• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Has anyone else ever became uninterested in a new game because of constant hype surrounding it?

Magic-Man

Perseus Jackson
Pronouns
He/Him
Before we get started, let me make it clear that I have nothing against hype or people talking about a game. This is just a personal feeling.

As you can probably guess by the timing of this thread, the game is Xenoblade Chronicles 3.

For the past several months (and for the last year really, since it was rumored for a while), a decent chunk of Nintendo talk has been dedicated to XC3. And I get why people are excited for it, I used to be as well. But after a while all the talk started to weigh down on me. Especially after we hit the home stretch after the Xenoblade Direct. I became burnt out. The hype turned into annoyance, waiting for the game to release so we can finally talk about other stuff. Constant hype isn't good for me.

For what it's worth, this isn't the only game that I've felt this way about. Pokemon Sword and Shield, Warioware Get It Together (which I did get later on and loved), Assassins Creed Valhalla (which I bought later and promptly refunded after I learned the audio was shit), and Shin Megami Tensei V are all recent examples of this. And it's not even just the video games themselves. All the Switch Pro talk for all these years has made me not want to talk about it, not get hyped about it. Same thing happened with the Series X/S talk.

I dunno. This is probably going to seem pointless to a lot of you. But does anyone feel the same way I do?

Elden Ring for sure. But I did end up going back to it after the hype died down and loving the game.

To answer question directly, no, not really. If it's a game I'm excited about, then I'm excited, and whether or not there's buzz or zeitgeist about it doesn't really matter to me.

I'm an excited person in general, (Can't really help it!) and often, I'm just off the grid with anticipation for games, so everyone else anticipating a game together is just fun to me.

One thing, though, that might be worth taking into account regarding the topic is that it's all online. It sort of filters through you, and you get the vibes. However, if there's a day where people at work: Xenoblade!, family: Xenoblade?!, people on the bus: XENOBLADE!!!, neighbours: XENOBLAAAAAADE!! .. then maybe the "turn-off" kicks in.

Elden Ring probably.

I was very skeptical of it because I didn't think I would love From Software's Dark Souls 3 open world take. I am not a fan of Dark Souls 3 at all.

I extremely enjoyed Sekiro, Bloodborne and Dark Souls 1. Naturally I was still hyped.
But for every new leak where people said it is the goat I thought to myself "this stuff just looks annoying" and the more hyped the people got the more annoyed I got.

Elden Ring came and went for me and I am glad that I accepted that it isn't for me.

From Software titles that aren't Armored Core.

Almost had this happen with Undertale but the person I was seeing at the time convinced me to give it a go since I love Earthbound. That said, I haven't really had the desire to go back to Deltarune now that the second chapter is out.

The only time this is applicable to me is when I've actually experienced the thing and clearly did not get why people absolutely slurp it. A few games off the top of my head like this are Persona 5 (fine game but the modern Persona I enjoyed the least, for sure not a top 5 jrpg of all time), Zelda Link Between Worlds (fine game but I feel the rental system ruined the dungeon design), and Gone Home (I liked the sister's story, I wish I didn't need to spend 3 hours aimlessly wandering a fake spooky house to do it)

Cyberpunk 2077, I lost any hype on that game even before the whole debacle at launch. At least the hype around Xenoblade or Elden Ring feels/felt much more honest, while the hype for Cyperpunk was built only on the fact that it is by a developer that did like one good story-heavy game and the marketing did fully capitalize on that which got annoying over time.

I can somewhat relate to this feeling and have experienced it in the past but I've gotten pretty good at ignoring it. Once I've reached a "hype threshold" I just disconnect from that part of the discourse and wait until the game is out. It's tiring to feel like you're a part of some marketing effort.

I can somewhat relate to this feeling and have experienced it in the past but I've gotten pretty good at ignoring it. Once I've reached a "hype threshold" I just disconnect from that part of the discourse and wait until the game is out. It's tiring to feel like you're a part of some marketing effort.
It's less feeling like part of a marketing effort and more like feeling sick of the constant presence. I spend a lot of time online. I go to Twitter, there's Xenoblade. Reddit? Xenoblade. YouTube? Xenoblade. Famiboards? There's like four threads on the front page alone and we're talking about it in other threads. I feel like that Plankton meme "ALRIGHT ALRIGHT I GET IT"

I get what you mean, and I think I could have a similar reaction if it wasn't for being mostly interested in games that don't really get a ton of hype in the first place. It's a bit easier to let it wash over you when you're not paying attention to it at all.

I'm happy for other people if they have fun with hype, but to me it always feels like being expected to be constantly "on" about a game when I'm just pretty chill and it'll come out when it comes out and it'll be fun or it won't and I'll get to find out when I find out.

It's less feeling like part of a marketing effort and more like feeling sick of the constant presence. I spend a lot of time online. I go to Twitter, there's Xenoblade. Reddit? Xenoblade. YouTube? Xenoblade. Famiboards? There's like four threads on the front page alone and we're talking about it in other threads. I feel like that Plankton meme "ALRIGHT ALRIGHT I GET IT"

Ah, okay. Yeah no, that I can't relate to lol

not if it's something i'm already interested in no

if it's something i'm not really interested in but am sort of on the fence and maybe could be then sure

Remember that week nobody would shut up about that Ninja Turtles beat-em-up game?

lol nah I don't care either way.

Not me. Personally.

I don’t care seeing folks hype about something or taking non-stop about it. Better to be passionate about something then hating I feel so it’s nice to see folks looking forward to something.

Not me. Personally.

I don’t care seeing folks hype about something or taking non-stop about it. Better to be passionate about something then hating I feel so it’s nice to see folks looking forward to something.
Oh I'm not saying people can't look forward to something or anything like that. It's just the constant talk turns me away. I need hype breaks.

Sometimes.

Elden Ring. And as someone who finds Demons Souls one of the greatest games ever made. The community soured me on the series so much that I have a natural aversion to anything FromSoft these days.

Undertale. Finally gave it a shot two summers ago, stopped, tried to continue last summer, stopped. Finished it last night with my daughter and almost flung my Switch with the backtracking after the final boss.

I still think it's just an okay game lol (did love Deltarune though!)

I can’t really relate tbh. If a game I don’t really care much about is dominating discussion in one place online, I’ve always been able to find plenty of other places to discuss other games and subjects. Subreddits, discords, etc are great places to find discussion on specific topics.

I guess it really depends. As someone who is not that enthusiastic/hardcore about gaming in general, at least not as much as everyone around here, I don't usually notice if something is over-hyped or not. Yes, games like Cyperbunk and Elden Ring were talked about a lot, but unless you're someone who frequents gaming-oriented sites on a daily basis, I think it's hard to get affected negatively by the hype. It's the same for Xenoblade 3, we're all about Nintendo on Famiboards here and X3 is the biggest upcoming Nintendo exclusive this month, so it's natural for us to get excited. That said, I actually think thr hype for X3 here is pretty mild, but I have only been around for awhile.

I liked Elden Ring, it's a good game but it's no where near the reinvention of gaming many people paint it to be. A secret (big) area behind some wall that covered an elevator someone randomly discovered? I mean sure, that's cool but it's not that revolutionary. Not that big of a Souls fan, I like them for sure but it's just open world Dark Souls for me, and really nothing special for me.

There is pretty much zero chance that I ever play Xenoblade 3, but I've enjoyed hearing about it. Do you perhaps feel this way because you'd rather your experience not be preceded by all this?

Thats how I was with persona 5 now that most of the hype has died down somewhat, I will finally give it a shot when it comes Switch

Cyberpunk 2077, I lost any hype on that game even before the whole debacle at launch. At least the hype around Xenoblade or Elden Ring feels/felt much more honest, while the hype for Cyperpunk was built only on the fact that it is by a developer that did like one good story-heavy game and the marketing did fully capitalize on that which got annoying over time.

You seem to be misremembering the bleak reality: the hype around CP2077 was built on the outlandish statements by CDPR, which defined the game as a deep simulation game with next gen systems. Shit, what they were promising had ME hyped, and I’m very lukewarm on the Witcher 3.

I can understand getting tired of hearing about something online everywhere, but I really can't understand becoming uninterested on said thing because of that.

I guess everyone's inner contrarian shows up from time to time.

I can understand getting tired of hearing about something online everywhere, but I really can't understand becoming uninterested on said thing because of that.

I guess everyone's inner contrarian shows up from time to time.
I think it's related (for me at least) to the fact that every time you're trying something that is highly praised all around the community, but doen't really like it, you start to avoid other highly popular games in order not to get burned again.

unironically the answer here is to spend less time online

or, at the least, use curation tools to weed stuff out (mutes on Twitter, not interested/navigating from the subscription page on YouTube, thread ignores on this site, idk about Reddit)

Nope, I love being hyped for stuff and that is solely based on my own feelings rather than what other people are saying. I'm having a hard time imagining suddenly not wanting something because other people are talking about it a lot.

I'm still excited about BOTW2, but i'm tired of this endless hype cycle and asking if the game is going to appear on the next Direct or not. The fact that meanwhile other really good games are releasing makes this wait totally bearable to me. It's a pity that its development was impacted by covid. I just hope it really gets released Spring next year so we can move on.

No. I have been on majority blackout on xb3 for some time now.

I learned my lesson burning myself out on XbX for like, 500 years before the game released.

CP2077, I enjoyed Witcher 3 but I'm one of those weirdos who thinks 1 is the best in the trilogy so I largely ignored cp2077, still haven't played it

The situation with Xenoblade is kind of peculiar. The first one was a pretty important game that was a perfect storm of Internet hype generation. It was Japan only so we needed Operation Rainfall to get it. First the people that played the Japanese release hyped it, then it came to Europe, then finally NA, so every time its player base were basically the most hardcore of hardcore gamers that would give praises to this “exclusive hidden gem that no one else played”. Now the game was indeed a JRPG with a huge scale that came out during a low point for home console JRPGs, while those were cutting a lot of corners and going like “HD towns are hard”, Xenoblade had this very big sense of scale. Now when I played it on Wii U eshop I end up being kinda low on the game since I don’t think it has the combat or gameplay variety to carry such a long game, in fact it’s pretty outclassed by some of the rare JRPGs to have come out on Nintendo consoles since the SNES, including Monolith’s own Baten Kaitos. I was always kind of disappointed that most Nintendo fans on the Internet would prop up the Operation Rainfall games but ignore stuff like the rare Gamecube JRPGs. Anyway, by the time Shulk was in Smash and sequels started releasing, Xenoblade solidified itself as a new first party series, as well as Nintendo’s premier non-Pokemon JRPG. So basically after being told that JRPGs were for depressed gamers that sat on dark rooms to play slow games, they finally had their own JRPG. Therefore, they are basically acting the same as FF fans in the late 90s and early 00s. That’s why you see so many Twitter accounts with “Play Xenoblade” on their bio. It’s also one of the series where fans are insecure about its sales potential so they will gladly advertise the game and say that Nintendo isn’t doing enough. This notably comes from the Operation Rainfall situation, that game wasn’t even planned to release worldwide. Essentially, the combination of these factors explain how the Xenoblade series generates very obnoxious overhyping

Anyway, I think it’s easy to figure out if you would like a game or not before playing it based on what you already like. Videogames are some of the most intuitive media out there, the fanbase needs to be really insufferable to turn you off of a game, especially a single player one

At first I wasn’t really interested in Shovel Knight that much because it was inspired by a bunch of games I already played, I thought the name was lame and I also thought that the fans were insufferable with begging him to make it in Smash. I gave the game a chance when it was on sale and it’s pretty good, just not GOTY

That being said I think a lot of indie games are like that for me, some are probably a decent time at least but they are often associated with some pretty gross overhyping. Those titles for me would be:

Axiom Verge, you had this weird narrative about how the indie guy that left Nintendo published this hidden gem on Sony platforms, it’s apparently better than Super Metroid (doubt). Even after it came out to Nintendo never got around it, I played a lot of Metroid-likes that stood on their own but the aesthetics of that one are just too similar to Metroid

The Messenger, on top of the devs being Jordan Peterson fanboys they retweeted some weird overhyping tweets like “when it turns into a Metroidvania it’s better than Hollow Knight”

Astalon, it had some very random manufactured hype to “prove that it was better value than the full priced Metroid Dread”. To me that looks like just another Metroidvania, apparently it even has performance issues

Unisghted, same as the above except that they were so thirsty to make that comparison that they started considering top down games Metroidvanias when it’s normally not the case as the term is usually reserved for sidescrollers

The Witness - there is no way that this idiot is capable of making a goated game

Uncontrolled hype really made me sour on Twilight Princess. Especially after fandom started to whine at review scores, as if they actually matter. In the end reviewers were right, it wasn't the "THE GAME OF FOREVER" Zelda game they've been dreaming about. Just a nice followup for the Ocarina fans.

Also worth mentioning, TP hype straight up murdered some other games. Elite Beat Agents, released around same time, bombed real bad.

This is a bit different, but when I'm playing a popular game and not enjoying it as much as everyone else, I think the contrast between my feelings and the general hype can make think even less fondly of the game. This has recently happened with the Last of Us 2 and Red Dead Redemption 2, at least.

I've definitely felt "hype fatigue" at times, if not to that degree. I've even had it a bit for XC3 honestly (though not nearly enough to exhaust me on the game itself, still very much excited for that)

But I can definitely see where you're coming from at least

It doesn't stop me from playing the game, but between the continual hype and the multiple delays, by the time each big Zelda comes out I'm at the point of "just fucking release already".

I don't really care for hype, but I also haven't tuned in to gaming news in general in a bit. "Mainstream gaming", fwiw leaves me cold these days and I don't follow games too closely once they're announced.

That said... really didn't care about FF VII R initially because of how it was talked up as being "the true FF Vs XIII". Yes, that was something people said because they were really pissed about Nomura having to give up the Director's chair for FF XV,

I guess it's not really hype so much as it is people constantly asking about it or predicting its appearance/shadow drop at (insert presentation here), but while I'm sure it will be great, I'm already tired of Silksong.

I still irrationally hate minecraft
Ah, Minecraft was the last time I think I truly felt this way. Then I caved back in 1.5 (early or mid 2013) and felt like an absolute idiot for not jumping on sooner lol.

Actually, scratch that. I've felt this with every battle royale game. Trying Fortnite didn't make me feel any different like trying Minecraft did.

Smash? SMASH??? SMAAAAAAAASH!!!!!!!
I like Smash, even love it, but I think I got more enjoyment from the hype cycle this time around than the game itself. Smash felt like a year long event that filled the entirety 2018, and then just kind of kept going for three more years through DLC. Most of my memories are now tied to the marketing and speculation rather than the game itself. So I guess it’s not so much that hype killed my interest in Smash, but that Smash hype has overshadowed Smash itself.

Gotta be Undertale for me. Seeing the nutty amounts of praise for it kept me away a good while. Then I finally played it and…I didn’t think it was worth the praise at all!

This is my relationship with almost every first party Sony game. They announce them too early, show too many story trailers before actually showing the game, and by the time it comes out Sony fanboys convince themselves it's the second coming and I'm sitting there failing to understand why anyone gives a crap.

I would've been way more on board with God of War Ragnarok if it was announced and released all within this year, but now I just feel like I'm over that game already.

I like Smash, even love it, but I think I got more enjoyment from the hype cycle this time around than the game itself. Smash felt like a year long event that filled the entirety 2018, and then just kind of kept going for three more years through DLC. Most of my memories are now tied to the marketing and speculation rather than the game itself. So I guess it’s not so much that hype killed my interest in Smash, but that Smash hype has overshadowed Smash itself.

Incedentally, I find Smash Ultimate's random matchmaking to be the absolute worst multiplayer experience on the Switch. And I'm not even factoring in the network performance issues.

I’ve certainly had hype disconnects where I didn’t see what everyone else saw in something and that created a gulf of some sort, but I can’t think of something I was excited for and then lost interest in because there was excitement around it. Most of the things I love most I wish were way more popular lol.

In regards to Xenoblade I was part of the letter writing fan campaign to bring the first game over. Seeing this series grow in popularity has been awesome and @Magic-Man I really hope you one day give the series a try with iirc that copy of the first game you said you have. Tackle it when you are in the right mood for it. Maybe that’s months or years from now, but it’s a series that’s so passionately loved for a reason and I really think you might be pleasantly surprised.

Back
Top Bottom