• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion "Hater" characters in gaming?

GamerTower

The Final Boss Of The Internet
You guys know the "Hater" archetype right? Those characters (Almost always villains) Who's single motivation is "I hate this guy in particular"? Your Reverse Flash if you are into superheros or your DIO's if you are into anime, is a type of character I've seen a fair bit in other media but I couldn't tell you of the top of my head videogame characters who this applies to, so I'm curious if y'all know some or if y'all have some favorites.

Yeah that's the definition of Blue's character in Pokémon games. Following generations had rivals with zero hate in them, they were "nice" people. Blue's sole reason for existence is to annoy you.

The GOAT
Age-of-Calamity-Revali.jpg

A lot of ‘dark mirror’ characters spring to mind. Like Akuma from Street fighter maybe? Or Metal Sonic, or even Wario?

On the heroic side, I’m not sure whether this crosses over with ‘sassy lancer teammates- the trope’, but I always think of Falco with ‘oh swell I’ve been saved by Fox’ and the raw unbridled sarcasm at having avoided a painful explosive death by having your team leader shoot down the enemy that was on your tail. What an asshole. (I still like Falco though).

Vegeta from Dragon Ball Z only hangs around with the Z fighters for a few years just to have another shot at beating Goku on the one day he's allowed to return to the mortal world. Despite his past actions working for Frieza and being "controlled" by Bobbity, Vegeta ends up becoming the best bro.

Gary Oak is the original hater. Love how they straddle the line between him being foppish and giving off sibling rivalry vibes.

Kempf from Fire Emblem Thracia 776 is nothing but hate and jealousy, it's unreal.
His dialogue all revolves around how great he thinks he is, how jealous he is of another famous commander, and his shady underhanded tactics to try and get a head up on the guy.
kempf_conniving_general_info03.png

Jr. Troopa from Paper Mario 64
Metal Face from Xenoblade 1
A bunch of rivals in Pokemon

RPGs work best with having haters, as it makes beating their ass so satisfying.
I was literally in the middle of typing up a post for Metal Face. He's a quintessential hater - he basically springboards the entire plot of the game just out of spite, hatred, and jealousy of one guy.

Seeing the OP, there is one in particular

images

I really hate you Dunban

And yes, while he aims for COMPLETE GLOBAL SATURATION, he really, really hates Chris.

albert-wesker.jpeg

Last edited:
Atrus if you go through the green book to D'ni without the page to the linking book back to Myst trapping you both forever.

Like, relax Atrus. I'll just reload my last save.

Back
Top Bottom