• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion How Will Metroid Prime 4 be Released?

What Way Do You Think Prime 4 Will Be Released

• Total voters

SpaceGodzilla

Did You Get that Thing I Sent You?
Pronouns
him
There's Been A Lot Of Talk the past year About Whether Prime 4 Will Be On Next-gen Or Not So I Decided To Make A Poll

Last edited:
No chance it skips Switch OG. It was one of the first games announced for it. It's going to be cross-gen.

I mean if it makes it in 2023 it’ll be just og switch. Doubt we see a successor till 2024

Might as well make it a cross-gen deal.

At least that way, hopefully, there will be an option to enjoy the game with max settings and 60fps on the successor.

100% crossgen. It will benefit immensely from the huge switch base while also benefiting from the superior visuals and performance of the switch 2 (with added visibility ofc)

Nintendo is certainly betting on it to hopefully get attention from the hardcore crowd so it will give something back too.

After Pokémon I think it’s time it was moved to the new Switch; Metroid can’t afford to fuck around with performance issues.
I dont think pokemon looks ugly as it does because of the switch...

After Pokémon I think it’s time it was moved to the new Switch; Metroid can’t afford to fuck around with performance issues.
You are right on metroid and I agree with not wanting it cross gen but pokemons screw ups are beyond the switch's hardware

They announced this game shortly after the Switch's release so they HAVE to release this on Switch and keep their promise to their audience at the end of the day.

However if this game doesn't come out in 2023 (looking more likely due to no Prime HD release yet) then the possibility of new hardware being out by the time Prime 4 is done is getting higher. Therefore cross-gen is the most logical outcome.

Cross-Gen by technicality regardless of release timing; since the next Switch will have backwards compatability.

Retro's website literally states it's in development for the Switch. I think it will be crossgen, but they're not going to cancel the Switch version just because there may be a new machine out by the time it releases. Nintendo doesn't roll that way.

Think this one will be like Dread where it's more or less canceled but then they lend the name to another project years down the line. Either that or it launches with Switch Dane in 2025.

Retro had Prime games running at a pristine performance on the Gamecube 20 years ago. It's just a matter of what they prioritize, plenty of Switch games run at 60.

Nintendo released Breath of the Wild on the Wii U, a dead console with a minuscule install base. There’s no way in hell they would cancel the OG Switch version of Prime 4.

I sincerely hope it's cross-gen. I would be fine if it was next gen only, and really took advantage of the new specs, but for the sake of fairness, it should come out for the system and audience it was promised to over five years ago. On the other hand, it shouldn't be limited by being Switch-only, especially in 2023 or 2024 or whenever the hell we see it.

Cross gen for sure since I think we’ll have the new Switch before it releases.

It'll be cross gen in as much as the switch follow up will be capable of playing switch games. The actual release format will be as a switch game only though, I would suspect.

Game has been in development for a while. It's gonna be OG switch, with maybe upgrades on whatever new model gets released. But it would be very hard to make it exclusive to hardware that didn't even exist when development started.

Cross-gen - simply because by the time it's out, it's highly likely we'll have a second generation Switch and it'll be backwards compatible.

Cross gen, no doubt in my mind.

Its been so quiet for years now. I’m expecting an update for 2023 or maybe a first look trailer, with a 2024 release and announcement for Switch 2 including enhancements

For Switch of course, don't know if it will be cross release but the next Switch will be backwards compatible so it does not matter. There is no way it skips current Switch, that's like if BOTW version for Wii U would not exist.

Cross Generation. Metroid Prime 4 together with the HD Remaster Trilogy have to released on Switch OG.

Everything else would be a big stupidity

it will be the breath of the wild of the new generational passage

(and commercially this will negatively impact the Switch 2, of course LOL - unless there will be another strong 1st party game to release aside - like Mario Kart 10)

For Switch only;

I don't believe we're that close of a new hardware nor that far of Prime 4's release.

Cross gen hopefully. Unfortunately it's been so long since this game was announced that I don't see any scenario where it lives up to the expectations people have built up in their heads. At this point I just hope it comes out and is on par with Prime 2 and 3.

I bet you're wrong on both counts
be prepared to be playing on our current Switch until 2025! ;P

(I don't have the income to spend on new hardware so soon, so I'm also personally hoping that isn't the case. Nintendo also seems quite comfortable)

Agreed, Retro, who have not been able to cobble together a video game this past decade, could be way, WAY worse.
Its much easier to think Retro will come up with the most impressive switch game visually than thinking they somehow will do worse than gf.

Not even if they tried i think lmao

Last edited:
It's getting pretty unlikely Prime 4 will release before new hardware, and they're not dropping Switch as a platform unless something extreme happens, so croos-gen is the obvious outcome.

Agreed, Retro, who have not been able to cobble together a video game this past decade, could be way, WAY worse.

No, they couldn't. Unlike the decision makers at gamefreak, if Nintendo sees retro and /or Metroid are about to put out a broken product, they'll tell them to cut that shit right out. They already cancelled prime 4s development once, and if it's not working out, they absolutely will do it again

Last edited:
Yep they made that decision in the past....few weeks. Absolutely /s

I think it could be a cross gen title. If Retro Studios today is still the same Retro Studios we knew and loved back then, it should be a visual looker at least on the current Switch but I'd imagine they could attempt to push the next Switch iteration with 4K upscaling.

