• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club How about a Nintendo 3DSwitch?

MeowMix

Cappy
Banned
Pronouns
He/ him
Hear me out...2 screens, horizontal, one on top of the other. 2 3D sliders (you can play in 2D or real 3D, your choice).

Essentially, it's an upgraded mix of 3DS and Switch. And it's fully BC. Are you in? If so... How much dough? 😜🤓

Great idea, I always wanted dual screens and 3D to make a comeback. Nintendo made a patent with detatchable dual screens a while back (which would allow both a DS-like dual screen mode and a Wii U-like one) so they seem to atleast somewhat care. The chances for 3D are lower, since the 3D hype is over and almost nobody makes 3D screens these days, unlikely but still possible.

Last edited:
Dual screens : yes please! I can do without 3D though, that never got utilized properly on 3DS apart from a few titles.

I'd absolutely love this, but it would probably be too expensive for me to buy myself... which is why I'd demand friends and family to just give me money for Christmas that year to help make up the difference.

A Switch with stereoscopic 3D would be very cool. I loved the 3D on the 3DS. Even now when I turn it on, I just marvel at the main menu for a bit. It hasn’t lost its magic.

If you want something like that on the Windows side this exists
This thing is so cool. If it weren’t ridiculously expensive I would buy one. It’s pretty much the perfect Wii U device.

It would depend how expensive it is. As nice as the DS/3DS were the WiiU kinda showed for bigger TV screen experiences 2 screens has much more limited usefulness.

3D screen however, all in! I'm one of the few I feel like that always had the 3D fully cranked.

That said I'd love if the Switch2 had an easy built in stand or way to hold the screen vertically in portable mode for a DS NSO app.

I'll take a Nintendo SwitchCube. Foldable OLED screen for travel play. Four controller ports in the front for legacy GC controllers. Fully BC. I'm in at $599.99 USD :p

Dual screens were a cute way of expanding resolution in portable consoles while leveraging the clamshell design and allowing for unique experiences like games that could be held like a book or using the bottom screen as a controller.

I never felt enthusiastic about dual screens in the living room where both were no longer in your peripheral vision at all times.

Even now in portable mode, with resolutions of 720p+ and having access to traditional controls, I'm not really hungering for two screens anymore. Plenty of screen space and inputs, just give me more touch control options and quicker menus.

Would rather have the 3D screen for a cute diorama effect.

A Switch with stereoscopic 3D would be very cool. I loved the 3D on the 3DS. Even now when I turn it on, I just marvel at the main menu for a bit. It hasn’t lost its magic.

This thing is so cool. If it weren’t ridiculously expensive I would buy one. It’s pretty much the perfect Wii U device.

Maybe if it does ok, we will see more like it or cheaper successors. First version of anything are rarely worth buying IMO.

I kind of like that the Switch was a return to a much more traditional handheld that can be played on a TV. I'd rather they continue with the simplicity of the Switch then go back to the dual screens

Nah, the 3D was fun but a bit gimmicky and dual screens would make it too bulky. Plus they would create inconsistencies with TV mode.

And I like being able to look over the shoulder at someone playing without getting all crosseyed.

Two screens will just increase the BOM and force devs who are trying to port between PC and Switch or PC/Consoles and Switch to jump through new hoops to make their games stand out.

Granted many devs may simply not use the 2nd screen, it will just implant the idea that their games are 'low effort' even among the devs themselves and make them not want to port games to a two-screen Switch because they feel they could not compete with Nintendo or 3rd parties making use of both screens.

The two screen thing kind of worked when Nintendo built their own development ecosystem that was clearly cheaper to work on than where the rest of industry was, so it made economic sense to just target the DS or 3DS, but as we saw with the 3DS, increased dev costs, and a smaller installed base saw 3rd party support dry up considerably compared to the DS.

Nintendo should not make that mistake again. As a more expensive to devleop for Switch 2 with some required gimmick will absolutely limit software that comes to the system.

I don't think it'd be a good idea. By the 3DS/WiiU era, even Nintendo was imo kinda running out of good uses for a second screen besides "place to offload some of the HUD or put a map". And a lot of mid-to-late 3DS games gave up entirely on supporting 3D, even from Nintendo-published games

With the Switch being a single screen with very easy-to-ignore gimmicks, Nintendo's finally getting some solid 3rd party support again, and I think a lot of that would evaporate if every port had to account for a second screen

Dual-screen/touch-screen gaming and glasses-free 3D was neat back in the day, but it feels very "of its time" to me and I'm not really clammering for comeback any more than I would want a mainstream return of Wii-era waggle

Everything about 2 3DS screens could be done better with a single 16:9 screen, whether you choose to flip it or not, while being vastly less wasteful while playing single screen games. Always up for more stereo 3D, though.

Back
Top Bottom