• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion If Xenoblade Was Made Into An Anime: Sub Or Dub?

sub or dub

• sub

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • dub

Votes: 65 73.0%

• Total voters
If it got the original voice actors, or at least a similar sounding cast, dub all the way

Preferably all the actions scenes would need to have a bunch of voicelines over them at all times though

Dub, for it is the only option out of the two that would feature the miracle of Welsh catgirls.

If they got the game VAs, dub. But I’m generally not into video game anime adaptations. Even including visual novels and ADV games.

The English dub is literally where most of the enjoyment of the game‘s story & dialogue comes from.

You’d be mad to choose the Japanese cast over the English one.

While sub will pretty much retain its entire cast, there is a very high chance that Nintendo will bring back the original voice cast of the dub version of the game for the dub version of the anime.
If Nintendo has to recast the entire original British voice cast from the game dub with a new American voice cast for the anime dub, who will be your casting choices?

99.9% of the time I am a subs purist

With a Xenoblade anime I'd go dubbed all the way. The likes of Reyn, Nia, Malos, and Eunie demand it

XB english=

Joking of course, but seriously as someone not used to britsh and near the area english, already have to put subs, so might as well just put it in other language. so subs for me

The English dub is literally where most of the enjoyment of the game‘s story & dialogue comes from.

You’d be mad to choose the Japanese cast over the English one.
Citation needed. I enjoy the Japanese version just fine.

The JP casts have had a number of big name VAs that have been doing anime and games forever. I have more attachment to hearing people like Wakamoto do their thing than any of the dub people. I've not been particularly fond of any of the dubs for the Xenoblade games anyway, although I'm enjoying the Future Reconnected one for the most part.

Beyond all that though, odds are if it was produced like any normal anime, you'd have some level of wait time to get dubbed episodes.

Do you watch foreign live action movies dubbed?

assuming there is one? of course

watching something and having to split my attention to also read it if I want to understand it is a pretty awful experience compared to just having the audio be in a language I actually understand

Both options so that both groups can be satisfied. I'll go dubbed if it has the same cast.

Xenoblade I'm watching dubbed. The dubs are incredibly solid. I normally prefer to watch something in the original language it was produced but Xenoblade feels great in English

assuming there is one? of course

watching something and having to split my attention to also read it if I want to understand it is a pretty awful experience compared to just having the audio be in a language I actually understand
I'd never watch a live action dub by choice but I guess there's an audience for them. Games and animation I can understand but knowing real people are being dubbed over like that just takes me out of it entirely. Subtitles have never once been a barrier.

Whichever version spares me from conservative transphobes like Adam Howden, I think i'd pick.

both? either? i've watched multiple series both dubbed and subbed as i enjoy both. TTGL and NGE both have insanely great dubs. Tomo-Chan is a Girl, more recently, has an amazing simulcast dub.

If it’s the original English dub cast, dub for sure. If not whatever comes out first I guess.

I normally don't watch English dub (if I watch dub than German) but for Xenoblade I would absolutelly watch the English dub if it's a British cast. Xenoblade for me IS British.

Dub as long as they’d manage to snag the original cast. If not, then maybe I’d check out a couple of dubbed episodes, but otherwise I think I’d stick to subs.

On a related note, I’d be most invested in a Xenoblade anime if they got Masatsugu Saito back to do the character designs.

Dub.
I need my welsh cat girl and I really need Jenna Coleman Melia.

Sub, english and anime doesn't work for me. Always sounds bad to me
My issue with a lot of English dubs is how often they try to mimic Japanese style acting. English VA and Japanese VA are rooted in different dramatic practices and I feel when English speakers try to mimic the various idiosyncrasies of speaking Japanese it doesn’t always work.

You’ll always lose stuff in translation in a dub no matter how good or accurate it is, but even today when dubs are probably more faithful than ever a lot of times when I sit down and try to watch them I get distracted listening to actors doing takes that just don’t feel naturalistic in that language.

Dubs are good for people who watch them, more options are always good. But I always strongly dislike the takes in these threads that amount to “how could you ever listen to stuff in another language.” This is how a lot of the world does it lol

My issue with a lot of English dubs is how often they try to mimic Japanese style acting. English VA and Japanese VA are rooted in different dramatic practices and I feel when English speakers try to mimic the various idiosyncrasies of speaking Japanese it doesn’t always work.

You’ll always lose stuff in translation in a dub no matter how good or accurate it is, but even today when dubs are probably more faithful than ever a lot of times when I sit down and try to watch them I get distracted listening to actors doing takes that just don’t feel naturalistic in that language.

Dubs are good for people who watch them, more options are always good. But I always strongly dislike the takes in these threads that amount to “how could you ever listen to stuff in another language.” This is how a lot of the world does it lol
Yeah exactly the same problem for me. My native language is german and even though there are also many bad synchronized anime in german language, ghibli movies for example are always good dubbed in german and I could watch them. But I still did not saw an english dubbed anime where I thought the voice acting was good. Always over the top. But it is also not important to me to have english dubs because it is not my native language and I don't see why I should prefer english over the original language, if german is not available. In germany and austria we get so much english everyday because US/UK media and popculture is so big here, so it is nice to get a break from that sometimes

Yeah exactly the same problem for me. My native language is german and even though there are also many bad synchronized anime in german language, ghibli movies for example are always good dubbed in german and I could watch them. But I still did not saw an english dubbed anime where I thought the voice acting was good. Always over the top. But it is also not important to me to have english dubs because it is not my native language and I don't see why I should prefer english over the original language, if german is not available. In germany and austria we get so much english everyday because US/UK media and popculture is so big here, so it is nice to get a break from that sometimes
I also think a lot of English dubs have really bad sound mixing. Like sometimes the voices are soooooo loud. This gets comical when you watch an English dub of a show like Saint Seiya and Sailor Moon (the modern dubs), where the sound effects and soundtrack are in mono and the dub is with modern stereo tech and my god it sounds jarring lol.

i don't think Japanese and English voice acting are really that different, especially as English voice actors tend to also work in Western cartoons. Emotional, dramatic, over the top voice acting has also been a part of English for hundreds of years, with radio plays, stage plays, etc.

i don't think Japanese and English voice acting are really that different, especially as English voice actors tend to also work in Western cartoons. Emotional, dramatic, over the top voice acting has also been a part of English for hundreds of years, with radio plays, stage plays, etc.
I think it's partially an issue of tone and script as well. Western animation can have literally any dialogue the writers, directors and producers want, and can edit a scene in production if they think a different take is better. Anime dubbing is limited by mouth flaps and sometimes the body language of the character, so you can't really "change" it too much if it's not working. I feel this is less of an issue with video games which are often designed in mind with both Japanese and English in mind (or mouth animations can be tweaked where appropriate).

A big difference also is how much more exposition-heavy anime is (and most Japanese filmmaking in general). Lots and lots of dialogue, often in the middle of a scene. This is partially a result of budget and production time (easier to animate two talking heads than a complicated visual sequence), but also sometimes the material (I tend to think a lot of anime adaptations of manga are too literal and feel the need to adapt literally every speech bubble even if it slows the pace down to a crawl). It's also generally just more "accepted" in Japanese filmmaking for characters to talk about how they're feeling in a scene, with the old adage "show don't tell" drilled into the head of every English speaking writer.

There are still plenty of good dubs that can get around this issue as much as they can, but it rarely feels as natural to me as dialogue in an American series. Which I recognize might be a bit of a high bar to clear, asking the dialogue and performances to sound as natural as an American show, but that's why ultimately I would rather just watch anime in Japanese, and occasionally rewatch it dubbed as a bonus.

Also, I gotta ask anime dub script writers to stop subbing in "bastard" for shit like きさま. It always sounds so awkward and unnatural. At least use "asshole," or something. "Bastard" used as an insult like that is just... clunky lol

I think it's partially an issue of tone and script as well. Western animation can have literally any dialogue the writers, directors and producers want, and can edit a scene in production if they think a different take is better. Anime dubbing is limited by mouth flaps and sometimes the body language of the character, so you can't really "change" it too much if it's not working. I feel this is less of an issue with video games which are often designed in mind with both Japanese and English in mind (or mouth animations can be tweaked where appropriate).

A big difference also is how much more exposition-heavy anime is (and most Japanese filmmaking in general). Lots and lots of dialogue, often in the middle of a scene. This is partially a result of budget and production time (easier to animate two talking heads than a complicated visual sequence), but also sometimes the material (I tend to think a lot of anime adaptations of manga are too literal and feel the need to adapt literally every speech bubble even if it slows the pace down to a crawl). It's also generally just more "accepted" in Japanese filmmaking for characters to talk about how they're feeling in a scene, with the old adage "show don't tell" drilled into the head of every English speaking writer.

There are still plenty of good dubs that can get around this issue as much as they can, but it rarely feels as natural to me as dialogue in an American series. Which I recognize might be a bit of a high bar to clear, asking the dialogue and performances to sound as natural as an American show, but that's why ultimately I would rather just watch anime in Japanese, and occasionally rewatch it dubbed as a bonus.

Also, I gotta ask anime dub script writers to stop subbing in "bastard" for shit like きさま. It always sounds so awkward and unnatural. At least use "asshole," or something. "Bastard" used as an insult like that is just... clunky lol

in terms of cursing, it's because most Japanese stuff that are considered "coarse language" would be extremely tame when translated into English. the most extreme of Japanese language isn't really used even in fiction much. Japanese as a language and society is just way more strict in tone. my partner, who speaks Japanese first, has complained in the past about how often subtitles or localizations make things a bit more extreme.

in terms of cursing, it's because most Japanese stuff that are considered "coarse language" would be extremely tame when translated into English. the most extreme of Japanese language isn't really used even in fiction much. Japanese as a language and society is just way more strict in tone. my partner, who speaks Japanese first, has complained in the past about how often subtitles or localizations make things a bit more extreme.
Sure, I get that. I'm just saying "bastard" is not really common parlance in modern English as an insult, it sounds too formal, for lack of a better word, for what is supposed to be insulting. "Asshole" might be a bit harsh for きさま (definitely way too harsh for てめぇ), but as an example when I play Persona games and you have teenagers calling characters "bastard," it just sounds... off, to me.

But I agree, localizers definitely try too hard to make the series they adapt sound "cool." I also really dislike it when shonen anime dubs liberally throw in "fuck" and "shit." These are series aimed at 10 year olds, but that has been mostly lost in America I think where most shonen are thought of as "for teens." It just seems... I don't know, inappropriate? Like, Queen in One Piece has a terrific dub performance for the most part, but I'm not a huge fan of that "shit" thrown in at the end. Takes me out of the scene lol

It's I suppose a very literal translation of ゴミクズ, but the harshness just feels a bit out of place in a series like One Piece.

Anyway, localization and dubbing will always be a tug-of-war between being "accurate" and conveying things in a way that make more sense in that language. It's a difficult balance to hit, with a lot of factors to consider.

Back
Top Bottom