• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion I got a 2DS finally after not having one in ages

Rika

Bob-omb
Banned
Pronouns
she/her, they/them
I had a launch edition 3DS at one point, but then I stupidly sold it. I have noticed 2DS/3DS stuff like games are really still stupid expensive, and wish I had kept my 3DS and bought games for it as they launched.

I honestly cannot find a decent price on SMT IV, or SMT Devil Survivor Overclocked physically. I thankfully found that Overclocked and SMT IV does go for $20 a piece on the eShop, so may go that route. I am mostly looking to just play games I may have missed, or just passed over. I plan to finally play Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon as I never played it.

This time I plan to keep my 2DS/3DS/whatever without selling it as even finding one refurbed or pre-owned was kinda pricey. I don't mind that it is a OG 2DS honestly, and think it'll be awesome to have a 2DS/3DS family system again. I bought mine via GameStop, by the way. They were almost sold out of all their 3DSes/2Des.

Edit: I am gonna just buy a 32GB microSD card and do digitally as much as possible. Games are just a bit pricey physically nowadays for 3DS.

Last edited:
The market for 3DS currently is out of control. I don't know really why, because I didn't keep up.
But I can sell my new 3DS XL Majora's Mask version with packaging and everything in super condition for 500€
which is just bananas

Wow, I had no idea that the market for these devices went off the rails recently (although I can't say I'm surprised, now that I give it some thought). Feel fortunate that I picked up a 3DS XL and a couple 2DS's for the kids in 2019!

Yeah, it's kind of wild, I hadn't even realised the 3ds/2ds market had become so expensive until just this past week talking about it with some friends. Kind of sad people will struggle to get a hold of proper hardware to play all these great games.

Anyway, woohoo Rika, enjoy! If you haven't played it before you should totally play Fantasy Life 👀 this is a great time to play SMTIV too, ultimate hype build

Last edited:
Yeah, it's kind of wild, I hadn't realised the 3ds/2ds market had become so expensive just this past week. Kind of sad people will struggle to get a hold of proper hardware to play all these great games.

Anyway, woohoo Rika, enjoy! If you haven't played it before you should totally play Fantasy Life 👀 this is a great time to play SMTIV too, ultimate hype build
Just this past week it got crazy? It’s been crazy, for going on two years at this point.

With Atlus stuff you’re best off going digital, yeah. Last I checked, their games are still heavily discounted whereas physical often means paying akin to launch/new prices. Eesh.

My kid got frustrated smashed the touchscreen on my 2DS. I bought a replacement digitizer, but there’s a stripped screw that prevents me from necessary disassembly. Not sure if I should keep going and try supergluing the driver to the screw or try to sell the device as-is (along with the replacement digitizer) and let someone else fix it. We don’t really need the 2DS as our Switch library keeps growing.

I made the same mistake too with selling off a lot of my 3DS JRPGS for other games when I wasn’t playing them much, and now they’re like $100+ or something crazy.

Thankfully, if you go onto the 3DS eShop, these games tend to be about $20 a pop to download them.

Seconding that you should totally try Fantasy Life if you can find it! And doubly so if you can find someone (I'm sure there's plenty on this board) in the same region to do some multiplayer with, it's probably my favorite game on the platform and one of my favorite games ever full-stop.

I hope you have fun with the console again! And that you can get a better deal on some of the other games you're looking for.

It's a rough market out there at the moment - beyond DQ VII (which I would like to own), I've been content just purchasing games digitally on 3DS for now.

SMT IV and SMT IV: Apocalypse are the two I traded in at various points and wish I hadn't. Here's hoping the market naturally course-corrects soon.

rika which path you going chaos or law in Shin Megami tensei 4?

Congrats on the 2DS! Honestly it's a lovely device, quite sturdy despite its toy form and the best way to play Etrian Odyssey games. I sold very cheap my New 3DS XL to a friend and got a 2DS just because I love it that much.

My 3ds completely broke awhile back. I held on to that sucker since 2011 so it had a good run and everything. The 3ds market being so pricey is really unfortunate for me because of this. I've had quite a few urges to replay some of my favorite 3ds games, but I don't wanna spend a million dollars on a used replacement lol. This is why Nintendo and 3rd parties need to remaster more 3ds games for Switch smh.

