• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion [GVMERS] Lies, Confusion and The Tragedy of Wii U

Like I said, it's a good game, but it doesn't exactly bring anything new to the genre
While the quality of the level design is fundamentally subjective, I struggle to think of another 2D platformer with such dynamic stages other than Sonic Mania (which has a completely different style) and maybe Rayman Legends.

While the quality of the level design is fundamentally subjective, I struggle to think of another 2D platformer with such dynamic stages other than Sonic Mania (which has a completely different style) and maybe Rayman Legends.
While I like both of those games better than Tropical Freeze, but I will not argue that Tropical Freeze is an excellent game.

But Rayman was planned as a Wiiu exclusive first, right?

Meh. The Wii U has the greatest 2d platformer of all time (Tropical Freeze), the two best pure action games of all time (TW101 and Bayonetta 2) arguably the best Kart racer of all time (MK8) and uh, even though I'm not big on it, many people's favorite game of all time in BotW. Just because most played it on Switch doesn't mean it wasn't built as. Wii U game.

I mean, even the launch was a nightmare.

• Mandatory update with a whopping 6 Gb to download -and do NOTHING ELSE -not even play a damn game- meanwhile than stare at a progress bar- on extremely slow servers that were constantly going down and you had to restart from scratch.
This is actually a misconception. The OS update was absolutely not required and you could play your games while it downloaded in the background. I know because I inadvertently did this when I thought my system froze during the update and hard reset it. Scariest launch day experience ever. But when it booted back up my friends and I played NintendoLand for a while and when we were done the update had downloaded and I installed it before bed.

It was, but the WiiU's low sales led the higher ups at Ubisoft to make the game multiplatform after a delay.
I actually remember some of the devs being openly unhappy about this.
Rayman's delay was so goddamn bizarre to me. If they wanted to port it, that's one thing but why delay the ALREADY FINISHED version? It could have released in Feburary with literally no competition at all. Instead it released 2 weeks before goddamn GTA V

It may have very killed the Rayman series itself

Last edited:
The Wii U's failure was due to a mix of issues on all fronts. The poor hardware, uninspiring concept, slow pace of game releases, and bad marketing all came together to form a perfect recipe for disaster.

Legends is one of those games that kinda boggles my mind that it was so well received. Half the game was just recycled levels from Origins, and a big chunk of the new content were those terrible Murphy levels. I prefer Origins in every way.

Back
Top Bottom