• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club If Nintendo would make a live-service Zelda game…

Irene

Soar long!
Pronouns
She/Her
Blasphemy time!

There are some more obvious candidates for a Nintendo game that could potentially work as a GaaS-model. A F2P Splatoon spinoff with regular updates, something from Fire Emblem… But let’s go for something much less likely: EPD4 find themselves at the drawing board.

Try to stay positive - how could they knock this out of the park?

The idea of a BotW based battle royale game where everyone is shield surfing and gliding around shooting arrows at each other always sounded like a stupid fun concept to me. Could even throw in TotK elements now.

The idea of a BotW based battle royale game where everyone is shield surfing and gliding around shooting arrows at each other always sounded like a stupid fun concept to me. Could even throw in TotK elements now.

I had that same idea when there was a thread about fun ideas for spinoffs.

Like, imagine it being in the entire BotW overworld and there was a steadily shrinking Sheikah barrier or something.

Something more like a Roguelike, but a bit slower paced than Hades. All the Zelda items are stuff you can unlock, and the dungeon itself is like The Cube, ever shifting and changing. For the GAAS element, the developers introduce new bosses, dungeon elements, playable characters and items (and some set piece puzzles) on a regular basis. Shortcuts are available in some rooms based on the items you have, representing you bombing (or whatever) your way through walls, finding a new path for the run that reshuffles what’s ahead. Nintendo also run a centralised daily competition for the best time for a run (which should be doable in under 30 minutes) with a small daily prize for the winner (just some rupees, a trophy and bragging rights, or maybe an unlock of an item they don’t have yet). The framing of the game is a Hyrule magical tournament that’s become a sport for adventurers, but Link and Zelda take part to keep their skills up (and it also attracts crowds to watch when the nations heroes go in!). Maybe there’s a ‘Shadow Link’ run option where you are racing through against an NPC. I just like the idea of dungeoneering becoming Hyrule’s sports tournament following all the stories of Link and the other character’s adventures.

Last edited:

Bloodmoonnite

Nintendo already tries to do live service with several series but they are kind of bad at it so it doesn't seem like it

Like the delayed content thing they do with Splatoon, Mario Sports, Animal Crossing, etc

But I've been kicking around the idea of multiplayer Zelda on the BOTW engine being the next game in the series for a while and I really think it has a chance to happen

Triforce Heroes was 2015, we NEED this

I was gonna say that I can't see Zelda being a live service game, but then you guys mentioned battle royale, and that could certainly work! I think it'd be vast enough for a console generation, what with the amount of versions of Zelda, Link and other characters that are in the franchise.

Nintendo already tries to do live service with several series but they are kind of bad at it so it doesn't seem like it

Like the delayed content thing they do with Splatoon, Mario Sports, Animal Crossing, etc
Nintendo limit their 'live service' games because live service doesn't suit either Nintendo's development environment (where staff need to be available to move to other productions) or business model (they want people to keep buying games and not stay invested in one game with minimal spend). Even then, I don't think any of those games really qualify as games as a service, with maybe Splatoon being the closest to that model.
Something more like a Roguelike, but a bit slower paced than Hades. All the Zelda items are stuff you can unlock, and the dungeon itself is like The Cube, ever shifting and changing. For the GAAS element, the developers introduce new bosses, dungeon elements, playable characters and items (and some set piece puzzles) on a regular basis. Shortcuts are available in some rooms based on the items you have, representing you bombing (or whatever) your way through walls, finding a new path for the run that reshuffles what’s ahead. Nintendo also run a centralised daily competition for the best time for a run (which should be doable in under 30 minutes) with a small daily prize for the winner (just some rupees, a trophy and bragging rights, or maybe an unlock of an item they don’t have yet). The framing of the game is a Hyrule magical tournament that’s become a sport for adventurers, but Link and Zelda take part to keep their skills up (and it also attracts crowds to watch when the nations heroes go in!). Maybe there’s a ‘Shadow Link’ run option where you are racing through against an NPC. I just like the idea of dungeoneering becoming this games tournament following all the stories of Link and the other character’s adventures.
+1 for this idea.

Take Four Swords and turn it into a Fall Guys style dungeon pillager, with a race to the finish to see off the boss. Getting ahead brings many advantages, not only the ability to find and claim treasure first, but also set off traps that will either hinder your opponents...... Or see them into the next life.

