• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Hear Me Out: Super Mario Odyssey 2 as a Nintendo crossover makes perfect sense

Phendrift

Gerudo
Pronouns
He/Him
A two year old idea has been reawakened in the depths of my mind by recent Mario Kart crossover discussions. I actually disagree with that, as I feel like Nintendo doesn’t need ANOTHER multiplayer crossover franchise and there’s so much of the Marioverse to expand MK with.

However, I there is a Mario game that could benefit from being a crossover - a sequel to Super Mario Odyssey 2. I know I know, it’s madness! The next mainline Mario game should not be a crossover! But let me explain.

To start with the core thesis, it’s this: Super Mario Odyssey 1 is all about Mario being the odd man out in strange new worlds. The game thrives on weird, zany locations. You have Mario visiting a realistic city, dark souls-like ruins, the abstract looking luncheon kingdom, Bowser’s castle become feudal, Mario turned into a realistic dinosaur. Odyssey combined tons of vastly different art styles and locales to accentuate a feeling of visiting TRULY different worlds. Thus in my opinion, a crossover would fit completely naturally with the tone odyssey already established.

I picture it as a Kingdom Hearts of Mario when Mario is Sora in the sense that he’s still the main character, it’s a MARIO game first and foremost - so a 3D platforming adventure, but worlds of other Nintendo franchises replace the kingdoms

So, what are other reasons I like this idea?

• Captures provide the ability to “control” characters from other series. You could have wacky scenarios like controlling Ridley with a Mario hat and mustache, tons of funny memorable moments where you see how gameplay elements from other Nintendo franchises are cleverly incorporated into Mario.
  • It would feel special. Crossovers are so common in multiplayer games now - a fully crafted single player Mario game that crosses over with other Nintendo franchises and feels NATURAL doing so would be a love letter to Nintendo as a whole from its leading man, similar to how odyssey 1’s new Donk festival was a love letter to Mario’s history
  • It differentiates itself from odyssey 1 presentation-wise. Obviously this would be the Galaxy 2 of odyssey from a gameplay perspective. However if any complaint is made about galaxy 2 - it’s usually that it feels like a rehash without its own identity despite being an amazing game. This idea means “odyssey 2” would carve its own impact and differentiate it vastly from Odyssey 1.

Overall I’ve loved this idea. It sounds like a fanfic sure, but for me it’s one that makes complete tonal sense and could be executed in a very classy and super special way.

What are your thoughts on the proposed Super Mario Odyssey 2: Multiverse of Madness?

I don't want any more crossovers personally. I just want things to be their own things.

I kind of feel this way as well. Everything is becoming a crossover now.

With that said, the OP idea isn't a bad one so if they must do a crossover this is a good way to do it.
I am actually someone who is pretty against them, like I don’t really like the Nintendo Kart idea. But as detailed in the OP, yeah it’s because it fits really well with odyssey to me. It’s kind of just a golden opportunity before they move onto whatever the next 3D Mario concept is.
This is a good idea, but only if Mario gets to drive the famous "Excite Truck", the Boulder. And it wears his hat.
Well there is a racing minigame in most 3D Marios so 👀

I would be very happy with this direction for an Odyssey 2.

I still don't think they're making an Odyssry 2, though.

I get where you're coming from, but I'm still kind of against it. If they wanted to do some cross-overs, I'd rather its application be very limited; perhaps hidden pipes in each world that lead to very small zones from a few other franchises, maybe with 1-2 stars each.

One of the things I love most about 3D Mario titles is how level design is largely untethered - it was true of Galaxy, and doubly so of Odyssey. I want more of whatever they did had going on with Galaxy's Space Junk and Gusty Garden and with Odyssey's Bowser's Kingdom and even Cap Kingdom.

Also it's just one more opportunity for them to create a stunning FZero setting without making a new FZero game and that's the pits

This could work and your reasoning is sound but I'm not really into it. I don't really like crossovers outside of Smash-like multiplayer games and I also don't think the Odyssey-formula is anywhere close to exhausted so they need to do this.

The only franchise I want Mario to cross-over with is Donkey Kong.

A bit torn between a more standard Mario Odyssey 2 and this idea. Maybe a mix of both is the way to go?

Edit: Thinking about it more, I feel like at least for now, if they just had a Zelda Kingdom I’d pretty much be fully satisfied.

Last edited:
In principle I wouldn't be opposed to it, but I feel like, if Nintendo are going to do another crossover game after Smash, there's only going to be one. I don't see it being the case that they'd turn both Mario Kart and 3D Mario into crossover fests, even though there's promise in both premises.

Nintendo will surprise us all when the next crossover happens to be Nintendo World, a sequel to Nintendo Land.

"X franchise should be a Nintendo crossover" is the "X franchise should go mature" of the Switch generation

I don’t think it does.
Mario Kart makes sense, due to the mp nature of it. If they want to make a grand adventure crossover, like a good version of Subspace Emissary :p then by all means create a new IP series for that.

The classic Mario adventure games should stay as their own thing.

I'd be okay with just like, a Hyrule World, but I wouldn't particularly care for a whole game like that.

It's 3D Mario, so I'd still play it, but I'd rather see new stuff.

No thanks, I want Mario to keep its own identity. Crossovers are almost always terrible, they dilute everything. Save them for when they actually add something to the mix.

No offense OP, but I am getting tired of Nintendo fans wanting to turn Mario games into crossovers.

I would love a multiplayer aspect for Odyssey 2 that incorporates some sort of Fall Guys concept where it’s a platforming battle royale but obviously with the polished controls that come with Mario.

Mario, senses ablaze, stumbles into a forgotten land. He raises his eyes as a pink blob hops over. Staggering to his feet the plucky plumber doffs, then wields, his cap as a breeze kicks up. It's a gust now, a whirlwind sucking him into the void. In a desperate bid for survival our hero flings his hat into the gaping maw. Cappy, eyes wide, struggles to take control of Kirby's power to absorb Mario's abilities while Kirby vies to absorb Cappy's ability to take control of sentient beings' powers. The pair cycle between control and absorption, faster and faster, opening a crackling vortex of energy that rends the air. It's a bit like Harry Potter v Voldemort and it's fucking amazing. A huge portal has opened and out steps the Switch Dane. With a booming voice Dane declares: 'Only the power of DLSS can solve the Kirby/Cappy paradox and enable the greatest platforming crossover since Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympics.' As one, Nintendo fans across the globe fling their old muddy consoles into the sea and rush out to buy Dane, while stocks last. They spend the next years hooked on Mario/Kirby's latest and greatest, an experience so fresh and eye-opening I can't even begin to describe it for you right now. To be continued.....

Captures provide the ability to “control” characters from other series. You could have wacky scenarios like controlling Ridley with a Mario hat and mustache, tons of funny memorable moments where you see how gameplay elements from other Nintendo franchises are cleverly incorporated into Mario.
Does this take place on K-2L?

One or two worlds being a reference, like we got in the first with Princess Peach's Castle from SM64 could be neat, but I would rather have original levels than a whole game based around the concept. If anything, it would make those particular levels more special.

I would easily trade getting a Moon from Tom Nook for digging 10 holes in an Animal Crossing Kingdom in favour of some of more unique wackier worlds.

I think it'll be perfect, but actually it'll be some crossover kingdoms instead of the whole game. Like in Sonic Lost Worlds and Mario Kart 8 DX.
I think a Donkey Kong kingdom is a must, and I'll be gladly served with Zelda and Metroid crossovers.
Other Nintendo characters if it has a more massive online mode ala battle royale I think would be neat.

Nah. If they're not active Nintendo franchises, they shouldn't be featured outside of Smash Bros. A lot of Nintendo's important IP's are dormant right now.

But I'm not against the idea of another Captain Rainbow like game. Not as "different worlds" kinda thing but an adventure with Nintendo characters making appearance along the way.

I can see next Mario game being a 3D open world platafform like Bowser’s Fury but bigger and different sections.

As other said, with a multiplayer battle royale style mode like FallGuys.

Exclusive to next Switch model.

I would totally dig this. I found the realistic dinosaurs, people, etc. in Odyssey to be kind of off-putting in a way. It just didn't gel. If they're okay throwing Mario into Sonic Adventures territory, they should be okay having Mario meet the denizens of Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, Pikmin, etc. universes too.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if they didn't do an Odyssey follow-up. I'm also tired of the Mario modern Marios focusing on the Mario3/World/SM64/Galaxy trappings and would like to see them to revisit the more obscure Mario 2 USA and Mario Land games' worlds, enemies, music and such.

I agree that Odyssey is definitely the best option for a Nintendo crossover game that isn't Smash, for the reasons you've stated.

Like, exploring a Zebes or Hyrule as Mario and possessing Metroids and Bokoblins sounds rad.

I can't believe I missed this

honestly I think my conclusion from this saga is that I just don't think the world of Mario is interesting compared to other Nintendo settings

I'm tired of crossovers in general. But most of all, I just want to see Mario's world fleshed out. They already play it way too safe with Mario. For them to make an entire game about Mario in other Nintendo worlds says that Mario isn't interesting enough.

Edit: I do think it's a neat idea, I just don't think now's the best time. Mario needs to focus on itself a bit more for a while, imo.

I am absolutely sick of crossovers - and hope that MK9 isn't one.

But the argument OP has laid out with Mario Odyssey is actually pretty compelling.

Let's say we can have Mario X Nintendo if the next Smash Bros gets rid of all 3rd party characters. Deal? Deal.

I wouldn't mind Donkey Kong characters as that would fit naturally for a crossover. If they're going to cross over with Link and Zelda, I kinda want to see a steampunk Link or a dieselpunk Link or something that isn't medieval fantasy setting for Link.

But the argument OP has laid out with Mario Odyssey is actually pretty compelling.

Let's say we can have Mario X Nintendo if the next Smash Bros gets rid of all 3rd party characters. Deal? Deal.
Yup I’m with you, I’m normally against them too.

But it just feels really in line with and would be respectful of what odyssey established tonally

I have crossover fatigue
Same.
I don't want crossovers in mainline games if they end up more than being a cameo.
Yes Smash is a big thing and people like Like and co. in Mario kart, but one is specifically a crossover game and the other one a party racer.

You can do enough in the world of Mario and expand on that universe. I would rather have them flesh out the universe more like they did with
the Paper mario games back then.

Same.
I don't want crossovers in mainline games if they end up more than being a cameo.
Yes Smash is a big thing and people like Like and co. in Mario kart, but one is specifically a crossover game and the other one a party racer.

You can do enough in the world of Mario and expand on that universe. I would rather have them flesh out the universe more like they did with
the Paper mario games back then.
I'm tired of crossovers in general. But most of all, I just want to see Mario's world fleshed out. They already play it way too safe with Mario. For them to make an entire game about Mario in other Nintendo worlds says that Mario isn't interesting enough.

Edit: I do think it's a neat idea, I just don't think now's the best time. Mario needs to focus on itself a bit more for a while, imo.
Part of why I’m on board with this idea is that Nintendo seems to be explicitly out to avoid doing what y’all are suggesting. It’s a miracle odyssey got new species in the Marioverse at this point.

Friendly reminder that Kamiya's original pitch for Wonderful 101 was a Nintendo crossover game and the producer immediately rejected it without even looking at the rest of the pitch. Aside from Smash, Nintendo crossovers with other Nintendo IP are incredibly rare and that's probably deliberate.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who would be okay with Smash ditching third parties. Plenty of Nintendo IP to explore. They could always get someone to do a Nintendo x Capcom fighting game if they really want to see Mario battle Dante or whatnot.

i just need delfino plaza please god.

also, OPs idea sounds like it would make a good movie tbh

The overall argument is compelling, as many Nintendo worlds certainly wouldn't be any more out of place than various elements of Odyssey (famously, New Donk City), and the concept certainly works. I'm not sure how much I'd want it to be the whole game, though. While Nintendo has appeared somewhat adverse to expanding and fleshing out the Mario realm, an EPD production seems the sort of place they might get away with that.
Visiting old locations, fleshing out others, creating whole new lands, turning old concepts upside down: there's no end to what could be done in a new Odyssey. Like my take on the question of Nintendo Kart, I would probably lean toward possibly including some, but not making it the focus.

However ...
Captures provide the ability to “control” characters from other series. You could have wacky scenarios like controlling Ridley with a Mario hat and mustache

Does this take place on K-2L?

This. This has sold me on the idea. I can't wait to see Samus' reaction when she sees the big googly eyes that have been added to Mario's cap in the next iteration of Smash Bros.

Furthermore, imagine this: Captain Falcon is in position to begin the last section for the current F-Zero race, and the fate of the galaxy is truly at stake this time. He scoffs at the weird star that has appeared at the finish line and at Deathborn's weird new googly-eyed hat. The hat winks at him.

Deathborn wins and the galaxy is doomed.
The ridiculous hat disappears.

You know what, let's make this Super Mario Hearts thing an Odyssey spinoff or something. You might be onto something here.

But I'm not against the idea of another Captain Rainbow like game. Not as "different worlds" kinda thing but an adventure with Nintendo characters making appearance along the way.

Clearly the crossover event fevre is real, and Captain Rainbow needs his redemption. The original and a new sequel (or just expanded content) can finally arrive.
(Deep Lore: the forgotten characters Captain Rainbow meets are actually manifestations, aspects of the characters as they appear in Nintendo Purgatory. These are not the characters themselves, nor are they accurate representations thereof, but they communicate the dire state in which these individuals find themselves)

I wouldn’t use a Mario game this way at all. Here’s my quick wee alt idea - use Wario. Fuck it, make Wario and Kirby the main characters in Wario and Kirby Land as they go on a ridiculous adventure to save fictional dream worlds.

As a slight aside to this topic, I do feel it was a bit of a lost opportunity in Odyssey to not have other Mario cast members cropping up in the various worlds as NPCs. When Pauline was revealed I had visions of each world having its own Mario representative that you could interact with, making the odyssey as much about the people Mario met as well as the journey itself. Alas, Nintendo's reluctance to do anything with the extended Mario cast outside of the kart/sports spinoffs put paid to that idea. So I'd like to extend invitations to the likes of Wario, Yoshi, Daisy etc, before we move onto the other Nintendo franchises.

As a slight aside to this topic, I do feel it was a bit of a lost opportunity in Odyssey to not have other Mario cast members cropping up in the various worlds as NPCs. When Pauline was revealed I had visions of each world having its own Mario representative that you could interact with, making the odyssey as much about the people Mario met as well as the journey itself. Alas, Nintendo's reluctance to do anything with the extended Mario cast outside of the kart/sports spinoffs put paid to that idea. So I'd like to extend invitations to the likes of Wario, Yoshi, Daisy etc, before we move onto the other Nintendo franchises.
I do agree that the Odyssey format provides a perfect opportunity to reach into the wider DK/Mario -- D'Kario? -- D'Karioverse. It's similar to my take on the Nintendo Kart discourse: There's a lot in the current 'verse that could be delved into, be that characters or places, or even looking at recurring tropes.

And different characters could correlate with lands inspired by different elements of their own games. Wario might have some twisted games factory, for instance (Lest we forget Warioland, Captain Syrup is here for a pirate adventure, perhaps facing off against the Kruel Kremling, and possibly after being helped along by interactions between her Nintendo-Purgatory manifestation and the Captain Rainbow fella). For anyone who's wanted to revisit Sarasaland, why couldn't this be a chance?

Alas, Nintendo's apparent reluctance to do any such thing haunts us all:

Part of why I’m on board with this idea is that Nintendo seems to be explicitly out to avoid doing what y’all are suggesting. It’s a miracle odyssey got new species in the Marioverse at this point.

... Maybe there could even be a papery world. That could be weird.
And Mario could turn into paper!? (Eh, probably not. Too out there)
And interact with a well-realized world and a motley crew of characters.
Also all paper and such.

The thing is, Mario Kart being a crossover makes SENSE, since it's already a series that's there to play off of your nostalgia and fondness for characters/worlds you know from other games.

Giving over a mainline Mario game to just mashing the nostalgia button would be disappointing. I could see, like, one or two callback or crossover worlds being cool (like the SM64 callbacks in SMG2 and SMO) but I don't want it to go too far.

Back
Top Bottom