• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Great Games With Horrible Names

Keep it sweet and simple. No context. No arguments.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Controversial take….but your right.

My choice is for one of my favorite games ever made….

Super mario 3d world. The name 3d land made sense on 3ds, it absolutley doesnt make sense for the wii u game, out side of the game literally being 3d in the sense that you weren't restricted to a 2d plane

Last edited:
Cadence of Hyrule: Crypt of the NecroDancer Featuring The Legend of Zelda.

there lots of games now with one word titles that are a normal word that all blend together. huge problem with indie games in particular. I'm sure some of them are good but I wouldn't know because the name is so bad

Controversial take….but your right.

My choice is for one of my favorite games ever made….

Super mario 3d world. The name 3d land made sense on 3ds, it absolutley doesnt make sense for the wii u game, out side of the game literally being 3d in the sense that you weren't restricted to a 2d plane
I’m guessing 3D Land and 3D World are references to Super Mario Land on the Game Boy and Super Mario World on the home console. Similarly 3D Land was on a handheld, and 3D World was on a home console.

Any JRPG that makes no sense. The kingdom hearts ones with random numbers are one thing, but then you get ‘Infinite undiscovery’. What does it even mean, this infinite thing that wasn’t discovered, or was discovered and then un-discovered. It’s just nonsense. Also ‘Exist Archive’, and ‘Dissidia 012 [Duodecim] Final Fantasy.’

In another category, I’d put stuff like Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Which is the worst blend of AAA game naming from a decade ago, which loved ‘game name: generic vaguely-important-sounding subtitle’. Rising, Reckoning, Awakening, Revelations and Chronicles were probably some of the more common ones (and Ubisoft was still on this train fairly recently with the instantly-forgettable ‘Immortals: Fenix Rising’) but ‘revengeance’ aims for original but lands on edgy nonsense at the same time. Still, given the game itself, it’s kinda fitting really.

Hearing the name spoken aloud, I always think “who is Liza P and what does she have to do with Pinnochio?”
This is like how I can’t help but hear “Deus Ex” as “Day o’ Sex”

Anyway my pick is, oops, the whole Yakuza franchise. Most of the time you’re playing it you’re not even a member of the Yakuza!

Horizon: Zero Dawn and Horizon: Forbidden West.

The first one sounds like the most generic possible combination of words they could have thrown together (just missing an Origins or Revelations there, tbh), and the second one has problematic connotations in and of itself on top of the generic name for the series.

I don't like the Horizon games myself, but it is clear they are high quality products, apparently that quality is not reflected in their names though.

Like, think of it from a branding or SEO perspective. Why in the world would you go for a word as generic and commonplace as "Horizon" as the brand for your big new IP? It's an SEO disaster, "Horizon" as a word is not only extremely common in everyday language, it is also extremely commonly used in branding for tech and media (within video games alone, Microsoft has put out five Forza Horizon games, Nintendo's last Animal Crossing game was "New Horizons", and at the very least the latter of those has sold more than every Horizon game put together by itself). It's just a bad idea to go with something so generic for your brand, every time the average layperson looks up Horizon on Google, they don't find your game, and if they just look up "Horizon game" to try and compensate, you risk losing them to a search result that pushes them towards competing products (that based on current sales/player counts, are far more broadly appealing than your own). Why would you do that? Who made that call?

Like I thought Killzone was a bad name that felt way too try hard (I know the military meaning they were trying to evoke, it still comes off as a bad name), but at least it was original. Horizon is the most banal shit to name your exciting new IP. Like, fuck, what's next? A new IP by Sony called, I don't know, "Sunrise"?

Last edited:
How has nobody said

TRIANGLE STRATEGY
Much like Octopath, it's a name that sort of settles in and start to make sense and "belong" to its game the more time you spend with it (and the game). I do think it is undeniably a worse name than Octopath, and bordering on being incoherent and gibberish, but it's not quite there yet; it sort of makes sense for what it is.

I have a second submission for this thread: Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, I mean what the fuck, at least try

Because that would be considered a bannable offense.

On a more serious note, a personal grievance of mine are prequel games that are not properly designated as such. DMC3 being a prequel to the original comes to mind.
DMC3, MGS3, Zelda 3 (okay, I am being cute with this one lol, and the western name does make up for it!)

How has nobody sai. Mayb

TRIANGLE STRATEGY
I will unironically stan for Octopath Traveler's title but yeah there's no defending this. Maybe Asano should skip the "working title" part of the process at this point. Now, my entry is absolutely not a good game but I feel it's an honorable mention for just how stupid it is - Metroid: Other M... MOM for short. What a cursed existence that game leads.

Doom (2016) and Hitman (2016) just using the series name for their titles will always bug me, even if they were supposed to be reboots (or a soft reboot in Hitman's case.)

Doom (2016) and Hitman (2016) just using the series name for their titles will always bug me, even if they were supposed to be reboots (or a soft reboot in Hitman's case.)
There's also God of War (2018), Prey (2017), Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019), Need for Speed (2015), Super Smash Bros. (2014).

It's so dumb.

I always thought Demon's Souls was clunky as hell. Demon Souls would have gotten the point across just as well.

Octopath Traveler!

Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3

Player Unknown’s Battlegrounds

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS

…and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U! Boo! Hiss!

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe

Sorry, just realized we're supposed to be talking about great games

Affordable Space Adventures

It's 20$ for a Wii U exclusive digital only indie game that never goes on sale! Sure it's "affordable" compared to an actual space adventure, but compared to similar games that regularly go on Steam sales it's not.

I actually like Octopath Traveler, but, yeah, Triangle Strategy is not a good name.

My choice would be Immortals Fenyx Rising, though. I don't even know how to make sense of it.

Affordable Space Adventures

It's 20$ for a Wii U exclusive digital only indie game that never goes on sale! Sure it's "affordable" compared to an actual space adventure, but compared to similar games that regularly go on Steam sales it's not.
Gonna have to change their name to "Unobtainable Space Adventure" soon.

Much like Octopath, it's a name that sort of settles in and start to make sense and "belong" to its game the more time you spend with it (and the game). I do think it is undeniably a worse name than Octopath, and bordering on being incoherent and gibberish, but it's not quite there yet; it sort of makes sense for what it is.

I have a second submission for this thread: Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, I mean what the fuck, at least try
I used to hate the names but then I found out it was intentionally a dumb joke on “4”

and I just think that’s the stupidest, funniest shit and actually respect them more for doing something that goofy

StreetPass Mii Plaza’s Find Mii. Not just because it’d make more sense if it was called something like Save Mii or Rescue Mii, but also because Find Mii is already the name of a totally unrelated game in Wii Play. How did Nintendo not catch that?? The European title (which is a direct translation of the Japanese title) StreetPass Quest is better.

I used to hate the names but then I found out it was intentionally a dumb joke on “4”

and I just think that’s the stupidest, funniest shit and actually respect them more for doing something that goofy
No, I have heard that, but that doesn't make it better, that makes it even worse!

The joke was not worth the crime in this case 😭

Back
Top Bottom