• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club How Many Characters in the original Super Smash Bros. did you know when you first played the series?

Which of the original 12 fighters did you recognize?

• Total voters
Everyone!.gif

The only one that really tripped me up a bit was Falcon, at first. Then I saw him hop out of the Blue Falcon in his intro animation. I at least recognized that machine from when I played F-Zero with friends in elementary school and it was like "OH, IT'S YOU!"

Just for Fun:
In Melee I didn't know Marth, Roy, Mr. Game & Watch, and Ice Climbers

Brawl: only Snake and Pit. Also, didn't know Wario's WarioWare costume

After this, I already knew everyone from
SSB3DS/Wii U and SSB Ultimate.

All but Ness. I knew what EarthBound was as an avid Nintendo reader but I didn’t know who the main character of it was.

None except the Mario characters, Sonic and Pikachu. I don’t think I even knew who Link was.

It's a little hard to remember exactly but I think I didn't know Kirby, Samus, Captain Falcon and Ness.

I have very vivid memories of the time when a friend cleared Samus' Classic Mode and we discovered that Samus was a girl. Everyone was like "woah!".

This is weird, because I remember getting pokemon yellow at launch (and having already played Red), yet I have strong memories of being introduced to the Pokemon series through Smash Bros on N64.

The release dates say that's not possible.

While I was pretty young, with the original Smash Ness was the only one I had zero clue who they were. With Captain Falcon it was more I knew what F-Zero/the Blue Falcon was and made the connection he was from that. After that I guess Samus was who I had the least connection to; I tried and failed to play Super Metroid as a small child but I still knew who she was.

With Melee I had zero clue who the Fire Emblem characters were, nor the Ice Climbers. Mr. Game & Watch I did understand the reference with as I'd played the Game & Watch Gallery collections for the Game Boy quite a lot. Everyone else I instantly knew.

Brawl onwards I always knew every character who got in, though I hadn't played a Metal Gear game (yet) when Snake got into Brawl.

EDIT: I feel like others have said this before but did anyone else have friends who insisted Ness was a Smash OC who were meant to represent 'the kids who play Nintendo games'?

When I first played Brawl when I was like 10, I knew of quite a few characters games from Nintendo Power, even ones I didn't play like Metroid or Metal Gear or Kid Icarus. However, I distinctly remember thinking the Fire Emblem and Earthbound characters were original to Smash.

I didn't know falcon or ness and I was only vaguely familiar with super Metroid.

I remember a kid in jr high calling Link and Fox "Peter Pan" and "Robin Hood" but we quickly corrected him.

Back
Top Bottom