• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic "Impossible Ports": List of games and their respective developers that push the Switch beyond its limits...

The Witcher 3 is the game that blew my mind when I played it in handheld mode. Saber made all the right calls when porting it to Switch in terms of where to make sacrifices, and where to keep elements that are fundamental to the experience.

Honestly, while i think ports like the witcher 3, doom eternal or 2016 and similar are very impressive in a technical sense, they also hurt my eyes, especially due to resolution. Playing anything below 640p is depressing.

If i had to say which is the best of the impressive ports, it would be alien isolation no doubt. Full resolution in both docked mode and handheld mode with a huge and expansive world (or station lol) at a stable 30fps with visuals to match the ps4 and xbox one versions. Sometimes surpass it.

Mario and Rabbids 2. They had to show Switch Pro footage for all the trailers and gameplay segments up untli now because it can barely run on the standard Switch Wiik.

Too bad OP hasn't updated the OP list in a while.

Per DF's recent videos

Wreckfet is a 'perfect on Switch' type port
Zombie Army 4 is another impossible port

That's not a port though. Since the devs targeted Switch (or pro) hardware, it was crafted with limitations taken into account.
big oof on my part. You are right. Thats what I get for trying to be funny,

I don't think games like "Rocket league" should be in this list. The game is ressource hungry even on PC, but only because it is very unoptimized. It's a small arena with some player models and some physic calculations, it should run fine on Wii if the engine was optimized.

On the other hand there are games like Zombie Army or Hellblade that look even on second glance almost like their PC counterparts.

Anyway Zombie Army 4 is a great action game, everyone should play it :)

I've played about 100 hours of Civ 6 on Switch and as much as I love the game, the frame rate absolutely chugs if you choose a larger map later in the game. It also crashes regularly if you choose too many opponents with a long game length, which forced me to abandon one game after several hours. The game literally wouldn't complete the turn.

In short, it's hard for me to think of a game that has so many issues running as an impossible port. Still my favorite way to play that game though!

I've played about 100 hours of Civ 6 on Switch and as much as I love the game, the frame rate absolutely chugs if you choose a larger map later in the game. It also crashes regularly if you choose too many opponents with a long game length, which forced me to abandon one game after several hours. The game literally wouldn't complete the turn.

In short, it's hard for me to think of a game that has so many issues running as an impossible port. Still my favorite way to play that game though!
It's my second most-played game on the Switch behind New Horizons. I must also have logged over 100 hours into it. But sadly I could never get a victory by points because of that slowdown problem. Towards the end of the game, every turn was taking way too long to complete so I never had the patience to endure all the chugging until turn 500.

it's a tbs game and while frame rate isn't less stable in the late game especially on large maps, its never a hinderance to the gameplay.
It's feature complete (all civs, all DLCS) and has cross saves with PC which even the PS4 version lacks.

It's super impressive as a port, as it actually has features even the iOS version doesn't like animated leaders, because Switch generally has more RAM allocated for games than equivalent iOS devices.

It's my second most-played game on the Switch behind New Horizons. I must also have logged over 100 hours into it. But sadly I could never get a victory by points because of that
slowdown problem. Towards the end of the game, every turn was taking way too long to complete so I never had the patience to endure all the chugging until turn 500
Turns do take longer, but it's surprisngly faster (allegedly) than people who play on Surface Pro running the PC version. That had been the go to device for portable.

Civ 6 Switch runs MUCH better than on ever computer I own: Surface Pro 3 and Macbook Pro 2017. Later game turns in large maps takes twice as much time than Switch on my Macbook. And Switch runs it better than my iPad Pro 2020, which still is in sub native resolution, much lower than Switch, which is native.

Crashes are more frequent on computer versions of the game.

it's a tbs game and while frame rate isn't less stable in the late game especially on large maps, its never a hinderance to the gameplay.
It's feature complete (all civs, all DLCS) and has cross saves with PC which even the PS4 version lacks.

It's super impressive as a port, as it actually has features even the iOS version doesn't like animated leaders, because Switch generally has more RAM allocated for games than equivalent iOS devices.

