• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Retro How many dungeons does Ocarina of Time have?

How many dungeons?

• Total voters

WestEgg

King of the Krocs
Administrator
Pronouns
he/him
Straight forward question, but here me out. There are eight dungeons in the game basically everyone will agree are dungeons. Inside the Great Deku Tree, Dodongo's Cavern, Jabu Jabu's Belly, and the five elemental temples. So eight, right?

What about Ganon's Castle? It contains puzzles, a dungeon item, and a final boss, right? Should it be counted as a dungeon? Or is it a mini dungeon akin to Ice Cavern and Bottom the Well? The game also divides the segments for some reason, so you have Inside Ganon's Castle, and Ganon's Tower. Is this maybe two mini-dungeons, 1 mini and one proper, or neither?

For that matter, the game treats the "Mini Dungeons" as dungeons in most ways, giving them dungeon maps, compasses, keys, and a major item. Farore's Wind also works in these areas. They just lack a titled final boss and heart container reward.

And then there's the Thieves Hideout. It has no map or compass, no major item (unless you count the Gerudo Membership Card), but it does have four minibosses and is definitely a labyrinth. Does this qualify as a mini dungeon?

And then there's also the Gerudo Training Grounds, which also lacks a map, but contains a major item (albeit optional). But it also lacks a map, compass, or real boss, and it's also entirely optional.

So here's how it could break down:

Ocarina of Time has eight dungeons. Dungeons are areas that have a map, compass, major item, a boss, and reward you with a heart container upon completion. Mini Dungeons are only intended to house an important item, but do not qualify otherwise as a dungeon. Likewise Ganon's Castle is a different entity altogether to house the end game.

Ocarina of Time has nine dungeons. Ganon's Castle should be considered a proper dungeon due to its complexity and importance. The original Legend of Zelda explicitly classifies Ganon's Lair as "Level 9" despite not rewarding a heart container, so that requirement is arbitrary.

Ocarina of Time has eleven dungeons. Ice Cavern and the Bottom of the Well are treated as dungeons by the game, so their distinction as "mini-dungeons" is arbitrary.

Ocarina of Time has twelve dungeons. The Thieves Hideout is an important part of the game and a proper labyrinth, and is functionally a dungeon. Alternatively, it is not, but the Gerudo Training Grounds is a dungeon due to its complexity, use of keys, and major item reward.

Ocarina of Time has thirteen dungeons. All above examples count as dungeons.

Last edited:
Not Enough.

(every distinct area/location made up of puzzle/loot/enemy setups is a dungeon)

mini dungeon is an arbitrary distinction since you can spend just as long in the well or ice cavern as you can in the deku tree

you've listed twelve dungeons imo since i'm a stickler and don't think the thieves' hideout counts but would count the gerudo training ground

I think Ice Cavern and Bottom of the Well born count as dungeons - they both have “items” that you need to get (red fire and the Lens of Truth), and as you say they all have maps, compasses etc. I don’t think thieves hideout should count, although I can see the argument for the training grounds. However, the lack of a map and compass is why I personally wouldn’t count it.

Ice Cavern and Bottom of the Well count as dungeons:

So Great Deku Tree, Death Mountain Cavern, Jabu Jabu Belly

Forest Temple, Fire Temple, Water Temple, Shadow Temple and Spirit Temple

Then you count the Spirit Temple as a kid as well.

Hyrule Castle is last.

So that's 12. Gerudo Training Ground's I just don't count as a dungeon as it's completely optional.

the 3 main dungeons as a kid
the 5 temples
3 mini dungeons (ice cavern, bottom of the well and gerudo training ground)
1 final dungeon (ganon's castle)

Ocarina of Time has 12 dungeons

I count it as 9.

I could go up to 10, the well can be considered as one in my opinion since it's complex enough and has a unique, memorable ennemy.
But definitely not the ice cavern. Having played it again this december for the forum's challenge, it's way too short and small to be considered as one. Barely even has puzzles.

Gerudo training ground is more like a side challenge than a side dungeon to me, but I understand why people would count it as one.

I count it as 9.

I could go up to 10, the well can be considered as one in my opinion since it's complex enough and has a unique, memorable ennemy.
But definitely not the ice cavern. Having played it again this december for the forum's challenge, it's way too short and small to be considered as one. Barely even has puzzles.

Gerudo training ground is more like a side challenge than a side dungeon to me, but I understand why people would count it as one.
The Well can be much shorter than Ice Cavern if you stick to the critical path. Most of it is just for Skulltula hunting.

