• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club How wild is it that Nintendo is about to release remakes of the Another Code games?

Derachi

Fresh Eater
Founder
Pronouns
he/him
Before they announced the Another Code remakes back in September, if you had asked me to name 50 games Nintendo could remake and release, Another Code (also known as Trace Memory) and it’s Wii sequel would not have made the list. Not that I didn’t know about them, of course I did, but they would not be the first (nor the 50th) game that’d come to mind. Cing, the original developer, is long defunct. They’re good games, from what I remember, but also not like, out-of-the-park bangers. They’re just kinda two interesting games from an era gone by that seemed cursed to live on “DS/Wii Hidden Gems” lists and “10 Obscure Nintendo IPs that you’ve NEVER heard of” YouTube videos.

AND YET

Here they are, coming out in a 2-in-1 package for the Switch, both games lovingly remade in beautiful HD with voice acting. Are they good? Sure! Maybe not 10/10 masterpieces but definitely interesting. Are they going to be Mario-like smash hit billion sellers? Not in a million years, but it almost feels like that doesn’t matter to Nintendo. They saw these games in their back catalog, thought “huh, those were cool,“ and then put actual work and actual budget into two full-on HD remakes.

The games themselves aside, that idea in-and-of-itself is worth celebrating, in my opinion. I’m really tempted to pick up this package just to tell Nintendo, “this rules, more of this please.”

What do you think?

Still not as crazy as Famicom Detective Club getting remade AND localized, but yeah, definitely love the ambition behind the Another Code remakes.

Fully 3D explorable environments is crazy.

Even if I wasn't excited for them (preloaded and ready), it is the most interesting release Nintendo has for 2024 so far.

This and Famicom Detective Club really reignited my hope for a proper modern western rerelease of the Mother series and the Soul Blazer trilogy.

Greenlighting Another Code remakes (alongside Famicom Detective Club) is legitimately another even bigger reason to not doubt Switch 2's game potential for the next gen. It tells me that Nintendo is so on the pulse and ready to just utilize all they've got to deliver some truly awesome games if they remember their old IPs that went under the radar.

Real recognizes real.

I generally disapprove of Nintendo's recent reliance on remakes and remasters, but I am willing to give some slack for these smaller IPs being given a new lease on life. I don't think I've picked up a first party game since TotK, but I've already got this title preloaded on my Switch.

amazing move from nintendo, we need more of these kind of remakes. get working on those kyle hyde games.

Tempted to buy them just to increase the odds of Kyle Hyde Collection and The Last Story Definitive Edition.

We got The World Ends With You in 2021, Advance Wars last year and Another Code this year. We’re Elite Beat Agents away from the complete set of golden DS revivals I jokingly pray for every Nintendo Direct.

Before they announced the Another Code remakes back in September, if you had asked me to name 50 games Nintendo could remake and release, Another Code (also known as Trace Memory) and it’s Wii sequel would not have made the list. Not that I didn’t know about them, of course I did, but they would not be the first (nor the 50th) game that’d come to mind. Cing, the original developer, is long defunct. They’re good games, from what I remember, but also not like, out-of-the-park bangers. They’re just kinda two interesting games from an era gone by that seemed cursed to live on “DS/Wii Hidden Gems” lists and “10 Obscure Nintendo IPs that you’ve NEVER heard of” YouTube videos.

AND YET

Here they are, coming out in a 2-in-1 package for the Switch, both games lovingly remade in beautiful HD with voice acting. Are they good? Sure! Maybe not 10/10 masterpieces but definitely interesting. Are they going to be Mario-like smash hit billion sellers? Not in a million years, but it almost feels like that doesn’t matter to Nintendo. They saw these games in their back catalog, thought “huh, those were cool,“ and then put actual work and actual budget into two full-on HD remakes.

The games themselves aside, that idea in-and-of-itself is worth celebrating, in my opinion. I’m really tempted to pick up this package just to tell Nintendo, “this rules, more of this please.”

What do you think?
If Trace Memory is back from the dead, then that means Kyle Hyde still has a pulse.

The sequel to Hotel Dusk never having been released in the West is a crime and I'm still incredibly thankful I picked up an import so I could enjoy the story myself, so me picking up Another Code is my hope and prayer to the universe that one day we may be blessed yet with another 70s noir crime thriller starring Hyde.

The handhelds were always cheaper to develop for, and got to see a number of games that might not have played on the TV consoles. I'm glad to see Nintendo at least attempting to keep stuff like this alive.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Advance Wars die off, just because it seems like it's always bumping into world events, but if Nintendo released a couple visual novel/narrative puzzle a generation, that would be pretty excellent.

This release especially demonstrates to me that it’s silly to ever argue that Nintendo would not revisit one of their old games/series because it’s not successful or notable enough. These are about as obscure, niche, and un-Nintendo of Nintendo games as you can get, and the original developer even went defunct, yet they still came back. It’s simply a matter of whether there’s people who have the desire and the means to make it happen.

I haven’t gotten over it since September! Another Code is such a left-field pull for full remakes that it has continued to befuddle and fascinate me, occupying a massive corner in the weird little part of my brain obsessed with obscure Nintendo IP. I have no nostalgia or experience with these games whatsoever, nor am I an avid fan of the genre they occupy, but I was fully compelled to preorder Recollection and will be playing day one!

Last edited:
They're the most exciting thing Nintendo's put out on Switch in a while for me. I love the genre but even after Famicom Detective Club happened I thought Cing's Nintendo published games were stuff Nintendo wouldn't bring back.

Hotel Dusk/Last Window remakes next pls. More people need to experience the secret best first party DS games.

This release especially demonstrates to me that it’s silly to ever argue that Nintendo would not revisit one of their old games/series because it’s not successful or notable enough. These are about as obscure, niche, and un-Nintendo of Nintendo games as you can get, and the original developer even went defunct, yet they still came back. It’s simply a matter of whether there’s people who have the desire and the means to make it happen.
This should have been obvious when Skip was allowed to make 5 Chibi Robo games that all bombed.

Wait I'm out of the loop, how do these and Famicom Detective Club remakes relate to a possible Mother 3 remake? Shared developers?

but yeah it's cool seeing what these games are actually like since the only thing I knew about Another Code is the main character was a trophy/sticker in past Smash Bros games.

Wait I'm out of the loop, how do these and Famicom Detective Club remakes relate to a possible Mother 3 remake? Shared developers?

but yeah it's cool seeing what these games are actually like since the only thing I knew about Another Code is the main character was a trophy/sticker in past Smash Bros games.
Just that Nintendo isn’t afraid to spend money on remakes of niche, cult-classic games

I love that Nintendo are not only going through their catalogue and bringing back these obscure adventure games like this and FDC, but actually putting a lot of effort into the rereleases. Like they could have easily just released barebones ports of the original games at super budget prices if they wanted to, but they’ve really just gone and redone everything from graphics, to controls, to even the puzzles to make the collection a more cohesive, palatable experience for audiences today.

As much as I love the big stuff like Zelda and Mario, its the super niche, interesting releases like this that always excite me the most when it comes to Nintendo.

I’d love if the Famicom Mukashibanashi games ended up getting a remake bundle in a similar vein to FDC and Another Code…. (Especially since those games are kind of untranslatable with the way they display text…)

Who knows, maybe that’s next?

In any case, I am so excited for Another Code. I never got to play the originals and they look right up my alley.

I do wonder how of all games Nintendo greenlit this one. Probably the budget was pitched to be very low.

If this can be brought back, almost any lowish budget thing could come back. That's an exciting thought. Personally I'd prefer hotel dusk.

I absolutely adore how Nintendo is willing to show this kind of love for super niche, largely unknown properties

Other companies would be saving this kinda thing only for big games which is so boring

It proves that

I’d love if the Famicom Mukashibanashi games ended up getting a remake bundle in a similar vein to FDC and Another Code…. (Especially since those games are kind of untranslatable with the way they display text…)

Who knows, maybe that’s next?

In any case, I am so excited for Another Code. I never got to play the originals and they look right up my alley.
I've been meaning to try the RetroArch AI translation service on those games for ages but never got around to it. I wonder how well it would perform on vertical text.

if Hotel Dusk and Last Window got the same treatment i would legitimately perish

do ya'll think that's actually possible given we have this now?

There are a number of games I buy that are motivated not just by my interest in playing the games but in telling the company making them that I want to see more of these. Within about a single week this month, I am buying three: Prince of Persia, Apollo Justice, and Another Code.

I touched (no pun intended) Another Code on DS, but I never beat it and never played the sequel. So I'm excited to experience these games that I think will be "good", no more or less. But I also would like to see Hotel Dusk come back in a collection. In my head, this Another Code remake collection is almost like a loose sequel to the Famicom Detective Club remakes, like how Wii had its "Wii ____" games that were all unrelated yet not. I don't want this "franchise" to end here.

I'm surprised we're getting this, and I'm telling Nintendo I want more. More visual novels and puzzle games. More games that were never released in North America. Could we get a Chibi-Robo collection or Captain Rainbow localization someday? Soma Bringer? Keep giving me what I don't expect, Nintendo, and I'll keep giving you my money.

I think that the chance for a remake of Mother 3 has never been higher.
The intent for a 3D Mother game was there, what with that N64 tech demo (or am I confusing it with FF6?)

If anything, they should bring Shigesato Itoi back for it

We got The World Ends With You in 2021, Advance Wars last year and Another Code this year. We’re Elite Beat Agents away from the complete set of golden DS revivals I jokingly pray for every Nintendo Direct.

I would kill for Elite Beat Agents on the Switch.

The intent for a 3D Mother game was there, what with that N64 tech demo (or am I confusing it with FF6?)

If anything, they should bring Shigesato Itoi back for it
That was a real game in development that struggled in part due to being on a 3D system and eventually became Mother 3 as we know it on the GBA.

they’re pushing it pretty heavily too, I noticed that Nintendo is paying up for YouTube pre-roll ads promoting the game.

The Famicom Detective Club remakes unfortunately wasn’t pushed nearly as hard. (No physical release, for one.)

Back
Top Bottom