you had tons of reasons to play it over and over and unlock new stuff.

Smooth Moves was a rental, it was good but it didn’t really have Twisted’s postgame. Your main source of replayability was in the multiplayer, you could also chase high scores but I don’t think the game rewarded you for reaching a certain high score

I got Touched via the Platinum Points for the 3DS. I think it originally came out before Twisted. It’s fine but again, I don’t think it had anything close to Twisted’s postgame

Get It Together is good and definitely not content starved as some people were worried about that before release. However, they definitely dropped the ball in terms of presentation. Every stage is just a very short cutscene followed by some low poly object dancing. There is no options menu, you can’t turn off the characters’ repetitive grunts. The bonus stages are obnoxious and really piss me off for some reason, I think it’s the annoying music, I wish you could turn them off. The post game content is there but they just basically just slapped a huge mobile-like grind on top of the game. The weak presentation honestly keeps me from going back to that game more often. I feel like Rhythm Heaven Megamix’s grind with the coins and flow balls is a lot more compelling to engage with than Get It Together’s dry achievement board and very grindy leveling up for the characters.

It had quality microgames/gadgets that helped pushed it towards the top of people’s lists. It also helped that the gyro function was easy and fun to use. If the gyro ended up being like Yoshi Topsy-Turvy, it would ended up being hated like WarioWare Snapped.

Plus, I think Touched being seen as disappointed at the time helps with the view of Twisted. Touched was just so barebones in comparison.

played this to check it out on the pocket. I was playing the NFT Ape level. It shocking how bland the games are when you play all of them at once, I couldn't tell you who's games they were since they all blend together (outside of the just press A obviously).

I forgot how unintuitive the game can be too-- kept failing a game because it had a menu selection that looks like a warioware 1 game, but you can't use the dpad. This one goes in the junk bin of history.

Smooth Moves is by far the peak of the franchise for me but Twisted is a close second

Can’t really explain why, maybe Mona Pizza lol

Back
Top Bottom