• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity passes 4 Million Shipped

I'm actually replaying it now after 100% it on launch! Curious to see DLC numbers... but wow, I think this has exceeded every single possible expectation.

Absolutely hated what they did with the story. But then again, expecting a good story from a Musou Game was just silly of me to begin with.

Still not going to begrudge them the success.

Good stuff! Really enjoyed this one. Out of the Musous I played it is easily the most entertaining. If only there was a bit more to the DLC, I still have not bought it. Curious to see what's next for the KT/Nintendo partnership.

Those are some great figures and the Koei-Tecmo relationship with Nintendo continuing to bear fruit.

Would like to see them have another stab at Fire Emblem Warriors. I really enjoyed it, but there was clearly room to expand the game's reach beyond the 'popular' Fire Emblem's and really go to town on the fanservice

I honestly really enjoyed it and it came out in a perfect time period during lockdown. Wasn't a pain to 100% at all, took me 55 hours in total. Soundtrack was great and the characters all felt so fresh, good and unique in terms of gameplay unlike Fire Emblem Warriors which burnt me out badly.

I'll probably get DLC but much later as I probably want to play it on the next Switch revision/succ for better performance.

This also makes it the best selling KT game of all time. I bet they're really happy working with Nintendo and immediately supporting the Switch from day 1 and now they're reaping the rewards.

Even though I was disappointed by what it was as both a prequel to BotW and a successor to HW, I'm glad to see it's still selling. Hopefully we'll see more collaborations between both companies soon, but I also hope Nintendo lets KT go more wild with whatever they tackle next.

With Age of Calamity, I probably enjoyed the campaign and moment to moment gameplay more than the original, but like others, I think it fell short it some ways. I'd definitely be interested to see what else could be done with the BotW world and characters. Be good if Nintendo were brave and went with another new spin off rather than more Zelda musou.
FE Three Houses musou when, tho? ;-(
I'm sort of expecting this to happen, give KT's role in the original game, and given how ripe that one is for musou type stuff. It could either be a prequel set in the ancient past that Three Houses refers to (the war with Nemesis), or even a typical wild musou story of "How everybody got along and worked together" type thing (as in, Edelgard, Claude, and Dimitri team up to uncover the truth together).

What we actually need is Impa Gaiden with lots of Frog jutsu.

8lk1f35pi4661.jpg

Age of Calamity halfway up the Zelda sales rankings. Expect Skyward Sword HD to overhaul it next month when the latest earnings release comes along.
  1. Breath of the Wild – 25.82 million (2017)
  2. Twilight Princess – 8.69 million (2006)
  3. Ocarina of Time – 7.6 million (1998)
  4. The Legend of Zelda – 6.51 million (1986)
  5. Ocarina of Time 3D – 6.22 million (2011)
  6. Link’s Awakening – 5.49 million (2019)
  7. Phantom Hourglass – 4.76 million (2007)
  8. A Link to the Past – 4.61 million (1991)
  9. Wind Waker – 4.43 million (2002)
  10. Adventure of Link – 4.38 million (1987)
  11. A Link Between Worlds – 4.16 million (2013)
    [Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity – 4 million (2020)]
  12. Oracle of Ages/Seasons – 3.99 million (2001)
  13. Link’s Awakening – 3.83 million (1993)
  14. Skyward Sword – 3.67 million (2011)
  15. Skyward Sword HD – 3.60 million (2021)
  16. Majora’s Mask – 3.36 million (2000)
  17. Majora’s Mask 3D – 3.28 million (2015)
  18. Spirit Tracks – 2.96 million (2009)
  19. A Link to the Past + Four Swords – 2.82 million (2002)
  20. Wind Waker HD – 2.34 million (2013)
  21. Link’s Awakening DX – 2.22 million (1999)
  22. The Minish Cap – 1.76 million (2004)
  23. Triforce Heroes – 1.34 million (2015)
  24. Twilight Princess HD – 1.13 million (2016)
  25. Four Swords Adventures - < 1 million (2005)

With the impact BOTW 2 will have, it may have a decent shot to reach 5 mill, right?
Honestly, I'm not sure - AoC has definitely slowed. It shipped 3 million at launch in November 2020, another 700k by April 2021, and another 300k from April 2021 to the end of 2021. I wouldn't bet on it getting there, but it's conceivable it could sell enough to outsell yet more mainline entries - certainly A Link Between Worlds (+160k), potentially Adventure of Link (+380k), Wind Waker (+430k), and perhaps even Link to the Past (610k).

I couldn't get past the framerate but I hope a hypothetical Switch 2 with BC will help solve that so I can give this a chance.

