• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Hardware Hori has gotten approval to make a new "Steam Controller", and it's sadly a generic one.

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They
IMG-4691.jpg

for reference, Valve's own official gamepad (released in 2015) was this neat thing.
ss_d2f5e7325666df6119ff1d42be73bac9594c5b1e.1920x1080.jpg

while certainly not a 100% replacement for all previous controllers (2D games in particular aren't great without a D-Pad) the trackpads were a genuinely excellent replacement for the right analog stick, being a far better alternative to mouse aim than motion controls.
it also supported haptic feedback and back paddles before they became commonplace.

what makes this particularly baffling is that the Steam Deck kept some of the more unique features of that original controller (mainly the trackpads) alongside a more standard button layout, so i'm not sure why Hori didn't consider doing the same thing.

I always felt from trying to use it that the Steam Controller needed a second revision. The touchpads had some nice feeling for some use cases, and it's still probably the king at trying to shove non-controller games into a controller.

It wasn't that great at games that already supported a controller, though, with the left touchpad requiring a lot of finnicky setup and constant relearning if you wanted to use it as a dpad (I played the entirety of Axiom Verge like that, and it was honestly miserable), and the analog stick felt off somewhat.

A second revision could have polished up everything a bit. This is just a Steam branded generic PC controller, though. This ain't it.

On the one hand, I suppose it's recognizing that controller support on PC has improved a lot since the Steam Controller released, so there's less need for mouse emulation via the touchpads. On the other hand, since Steam has good support for most standard controllers, I'm not sure who the target audience would be for this.

That looks like the Horipad+ they released on Switch a couple years ago, except that one was pretty lacking in features and had a "fake gyroscope" so the motion aim wasn't very good.

Hope the Japan market likes this....

I can get going for a more traditional design. Trackpads instead of joysticks were a neat idea but as I can attest even with the Steam Deck; it's just not suitable for that sort of thing. I mean, it's nicer than the low accuracy touch screens that both Steam Deck and the Switch have, but for actual gaming it's mainly an exercise in frustration.

I'm not sure who the target audience would be for this.
Considering who is making this and where it's releasing, I could take a guess? PC gaming is really growing in Japan and I assume Steam is a apart of that, but the defacto PC controller is an Xbox one. With the state of that brand in Japan, it might make sense to release an Xinput, Xbox layout controller over there specifically for use with the PC/Steam market.

Back
Top Bottom