• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation Helldivers 2 (it's good)

Aurc

Trust The Process
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
I've managed to get a few sessions in with some friends, and it's fun! Even though it's a GaaS, I really appreciate how traditional it is at its core. In today's gaming climate, it feels like seeing a co-op shooter not loaded up with a bunch of superfluous or predatory bollocks is a rarity. This is a simple, straightforward game about shooting and nuking bugs and robots, and it's not interested in wasting the player's time with anything else. Really takes me back to my good 'ol millennial zoomboomer days of running Left 4 Dead 2 campaigns on the family computer (but not that family computer!) at 3 AM. The gunplay here is great, and the moment-to-moment gameplay leaves no shortage of funny moments and action-packed thrills.

So: any Fami folks playing it, or planning on getting it soon?

I almost picked it up over the weekend and probably would have if there had been any physical copies available. But ultimately backed out because I would have only played it for a day or two anyway with Rebirth releasing this week.

But I will pick it up eventually when I have some real time to play it.

I wish I had a means of playing it - no PS5 and haven’t built a PC in quite some time.

I had a feeling it was going to be special for quite some time. Even so, I’m surprised just how much success it’s seen.

It's gonna be fun seeing how this game evolves in the aftermath of its overwhelming success. Anyone could've figured the devs already had a content roadmap and game plan for long term support (mechs have already been confirmed, and vehicles are a safe bet), but how do they respond to its popularity and keep players interested? I'd personally like to see some mission modifiers thrown into the mix, all of them varying shades of absurd. I wanna be able to dive off cliffs without taking fall damage or ragdolling, for instance. Just a ridiculous, b@d@$$ dive into a perfect prone off of Pride Rock!

I haven't been playing for long yet, but here are a few of my favorite moments with friends so far. Warning that I utter a mildly inappropriate word in the first clip, I guess 😅

Incredibles be damned, capes are always cool af.

Thinking about picking this up soon but I only have one friend I can reliably team up to play online... and then I'd have to buy PS+.

I will say, when I look at a game like Helldivers -- and it's a great game, kudos to the team shipping on PC and PlayStation -- I'm not exactly sure who it helps in the industry by not being on Xbox. If you try to twist yourself to say, like, somehow that benefited somebody somewhere.

Incredibles be damned, capes are always cool af.

Thinking about picking this up soon but I only have one friend I can reliably team up to play online... and then I'd have to buy PS+.
Yeah, the PS+ barrier sucks. My friend bought it on PC partly to dodge the added expense of it. I wasn't gonna resub, since I rarely play MP games these days anyway.
I will say, when I look at a game like Helldivers -- and it's a great game, kudos to the team shipping on PC and PlayStation -- I'm not exactly sure who it helps in the industry by not being on Xbox. If you try to twist yourself to say, like, somehow that benefited somebody somewhere.
Daddy Phil wanted this one on Game Pass 😄

Humor of the quote aside, I do agree that this type of game's longevity and sense of community only benefits from being spread across more platforms. Exclusives suck in general, but when more and more games have crossplay and this one is so team / buddy oriented, getting to call in friendos from the PC and Xbox side would've been really neat.

I'm picking this up soon for pc as well, it's like €30 on cd keys. I wasn't interested in this, since I'm not big into shooters. But my friends told me this game is enjoyable even for people like me, so I'm curious. If this was €60-€80 then I wouldn't get no matter what, so I love that they went with a lower price.

It's definitely interesting but I don't really have anyone to play with which is my issue for most MP games... but maybe after Rebirth i might check it out- perhaps we can get a Fami Squad together or something, would be cool to have some MP ppl so i don't just ignore MP games out of hand 99% of the time

YO0GiH2.jpeg

It's getting harder by the day to convince myself that there's not enough games I want to play on PS5 to buy one.

Loved the first game, watched Nextlander stream some of this one (+ your clips!). It looks so good.

I have it! With the first week consisting of a lot of server woes and the game being frequently down, I haven't played a ton so far but every time I do it's an absolute blast. The game is complete meme material, the team did a great job with it. I need one of those little guardian drones 😭 they seem so effective

I have it! With the first week consisting of a lot of server woes and the game being frequently down, I haven't played a ton so far but every time I do it's an absolute blast. The game is complete meme material, the team did a great job with it. I need one of those little guardian drones 😭 they seem so effective
Yes, you do need one Donnie! The laser drone in particular is great! Little buddy lasts through entire missions. It's really good at cleaning up trash, enabling you to focus on the larger, spongier enemies. I like how the game displays a little successive kill counter at the bottom, so you can see the work your drone is putting in. The only downside? It can occasionally kill you or your teammates... much like everything else in this game, friend or foe 😅

The PC version being around $30 and running pretty well means at least a couple people in the discord group chat playing with a stream up. I actually liked Magicka and the first Helldivers quite a bit, but haven't gotten into this one because I get enough of my fill via that osmosis while I play other stuff I'm more into rn (I also spent all my gaming money on those other games ;~; ). If I wanna play co-op PvE shooter things there are others I'm more into atm anyways, but this one seems p good for when I get bored of those. This genre of GAAS is getting pretty popular and I'm glad to see another good one pop up if I decide to stop being broke bitch about it.

The PC version being around $30 and running pretty well means at least a couple people in the discord group chat playing with a stream up. I actually liked Magicka and the first Helldivers quite a bit, but haven't gotten into this one because I get enough of my fill via that osmosis while I play other stuff I'm more into rn (I also spent all my gaming money on those other games ;~; ). If I wanna play co-op PvE shooter things there are others I'm more into atm anyways, but this one seems p good for when I get bored of those. This genre of GAAS is getting pretty popular and I'm glad to see another good one pop up if I decide to stop being broke bitch about it.
Yeah, I think it's rad that it launched at $40, and not $70 (@Yamanoi). $30 is even better! It's a well made game, and good to hear it runs solidly on PC, unlike a couple of the other games Sony's published on there. I never got around to playing the first Helldivers, but after looking into it, I think it's cool how it's basically the same deal as the sequel, but top-down instead of third-person. The devs didn't fundamentally alter what their game was, they just changed the perspective and rebuilt around that. It also explains why it feels like a back in the day co-op shooter.

Yeah, I think it's rad that it launched at $40, and not $70 (@Yamanoi). $30 is even better! It's a well made game, and good to hear it runs solidly on PC, unlike a couple of the other games Sony's published on there. I never got around to playing the first Helldivers, but after looking into it, I think it's cool how it's basically the same deal as the sequel, but top-down instead of third-person. The devs didn't fundamentally alter what their game was, they just changed the perspective and rebuilt around that. It also explains why it feels like a back in the day co-op shooter.

It does come to $70 after all. If you buy it for $30 on a key site and then want to also play it on PS5, it is $40 there. Now you might think that math in games and in real life was created equal, but you look at me and you look at @big lantern ghost and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one on one with another Moderator, you got a 50/50 chance of being banned. But I'm a shitposting freak and I'm not normal! So you got a 25%, AT BEST, at banning me. Then you add @Suswave to the mix, your chances of banning us drastically go down. See the 3 way in the Nintendo General Discussion, you got a 33 1/3 chance of being banned, but I, I got a 66 and 2/3 chance of getting someone else banned, because @big lantern ghost KNOWS they can't ban me and they're not even gonna try!

So @Aurc , you take your 33 1/3 chance, minus my 25% chance and you got an 8 1/3 chance of banning me on Family Boards. But then you take my 75% chance of avoiding it, if we was to go one on one, and then add 66 2/3 per cents, I got 141 2/3 chance of getting you banned in the thread. See , the numbers don't lie, and they spell $70 for you on Family Boards.