Turns do take longer, but it's surprisngly faster (allegedly) than people who play on Surface Pro running the PC version. That had been the go to device for portable.
Agree with this part 100%, which is part of the reason why it's my favorite way to play the game. It's not like the chugging inhibits the strategy I was using at all.

The crashing issue though made late-game turns tense bc I never knew if I was going to make it. Large Map/Central Sea/Marathon was the combination of factors that was too much.

Paladins was a port that impressed me back in the days; a 60fps current generation game ported with very few compromises, and gyro aiming made it the best console version hands down. A much better experience than overwatch. And a better game too, in my opinion.

Agree with this part 100%, which is part of the reason why it's my favorite way to play the game. It's not like the chugging inhibits the strategy I was using at all.

The crashing issue though made late-game turns tense bc I never knew if I was going to make it. Large Map/Central Sea/Marathon was the combination of factors that was too much.
I recently encountered the crashing on a specific game with Canada, where my save would always crash at a specific point, seems to be if you save in-between turns when the game hands over control to you to move a unit or make a decision like world congress, it must be a combination of things causing it, but it's possible to get past it. Alternatively if you have the game on PC, you can save to the cloud play past that point on PC save and go back to your game as well. That said I've played at least 10 games always on Large maps, so this is the first time I've seen that.

But given games are so long, i can see why it can sour ones expectations. I'd say the crashing issue occurs, but it not a common thing.

I recently encountered the crashing on a specific game with Canada, where my save would always crash at a specific point, seems to be if you save in-between turns when the game hands over control to you to move a unit or make a decision like world congress, it must be a combination of things causing it, but it's possible to get past it. Alternatively if you have the game on PC, you can save to the cloud play past that point on PC save and go back to your game as well. That said I've played at least 10 games always on Large maps, so this is the first time I've seen that.

But given games are so long, i can see why it can sour ones expectations. I'd say the crashing issue occurs, but it not a common thing.
Crash is too rare for me on Switch.

On Surface Pro, however it's very common. Whenever someone declares war on me (I hate that it's totally random in Civ 6) I levy the armies of my suzerain states and insta-buy a few units then the next turn, it always crashes. For some reason Epic client also crashes. Another issue is that the game turns my both computers into fiery hot grills. I could fry some eggs on them.

On Surface Pro, however it's very common. Whenever someone declares war on me (I hate that it's totally random in Civ 6) I levy the armies of my suzerain states and insta-buy a few units then the next turn, it always crashes. For some reason Epic client also crashes. Another issue is that the game turns my both computers into fiery hot grills. I could fry some eggs on them.
how does Switch turn times compare to Surfrace Pro? I recall you had mentioned they were actually longer on Surface Pro.

how does Switch turn times compare to Surfrace Pro? I recall you had mentioned they were actually longer on Surface Pro.
A tad bit better. I tested it with playing the same save file on two platforms, both were around 1 minute turns on large map with 6 players, with lots of units on the map. Switch's turn ended 10 seconds before Surface. My Macbook's turns took exact same time as Surface.

Worst one is iPad. You can't even play on Large and big maps on iPads older than 2020 models and the models that can take forever to pass a turn on those maps. Not to mention there are bigger cutbacks on the iOS version: No animation for Leaders, units, wonder builds, cut music, lower resolution... Switch is the best version out of all four I have played.

The fact that you've had problems on the Surface Pro and MacBook suggests that overall the game isn't well-optimized. I've also played on a desktop PC where it ran incredibly smoothly, but ideally the game would scale better. It ran alright on my Asus laptop, but those loading times were loooong.

The fact that you've had problems on the Surface Pro and MacBook suggests that overall the game isn't well-optimized. I've also played on a desktop PC where it ran incredibly smoothly, but ideally the game would scale better. It ran alright on my Asus laptop, but those loading times were loooong.
My PC rig is also over powerful, this is where its meant to be played. The mobile fork is what got ported to Switch and the other consoles however. I think the issue with Civ on mobile devices is RAM. iOS devices are very bad. Even Switch has more RAM than most iOS devices that run Civ 6. which is why Switch Civ get leaders in full 3D and animatred, whilst iOS are just still portraits.

To me I don't REALLY think PS360 ports feel like "impossible ports', they just need competent devs and such, but Switch is supposed to be much more powerful than PS3 and 360 so it's basically expected to be more than capable in getting and enhancing ports from those systems.