Yea srsly, what is going on w/ these market prices on used 3ds hardware?

Install base of over 70 million and hasnt been off retail shelves for that long.

I really wanted a solid "New-series" unit to replace my Mario and Luigi XL plat edition (poor battery life), checked ebay and noped outta what I was seeing.

Keep hoping i can catch an official Nintendo store refurb unit 🤞

After I beat Metroid Dread, I think I owe it to myself to play Metroid Samus Returns, which means I need to find a 2DS (or preferably a New! Nintendo 3DS).

Like you, I sold my original 3DS and all my games. I really regret it! I had so many great games that are now harder to find or really expensive. Congrats on finding one and stick to holding onto it.

Yeah, go digital for RPGs really. Atlus game prices are especially wild. Luckily they run sales frequently, but it can be a pain if you really want physical copies.

If you are looking for game recommendations, don't sleep on Soul Hackers. It's honestly such a miracle we got it lol. I love that game. Dragon Quest VII and VIII too!

I did buy that game before physically, and I didn't really give it a proper playthrough before.
Seconding that you should totally try Fantasy Life if you can find it!
I think I found a copy of it, but think even pre-owned goes for like launch price or close to it.
rika which path you going chaos or law in Shin Megami tensei 4?
Not sure. I played SMT IV (think a demo) and didn't really know if I'd like it or not back then. I wanna get it again, tho.
If you are looking for game recommendations, don't sleep on Soul Hackers. It's honestly such a miracle we got it lol. I love that game. Dragon Quest VII and VIII too!
Oh, neat! I shall add em to the list.

Wow, I had no idea that the market for these devices went off the rails recently (although I can't say I'm surprised, now that I give it some thought). Feel fortunate that I picked up a 3DS XL and a couple 2DS's for the kids in 2019!
Yeah I picked up a Nintendo Refurb New Nintendo 2DS XL right as they announced they were going to stop manufacturing last year. Figured it would get pretty crazy.

Did you have to call Nintendo to restore your account?

My 2DS has not shipped yet, but unsure. It has maybe been a few years or longer since I sold my 3DS.
Yeah, prepare for a quick customer service call to essentially migrate your information onto the 2DS you’re getting. I did this not terribly long ago, and they told me it would take like up to five days before I saw my account and purchase history on the unit, but I think it was on there within like two days. (Stinks it has to be this way but obviously this was before Nintendo went down the modern path of a unified account system)

Yeah, prepare for a quick customer service call to essentially migrate your information onto the 2DS you’re getting. I did this not terribly long ago, and they told me it would take like up to five days before I saw my account and purchase history on the unit, but I think it was on there within like two days. (Stinks it has to be this way but obviously this was before Nintendo went down the modern path of a unified account system)
I'll probably just make a new account. if possible. I do not recall really buying much on the eShop back then really worth needing.

Get the Zelda's and Ace Attorney games!
Thankfully Link Between Worlds is reasonable and think I have a very second hand copy of OOT 3DS I bought at a local thing. Not sure on MM 3DS price wise.

I wish I had a New 3DS XL because I have the smaller model and it seems like replacement batteries for it are nonexistent. I was meaning to buy a refurb prepandemic, but now it’s just too crazy.

I have a 2DS lying around somewhere. We just bought it so my other half could play two Pokemon games simultaneously and trade with himself (seriously). I have to commend how durable it is. Like it's been thrown around to heck and it's perfectly fine. I bet you could drive a truck over the thing without breaking it.

I wish I had a New 3DS XL because I have the smaller model and it seems like replacement batteries for it are nonexistent. I was meaning to buy a refurb prepandemic, but now it’s just too crazy.
Yes, I wanted a new 3DS XL but they were all sold out via GameStop as eBay and such places are hella expensive..