It does come to $70 after all. If you buy it for $30 on a key site and then want to also play it on PS5, it is $40 there. Now you might think that math in games and in real life was created equal, but you look at me and you look at @big lantern ghost and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one on one with another Moderator, you got a 50/50 chance of being banned. But I'm a shitposting freak and I'm not normal! So you got a 25%, AT BEST, at banning me. Then you add @Suswave to the mix, your chances of banning us drastically go down. See the 3 way in the Nintendo General Discussion, you got a 33 1/3 chance of being banned, but I, I got a 66 and 2/3 chance of getting someone else banned, because @big lantern ghost KNOWS they can't ban me and they're not even gonna try!

So @Aurc , you take your 33 1/3 chance, minus my 25% chance and you got an 8 1/3 chance of banning me on Family Boards. But then you take my 75% chance of avoiding it, if we was to go one on one, and then add 66 2/3 per cents, I got 141 2/3 chance of getting you banned in the thread. See , the numbers don't lie, and they spell $70 for you on Family Boards.
Now this... this is a high-effort shitpost. Regardless, I'd like to ban you for subjecting me to math! I just don't wanna roll the dice to check my chances of success, 'cuz that'd be even more math. Instead, I'll simply force this upon you:

my only regret is that I haven’t been walking weird as hell in gigaplatform boots to this song all month

now what’s all this about Endless Ocean: Inferno — Second Layer?

For a GaaS, it does a poor job of it. No dailies? No timegating? Every battle pass equivalent stays on your account forever? Micro transactions at a minimum? Were they even trying?!

I am printing this out and framing it

Figured this would end up being solid, but it is very surprising just how much it blew up. Not even Sony was expecting that, clearly. PvE games I feel can often get pretty overlooked in their success potential with multiplayer GaaS games often being so PvP focused.

I’ll almost surely get it at some point, though. Maybe after Rebirth.

I’m no good at shooty games (designated halo party squad pariah at birth) but those videos intrigue me

maybe someday I’ll have the means for a taste test. perched on the couch, gamebrain dialed to goatcheese, telling the cats “not now, darling, mommy’s at the crab war”

For a GaaS, it does a poor job of it. No dailies? No timegating? Every battle pass equivalent stays on your account forever? Micro transactions at a minimum? Were they even trying?!
Super glad that since the microtransactions mostly involve cosmetic gear, I can save my premium currency (earned from playing the game normally) for the higher tier battle pass, or the few armor sets I actually want! I'm the type to just do up his bloke in a couple sets of armor, then keep him that way basically forever, so it's perfect for me. The game does need some basic color customization options, though.
Figured this would end up being solid, but it is very surprising just how much it blew up. Not even Sony was expecting that, clearly. PvE games I feel can often get pretty overlooked in their success potential with multiplayer GaaS games often being so PvP focused.

I’ll almost surely get it at some point, though. Maybe after Rebirth.
The devs have said they aren't interested in adding PvP to the game so that toxicity stays at a minimum, and I can respect that. I think their efforts would be better concentrated towards making the PvE as robust and engaging as possible.

scott-steiner-math.gif

Wanted to buy it on PC but apparently it has some Rootkit anticheat software that might be a security risk.
I don't know much about these things, but I read several concerned posts, so I hold of for now.

It is cool that it has crossplay, so I could play with my PS5 friends.

Been playing with a group of friends and it's a really great co-op game. Even though it's GaaS it's priced fairly and doesn't feel intrusive, very much worth it.

It looks incredibly fun and my buddies who've played it have nothing but good things. Just waiting for some kinks to be ironed out before I hop in!

I've been jamming with the PC version since launch, several friends of mine across PC and PS are doing our part.

It's honestly the Starship Troopers game I've always wanted, and on higher difficulties, it's the bug/machine madness of my dreams. I do wish enemy AI and variety will be upped in the future, but what's here is already very fun and I've really enjoyed my time with it. The writing is perfect, the tone is exactly what propels it for me, its satire "done right", a rare thing in this day and age.

Very happy for the teams' success, and very happy to help melt the servers with a bunch of other recruits!

Back
Top Bottom