What bothers me is that impossible ports seem fewer these days than before, and barely any come from Japan. Nier Automata feels like a rarity, as I think the only other JP impossible port is... Dragon Quest XI, another SE game.

Plus folks like QLOC haven't been present as much as they should. QLOC did really impressive ports of Hellblade and Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighbourville and remasters like Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen and Tales of Vesperia... but why have they not been put on many more Switch ports? Feral Interactive also but they have those XBLA Tomb Raider ports coming at some point, but they've been proven to be 2nd to none with their PS360 ports of Grid Autosport and Alien Isolation, why aren't they doing more AAA ports of the such?

Sabre's been more on the ball and probably have done some of the flat out best work on the system, with Witcher 3 being the BIGGEST impossible port without question and their ports of the Crysis trilogy being something else (among the top of the PS360 games technically bar none), and they are doing Kingdom Come: Deliverance so that's another Impossible Port coming up.

Virtuos (also behind Nier Automata) has been a regular with Starlink and Dying Light being their most impressive so far, with some great remasters like the Bioshock trilogy, but others less so (Dark Souls and Assassin's Creed III). Though their ports of Final Fantasy X, X-2, and XII seem to be good from what I've heard as well? Hopefully they deliver on Automata. Also Outer Worlds started very rough but seemingly came together after that giant patch months later, similarly with XCOM 2 IIRC.

But yeah we NEED more big ports from Japan, it just seems there's far fewer of them than western ones, it's very bizarre and you'd think it'd be the other way around where Switch would be showered with JP ports and lacking in western ones. Very strange.

To me I don't REALLY think PS360 ports feel like "impossible ports', they just need competent devs and such, but Switch is supposed to be much more powerful than PS3 and 360 so it's basically expected to be more than capable in getting and enhancing ports from those systems.

What bothers me is that impossible ports seem fewer these days than before, and barely any come from Japan. Nier Automata feels like a rarity, as I think the only other JP impossible port is... Dragon Quest XI, another SE game.

Plus folks like QLOC haven't been present as much as they should. QLOC did really impressive ports of Hellblade and Plants vs. Zombies: battle for Neighbourville and remasters like Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen and Tales of Vesperia... but why have they not been put on many more Switch ports? Feral Interactive also but they have those XBLA Tomb Raider ports coming at some point, but they've been proven to be 2nd to none with their PS360 ports of Grid Autosport and Alien Isolation, why aren't they doing more AAA ports of the such?

Sabre's been more on the ball and probably have done some of the flat out best work on the system, with Witcher 3 being the BIGGEST impossible port without question and their ports of the Crysis trilogy being something else (among the top of the PS360 games technically bar none), and they are doing Kingdom Come: Deliverance so that's another Impossible Port coming up.

Virtuos (also behind Nier Automata) has been a regular with Starlink and Dying Light being their most impressive so far, with some great remasters like the Bioshock trilogy, but others less so (Dark Souls and Assassin's Creed III). Though their ports of Final Fantasy X, X-2, and XII seem to be good from what I've heard as well? Hopefully they deliver on Automata.

But yeah we NEED more big ports from Japan, it just seems there's far fewer of them than western ones, it's very bizarre and you'd think it'd be the other way around where Switch would be showered with JP ports and lacking in western ones. Very strange.
I don't think any ps360 games are being considered as impossible ports.

I've updated the list of impossible ports to include Sniper Elite 3/4 and the recent Zombie Army 4 game.
Too bad OP hasn't updated the OP list in a while.

Per DF's recent videos

Wreckfet is a 'perfect on Switch' type port
Zombie Army 4 is another impossible port
Do you know who's the developer behind Wreckfest? I've forgotten off the top of my head...

Plus folks like QLOC haven't been present as much as they should. QLOC did really impressive ports of Hellblade and Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighbourville and remasters like Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen and Tales of Vesperia... but why have they not been put on many more Switch ports? Feral Interactive also but they have those XBLA Tomb Raider ports coming at some point, but they've been proven to be 2nd to none with their PS360 ports of Grid Autosport and Alien Isolation, why aren't they doing more AAA ports of the such?

