• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion How will Nintendo celebrate the 40th anniversary of Super Mario Bros.?

3dsboss

Nintendo Fan Always! :)
Pronouns
He/him
As the title states, I'm interested in seeing what you all think Nintendo will do to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Super Mario Bros.! I think most of us are expecting the successor to the Nintendo Switch to release next year and alongside that likely is bound to be a new Mario game, whether that's 3D Mario or a new Mario Kart, for example! In 2020, despite the circumstances, Nintendo still was able to offer a pretty good showing for the 35th anniversary with loads of merchandise, games, and products in general related to the series.

So, again, what do you think Nintendo does (if anything) to celebrate?!

(I partly got this idea from the Camelot thread that recently emerged as I feel like there's a chance we see a new Mario Sports title next year, framed as part of the celebrations!)

🌃 Super Duper Mario

Realistically, if it's the Switch 2 launch n3xt year we're going to get qt least one of 3D Mario, Mario Kart 9, or Mario Wonder 2, and probably a sports title.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them use it as an excuse to dump a whole bunch of Mario games on us. 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Mario Sports, etc.

Obviously they won't do every possible Mario game in existence, but it'd give them a good reason to go heavier than they typically would with Mario games, which would be nice given how Mario-heavy they've been in general the past few years.

I wouldn't be surprised if 3D Mario launches next year and they have a level/section that is an homage to the original Super Mario Bros. Like a 3D recreation of 1-1 or something like that.

Usually the _0th anniversary are smaller in scale. My guess is that whatever games were coming out anyways would be branded as an anniversary game, much like Super Mario Maker was for the 30th.

No special collections like the _5ths.

As the title states, I'm interested in seeing what you all think Nintendo will do to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Super Mario Bros.! I think most of us are expecting the successor to the Nintendo Switch to release next year and alongside that likely is bound to be a new Mario game, whether that's 3D Mario or a new Mario Kart, for example! In 2020, despite the circumstances, Nintendo still was able to offer a pretty good showing for the 35th anniversary with loads of merchandise, games, and products in general related to the series.

So, again, what do you think Nintendo does (if anything) to celebrate?!

(I partly got this idea from the Camelot thread that recently emerged as I feel like there's a chance we see a new Mario Sports title next year, framed as part of the celebrations!)
Nintendo will celebrate Mario 40th anniversary, by releasing a new 3D Mario/Mario Kart, maybe some new merchandise and more news on the Super Mario bros movie sequel.

Like has been stated, they'll just market the games that are gonna be coming out in 2025 anyway as a 40th anniversary release, and if it's a new 3D Mario everyone will be fine with it.

Usually the _0th anniversary are smaller in scale. My guess is that whatever games were coming out anyways would be branded as an anniversary game, much like Super Mario Maker was for the 30th.

No special collections like the _5ths.
40 is a big milestone though, I think they'll do something special for it. Year Of Luigi was similar for the 30th anniversary.

Super Mario Bros. 40

But in all seriousness, probably a new 3D game on the new hardware, maybe some NSO drops or another collection. The usual.

Right now, under the assumption that a new console is coming next year, I kinda don't think they'll make too big a deal out of it. Like, they'll do the expected 1st year of a console stuff, so probably a new 3D Mario and Mario Kart that could technically fall under an anniversary celebration, but I don't know how much they want the Switch 2's first year to be about celebrating Mario's anniversary in particular versus establishing the new console as a whole, y'know? These sort of franchise milestone celebrations feel more appropriate mid-cycle and not something you go nuts with in year 1

I think they might do some vaguely anniversary-themed DLC for Wonder or the new 3D Mario, could bring back Mario 35 as Mario 40, maaaybe some kind of 3D All-Stars re-release in 2026. But overall I think a lot of their marketing next year is gonna be about promoting the overall Switch 2 ecosystem and a broader variety of games, not just about specifically promoting the Mario brand.

They'll also probably start seriously hyping up the next Mario movie sometime next year

KeY2xZ.gif

3D ALL STAR 2

40 is a big milestone though, I think they'll do something special for it. Year Of Luigi was similar for the 30th anniversary.
Year of Luigi was 2 years prior to the 30th (2013 vs 2015). [unless you meant that it was the 30th anniversary of Luigi, which makes sense]

You could be right, but I can't think of too many companies who celebrate the 35th more than the 30th, seems like it's just a Nintendo thing.

