• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News In more Limited run failure their 3do game is a CDr game not pressed will not work on consoles

Added more info to this sad fail saga New

sagadego20

Paratroopa
Pronouns
He/Him

lol
@LimitedRunGames
is shipping out 3DO games on CDR (rather than pressed discs) and the best part: they won’t even work on real hardware

I know I talk about a lot of things on here and people might consider this "drama", but please just hear me out and read until the end. This company is problematic in more ways than one and it's becoming exhausting.
@LimitedRunGames
charges an absolute premium for their "limited releases", yet they're burning CD-Rs for some of the disc based titles.. Yes, you read that correctly. LimitedRunGames is burning CDs and selling them as a "limited games release". LRG is charging $60+ for these 3DO games and they're literally burning them to cheap CD-R media. How can you in good conscious take peoples money while not even properly having these discs pressed? What's "limited" about a CD-R backup? This is the very definition of low effort grifting.
@LimitedRunGames
is literally "ripping" people off with their grifts. Please share and RT this so people can be better informed because whether you like it or not; If nobody says anything about this, then everyone suffers.. I recognize that many larger Youtube channels have vested interests in shoring these people up, but I'm not going to turn a blind eye to this as the community, you people, deserve to be treated better and more fairly. Absolutely outrageous.. A $60+ CD-R backup.

https://twitter.com/Voultar/status/1785760704663896230/photo/1

Last edited:

My copy of D gets delivered tomorrow. Shipping CD-Rs is insulting given the price I paid and time I waited. Their Sega CD releases were pressed, so they can do it. The recent BioFury 3DO homebrew from WorldofGames was pressed and $30 ($50 for long box). I may be done with LRG.

A standard burnt disc should work on real hardware just fine, no?
this was before copy protection was a thing on the format, because CD dumpers were extremely expensive at the time.
having properly pressed disks would still be preferable. but any issue with reading them should be a hardware issue out of LRG’s control.
I know CD-I disk drives in particular are extremely picky about what burned games they accept.

A standard burnt disc should work on real hardware just fine, no?
this was before copy protection was a thing on the format, because CD dumpers were extremely expensive at the time.
having properly pressed disks would still be preferable. but any issue with reading them should be a hardware issue out of LRG’s control.
I know CD-I disk drives in particular are extremely picky about what burned games they accept.
IIRC 3DO doesn't have any actual pirate protection so burnt discs should run, however the quality and type of cd's have changed a lot and the 3DO drive isn't the best one so I can see it failing to read disc

I wonder how many of these they sold? Not many places that will manufacture pressed discs in quantities of less than 300.

Apparently the issue with the CD-R is specifically the burn speed it was burnt at, rather than it being specifically a CD-R...

Either way, what an absolute mess. Even if it was workable, the idea they didn't even press it is wild.

I mean, one of the titles affected is fucking Plumbers Don't Wear Ties... so I might consider this community service on part of LRG. ;)

Now that they finally sent out the Castelvania Advance Collection, I can finally give this company the Long Goodnight and ignore them completely. 👋 Truly awful company to deal with in any capacity over the years.

I still like LRG and have no qualms buying physical switch games from them, but stories like this are why I ultimately didn't buy Shantae Advance physical from them. I don't mind the long delay between order and shipping (I kickstart video and board games all the time), but I'm always worried about buying what is essentially a glorified repo cart/disc at a premium.

Yeah, I think the main issue is anything that's not a propietary format (so basically switch cartridges) buf AFAIK most of the delays and issues are related to those super expensive editions, the ones with only the game are usually delivered within the time frame. Still usually a lot of those versions have an asian /japanese version with multiple languages so I tend to import those

IIRC 3DO doesn't have any actual pirate protection so burnt discs should run, however the quality and type of cd's have changed a lot and the 3DO drive isn't the best one so I can see it failing to read disc
CDR discs are very different produced compared to pressed ones. Modern disk drives don't notice a difference, because they have a huge buffer and of course also fast in reading. The 3DO had a early 90s CD-ROM drive, which was prune to reading issues with the smallest uneven spot/scratch.
From my old time experience (original Sony Discman), you would need high quality CD-Rs and burn them SLOW. That you can find nowadays still high quality CD-Rs is doubtful, except you find old stock, CD-Rs sold today are all crap, as they are produced for max profit. And burning a CD with low speed, i have my doubts that the people at LRG do that. 8x speed on a "modern" CD-Burner is borderline, this is 10 Minutes per CD, to be safe, 2-4x speed would be advisable, which is of course even slower.
So yes, the 3DO can theoretically read burned CDs, but any issue with the CDR or the burning and it is a no show.

Edit: Even more problematic: I highly doubt that people will find CDRs with max 650MB size, I read that the 3DO has problems with bigger sizes, as these kind of CDs were not yet available. Modern CDRs are at least 700MB. At least they used TDK, the TDK CDR74 were my go to CDs until 2000, very reliable. Sony would also work of course.

Last edited:
Piss poor apology from limited run fails New
That seems like a scummy practice. at the very least they should issue a big fat warning before making people lay down that kind of cash for something that might not work at all many.

But OP I gotta say deciphering that thread title gave me a seizure

From the limited run goobers New

Hello! We are actively working with our disc replication partners to provide replacement pressed discs for our customers and hope to find a solution shortly. Also note, no further physical 3DO games will be produced by Limited Run Games until this issue is fully resolved!

Back
Top Bottom