• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion How do you think Pokemon Legends: Arecus will influence future Pokemon games?

How will Pokemon Legends: Arceus influence future mainline Pokemon games?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hidden04

Like Like
Banned
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokemon Legends: Arecus is coming out in January, and I am very excited. I think this game is going to blowup, and the game will bring in new fans, old fans, and fans of more hard-core RPGs. Thanks to the action-RPG mechanics, FFX turn based battle system, and different traversal options, the game feels more like a modern JRPG than ever before. However, I am wondering how this game will influence future titles. We keep hearing in the marketing that "This game opens new doors for the Pokemon series" and the game "is a bold new experience". However, on one hand, the game is so different from the traditional Pokemon experience, that it may be impossible to develop into a future mainline title. However, on the other hand, the game is being developed by Game Freak, and this game will bring in a new audience, like me, that they would want to remain for future titles. So, what do you think Fami?

Try to have a positive, civil discussion.

I feel like they might adopt some of its structure and some of its overworld and exploration elements, but the battle system and catching will stay in the Legends Subseries. I do hope it has a good influence on the main series, and I have confidence that it will, I'm very excited myself

The bigger and more open map will become a series staple, but the gameplay mechanics will be a one-off a la LGPE.

They’ll keep:
  • battles being seamless
  • catching being real time throwing
  • open areas with camera control
  • expanded movement options

Not sure:
  • trainer being attacked
  • turn orders and other combat changes

I think.
I think this is the most likely scenario outside of the catching, I think they'll want to preserve the core catching system in mainline new gen games

I think this is the most likely scenario outside of the catching, I think they'll want to preserve the core catching system in mainline new gen games
Well the normal catching is also still in Legends, we have seen the player throw a Pokéball to catch Growlithe the old way too

I don't really think Legends will become its own series. maybe if they do more to differentiate it from the mainline games, because I think Gen 9 is gonna heavily take mechanics from Legends. maybe if they give Legends to an external dev and allow them to twist the formula

The bigger and more open map will become a series staple, but the gameplay mechanics will be a one-off a la LGPE.
I dunno, I feel that everything about Legends is the future about the series. Let's Go is more a secondary line.

If Arceus is well received, that could easily become the mainline style.

I think Arceus stylr games will continue to be their own thing while core new gen games will remain the same

I don't know if they'd make "Legends" specifically a separate subseries, but my guess is that there will be other action-based Pokémon RPGs in addition to the more traditional ones.

Gen IX will incorporate some elements, but I would be surprised if it kept aspects like the player getting pwned personally.

I just hope it inspires GF to actually design their worlds again, to create a game that wants the players to engage with it.

Mainline Pokémon has more and more turned into an interface to the multiplayer meta game. It has an adventure mode that is there just check a box and is purely functional, it doesn't expect the players to explore it and play the game to engage with it, it does the bare minimum it has to, it's just a thing to skim through to get to the part where you're building your team and battling online.

Arceus goes in the totally opposite direction, it's focused on the single player and ditches or alters major elements of the meta game in order to better serve the mechanics of the adventure. The world is designed to be explored, and exploration is the objective in itself. I think it perfectly encompasses the feeling the old games had of being on your own on a vast world that you have to conquer.

Even if any particular mechanic from Arceus doesn't return in the main series, I just wish the GF team brings its spirit moving forward and recaptures that magic that has been lost.

New sub series that explores the history and legends behind the region that’s being featured that year. I doubt they fold much, if anything, from Arceus back into the main franchise. Pokémon seems really similar to Dragon Quest in that both series are highly resistant to change.

I'm hoping that this is the start of a new subseries for Pokémon instead of just a one-off. There's a lot you can do with the Legends concept, especially since all previous games have all occurred during the same modern era. There's a ton of worldbuilding potential here, and I'd love to see them explore Hoenn's past using the same formula.

I think the first two will happen, but the first with more certainty. The map design is already probably an evolution of the wild area, so it seems like natural progression. Action based gameplay will stay relegated to the Legends subseries, if it happens, though.

They’ll keep:
  • battles being seamless

Not sure:
  • trainer being attacked

I think.
I agree with this entirely. And honestly it's great because real-time poke ball throwing channels my inner child because I've been dreaming of that in Pokemon since PBR. Dodging attacks and stuff are definitely Legends exclusive though

depends entirely on how well it does, don’t feel comfortable predicting til we see reception and sales numbers

It's gonna depend on sales. If it does well (15m+) then it's gonna have a huge influence on the future of the series. I'm happy for them to develop Legends as its own very single-player focused thing away from the regular series tbh - as long as they don't detract from each other a single-player experience is what I'm after.

It will depend on how the changes are received and how much the game sells.
The next gen is probably more than half way done at this point, the influence of legends might take a while to be seen.

Elements of it will probably show up in future mainline games, but overall I expect it to be a one off experiment. Future generations will likely have similarly divergent games that go in somewhat different directions.

GameFreak are experts at introducing a mechanic only to shelve it in the next instalment, so I don't see Gen 9 lifting a huge amount from Arceus. Plus it makes sense to keep the style for the mainline games that have sold (and continue to sell) so well over the years.

Maybe it could lead to routes that are more open with wild Pokemon roaming them, not just the wild areas, and maybe legendary/raid encounters where you have to complete objectives before your Pokemon can battle them. In terms of battle mechanics and game progression, I think Arceus will very much be its own thing

Hopefully routes will be replaced with more open areas like LA's areas, though perhaps smaller if there's still going to be a fair few routes. I could see the out-of-battle Poke Ball throwing staying as well, along with throwing out your Pokemon to engage others.

I don't really anticipate them keeping much else going forwards besides maybe the Noble Pokemon serving as a base for boss battles in Gen 9 and beyond. Trainer damage would be cool, but I think they'll keep it here for the "wilderness" feel. Battles are definitely going back to the standard turn-based.

I think it'll have a minor influence on stuff like whatever the next Wild Area-esque mechanic is, but I'm guessing this is a one-off experimental game.

Gen 9 has probably been in full production since Crown Tundra was finished, and pre-production likely started before SwSh was even out.

Besides the more open nature, which was already started by SwSh, I can't see the reception for Legends influencing things for a while.

They’ll keep:
  • battles being seamless

Not sure:
  • trainer being attacked

I think.
Pretty much this.

I don't really think Legends will become its own series.
I hope it does, but can see this being a one off.
I'm hoping that this is the start of a new subseries for Pokémon instead of just a one-off
Me too, but dunno for sure. I would love to see GF or whoever continue the Let's Go stuff but in the various regions.
depends entirely on how well it does, don’t feel comfortable predicting til we see reception and sales numbers
This is likely the final answer. If it does well sales wise and the reception is positive I can see GF doing this with the other regions etc.

I think some mechanics will definitely be carried forward, perhaps crafting or even the open world player focused structure of the game.

I would not be surprised if the Legends name continues as a new subseries, especially if the game exceeds sales expectations.

New main core series while just like theres still topdown zelda games there still will be oldskool like poke games. Theyll for sure intergrate the more open world in the next pokegen. Especially after the success of sword n shield and its open ended dlcs.

New main core series while just like theres still topdown zelda games there still will be oldskool like poke games. Theyll for sure intergrate the more open world in the next pokegen. Especially after the success of sword n shield and its open ended dlcs.
what defines old school pokemon games at this point? the top down perspective?

I believe some of the mechanics are being tested for the main games, such as the seamless battle.
But I also think GF may be testing the waters for a new internal series to go along with the main games since BDSP is already being done externally.

what defines old school pokemon games at this point? the top down perspective?
Probably top down and grid based, there’s not much of a point in Sun and Moon/Sword and Shield style games now that they have transitioned to “full” 3D. They can better cater to everyone with 2 more distinct styles like they’re doing with BDSP+Legends combo

Quoted by: MP!
Probably top down and grid based, there’s not much of a point in Sun and Moon/Sword and Shield style games now that they have transitioned to “full” 3D. They can better cater to everyone with 2 more distinct styles like they’re doing with BDSP+Legends combo
I'd have no problem with this approach if they would just fully commit to both...

I'd have no problem with this approach if they would just fully commit to both...
The game design would have to diverge more significantly that SS/DPr has in that case. Much like how Zelda's two forms have diverged as the series split

Main series probably remain unchanged, random encounters etc.

Legends series will continue to improve, maybe we'll get full open world map for the next game: Pokémon Legends: Genesect.

I feel like all of the mechanics for interacting and catching Pokemon will be present in Gen 9.

I've watched the various trailers for Pokemon Legends Arcues a few dozen times and yet I still think it's so cool how you can just walk up to a wild Pokemon, send out your own Pokemon, and start battling seamlessly. I don't see them going back to battle transitions for a new game ever again.

They’ll keep:
  • battles being seamless

Not sure:
  • trainer being attacked

I think.
Yeah, this seems about right. Though I'd argue a lot of these are just evolutions off of SwSh and don't feel directly linked to Arceus

The whole exploration and observation based gameplay loop of Arceus will probably remain in that game or a subseries if its received well.

There's a lot of potential.
They’ll keep:
  • battles being seamless

Not sure:
  • trainer being attacked

I think.
This seems about right, yup. I'm also interested to see if more rules like time of day/weather/etc affecting mons and their actions will carry to future titles.

Back
Top Bottom