They should have done more with the Marvel license opportunity. If they get another chance I hope they do better, especially now with a foundation.

They should have done more with the Marvel license opportunity. If they get another chance I hope they do better, especially now with a foundation.
MUA3 was still the best selling game in the series. Tacking a marvel license on garuntees nothing and the originals were huge sellers despite being multiplat.

Tbh I'm expecting a "HW3" to take a Persona Strikers approach. TK has proven themselves with playing a big role in FE:TH, plus nailing the feel of AOC (even though the story held it back). I dream of finally getting a Sheik action game, but who knows.

Groose Action Game

MUA3 was still the best selling game in the series. Tacking a marvel license on garuntees nothing and the originals were huge sellers despite being multiplat.
how much did mua3 do. it is the best marvel game this gen aside spiderman i think. guardians may come close to it.

Tbh I'm expecting a "HW3" to take a Persona Strikers approach. TK has proven themselves with playing a big role in FE:TH, plus nailing the feel of AOC (even though the story held it back). I dream of finally getting a Sheik action game, but who knows.

Groose Action Game

What do you mean by a Persona strikers approach? Adapting more gameplay elements from the source game to work in a musou style? Because I'd argue they already did that by how they went about implementing the Shiekah slate in Age of Calamity. And it's already a full story addition to the base game, though it's a prequel here, rather than a sequel like Strikers was.

What do you mean by a Persona strikers approach? Adapting more gameplay elements from the source game to work in a musou style? Because I'd argue they already did that by how they went about implementing the Shiekah slate in Age of Calamity. And it's already a full story addition to the base game, though it's a prequel here, rather than a sequel like Strikers was.
AoC was sort of a halfstep between Musou and a more linear adventure style, and kind of became the worse of two worlds for it imo. I adored the game still, but it lost the battlefield/strategy focus of regular DW in favor of a bigger focus on the action.

From what I understand having not played it, Strikers leans even further into that and is super linear in nature and lifts the structure more directly from the source material? So, if we have the following spectrum:

• HW: Musou Game with Zelda Inspired Mechanics
  • AoC: Musou Game with Battlefield mechanics mostly stripped out
  • Persona 5 Strikers: Action RPG with DW combat, zero Battlefield mechanics

I'd be interested in a new Zelda KT game that is on the latter end.

That’s quite a bit more than I expected to be honest, good for them!

I still haven’t finished the game - is it worth going back too? I got to a stage where I think I’m maybe just over halfway through the game and kinda got burnt out. I found that a lot of the levels were just very similar and got a bit bored.

Damn, it's impressive just how much of a boost the brand has gotten since BotW. Hoping that means we get more old Zelda games brought over to the Switch, like even the handheld ones

Frankly, I either see a sequel to Age of Calamity (Not a story sequel, just a sequel in general) or a Xenoblade warriors.
If they keep working on Zelda I hope they can move away from the "Warriors" formula more. Like how DQ and Persona tried to. Having a connected world like DQH2 would be great. And maybe doing so can also make the games less of a grind.

If they keep working on Zelda I hope they can move away from the "Warriors" formula more. Like how DQ and Persona tried to. Having a connected world like DQH2 would be great. And maybe doing so can also make the games less of a grind.

AoC already is such a stark contrast to its predecessor, as it is (for both good and ill), that I honestly see it differently. You don't need to "move away" from the Musou formula, you should be embracing the better/best aspects of it further.

For example, I don't ever see this happening, but I was always hoping that a Nintendo-collab Musou game would fully indulge in something like the Empires/Chronicles games, with a create-a-char feature that you can take through a "career", bond with (...even marry?) canon chars, and actually (GASP!) apply more strategic value to how you and your units perform in battles, thanks to a variety of stratagem you can apply.

Age of Calamity halfway up the Zelda sales rankings. Expect Skyward Sword HD to overhaul it next month when the latest earnings release comes along.
  1. Breath of the Wild – 25.82 million (2017)
  2. Twilight Princess – 8.69 million (2006)
  3. Ocarina of Time – 7.6 million (1998)
  4. The Legend of Zelda – 6.51 million (1986)
  5. Ocarina of Time 3D – 6.22 million (2011)
  6. Link’s Awakening – 5.49 million (2019)
  7. Phantom Hourglass – 4.76 million (2007)
  8. A Link to the Past – 4.61 million (1991)
  9. Wind Waker – 4.43 million (2002)
  10. Adventure of Link – 4.38 million (1987)
  11. A Link Between Worlds – 4.16 million (2013)
    [Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity – 4 million (2020)]
  12. Oracle of Ages/Seasons – 3.99 million (2001)
  13. Link’s Awakening – 3.83 million (1993)
  14. Skyward Sword – 3.67 million (2011)
  15. Skyward Sword HD – 3.60 million (2021)
  16. Majora’s Mask – 3.36 million (2000)
  17. Majora’s Mask 3D – 3.28 million (2015)
  18. Spirit Tracks – 2.96 million (2009)
  19. A Link to the Past + Four Swords – 2.82 million (2002)
  20. Wind Waker HD – 2.34 million (2013)
  21. Link’s Awakening DX – 2.22 million (1999)
  22. The Minish Cap – 1.76 million (2004)
  23. Triforce Heroes – 1.34 million (2015)
  24. Twilight Princess HD – 1.13 million (2016)
  25. Four Swords Adventures - < 1 million (2005)
It's interesting how much of a bigger boost Breath of the Wild has had on Age of Calamity than the Switch has had in general with classic linear Zelda.