Super Metroid, Prime 1, and the recently released, widely well-received, still-fresh-in-our-minds Dread. That's how high the bar for Metroid is. Retro have undertaken the monumental task of developing something that many are going to expect to measure up to one of the greatest games of all time, that their studio released two decades prior, with the project also having undergone a development reboot, delaying its completion by years. All this, and for a relatively niche franchise with modest sales potential, geared toward a specific enthusiast demographic.

Retro aren't going to release a shoddy product. They simply can't afford to. Not with all of the above working against them. Metroid Prime was a total technical marvel, back on the GameCube. The pressure to deliver must be pretty intense, honestly. Metroid has a certain standard of quality that it needs to target, because the games get by more on the high acclaim they garner, as opposed to being sales titans, like Pokémon. For Retro to release something approximating Scarlet and Violet's myriad of technical failings would be far more damaging to the series than it can reasonably endure. Pokémon can afford to release a few straight-up awful, busted games in a row (not saying the recent games are this, just speaking hypothetically), and it'll bounce right back up, with the "hit" (if you can even call it that) to the brand ultimately having proved negligible. A rough Metroid game, though... it's happened before, and the ensuing years of uncertainty for the series's future are still easily recalled by its fans.

Who knows, though. Even despite all this, maaaybe there's still that chance Prime 4 could suck, on a technical level? With Scarlet and Violet, however, the bar is so low, it's in Satan's basement. I don't think Retro can do much worse, as has already been noted above.

i guess I should mention when i mean cross-gen I don't mean backward compatibility

I don't see any scenario where Metroid Prime 4 is not playable on the current Switch ecosystem. There may end up being a "Switch Pro" version, but it will not be exclusive to new hardware only.

And it won't, lol.

Let's not compare the super tight development time for Pokémon Scarlet and Violet (that also happens to be open world), to what's gonna turn into one of the lengthiest and most expensive Nintendo developed games ever.

We've had games that ran like butter on Switch launch year, for god's sake is like everyone forgot Super Mario Odyssey exists. Or that Metroid Dread exists. 60FPS games that also look fantastic and have a ton of modern visual features. If we go on to add 30FPS games then we have Luigi's Mansion 3, Breath of the Wild and Astral Chain.

Metroid Prime 4, at least as far as we can tell by the trilogy, won't be an open world game. It also will have a bigger development than literally every game you can pull as one of the examples of performance and graphics sucking. And it has the high standard of being the follow up to one of the GOAT trilogies coming 16 years after the last installment at the absolute earliest.

I mean we got a game at launch that pushed the Switch further than Pokémon Scarlet and Violet, I don't think the problem is the Switch in any way.

I think cross gen is pretty likely if we still expect Drake to be released before or alongside Zelda, or even if it's holiday 2023 alongside Mario idk.

The point is that everything is gonna be cross gen as it's gonna be backwards compatible and games like TotK and Prime will have patches for improvements on Drake lol. But I think it's probably gonna have the same SKU of the Switch game.

Spring 2024 is the absolute earliest I can see it releasing by now. By then Drake will already be out, but not even close to have an install base comparable with OG to justify exclusives. Nevertheless games that were announced at the beginning of OG Switch to be cancelled for it.

I don't see it being the BotW situation of last game of OG Switch, first because it won't be a system seller as big as BotW, second because even when it releases there will be games coming for Switch after.

The other fact that we must not forget when considering a next gen only release is that it can be a major fuck up on development, and I don't think Nintendo will want to reboot development once again of a game that is already taking way too much time by their standards.

They actually made 2 games on the 2010s - Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze - and assisted development so Nintendo would be able to deliver on time the best selling 3DS game ever(MK7).

Tropical Freeze is a very good looking game and it's 60FPS, and they ported it to Switch at 1080p. They've also been working on something that got cancelled for quite some time(2013/14-2017). There were mainline Super Mario games cancelled, it's not like there's any studio that never had a project shelved. Retro themselves had a lot of projects cancelled to work on Prime.

Just happens that in 2017 they were tasked with retouching perfection with remastering/remaking Metroid Prime, and by 2018 - after already being working and helping on the project - they were tasked with rebooting and development what is among the most anticipated games of the Switch ever. Apparently, Metroid Prime Remake finished development last year, and Metroid Prime 4 is being developed and will come when it's ready. With Tears of the Kingdom and whatever next 3D Mario as examples of how long that might be.

Metroid prime 4 will be released as a videogame
Nah, it'll be released as a graphic novel that tells the first third of the story, a physical pinball table that tells the middle act, and a two-part untranslated anime OVA released on twelve VHS tapes in obscure flea market shops that tells the last act. Calling it now.

Last edited:
Cross-gen, we'll probably see it during the Switch 2 presentation, but I don't think it'll be a cross-gen launch title like BotW. I could see it coming out a few months into Switch 2 on both.

I voted Switch only, if only because I think MP4 will release this year and that Switch successor will be next year. At the very least, I don't see the point of releasing two versions of the game if the successor is backwards compatible. I could see some sort of performance update for the successor if they want it to be particularly beefy on the new hardware, though.

This thread is so old that I forgot I had voted in it, and that I had voted cross-gen.

My vote now would be Switch only, but it will be playable on Switch 2, like all Switch games, via backwards compatibility.

be prepared to be playing on our current Switch until 2025! ;P
well-so-im-done.gif

Back
Top Bottom