Answer is not listed.

I'm trolling.

I believe it's 9 or 10? Can't remember to be honest. All I remember is that it had the best soundtrack for any Zelda game I've played

If the ice cavern / well / and training grounds take longer to beat than the deku tree (which I believe they do) then they are counted as dungeons.

I'm going with 8.

Most "final" Zelda dungeons are very straightforward and lack the focus on puzzle solving that Zelda dungeons are known for, especially in the 3D games. They're usually mostly enemy mobs and obstacle courses. And this applies to the "mini-dungeons" like the Ice Cavern as well.

Arbitrary? Maybe. But that's just how it is.

12 for sure. I don’t think the Thieves Hideout counts as a dungeon, it’s too free form in approach and lacks puzzles, but the final dungeon is 100% a dungeon and I would definitely count Bottom of the Well and Ice Cavern. Those two are mini dungeons (shorter length from the main curve, less big bosses), but still dungeons. Proving Grounds is an optional dungeon. It lacks a boss so it’s further non-traditional, but that’s fine, the challenge level is high.

A dungeon is a gauntlet of puzzle rooms and enemies imo. So 12 dungeons across 9 main, 2 mini, and 1 optional. If someone wanted to further split the 9 into 8 proper and 1 final, because it operates slightly differently (simple layout) that’s fine in my book.

Thirteen. If it has keys, enemies and requires me to use critical thought at all, that's all I need to count it as such.

9 dungeons. I don't think Ganon's Castle is a particularly good dungeon, but it's still complex and lengthy with a boss at the end. All of the other ones are too short or unconventional to count as full dungeons, which doesn't make them bad, I just don't think of them as complete dungeons.

9 main dungeons

I also have some controversial opinions about em
Spirit Temple is the best
Jabu Jabu's stomach is the worst
FOrest temple is boring
I would agree Jabu Jabu is the worst in the game, though it’s still decent overall.

Twelve

Inside Great Deku Tree
Dodongo’s Cavern
Inside Jabu-Jabu’s Belly
Forest Temple
Fire Temple
Ice Cavern
Water Temple
Bottom of the Well
Shadow Temple
Spirit Temple
Gerudo’s Trainning Grounds
Ganon’s Castle

I vote nine. Ganon's Castle is one and functions like one, the other things are not dungeons. Bottom of the well and Ice Cavern are mini dungeons, Gerudo's Training Grounds and Thieves Hideout are more like pre-dungeon areas than dungeons.

I hate that you've made me think about this in any serious capacity and I love it at the same time. As with most others here, I agree that there are nine main dungeons and several mini dungeons.

I think under the well is a dungeon.
You can literally walk straight, play a song, go back the same way, crawl under a space and get the Lens if you know what you're doing. I'd consider a mini-dungeon the first time around, but not even that in replays

Considering the question in the thread, it's eight. I don't consider Ganon's Castle to be a dungeon. It doesn't feel like one.

Loool
Ok Maybe it isnt all boring but i just find it a regular dungeon and not as intertesting as some of the other ones in the game. Basically im saying I dont see it as the peak of the game like some others do

I absolutely loved it mainly because I was TERRIFIED of it when I was younger. I was 8 years old when I played this game and I had to ask my friend to get through that level for me because I don't know, it was just TOO creepy. I still think it's a very atmospheric dungeon, to the point I find it more outright unsettling than Shadow Temple. A LOT of that is the music:

Nine.

The wolf fight at the end of the "Ice Dungeon" is not Ghoma.

I absolutely loved it mainly because I was TERRIFIED of it when I was younger. I was 8 years old when I played this game and I had to ask my friend to get through that level for me because I don't know, it was just TOO creepy. I still think it's a very atmospheric dungeon, to the point I find it more outright unsettling than Shadow Temple. A LOT of that is the music:

Im sure the ghosts in the temple didnt help either

Younger me got stuck on the forest temple for a week because I forgot you could climb blocks.

Nine, final dungeons like Ganon's Castle are generally counted even if they're sometimes not as complex in layout as what precedes them. Ice Cavern and the Well are very clearly mini-dungeons, they do not have the size nor complexity that a normal dungeon has and both are completed pretty quickly even compared to child Link dungeons. Gerudo Training Grounds is pretty explicitly a mini-dungeon as well, it's an optional late-game challenge area like the Cave of Ordeals in TP or The Trial of the Sword in BotW.

Back
Top Bottom