Link's Awakening isn't really getting much of a boost from where the original + DX were at, I know it's debatable if its the same game or not but putting that aside for a minute. Skyward Sword HD will probably reach the 5-6 million range (wondering if 7 mil is possible?), but even then it's kind of just putting the game at where the highest selling classic Zelda games were already at, arguably getting the type of attention it would have gotten (5 mil at least) had the Wii not been dead in the water by late 2011. It's more or less just filling a niche that was already there, rather than increasing it.

The clearest boost we've seen with Zelda entries on Switch is really just stuff branded as part of the Breath of the Wild saga. It's crazy how big of a reputation that game carries!

It's interesting how much of a bigger boost Breath of the Wild has had on Age of Calamity than the Switch has had in general with classic linear Zelda.

Link's Awakening isn't really getting much of a boost from where the original + DX were at, I know it's debatable if its the same game or not but putting that aside for a minute. Skyward Sword HD will probably reach the 5-6 million range (wondering if 7 mil is possible?), but even then it's kind of just putting the game at where the highest selling classic Zelda games were already at, arguably getting the type of attention it would have gotten (5 mil at least) had the Wii not been dead in the water by late 2011. It's more or less just filling a niche that was already there, rather than increasing it.

The clearest boost we've seen with Zelda entries on Switch is really just stuff branded as part of the Breath of the Wild saga. It's crazy how big of a reputation that game carries!
Even if you combined the two Link's Awakening releases from the 90s (which, to be blunt, I think would be daft given they are clearly two different releases of the game), you're looking at 6 million sales achieved over a period of what, 6 or 7 years? Whereas the Switch release will manage that in half the time at most.
It's true, I think, that Breath of the Wild proves there's a market for open-world Zelda more than massively growing the market for Zelda, but the important point there is that by hitting 5 million plus, the other two Switch Zelda titles are hitting territory the franchise rarely ventured into before Switch. It's practically guaranteed that both Link's Awakening and Skyward Sword will shift over 6 million - LA's 5.49 million figure is now 10 months out of date. For Skyward Sword HD, we only have 2 months of sales. But when you look at the overall context for Zelda on Switch, then yes, I think Breath of the Wild has absolutely boosted the series' popularity generally; it's just that Breath of the Wild itself is still massively more popular than classic Zelda.

Look at it this way - before Switch launched, only 4 Zelda titles in 3 decades had crossed the 6 million mark (the original in 1986, Ocarina of Time in 1998, Twilight Princess in 2006, Ocarina of Time 3D in 2011). Those milestones were few and far apart. On the other hand, the odds are extremely high that, by March 2023, we'll have had four Zelda titles sell more than 6 million units each in a six year period - Breath of the Wild (2017), Link's Awakening (2019), Skyward Sword HD (2021), Breath of the Wild 2 (2022). It will also remain true that, while Link's Awakening and Skyward Sword each sell somewhere around 6 million or so, the two Breath of the Wild titles will sell far better than other Zelda games.

Ultimately though the series is more popular now than it ever has been, though Breath of the Wild, and the particular style and world of Zelda that represents, is much more popular than the classic style. But the classic series is selling more copies than before and it's doing so in a short period of time. The two classic Zeldas on Switch (so far) will outsell all but 4 or 5 of the 20 odd other Zelda titles, and 2 of the games they don't outsell will be open-world Zelda games.

Even if you combined the two Link's Awakening releases from the 90s (which, to be blunt, I think would be daft given they are clearly two different releases of the game), you're looking at 6 million sales achieved over a period of what, 6 or 7 years? Whereas the Switch release will manage that in half the time at most.
It's true, I think, that Breath of the Wild proves there's a market for open-world Zelda more than massively growing the market for Zelda, but the important point there is that by hitting 5 million plus, the other two Switch Zelda titles are hitting territory the franchise rarely ventured into before Switch. It's practically guaranteed that both Link's Awakening and Skyward Sword will shift over 6 million - LA's 5.49 million figure is now 10 months out of date. For Skyward Sword HD, we only have 2 months of sales. But when you look at the overall context for Zelda on Switch, then yes, I think Breath of the Wild has absolutely boosted the series' popularity generally; it's just that Breath of the Wild itself is still massively more popular than classic Zelda.

