• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Retro I’ve never played Ocarina Of Time. I only have access to the Switch online version. Am I gonna have a bad time?

No, it'll be fine. Very few people are actually bothered by the Switch emulation, if you have no basis for comparison then you'll have absolutely no issues.

No. The game is still amazing, and most of the emulation issues will only be noticeable to those already very familiar with the game.

Absolutely not. The issues are overblown. OoT is one of the greatest games of all time and it does not matter whether you’re playing it on N64, GCN, 3DS, Wii, Wii U, or Switch. You’re gonna have a blast.

Have you played any 3D Zeldas before?

Absolutely not. The issues are overblown. OoT is one of the greatest games of all time and it does not matter whether you’re playing it on N64, GCN, 3DS, Wii, Wii U, or Switch. You’re gonna have a blast.

Have you played any 3D Zeldas before?

I’ve played them all bar the 64 ones and Skyward Sword. I also have a 3DS but don’t own OoT3D or MM3D. Are they the best of the lot?

OoT3D is the definitive version of the game, but that doesn’t make the original version obsolete. I understand that MM3D isn’t looked at as fondly, but I haven’t played any version of Majora’s Mask so I couldn’t comment on that.

If you’ve never played it then it’s definitely worth it regardless of some issues. It’s an incredibly solid game not even considering it’s legacy.

You won’t even notice to be honest. For gameplay the emulation is mostly fine. It’s just the overall emulation quality that is irritating (by this I mean as close to exact recreation as possible).

I’ve played them all bar the 64 ones and Skyward Sword. I also have a 3DS but don’t own OoT3D or MM3D. Are they the best of the lot?
Get the 3DS of ocarina if possible. The quick switch iron boots is worth it. Majorca’s mask is better on 3DS from QOL point of view but some people don’t like the changes

If you can play it on Switch, play it on Switch. Some things will feel more outdated to you than they really were because of innacurate emulation. But all in all, you'll still have a great game in your hands.

The only thing you'll be truly missing is, in all honesty, one of the coolest moments of the game, which happens in this room. I don't think it's a spoiler in all, just the image, but I'll tag it on spoiler nonetheless.
Ocarina-of-Time-N64-Switch-Water-Screenshots.jpg

This is by far the most egregious example and I do believe no other room will look as bad as this one. It's not representative of what will probably be your experience with the game - but it's a good example on how you may see and think "oh man, this game is ugly nowadays". MVG made a great explanation video about what's happening there - it's missing some effect which I don't know the name and don't understand.

But other than that, it's still the same game. I say go for it - you have it available already. Worst thing that can happen is you change your mind.

Since you own a 3DS, my recommendation is to get OoT3D digital if physical is too expensive and play that. It looks gorgeous and barely feels like a retro game at all, it's actually amazing how modern the game feels with just a graphical touch up.

If you don't want to spend though, the NSO version should be fine. It's an amazing game either way, it's not some wonky fog effect that's gonna ruin it.

OOT 3DS is the definitive version but the QOL changes aren't so drastic that OOT64 is particularly inferior. Both are fine, even on NSO.

I played both OoT on the GameCube collection and on 3DS and they are both good games. You won't go wrong playing the emulated version on Switch. The big downside is the button placement.

From what I've heard, you'll be fine, in for a grand time even; also from what I've heard, you'll be experiencing abject torment.
Really, given no prior frame of reference, you should be fine. Some things, it sounds like, are just ... off. But none of that will likely hamper your enjoyment too much and probably won't be noticeable, this being your first exposure to the game and all.
Majora's Mask was always my favorite of the 3D Zelda games (Yes, I'm one of those people) and thus I would be compelled to suggest that, yes, it might even be the best of the lot -- especially when paired with its predecessor, for the full experience --, but I never had a 3DS with which to try the MM3D version; however, while it has been touted as being improved as far as QOL features go, I seem to recall hearing of some changes that I'd definitely find irksome.

If you can play it on Switch, play it on Switch. Some things will feel more outdated to you than they really were because of innacurate emulation. But all in all, you'll still have a great game in your hands.

The only thing you'll be truly missing is, in all honesty, one of the coolest moments of the game, which happens in this room. I don't think it's a spoiler in all, just the image, but I'll tag it on spoiler nonetheless.

