• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Has there been too many RPGs this year?

Steve

Tingle
Pronouns
he/him
Does anyone feel like all the big titles this year has been RPGs.

Like... i have completed 5 RPGs which is unheard of for me, especially since all of them are a solid 30-80 hours long.

Now i have M&L on the horizon... And DQ 3HD Remake.

Other than RPGs, does anyone else also think we're getting too much souls-like games, since most of the prominent games shown at not E3 time, were souls-like, maybe i'm having fatigue, when it comes to that.

this is only a shower of thought, not meant to be taken serious btw.

Last edited:
There can never be too many RPGs. Slight joke aside (or am I...), it's an extremely broad genre that has many different flavors of gameplay.

Less so for Souls-likes where they all copy Dark Souls 3 or Sekiro, down to how you upgrade gear, activate bonfires, and have stamina or posture.

There can always be more RPGs. We had a lot in the first three months, a lot in June, and we’ll have a good few around the holidays. I do think the RPGs are standing out more this year because the quality has been very high and other genres (in the $60-$70 zone) are showing up a tad less than normal which is fine. 2025 is going to be a more balanced year seemingly.

If you are playing indies games, there’s always tons of variety.

There can always be more RPGs. We had a lot in the first three months, a lot in June, and we’ll have a good few around the holidays. I do think the RPGs are standing out more this year because the quality has been very high and other genres are showing up a tad less than normal which is fine. 2025 is going to be a more balanced year seemingly.
I love RPGs, but it's actually so weird having a year only based on RPGs.

It's making me think ,,Wow... Where's the rest of the games''.

I'm hoping next year will be more varied, when it comes to big releases.

Not enough

You-Fat-Pink-Blob-patrick-the-pink-fat-blob-25216793-480-631.jpg

Considering that tons of western studios have set themselves on fire with layoffs and Japanese studios have been making RPGs for four decades now it seems like a very natural result

I somewhat FEEL what you feel, that all the big games this year have been RPGs. I think of games like Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth, FFVII Rebirth, Dragon's Dogma 2, Persona 3 Reload, TTYD, and smaller(?) titles like Unicorn Overlord and SMTV Vengeance. However, I THINK that can't be right, given we've seen Palworld, Helldivers 2, and smaller games like Balatro and Hades II release this year.

As for if there has been too many? No, I'll play the games when I get to them. They aren't going to disappear, and I like the genre.

And as for souls-likes...yeah, there are a lot being pushed right now. Same with roguelikes/roguelites, metroidvanias, and GAAS shooters. There are simply a lot of every major game type right now, and money is pushing the seemingly trendy/popular ones in front of us more than the rest. I just don't pay much attention to the games that don't interest me.

Last edited:
I love RPGs, but it's actually so weird having a year only based on RPGs.

It's making me think ,,Wow... Where's the rest of the games''.

I'm hoping next year will be more varied, when it comes to big releases.
Ah got me right before my edit, definitely look to indie games if you want more variety. There’s been tons of awesome games outside the $60-70 zone of games. I want to give a shoutout to Pepper Grinder, Penny’s Big Breakaway, and Celeste 64 personally in particular. Also for a bigger game that will never get enough love, Under Night In-Birth II is still my favorite Switch game this year.

I somewhat FEEL what you feel, that all the big games this year have been RPGs. I think of games like Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth, FFVII Rebirth, Dragon's Dogma 2, Persona 3 Reload, TTYD, and smaller(?) titles like Unicorn Overlord and SMTV Vengeance. However, I THINK that can't be right, given we've seen Palworld, Helldivers 2, and smaller games like Balatro and Hades II release this year.

As for if there has been too many? No, I'll play the games when I get to them. They aren't going to disappear, and I like the genre.
The indie scene this year has been great, same goes for RPGs.

but it's mostly lingering feeling of ,,Where's the rest of the industry''. Since i personally feel like every year has some great variety, but this year has been weird, for me personally.

maybe it's the affect of having such a great 2023 for games.

other than that, Indies has delivered when it comes to variety.

🌃 Balatro is like the breakout game of the year, and the other biggest game is Helldivers 2. There's been a lot of RPGs, but you just notice games that you want to play. There's been heaps of 3d platformers too but you don't have a thread asking if we're getting too many of those

If you only play AAA games, you're only going to play games that are chasing the latest trends.

Play Animal Well. Play Pacific Drive. Balatro. Lorelei and the Laser Eyes. Talos Principle 2: Road to Elysium. Hades 2. 1000xResist. Alan Wake 2: Night Spring. Botany Manor. Buckshot Roulette. Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania. The Riven remake. Children of the Sun. 14 Minesweeper Variants 2. Hellblade 2. Content Warning. Crow Country.

None of those are RPGs! All of them are quite good.

If you only play AAA games, you're only going to play games that are chasing the latest trends.

Play Animal Well. Play Pacific Drive. Balatro. Lorelei and the Laser Eyes. Talos Principle 2: Road to Elysium. Hades 2. 1000xResist. Alan Wake 2: Night Spring. Botany Manor. Buckshot Roulette. Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania. The Riven remake. Children of the Sun. 14 Minesweeper Variants 2. Hellblade 2. Content Warning. Crow Country.

None of those are RPGs! All of them are quite good.
I'm not only playing AAA titles, i'm some who likes smaller titles and AA games, i'm currently wating for Schim, since that looks like a blast.

I'm only saying too many RPGs, since i feel like that's pretty much been the only big titles in the block. But i'll probably take a break from RPGs, until M&L releases.

But it's a me issue.

Nope, it's even fewer than usual. 2024 is like 4th best JRPG year out of all years Switch's been alive. Even in general, if you add 4 outsider titles (FF7R, P3R, Metaphor, Visions), there still have been better years recently.

there's been a lot else if you're more of a gaming omnivore

even in major Nintendo games

I think the perception has been colored by people kinda... acting like the other games released "don't count," which sucks

like if you're writing off Another Code and Princess Peach Showtime and Endless Ocean — those are all very different gaming experiences

Too many? Never!

But more seriously, both this year AND last year have felt very RPG heavy both from really big releases down to smaller games. I’m definitely not complaining but it has been noticeable.

Most big action games have ‘rpg elements’ these days, on top of RPG being an umbrella term for a number of sub-genres. I mean, outside of swords and hit points, Unicorn Overlord or FF Rebirth don’t have much in common with, say, Eiyuden Chronicle, but all 3 probably pass the ‘I know it when it see it’ test for JRPGs for a lot of people.

As usual the indie scene is where the variety is. I’ve enjoyed Lords of Exile and Death Trick Double Blind this year.

Although Nintendo themselves are usually pretty good at variety. I’ll pick up Zelda later this year too.

Last edited:
actually feeling it a lil bit despite being one of my favourite genres

with Elden Ring and SMTVV simultaneously on my plate now and Trails Through Daybreak in a few days i genuinely don't have the ability to juggle them. one RPG alone already takes me months

Yes and no. There's just as many RPGs in any given year, but this year has been extremely quiet in the gaming space. It doesn't help that two of the Switchs biggest exclusives for this year are Mario RPGs.

Last edited:
🌃 Balatro is like the breakout game of the year, and the other biggest game is Helldivers 2. There's been a lot of RPGs, but you just notice games that you want to play. There's been heaps of 3d platformers too but you don't have a thread asking if we're getting too many of those

Balatro is a card game RPG if we're being genuine, at least raw gameplay-wise. playing hands is the combat and the jokers are leveling up. it actually hit me in a very similar place that most RPGs do for build optimization and such

Yes but it's all good as I like RPGs, a nice chance from GAAS multiplayer stuff that I have zero interest in.
The endless copying of Dark Souls is tiresome also but I'm not so upset, I just started Lies of P and it's excellent, first dev who seemed to really get what's great about the Souls games.

I would disagree, but I'm not big into jRPGs and can see how it might seem so, as a few streamers I follow have expressed some frustration with going from Yakuza into Dragon's Dogma into Final Fantasy, and I think Persona launch was somewhere there too? Even as someone interested in two of those titles I've been feeling a little RPG'd out to the point where I've went and played a bunch of PC Engine games because the thought of a video game lasting more than 10 hours was a bit too much

Yes and no. There's just as many RPGs in any given year, but this year has been extremely quiet in the gaming space. It doesn't help that two of the Switchs biggest exclusives for this year are Mario RPGs.
I think this is a fair point. When was the last quiet year for RPGs? Feels like Switch has always got loads of them every year.

Last year we started off with FE Engage and Octopath 2 in Jan/feb, we also got Sea of Stars, DQ Monsters and Star Ocean 2R at the end of the year. The year before that was Square Enix just spamming rpgs in Q4 after Live A Live and Triangle Strategy earlier in the year, plus Chained Echoes and tons more.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom