• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion If The Next 3D Mario Is Open World Do You Want It Set In The Mushroom Kingdom Or Somewhere Completely New?

The Mushroom Kingdom, Sarasaland, and Dinosaur Land!

The mushroom kingdom always seems so vaguely defined to me that I’m not really sure what specifically defines it compared to other fantasy places Mario has been. They could literally create something completely new and if it’s got some grass, forts, some pipes, mushrooms and blocks, it might as well be ‘mushroom kingdom’. I guess I associate it more with the cast, with the Toads and Peach?

I would think the whole point of an open world 3D Mario is to have the variety of Odyssey, just interconnected.
I'd say you can still do that with the Mushroom Kingdom - it's not like it has a hard setting or lore. It would also be cool to have a definitive version of the Mushroom Kingdom, kind of like BOTW/TOTK's Hyrule.

IMO, the ideal open world Mario starts the player in the center (I guess where Peach's Castle would be), and then push out from there, with the "rings" around it representing higher difficulty levels the further you go out.

Mushroom Kingdom, but give us the defenitive Mushroom Kingdom, like we've never seen before.

Basically, do what BoTW did for Hyrule, where they bring in area names, elements, locations, etc from all throughout the series history and merge them together into one mega sized map that shapes how we view the Mushroom Kingdom forever.

I want to be able to walk from Bob Omb Battlefield to the Van Goh Forest to Choco Mountain all in one game.

Something like this fanart map

40ipogs9p8b51.jpg

I thought about making a Fun Club thread about this a few weeks ago and never did, but I recently realized that the Mushroom Kingdom really isn't as common of a setting for the Mario platformers as one might think. At least half of the mainline games are set somewhere else, or only have a very small look at the Mushroom Kingdom.

To answer the question, I would love the 3D Mario game on Switch 2 to really explore the Mushroom Kingdom for the first time in a definitive way. The movie posters made me really want to explore something of this nature in a game:

FeOyyaFXEAEI3SA.jpg:large

MV5BZTlkODdmZTgtOWU5MC00N2IzLWExODEtOWQ1MDQxZTViZWQ0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTUzMTg2ODkz._V1_.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say you can still do that with the Mushroom Kingdom - it's not like it has a hard setting or lore. It would also be cool to have a definitive version of the Mushroom Kingdom, kind of like BOTW/TOTK's Hyrule.

IMO, the ideal open world Mario starts the player in the center (I guess where Peach's Castle would be), and then push out from there, with the "rings" around it representing higher difficulty levels the further you go out.
I agree and that's why I didn't say no to it being the Mushroom Kingdom.

Really you can just make the Mushroom Kingdom up as you go along, but I do think it's that vagueness that is tripping up some people, since most people will probably associate Mushroom Kingdom with some of the more standard Mario themes. I also think starting with what's arguably the most boring and bog-standard part of the Mario universe (beginning at the actual Mushroom Kingdom itself) would be a little disappointing. It could be cool, for sure, but the difference between Breath of the Wild is that I don't think Hyrule Fields is that much worse than other areas in the game, whereas the Mushroom Kingdom stuck out as one of the least imaginative areas visually in Odyssey to me. I also don't really think Nintendo would go about mapping different areas in a Mario game like they did with Hyrule incorporating different areas from prior games, though that could be cool. Something like mapping out where the Ice World is from Mario 3, mappping out where Yoshi's Island is, etc.

It's weird after so long we still literally never had a real 3D explorable Mushroom Kingdom. 64 was barely a dream-like depiction of small slices of its elements, then Sunshine was actually the first substantial example of a real living place you can walk around, and then they never made a return ever since establishing that format. You could technically say 3D Land came the closest but that's a stretch, it's more of a 2D game than 3D World.

The SMW/RPG depiction of a donut-shaped continent or chain of islands would make for a great template if they go for open world, having distinct zone sections to progress through without loading screens, they already played with this idea with Bowser's Fury.

I thought about making a Fun Club thread about this a few weeks ago and never did, but I recently realized that the Mushroom Kingdom really isn't as common of a setting for the Mario platformers as one might think. At least half of the mainline games are set somewhere else, or only have a very small look at the Mushroom Kingdom.

To answer the question, I would love the 3D Mario game on Switch 2 to really explore the Mushroom Kingdom for the first time in a definitive way. The movie posters made me really want to explore something of this nature in a game:

FeOyyaFXEAEI3SA.jpg:large

MV5BZTlkODdmZTgtOWU5MC00N2IzLWExODEtOWQ1MDQxZTViZWQ0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTUzMTg2ODkz._V1_.jpg
I also think the fact that Super Nintendo World looks so similar to the Mushroom Kingdom of the movie makes we think we're getting the trifecta.

Game, Movie, Themepark, all in the "same" world. You can watch the Mushroom Kingdom, then play in it, and then walk around it yourself. If I'm Nintendo and I'm trying to get a whole new generation into Mario, that's what I'm delivering.

Peak brand synergy.

We just went somewhere new! Take me home, country roads, to the place I belong!

Quoted by: Joe
Tbf the mushroom kingdom might actually be interesting, especially considering it hasn’t been a location for a 3d Mario since 25 years. And 2d Mario also seems to be leaving it behind.

I think having something related to the movie and at the same time being it's own thing would be cool. I do wonder how it will look, but I am pretty excited about the idea :D.

There hasn't been a 3D Mario that has taken place wholly in the Mushroom Kingdom since 64, so I'd love to see Mario run around there again.

I think it's very debatable if Mario 64's levels are slices of the Mushroom Kingdom or completely alternate worlds that only exist in paintings. Peach's Castle is the only portion of the game we can be sure is set in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Sunshine is set in Isle Delfino

Galaxy 1 and 2 have small Mushroom Kingdom segments but the games are set across the entire universe. Odyssey also similarly only has a small Mushroom Kingdom level and that is the same amount of ground as seen in Mario 64.

3D World is set in the Sprixie Kingdom, and Bowser's Fury is in Lake Lapcat.

3D Land is the only one we can be sure is set entirely in the Mushroom Kingdom, and even that is a very abstract 2D Mario-esque look at it.

It's about time we get a full 3D Mario 100% set in the Mushroom Kingdom.

The last 3D Mario set on Mushroom Kingdom was 3D Land...

3D World is on Sprixie Kingdom;
Odyssey obviously is across many different kingdoms;
and Bowser's Fury is solely centered on the Lake Lapcat area;

and prior that.. the two Galaxy games are on space, and Sunshine is on Isle Delfino, with 64 being the only one set on familiar Mushroom Kingdom territory.

I'd like another game that has a fully realized version of Mushroom Kingdom, yeah.. but I rather it not be Open World.

EDIT: only now seen how my post is super redudant, sorry! 💦 .. But I do want a linear, level to level, 3D Mario game again.

Mushroom Kingdom, but give us the defenitive Mushroom Kingdom, like we've never seen before.

Basically, do what BoTW did for Hyrule, where they bring in area names, elements, locations, etc from all throughout the series history and merge them together into one mega sized map that shapes how we view the Mushroom Kingdom forever.

I want to be able to walk from Bob Omb Battlefield to the Van Goh Forest to Choco Mountain all in one game.

Something like this fanart map

40ipogs9p8b51.jpg
I would die for this.

I would die for this.
I think it's legit the direction they're going.

Plus, 2D Mario's have always done a more traditionally grounded Mushroom Kingdom while 3D have gone to more wacky locales

Until now...where Mario Wonder is going to a more wackly locale, so maybe the 3D game will get to play in Mushroom Kingdom

Mushroom Kingdom for sure.

I thought about this already before botw. An open world game where you starts and see a castle in the background. Where you are thinking "how the *** get there". Defeating a bos in the castle to provide you a new powerup to move to your next area. Also be able to fly to some clouds (or climb) which gives you a magic view.

So yeah, it would include backtracking. But they could modify the world a bit after beating a castle. Not that i think this is needed.

I’m not opposed to a fully realized Mushroom Kingdom, as it’s generally been kinda vague and abstract in its representation. This provided it takes cues from the movie in terms of visual interest and detail to make it stand out from how it’s usually portrayed, especially when we inevitably hit those usual world tropes.

Otherwise, new area, or maybe something that warps/changes the Mushroom Kingdom into something unfamiliar or strange.

Last edited:
rewatching the Mario movie again got me wondering about the next 3D Mario and wanted to see what people think
a ambitous 3D Mario with 7/9 worlds, each world representing a major location of the franchise, like world 3(could be a water world themed after Delfino Plaza, world 1 is a world inspired by the Mushroom Kingdom of Paper Mario or Bowser Inside Story, mesh all this together and will have a definitive version of Mushroom Kingdom, kinda like the Mario movie did, the concil scene on the Mario movie,made me trough Nintendo could use Mushroom Kingdom kinda as a hub, with all major locations of the franchise, acting like the tradicional levels/world

Last edited:
I think it's very debatable if Mario 64's levels are slices of the Mushroom Kingdom or completely alternate worlds that only exist in paintings. Peach's Castle is the only portion of the game we can be sure is set in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Odyssey's paintings being portals to real locations suggests that so are 64's.

I think Odyssey to me solidified 3D Mario works best when you're exploring wholly new areas, and I think there's quite a lot of ideas they could still mine from that so I'd prefer somewhere new. Not like there aren't already a million Mario games that take place in the Mushroom Kingdom already, though I guess being 'open-world' would add back some novelty.

Not like there aren't already a million Mario games that take place in the Mushroom Kingdom already
There are less than you think. I think less than half of mainline Mario platformers are set entirely in the Mushroom Kingdom, with the NSMB games being the majority ones that take place there.

A fully 3D Mario game that actually defines a Mushroom Kingdom and takes place entirely there would be unique.

There are less than you think. I think less than half of mainline Mario platformers are set entirely in the Mushroom Kingdom, with the NSMB games being the majority ones that take place there.

A fully 3D Mario game that actually defines a Mushroom Kingdom and takes place entirely there would be unique.
That's fair, I guess just when I think 'Mario' the Mushroom Kingdom is so synonymous it feels a bit old hat to me. Like 3DWorld is technically a new setting but still looks more or less like what a 3D Mushroom Kingdom would, for as great as that game's aesthetics are.

Not like there aren't already a million Mario games that take place in the Mushroom Kingdom already
Just 9* times out the 21 mainline games, actually

Super Mario Bros.: Mushroom Kingdom
Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels: Mushroom Kingdom
Super Mario Bros. 2: Subcon
Super Mario Bros. 3: Across many different "lands" of the Mushroom World
Super Mario Land: Sarasaland
Super Mario World: Dinosaur Land
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins: Mario Land
Super Mario 64: Mushroom Kingdom
Super Mario Sunshine: Isle Delfino
New Super Mario Bros.: Mushroom Kingdom
Super Mario Galaxy: In space, across many different galaxies
New Super Mario Bros. Wii: Mushroom Kingdom
Super Mario Galaxy 2: In space, across many different galaxies
Super Mario 3D Land: Mushroom Kingdom
New Super Mario Bros. 2: Mushroom Kingdom
New Super Mario Bros. U: Mushroom Kingdom
Super Mario 3D World: Sprixie Kingdom
Super Mario Run: Mushroom Kingdom
Super Mario Odyssey: Across many different kingdoms
Bowser's Fury: Lake Lapcat
Super Mario Bros. Wonder: Flower Kingdom

Last edited:
Just 8 times out the 21 mainline games, actually

Yeah but my feelings matter more than the objective facts here!!

I want Nintendo to go all out on the next 3d Mario to create a multi-verse game in which Mario, Peach, Luigi and Toad are pulled into the many other Nintendo franchises. Talk about an interesting changing of scenery that could inject a bunch of creativity into the franchise,

Have the game start you on the moon, then you go through different planets until you reach the mushroom kingdom as the finale, where some aliens screwed everything up. Have the typical themes (ice, desert, grass land) but corrupted and twisted by the villians. I also think it would be cool to start the game where odyssey ended

I think Odyssey to me solidified 3D Mario works best when you're exploring wholly new areas, and I think there's quite a lot of ideas they could still mine from that so I'd prefer somewhere new. Not like there aren't already a million Mario games that take place in the Mushroom Kingdom already, though I guess being 'open-world' would add back some novelty.
This made me think, counting only mainline how many are in the mushroom kingdom

SMB: yes
SMB2: no
SML: no
SMB3: no
SML2TSGC: no
SMA: no
SM64: yes
NSMB: yes
SMG: no
NSMBW: yes
SMG2: No
SM3DL: yes
NSMB2: yes
NSMBU: yes
NSLU: yes
SM3DW: no
SMO: no
BF: no
SMW: no

8/20 take place in the mushroom kingdom
With half of those being back to back on early wii u and 3ds.

The wii u wasn’t the greatest time creatively for the Mario franchise.

I think people are mostly annoyed just because of the onslaught of nsmb, which imo really damaged Mario’s reputation amongst more hardcore gamers, which odyssey brought back.

Just 9* times out the 21 mainline games, actually

Ah. I should have read further ehe.

As an aside I love how they made making the Mario brand more cohesive with wonder.

It has its own purple coins, is a kingdom and has its own unique inhabitants, if this is how Mario is from now on I’m fine with that.

This made me think, counting only mainline how many are in the mushroom kingdom

SMB: yes
SMB2: no
SML: no
SMB3: no
SML2TSGC: no
SM64: yes
NSMB: yes
SMG: no
NSMBW: yes
SMG2: No
SM3DL: yes
NSMB2: yes
NSMBU: yes
NSLU: yes
SM3DW: no
SMO: no
BF: no
SMW: no

8/20 take place in the mushroom kingdom
With half of those being back to back on early wii u and 3ds.

The wii u wasn’t the greatest time creatively for the Mario franchise.

I think people are mostly annoyed just because of the onslaught of nsmb, which imo really damaged Mario’s reputation amongst more hardcore gamers, which odyssey brought back.
Although 3D world was IMO one of the best Mario games ever

For an open-world 3D Mario I think it could more something like 4-5 very large levels rather than a single open world.

Back
Top Bottom