This is by far the most egregious example and I do believe no other room will look as bad as this one. It's not representative of what will probably be your experience with the game - but it's a good example on how you may see and think "oh man, this game is ugly nowadays". MVG made a great explanation video about what's happening there - it's missing some effect which I don't know the name and don't understand.
Oh my, that is unfortunate. I'd heard about this happening, but I didn't expect it was that egregious. That looks like a bizzaro swap of the room that might be added to a version most accursed so as to indicate that something has gone terribly, irrevocably wrong.

I'd heard the controls / button mappings were 'bad' by one of my workmates - is that just him not being willing to play it on a non-N64 controller, or is it actually a pain?

OoT has to this day just some amazing dungeon design. You will enjoy it if you love a well crafted dungeon.

I'd heard the controls / button mappings were 'bad' by one of my workmates - is that just him not being willing to play it on a non-N64 controller, or is it actually a pain?
It's a little jarring but not terrible. I basically got used to it. If you had to use all 3 c-button items all the time I think it's be worse, but as it is it's not bad.

I'd say the 3DS remake is the definitive way to play it but the NSO version is fine for most folk. Mainly the more hardcore fans will care about the emulation differences than anything else

the input lag will drive you insane, but if it doesn't then the core game itself is all good: play with a N64 pad, and it's excellent! OOT3D is amazing as well.

It'll probably be fine unless you're sensitive to input lag, in which case I'd advise to seek out one of the other versions. If you do that I'd advise against the Wii U VC one but the others are all probably fine unless you're playing on an HDTV without an upscaler.

OoT on 3DS is amazing same with Majoras Mask. But even with some of the bugs in the NSO edition, it is still amazing.

So if you already have access to the Switch NSO version, just play it!

Avoid the Switch re-release until they fix it; the emulation quality is very poor right now.

Play literally any other version instead.

I’ve been chipping away at it on NSO and I feel like it’s fine? I’m maybe 3-4 hours in and I haven’t felt hamstrung by any input lag or anything. I say go for it

I 100%ed it on NSO, without any prior frame of reference the visual bugs (fog distance, some textures/reflections) won't bother you at all and I adjusted to the input lag within a couple minutes.

The only section I found at all tough due to lag was the frog song minigame, basically I just memorized the notes and abused save states to do it.

the first time I tried OoT was on gamecube. I got it with Wind Waker. That version wasn’t too good, as far as I remember. My girlfriend at the time loved Zelda, but we both skipped it and had much more fun with wind waker. She had beaten OoT on n64 several times already, but I have never beaten it. Not that gamecube port, not on 3ds and I do not plan to get NSO.

Some day I will play it though, as I’ve actually bought many Zelda games, and finished two of them. I’m hoping for a remaster one day.

I 100%ed it on NSO, without any prior frame of reference the visual bugs (fog distance, some textures/reflections) won't bother you at all and I adjusted to the input lag within a couple minutes.

The only section I found at all tough due to lag was the frog song minigame, basically I just memorized the notes and abused save states to do it.
I remember those frogs being wonky originally.

I want to tell the op about the little things squirrelled throughout it but I also want them to stumble across things new like I did.

But other than that, it's still the same game. I say go for it - you have it available already. Worst thing that can happen is you change your mind.
What happened here?

What happened here?
I don't know the ins and out but I do think it's missing an effect called alpha blending, and also the implementation of fog is incorrect. Modern Vintage Gamer has a hands-down excellent video where he explains this, and also shows how official N64 emulation by Nintendo unfortunately has only gotten progressive worse ever since the Wii days:

get oot 3ds since you already have a 3ds. Definitely the best way to play oot at the moment, until we get an inevitible remake of it on a future console.

Play the Switch online version, and enjoy it. The emulation errors don't actually hamper the actual experience of playing it that much.

If the 3DS version is available, that's excellent. But don't feel pressured to buy it; Switch Online is more than fine.

oot3ds is a much nicer experience, but not really because of the switchs emulation issues. for a first timer especially youll likely not even notice those.

the 3ds game just makes item use a lot easier and makes the shadow and, especially, the water temple less tedious experiences.

Last edited:
No, it's fine. Just one chamber is "broken", and the fog is less dense. Play it without fear, just make a separate savegame before Temple of water.

I think if you have access to a 3ds, that i prefer that version (if not just for gyro aiming and item management). But the switch version largely seems fine if thats all you have access to

Absolutely no. It plays fine and personally I appreciate the jump to 720p.

Enjoy it, you are in for a wonderful experience.

Back
Top Bottom