I have a 2DS lying around somewhere. We just bought it so my other half could play two Pokemon games simultaneously and trade with himself (seriously). I have to commend how durable it is. Like it's been thrown around to heck and it's perfectly fine. I bet you could drive a truck over the thing without breaking it.
I plan to get Pokemon Sun and Ultra Sun for sure just to have them again. I had Moon originally and never played any of the Ultra games.

Yea srsly, what is going on w/ these market prices on used 3ds hardware?

Install base of over 70 million and hasnt been off retail shelves for that long.

I really wanted a solid "New-series" unit to replace my Mario and Luigi XL plat edition (poor battery life), checked ebay and noped outta what I was seeing.

Keep hoping i can catch an official Nintendo store refurb unit 🤞
Might just replacing the battery be an option?

I need to get back into DS/3DS (as well as 6th gen and Wii) games. Unfortunately, some are just way too expensive and BS like grading has only caused prices to generally skyrocket.

The "big one" for me is still Dragon Quest V for DS - it only got a limited run in Europe and I want to play these games in German, if possible. Though other DS and 3DS games are slowly creeping up - Monster Hunter Stories has risen in price as well, as did Pokémon Conquest and Dragon Quest VIII.

Nice. I'm happy for you OP.

I probably should have got like a New 2DS XL before they became all sold out, just in case my New 3DS XL breaks (not the most used console, but still it's from 2015 when they launched the new variation).

I've always wanted to get certain 3DS games physical, but they never went on sale, or at least on deep sales. Some of them did get cut to around $20, but I never pulled the trigger. Now, imagine my sadness when I realized just how quickly 3DS games would become inflated in prices.

Like seriously, it happened like that!

I don't play the system much anymore, so it's a real debate if buying more cool games for it would result in me actually playing them, or just be a waste of money, and because of that I haven't bought anything in a while. I really should buy the games I want digitally at least, since it's cheaper, but I'm not sure and if the 3DS breaks it won't be as convenient as owning them physically. Donkey Kong Country Returns, Star Fox 64 3D, either Kirby's Epic Yarn or Robobot (probably Robobot?), and Yoshi's Wooly World are the last games I wanted to pick up. Also wanted to try my hand at Ever Oasis, Strange Journey Redux, and especially Kid Icarus: Uprising, but those games physical copies never went on sale, and I don't think their digital versions really do either, and for Kid Icarus I've heard the controls are quite painful on 3DS if you don't get the attachment that comes with the physical edition :/ But with how old the system is, it is a real "now or never" situation on these games ...

Absolutely 👉
I probably will just hit up ifixit or something to order one.

Id be psyched to get a New 3DS or 2DS for the better overall experience tho 😆
You can still buy them directly from Nintendo

This thread is inspiring me to buy my first ever 2DS/3DS. Does Nintendo even run eShop sales for DS games anymore?
Not games they published. Luckily most of the games besides Pokémon and the post-switch releases are $20. You do get Atlus sales every few months that drop lost of their games to half off (which makes a lot $10) and Capcom/Square usually out their limited offering on sale when they do a big switch sale.

I have 3 2DS's, 2 New 3DS XL's (one of which is the SNES themed one), and 3 New 3DS's (all of which are the super rare Mario editions that were one of the only models of the New 3DS ever released in NA).

Why do I have all of this? Well, I don't exactly know, I ask myself that often. I like collecting handhelds I guess lol.

I would totally get one if I had time to play. Always loved their design for some reason.

Oh man I could sell my Majora's Mask themed N3DSXL for a pretty penny right now, but I love it too much.

Update: I got the 2DS Blue! It came with no SD Card, but found my OG SD Card from my old 3DS in a Nintendo 3DS/DS cart holder. It's only 2GB...but will work till I can get a 32GB SD Card. I got Sun so far, and plan to look into other games ASAP.

Regular sized New 3DS as well?
It doesn’t seem clear from the listing so maybe not. I’m not sure I ever saw more than two battery SKUs listed. I check the site more regularly than I should mainly cause I’m just curious watching whole pages disappear as they stop supporting things.

My SD Card is coming this Tuesday, and some even told me to stick to digital what is pricey physically. I have found games like OOT 3DS, MM 3DS, and other Nintendo Selects on the eShop for 20 bucks.

Back
Top Bottom