Virtuos (also behind Nier Automata) has been a regular with Starlink and Dying Light being their most impressive so far, with some great remasters like the Bioshock trilogy, but others less so (Dark Souls and Assassin's Creed III). Though their ports of Final Fantasy X, X-2, and XII seem to be good from what I've heard as well? Hopefully they deliver on Automata. Also Outer Worlds started very rough but seemingly came together after that giant patch months later, similarly with XCOM 2 IIRC.

Assassins Creed 3 remaster and Liberarion are works of Ubisoft Barcelona, not Virtuos

(The others Assassins Creed ports are work of Ubisoft Chendgu)

And the Dark souls remaster is a good port.

i mean im glad it is the way it is, we barely get western games already lmao

I've updated the list of impossible ports to include Sniper Elite 3/4 and the recent Zombie Army 4 game.

Do you know who's the developer behind Wreckfest? I've forgotten off the top of my head...
Bugbear Entertainment on the original. Not sure about the port.

I don't think any ps360 games are being considered as impossible ports.
I mean... the OP literally has Metro Redux which originally were PS360 games, even if the Redux versions were made for PS4 and XBO.
Assassins Creed 3 remaster and Liberarion are works of Ubisoft Barcelona, not Virtuos

(The others Assassins Creed ports are work of Ubisoft Chendgu)

And the Dark souls remaster is a good port.
You sure? The PR for AC3+Liberation mentioned Virtuos IIRC. Actually wasn't Ezio Collection also by Virtuos? But not 4 and Rogue I think, never saw Virtuos referenced for those.

I mean... the OP literally has Metro Redux which originally were PS360 games, even if the Redux versions were made for PS4 and XBO.

You sure? The PR for AC3+Liberation mentioned Virtuos IIRC. Actually wasn't Ezio Collection also by Virtuos? But not 4 and Rogue I think, never saw Virtuos referenced for those.
Im sure.

3 is Ubisoft Barcelona

Rogue, Black Flag and Ezio on Switch are Ubisoft Chendgu

All AC ports are internal proyects, the only external proyect port of Ubisoft was Scott Pilgrim remaster by Engine Software.

Virtuos only help in Liberarion HD for all platforms (with ubisoft Barcelona), and the ports of Ezio Collection to PS4 and One

Last edited:
Dragon Ball Z Kakarot and Ni No Kuni 2 are definitely "impossible ports", both are pretty demanding PS4 era games. Kakarot especially impressed me a lot, huge open world with minimal sacrifices.

Upcoming SAO Alicization Lycrois should be another. The game struggles on other platforms, whoever porting it has to optimize it to hell and back on Switch for a smooth gameplay (most likely Engine).

And speaking of which, I think we should add Ubisoft Chendgu to the list, they are the switchportTeam at Ubisoft.
The latest hires from that studio stated that they were adapting an AAA to Switch, wanting to know what it is (probably AC Unity and Syndicate)

And speaking of which, I think we should add Ubisoft Chendgu to the list, they are the switchportTeam at Ubisoft.
The latest hires from that studio stated that they were adapting an AAA to Switch, wanting to know what it is (probably AC Unity and Syndicate)
I really wanna know what they'll do next. My personal request is the compilation of modern Far Cry games (3-4-Blood Dragon) but they're most likely continue from Assassin's Creed. Odyssey is my guess.

That PoP remake was passed on to Ubi Montreal and they do great job bringing games to Switch. They don't need Chengdu's help.

it's because it's based on the 'Redux' version which was only released on PS4 and XBONE. They were early next-gen remakes at the time and looks quite impressive. Here's DF gushing about it. They did compare to the 360 orginal, and the Switch blows those out of the water. The impossible part is getting very close to the PS4.

Im sure.

3 is Ubisoft Barcelona

Rogue, Black Flag and Ezio on Switch are Ubisoft Chendgu

All AC ports are internal proyects, the only external proyect port of Ubisoft was Scott Pilgrim remaster by Engine Software.

Virtuos only help in Liberarion HD for all platforms (with ubisoft Barcelona), and the ports of Ezio Collection to PS4 and One
How intriguing, didn't know the Chengdu team was that crucial for Ubisoft's Switch port efforts.