Look at it this way - before Switch launched, only 4 Zelda titles in 3 decades had crossed the 6 million mark (the original in 1986, Ocarina of Time in 1998, Twilight Princess in 2006, Ocarina of Time 3D in 2011). Those milestones were few and far apart. On the other hand, the odds are extremely high that, by March 2023, we'll have had four Zelda titles sell more than 6 million units each in a six year period - Breath of the Wild (2017), Link's Awakening (2019), Skyward Sword HD (2021), Breath of the Wild 2 (2022). It will also remain true that, while Link's Awakening and Skyward Sword each sell somewhere around 6 million or so, the two Breath of the Wild titles will sell far better than other Zelda games.

Ultimately though the series is more popular now than it ever has been, though Breath of the Wild, and the particular style and world of Zelda that represents, is much more popular than the classic style. But the classic series is selling more copies than before and it's doing so in a short period of time. The two classic Zeldas on Switch (so far) will outsell all but 4 or 5 of the 20 odd other Zelda titles, and 2 of the games they don't outsell will be open-world Zelda games.
This post reads like I'm denying that the growth of the series is impressive, when all I'm saying is that Breath of the Wild's boost packing quite a lot more punch than even the standard Zelda release gets from both the series being more popular than ever before + 'the Switch effect' is pretty impressive. That's all. When I say "clearest" boost, I just mean the boost which is so clearly astronomically high that you couldn't even mistake it for just being a convenient release on a particularly high selling console. No one could say something as huge of an increase as Breath of the Wild or Age of Calamity is just down to these titles being on a healthy install base, the increase in sales is just too big, whereas I think you could make that point about Link's Awakening remake or Skyward Sword HD - not sure I'd completely agree with it since the series' spike in popularity and the popularity of Nintendo consoles go hand-in-hand to making these products more attractive, but we've seen classic Zeldas go to or close to where Link's Awakening or Skyward Sword have been before. Can't really say that about Warriors compared to AoC or any mainline Zelda game when compared to BOTW.

Sorry if it came off wrong!

Last edited:
This post reads like I'm denying that the growth of the series is impressive, when all I'm saying is that Breath of the Wild's boost packing quite a lot more punch than even the standard Zelda release gets from both the series being more popular than ever before + 'the Switch effect' is pretty impressive. That's all. When I say "clearest" boost, I just mean the boost which is so clearly astronomically high that you couldn't even mistake it for just being a convenient release on a particularly high selling console. No one could say something as huge of an increase as Breath of the Wild or Age of Calamity is just down to these titles being on a healthy install base, the increase in sales is just too big, whereas I think you could make that point about Link's Awakening remake or Skyward Sword HD - not sure I'd completely agree with it since the series' spike in popularity and the popularity of Nintendo consoles go hand-in-hand to making these products more attractive, but we've seen classic Zeldas go to or close to where Link's Awakening or Skyward Sword have been before. Can't really say that about Warriors compared to AoC or any mainline Zelda game when compared to BOTW.

Sorry if it came off wrong!
Right I see, I think that's fair. Personally I'd say that, if we see these Zelda titles perform so strongly in such a short period of time, that's proof of increased demand for classic Zelda. As I said, those other high points were usually 10 years or so apart - to hit that milestone several times in close proximity makes me think there's increased demand for the franchise in general. But the most impressive growth is absolutely for Breath of the Wild and related titles.

Right I see, I think that's fair. Personally I'd say that, if we see these Zelda titles perform so strongly in such a short period of time, that's proof of increased demand for classic Zelda. As I said, those other high points were usually 10 years or so apart - to hit that milestone several times in close proximity makes me think there's increased demand for the franchise in general. But the most impressive growth is absolutely for Breath of the Wild and related titles.
Oh I agree. I absolutely think the series as a whole is growing along with Breath of the Wild, I just think Breath of the Wild is leading the charge by a decent margin. Sorry if that wasn't clear from my original reply.

To add to your point, I think that an original linear Zelda would probably have heavier marketing and heavier sales performance than even Link's Awakening or Skyward Sword HD. I feel like remakes/re-releases often have more capped potential than brand new games. I could easily see a new linear Zelda game selling bucket loads on Switch, putting aside possible saturation and things like that.

Back
Top Bottom