Or something.

Last edited:
Honestly, a Mario version of Fall Guys could be fun as hell. In Fall Guys the little beans are so limited in what they can do, and that's kind of the point of that game. But imagine a version where everyone is a Mario character who can do do all the classic 3D maneuvers as you race through a silly ass course.

Blasphemy time!
Well since this is what you want...

Pokemon Go, but with Koroks. You tap a Korok in the real world, solve an inane puzzle and get rewarded with poop. You can use the poop in the gacha roll, for a whopping 0.3% chance to get a jpeg of Zelda with a sunhat on.

SMASH Moba. You can keep adding characters from all the Nintendo IPs bit by bit. Occasionally, throw in a third party character.
You can even build it off the base of Pokemon Unite.

I hate my idea already.

Well since this is what you want...

Pokemon Go, but with Koroks. You tap a Korok in the real world, solve an inane puzzle and get rewarded with poop. You can use the poop in the gacha roll, for a whopping 0.3% chance to get a jpeg of Zelda with a sunhat on.

Sounds like work.

You don't play as link, you play as your own character creation choosing between all the main races across hyrule. In this scenario Link's soul gets trapped in the master sword (he's not exactly dead but he's ethereal and shit), you pick it up and inherit his spirit, he kinda acts like a stand from jojo's.

Ok so it's a dungeon racer game where you try and beat shrine like rooms as fast as possible against a bunch of people in a kind of time trials format.

Some puzzles require you to switch between you and spirit link. Most stages are a remixed version of challenges from past zelda titles.

There are challenges set for levels like clearing within a certain time, killing an amount of enemies, finding secret items etc that allow you to get rupees, these rupees will let you unlock specific items in the BATTLE PASS yeah there's a fucking battle pass. You purchase the pass every season for a solid 15 bones because you're a greedy fomo monster and level it up with XP from clearing challenges and dungeons then there are special items in the pass you can only unlock from grinding rupees.

You can also invite a group of 4 people to clear super challenging levels with.

Other thoughts:
Animal Crossing could end up being an MMO lite, Smash Bros could have purchasable skins and a ranked mode, Mario Kart could have purchasable skins and a track pool that rotates throughout the year as well as a battle pass lmao.

No.

Done.

Honestly: just not a fan.

I do think instantiated modern Zelda could work. Having a bunch of friends (12? 20?) explore a smaller bite style map could be fun.

There was an memo that reused lttp assets in the early 2000s.

But I don't want SaaS in Nintendo games, at least not in a "live service game" wense.

Edit: graal online it seems (the asset ripoff)

One of the first things I thought playing Botw back then was "they should do a Minecraft Hunger Games-like multiplayer mode in this" lol

People mentioned battle royal/Minecraft multiplayer mode in regards to both, or even rough like: all 100% great questions...but none of them need to be a service game with seasons and stuff.

And that's where my gripe is.
Essentially the trial of the sword, if you would have added randomisation would have been the basis for the rough like.

Battle royal? People spawn at different places in the map, but what spawns where needs to be at least fake randomised (if it spawns or not) to not have "ideal routes".

To me, switch 2 could support such an experience, and if it's bundled with the game people would be less pissed for a rerelease. Have it be: physically full rerelease with battle royal 4k for 70€, or Patch with 4k and BR for 30-40 and people would be fine I guess...

F*, im thinking similar to naughty dog.

Yeah, no, I'm not sure how to stay positive here. FOMO stuff is awful, the crunch that the devs of such things usually go through is even more miserable than usual amount in the gamedev, and the prospect of a neverending games never appealed to me.

The closest thing to often-updated Zelda game that I can picture is far from actual live service and would be something like Binding of Isaac that's been Zeldafied back.

Zeldanite

Battlebus over Hyrule (where we droppin'? Eldin Canyon? Mount Lanayru? Why is our squadmate jumping off at Rabella Wetlands?!?!)

Build monstrous mecha contraptions for offense, rather than defensive bases

Most popular character skin is Groose

Rip off Donald Faison's dance taunt after downing an opponent

KRV37k.gif

Please, I already have one of my favourite series being stuck as a live service. I would prefer not to have more.

Back
Top Bottom