I'm actually shocked we've yet to see The Division on Switch as that was what Snowdrop was built for. Even a late port of the first one wouldn't be a terrible idea today I'd think. Plus as pointed out ports of Far Cry 3 and 4 (plus Blood Dragon) feel pretty long overdue.

Wreckfest is definitely worthy of the list; it may not be a graphical showpiece, but its extensive physics systems are really heavy and the fact they got those running on Switch's lightweight CPU at a mostly stable 30fps is a heck of a feat of engineering.

There are still a fair few impossible ports these days; just in the last two years we have gotten the likes of Doom Eternal, Sniper Elite 4, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Dying Light, World War Z, Wreckfest, and Zombie Army 4.

Looking ahead, we gave Bright Memory Infinite, F.I.S.T. Forged in Shadow Torch, Nier Automata, Redout 2, Sonic Frontiers, Overwatch 2, and Kingdom Come Deliverance for instance as notable Switch adaptions from much more powerful systems that look to push the hardware.

I agree as far as I too would love to see more Switch ports from the likes of QLOC and Feral, but I'm glad the conversions are at least still coming, which shows that they're commercially viable.

Last edited:
Yeah after reading up on it I think I’m going to give zombie army a shot. The developers worked their ass off to get the game running on switch in a very good state.

I’m playing Wolfenstein The New Colossus on my Oled and it looks incredible despite the games graphics being downgraded and runs at low resolution at times.

Bright Memory Infinite, by FYQD Studio.

Probably the closest I have seen a Switch game come to genuinely looking like it's running a much stronger system.
There are obviously cutbacks from PS5/Xbox Series, but remarkably they feel less intrusive than the cutbacks from even most PS4/Xbone ports.
A truly stunning technical achievement.

Should add the Subnautica and Subnautica below zero switch ports.

After receiving tons of popular demand from fans asking about a switch version, Unknown worlds announced that after trying and testing hardware viability the switch just could not run the game at a playable performance because of how they designed it's open world streaming system.

Enter Shiny Shoe who helped turn everything around and now we have two great playing switch ports of absolutely fantastic games.

Should Also add Astroneer.

The games visuals are deceptive at first glance because they appear to be simplistic, almost minimalist, but this isn't what makes astroneer impressive or demanding.

The environment in astroneer is entirely voxel based, meaning it's fully editable by the player. All of it. They player can carve out and extrude to their hearts content, the entire environement. As in the entire planet. This games size is not measured in surface area but in volume. And that's as in all the planets and moons in the solar system. As in you can dig straight to the center of the planet. Or build a roller coaster through it with the trains update that just released. And it stays. Forever. Including all your garbage, you ever left anywhere. It also features extensive automation, where you can have a chain of mechanical arms literally extending across the planet to carry your junk you found back to your base, while you make more junk. everything on the planet, and beyond has applied physics. By beyond I mean instead of building a rocket to safely and reliably launch you to another planet, you can build a massive ramp, attach the rockets to your dune buggy instead of a space shuttle, and attempt to steer your car into a passing planet. Which, despite being very very large, are surprisingly fast and hard to hit sometimes. There is no loading, the entire solar system is streamed. Very impressive getting that sheer level of everything is interactive and systemic onto the switch.

I think the switch version was an in house port from System Era Games. It had a bit of a rough patch at launch, as their were some weird issues under certain conditions, like certain missions being active tanking performance, or playing multiplayer on a certain planet with a certain missions active, again, just tanking performance.

Several patches later and the game runs much much better. It generally only reproducably briefly stutters when saving, and when going through massive changes in frustum view at very high speeds, specifically coming out to the open surface world by your base from deep underground on a train at full speed. Aside from that there are just random hiccups now and then.

I have heard that very large and complicated base building can hamper performance, but I have a double decker base with mechanical arms going between the levels carrying resources I deliver at a drop off point to their designated storage receptacles, along with my containment canisters and spilled materials littering the ground, and I barely notice anything. I'm thinking this may be in regards to the BASE BUILDER base builders, dudes who like, make functioning computers out of the mechanical tools and shit that cover half the planet in a single interconnected machine of hundreds of moving parts.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom