• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Guardians of the Galaxy controls/difficulty/accessibility options

tim1138

Cappy
Pronouns
he/him
Square has released the controls, difficulty, and accessibility options for Guardians of the Galaxy ahead of next week's release.

Controls
Gamepad:
Guardians Mode Input Type - Hold/Press
Star-Lord's Abilities Input Type - Hold/Press
Vibration – On/Off
Invert X/Y Axis (Default + Spaceship) – On/Off
Invert Stick (Spaceship) – On/Off
X/Y Axis Sensitivity – Sliders
Mouse and Keyboard:
Key Bindings
Double Press Directional Keys to Dash – On/Off
Invert Mouse X/Y (Default + Spaceship) – On/Off
Mouse X/Y Sensitivity – Slide

Audio
Volume Adjustments (Master, Sound Effects, Voice, Music) – Sliders
Licensed Audio– On/Off. This option removes all copyrighted musical contents and replaces it with alternatives in some instances.
Customizable Speaker Configuration – allows players to select the best-suited profile of audio configuration for their needs.
Mono Speaker Configuration – allows players to have all audio directed towards a single channel.
Loud Volume– Slider. Adjust the highest playback level of the loudest sounds to help minimize sudden peaks in soundscape.
EQ Presets – This feature aims to support players that desire to adjust specific frequencies. For example, players that suffer from tinnitus or that are sensitive to specific sounds can lower the presence of these problematic frequencies by selecting a fitting profile.
Focus Mix – On/Off. Allows players to experience the game with a stronger emphasis placed on the narrative and gameplay related elements of the soundscape.

Languages:
Subtitles – On/Off
Overheard Subtitles – On/Off
Closed Captions – On/Off
Show Character Name – On/Off
Subtitle Size – Very Small to Very Large
Letter Spacing – Slider
Force Bold Text – On/Off
Enable Background – On/Off
Invert Background Color – On/Off
Background Opacity – Slider

Difficulty Settings
On top of the usual presets, we've made it possible for players to independently adjust many sub-options for difficulty.

Easy – You got this
Intended – You got this, probably
Hard – You don't got this
Custom – I do it my way

Sub-categories of difficulty settings

Guardians Mode Slowdown – Slider. This value represents how much time is slowed down when you are in Guardians mode. The higher the value, the greater the slow down. 1 represents a complete pause, while 0 is no slow down at all.
Damage Dealt – Very Low to Very High. The higher this setting, the more damage Star-Lord deals to enemies.
Guardians Cooldown Duration – Slider. This multiplier affects the cooldown on each Guardian's abilities. Increasing this value will give more weight to your decisions and demand more planning on your part.
Huddle Auto-Win – On/Off. If this setting is turned on, you will not be presented with a choice wheel during the Huddle sequences, and the correct answer will be automatically selected.
Cost of Elemental Shots – Slider. This multiplier affects how much Elemental Ammo an Elemental Shot costs. Increasing this value will make your Elemental Shots more valuable and require more planning on your part.
Damage Received – Very Low to Very High. The higher this setting, the more damage Star-Lord and the Guardians receive from enemies.
Shield Regeneration – Very Low to Very High. This setting determines how long after taking damage Star-Lord's shield will begin to regenerate, as well as the rate of regeneration, and the extent of damage taken, while the shield is depleted.
Death Event Timer – Easy to Hardcore. The amount of time an ally is in danger before they become overwhelmed.
Vulnerability Timer – Slider. The length of time that an enemy retains the vulnerabilities applied by abilities.
Death Gate – Very Easy to Very Hard. The number of times a player needs to be hit before dying after reaching 0 HP, as well as the length of time a player is in danger before they recover.
Objects Outline – On/Off. If this setting is turned Off, the white outline around objects interactable by the Guardians is turned off. More observation will be required, and a regular use of your visor to identify opportunities for interactions.
Compass System – On/Off. If this setting is turned off, the Compass system normally shown in the visor will be disabled. Less indications on your next destination will require more exploration.
Hints System – Instant to None. The Hints system delivers hints when it detects you have been stuck on a step for too long. The lower the setting, the more rapidly hints will be delivered. The system can also be turned off entirely.

Accessibility Menu
Target Lock Options:
Disable Target Lock Break – On/Off
Target Lock Break Delay – Slider
Aiming Lock Break Stick Deadzone – Slider
Enable Lock Target Switching – On/Off
Elemental Lock Situation – Always to Never
Initial Target Lock Range – Slider
Automatic Target Lock range – On/Off
Auto Lock on Next Target – On/Off

Target Switching Options:
Target Switching Initial Delay – Slider
Target Switching Repeat Delay – Slider
Target Switching Stick Deadzone – Slider

Other Options:
Auto-Win Quick Time Events – On/Off
Objective Log Display Timer – Slider
Exploration Dot – On/Off
Exploration Dot Transparency – Slider

Oh wow, they really went all out with these options. I believe the game is built using the foundation engine correct? So this level of granularity could make it into the next Tomb Raider. I always liked that SoTR had the different options for combat, exploration and puzzle solving but this is kind of incredible, and honestly where I wish the majority of big publisher gaming was at right now.

I wonder if the extra effort is an acknowledgment or requirement because of the potential larger than normal spread of players from the marvel effect, or if it's a publisher wide initiative?

I'm very excited for this game. Each new trailer or reveal has shown me something else I really dig.

Oh wow, they really went all out with these options. I believe the game is built using the foundation engine correct? So this level of granularity could make it into the next Tomb Raider. I always liked that SoTR had the different options for combat, exploration and puzzle solving but this is kind of incredible, and honestly where I wish the majority of big publisher gaming was at right now.

I wonder if the extra effort is an acknowledgment or requirement because of the potential larger than normal spread of players from the marvel effect, or if it's a publisher wide initiative?

Considering Avengers had none of these options, I'm going to guess it's a pub/developer thing. Like you said, this is very similar to what they were doing in Tomb Raider as well.

Honestly this is what the industry as a whole should aspire to.

Really cool to see more and more games implement robust accessibility options like this!

Back
Top Bottom