• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Grasshopper Manufacture (No More Heroes, killer7.) has had discussions on making a potential project with Marvel.

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They
(Tagging this as a rumour as it doesn't sound like it's gotten any further than just discussions yet.)
20220119-188886-header-1068x601.jpg

Buried in an interview posted alongside some job applications.

(original)

まずはオリジナルのIPの創出ですね。これまでは自分たちのIPではなく、パブリッシャーさんがIPを保持した上で予算を出してもらい僕らが受託として作る、という形が多かったです。独立系のスタジオだと、どうしてもこういったケースが多いんです。これからはそうではなく、ちゃんと自分たちのIPとして1本ずつ作品を立ち上げていって、新しいIPを3つ作っていきたいなと思っています。

ただ、魅力的な原作モノのIPがあれば、そちらも作りたいということも公言しています。そこはマーベル・スタジオさんとの話し合い次第(*3)かなと思っています。マーベル・スタジオさんが良い物を出して来てくれたら、うちもちょっと考えてみようかなと。すいません、すげえ上から目線で言いました(笑)それは冗談として、マーベルさんとは何度かミーティングしたこともあり、「いつか何か一緒に作れたらいいですね」という話はしています。そうした可能性もビデオゲームの力で盛り上げていけたらなと思っています。ただ基本的には、GhMのオリジナルIP作品をどんどん作っていきます。
(Deepl Translation)

Suda: The first step is to create original IP. Up until now, we've often worked on projects where the publisher holds the IP and then gives us the budget to create it on commission. For independent studios, this is often the case. From now on, we would like to create three new IPs by launching them one by one as our own IPs.

However, if there are attractive 3rd-party IPs, we would like to create them as well. I think that will depend on the discussions with Marvel Studios. If Marvel Studios comes up with something good, we'll think about it. (laughs) Just kidding, we have had several meetings with Marvel, and we've talked about the possibility of working together on something someday. I'm hoping that we can use the power of video games to boost such possibilities. Basically, however, we will continue to create GhM's original IP works.
Yes, the article does specifically say Marvel Studios (マーベル・スタジオ). Though i'm not sure if Suda would be up for directing a proper MCU film.

Suda specifically mentioned during the launch-day stream for No More Heroes 3 that he still wanted to work with them someday, which is almost certainly why these discussions are happening.
in terms of the kind of things I’d love to do, I’d also love to work with Marvel on a Shatterstar or Deadpool game, something sort of Grasshopper-y like that. Maybe a Quicksilver title of some sorts. So, Marvel, you know.

In fact. Activision had pitched getting him to work on a Deadpool game around the time the original No More Heroes was released, though they instead gave the project to High Moon Studios after those talks didn't go anywhere.

It's also important to note that Gōichi Suda has previously worked with one of the MCU directors before, collaborating with Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn on Lollipop Chainsaw.
My understanding is that the two are still close friends, which would explain how Marvel was able to get in contact with him so quickly.

Suda has influenced filmmakers so doesn't surprise me to be honest. Now whether it's like all the other Marvel games coming out nowadays or not is the question. Hopefully he takes a weird Marvel property over the conventional choices.

It'll be interesting to see how the focus on building up a portfolio of Grasshopper's own IP continues, same as with watching Platinum's current goal of building its own library as its own publisher. I can only wish them the best.

One such point of interest is what jobs they might take outside those goals. They're no longer strictly mercenary, but there might still need to be a balance to ensure ongoing profit as growth continues.

And then there are still the projects they'd jump on regardless of their overall intent for the future. Suda has expressed interest, after all, in developing a new entry of 謎の村雨城, Nazo no Murasame Jō, to which he even has personal ties, and I suspect he would still accept such a commission if it were offered:
Suda said:
There's actually a game I've thought about before that if I could make any Nintendo IP in the way I wanted, it's called Nazo no Murasame Jō (The Mysterious Murasame Castle).This was a game from Human, the company I first started out at before Grasshopper. I've always kind of had a soft spot for this game and always felt like I'd love to go back and revisit it.

And Marvel seems definitely up his alley, where a lot of his general sensibilities might make sense. Further, it would be a good property for getting eyes on Grasshopper -- at least for those who look into who made a game -- and break more into the mainstream.

This sort of statement and revelation actually kind of makes sense. Regardless of whether anything comes from these talks, it'll be interesting to see where Suda and Grasshopper go from here.

an unexpected twist
well, the rumours are suggesting they did get a project using an IP under the Disney conglomerate, but it's certainly not Marvel.
Sources, who have provided documents and information under the condition of anonymity have shown that a new AAA Alien game is in development with a tentative holiday 2023 release.

UPDATE – Sources have said that Grasshopper Manufacturer will be developing the project.
i'm curious how on earth those conversations ended up getting here, with the team working on a 20th Century Fox IP instead.

Back
Top Bottom