In order to properly celebrate all 40 years of Super Mario's super history, Nintendo will release new Mario games every nine days

3D Mario and Mario Kart 9 will probably be the headliners at this point. I still feel like some kind of re-release is likely too. Right now, my gut feeling is a New Super Mario Bros. Wii port that releases in September for both Switch and the successor. They could also make 3D All-Stars available again - maybe with a Galaxy 2 update this time (available for previous owners at a reduced price or something).

Super Mario Century
Mario Kart X
Super Mario Wonder Maker
Super Mario 40
Dr. Mario 99

Super Mario Century is an excellent title, especially if they play into an anniversary theme. Would probably fit better for a 100th than a 40th, but 2085 is a long way away lol

A complete remake of Super Mario All Stars, with each game fully hand-drawn and animated using classic Mario style!!
(though most likely a temporary remaster of Mario 35 for Switch 2)

PS: 40th anniversary won't even be acknowledged
Nintendo has acknowledged all of Mario’s milestone anniversaries in a major way since the 20th. Why would they pass up on that easy marketing opportunity for the 40th, especially when the Mario brand is at its most ripe for expansion/profit after the movie and the opening of the theme park lands? Not to mention they can capitalize on it to help sell Switch 2 systems in its first year.

Some people said the same thing when the 35th was coming around, and the celebration they did for that was somehow even bigger than the 30th. There is a next to zero chance they let the 40th slide by with no mention whatsoever.

Nintendo has acknowledged all of Mario’s milestone anniversaries in a major way since the 20th. Why would they pass up on that easy marketing opportunity for the 40th, especially when the Mario brand is at its most ripe for expansion/profit after the movie and the opening of the theme park lands? Not to mention they can capitalize on it to help sell Switch 2 systems in its first year.

Some people said the same thing when the 35th was coming around, and the celebration they did for that was somehow even bigger than the 30th. There is a next to zero chance they let the 40th slide by with no mention whatsoever.
OK my mistake then. Still I'd expect minor stuff compared to 35th.

Going off how the 35th anniversary went...
  • Super Mario Bros 35 Deluxe, available for 3 months on Switch 2 for NSO+EP subscribers.
  • Mario Golf Live: Home Course, including an 120 dollar life-sized augmented reality golf club.
  • A new update for Super Mario Maker 2 adding extra block colors, the last planned update for now.
  • New Super Mario Bros 2 4K.
  • Limited edition Game & Watch Super Mario Bros 2/Super Mario USA.
  • Super Mario Odyssey Remastered 4K + Bowser's Angst.

To me, it is going to be really interesting to see what they do. I could see them focusing more on merchandise and expansions to the IP like the second Mario Movie (which we are bound to see in the second half of next year if it keeps the April 2026 date through a trailer and first look clips). The last two years have had a large focus on Mario video games that I am not sure what else they can do outside of new releases for the console-selling franchises like 3D Mario and Mario Kart. If the console is out in the first half of next year, I could definitely see them doing a 3D Mario launch and Mario Kart holiday type of thing, with some smaller cross-gen/backwards compatible titles mixed in for both the Nintendo Switch and it's successor.

Honestly, if Nintendo wants to keep its February/Early Year Nintendo Direct slot but do not want to do a Direct so close after when we assume the successor may be getting a presentation, a Mario 40th Direct could work in this regards. However, I do not think they would reveal a new 3D Mario and Mario Kart in it unless the successor's presentation does take place after it!

If they have some major games for the 40th, I’ll be surprised after they’ve unleashed the absolute motherlode of Mario universe games this and last year. That said, I feel a new mainline 3D Mario is a given.

Super Mario Warriors

Made by Koei-Tecmo

Mario, Peach, Luigi, Yoshi, Daisy, Rosalina, etc as playable characters

Levels inspired by Super Mario Bros 2, 3, World, Land 1, Sunshine, Galaxy 1 and 3D World.

Bosses includes Bowser, Koopalings, Tatanga, Wart, Kamek, etc

Back
Top Bottom