• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Retro Happy 15th anniversary, Mirror's Edge!!

Brofield

Magical Famicomrade
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him/His
*Retro games are supposedly designated by being at minimum 15 years old since first release according to Google. Don't shoot the messenger

November 11th, 2008 is when DICE released their highly anticipated Mirror's Edge back on PS3 and 360. So much could be said for its first person parkour gameplay and striking visuals that earned it numerous awards upon release. Replayability was found through time trials trying to leap from the start to the end of the course, and of course an iconic theme song that sounds both timeless and very much a 2008 entry at Eurovision (lovingly)

So, enjoy the musical stylings of Solar Fields, reminisce with some of your favourite screenshots, scenes, story sequences and levels, brag about your best race times and portbeg without shame that one day this might come to a Nintendo console

11192353-mirrors-edge-windows-training-grounds.jpg
856958-941951_20080229_003.jpg
0000006719.jpg
giphy.webp

Love both games (Catalyst is criminally underrated) to death.

Mirror’s Edge is just a tremendous achievement. Not exempt from flaws, but it was the most daring game of 2008. To this day, it’s still so unique.

This is the game I most wanted an Xbox 360 for, but I never got the console. Then when I finally built a gaming PC a few years ago, this was towards the top of my list of games I wanted to play. I listened to "Still Alive" many times and played Catalyst before I played the original game. When I finally got around to playing this game in 2021, I was sad when I thought about what had happened to the franchise and that maybe we'd never see it again. I know an RTX remaster of this game was part of the Nvidia leak, so maybe we'll get that one day as something. More than that, though, I'd just like EA to resurrect this franchise and try again.

It's a masterpiece. Stylistic, atmospheric, with intense moments as well as proper downtime. It's a game I really wanted to see appear on Switch, but it never came to pass, unfortunately.

The reveal trailer was so amazing in its time, and while the game had a rather linear approach, and combat wasn’t that great, the whole concept of it was brilliant.

And loads of credit to Solar Fields who did the music, which to this day is still one of the greatest video game soundtracks of all time. Yes, it’s THAT good. I still listen to it from time to time.

Just the ambient tunes hold up extremely well, and is great even as background music:

I remember playing the demo on my friend's Xbox 360 a bunch that year. One of my favorite demos of all time really, just fun to run through as quick as possible once you learn some of the shortcuts with Faith's parkour abilities.

I didn't get to play the full game until 2009 and then again a couple years later after that. What a banger.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst I did finally play like 7 years ago and it was alright. I didn't hate it like some others around that time but the open world does bog down parts of the game...

Seeing this thread tagged under "retro" makes me feel kinda old lol.

I remember playing the demo on my friend's Xbox 360 a bunch that year. One of my favorite demos of all time really, just fun to run through as quick as possible once you learn some of the shortcuts with Faith's parkour abilities.

I didn't get to play the full game until 2009 and then again a couple years later after that. What a banger.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst I did finally play like 7 years ago and it was alright. I didn't hate it like some others around that time but the open world does bog down parts of the game...

Seeing this thread tagged under "retro" makes me feel kinda old lol.

I realized when I turned 35 a few months ago that I’ve been gaming for 30 years. I was about five when I first played Duck Hunt, Mario, Contra, and Excitebike on NES.

Crazy to think about.

Easily one of the best 3D platformers and clearly one of the best 1st person ones. It was misunderstood at release and the forced gunplay was a shame…I should eventually play Catalyst.

I realized when I turned 35 a few months ago that I’ve been gaming for 30 years. I was about five when I first played Duck Hunt, Mario, Contra, and Excitebike on NES.

Crazy to think about.

Honestly gaming in your 30s is like half "holy crap, I've been playing games for HOW long?!" and "We've come so far that even the HD Twins are retro now" lol.

Easily one of the best 3D platformers and clearly one of the best 1st person ones. It was misunderstood at release and the forced gunplay was a shame…I should eventually play Catalyst.

I'd definitely say Catalyst is worth at least one playthrough, though some parts of it are odd and the open world can bog things down off and on. It had some pretty cool ideas though when it becomes a focused parkour platforming game it shines just like the original imo.

Misunderstood by me like a decade after release too!

My main memory of Mirror's Edge is that it's the only game I've ever played where the levels are not designed like video game levels at all, and it made me feel so very stupid because of it. I think I was stuck for like 10-20 minutes at the exit of the storm drain trying to find a way over the fence.

That game felt so fresh and impressive when it released. It straight up gave you such a rush of adrenaline !

Me and my best friend were fully into the parkour culture as teenagers, even doing some, so obviously when that game released we were hooked.

one of the games that proved "UE3 games don't look the same". turns out it was never a tech issue. who'd a thunk

Honestly gaming in your 30s is like half "holy crap, I've been playing games for HOW long?!" and "We've come so far that even the HD Twins are retro now" lol.

Gaming in your 30s is also where you realize you have to prioritize your time. My wife and I have no kids, but with a house, and careers, we’re not exactly bored, or have loads of free time to spare always There’s always something to do, which for us is great in staying active.

It also means I have less time to game, though I’m trying to make mends with that considering I find gaming more enjoyable than endlessly scrolling on social media. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom