• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Google is shutting down Stadia on January 2023, refunds available.

• Thread starter Deleted member 1108
  • Start date
If you have an archnemesis in this world, just ask Phil Harrison to associate with them and they are sure to fail.

I’d say how shocked I am but everyone else already made that joke. Stadia really did feel like an inevitable failure right from minute 1.

This reminds me once again that I love Google, but I also hate them.

I wish they would be more like Apple and just put out products or services and stick to them.

Pichai has to go.

lol Phil Harrison strikes again.

PS3, Xbox One and now Stadia.........wonder where he'll go next

Harsh. Didn’t he play a role in the launch of PS1 and PS2? He was apparently a key driver behind the marketing campaigns which spring-boarded the Playstation brand to great success. The Xbox One’s problems were more linked to Mattrick and his vision as well.

I used a free trial to give Stadia a try once. I remember the actual streaming tech being pretty good, but it just felt nuts to me that it wasn’t a subscription service. Buying stream-only versions of games a la carte for full price is terrible. It’s nice they’re giving everyone their money back at least, but yeah. Just never felt like there was much of a vision at work

The service was actually quality but they didn't live up to early marketing hype and tried to charge for games in a world where gamers were getting them included in other subs.. they did fix that a bit but too little too late.

An interesting question for folk on this board will be if they now segue in to offering streaming services to other providers. There's a pretty big platform holder this board likes that doesn't have their own solution yet 🤔

vuxll0pqkjn21.png

Indeed Google, indeed.

The service was actually quality but they didn't live up to early marketing hype and tried to charge for games in a world where gamers were getting them included in other subs.. they did fix that a bit but too little too late.

An interesting question for folk on this board will be if they now segue in to offering streaming services to other providers. There's a pretty big platform holder this board likes that doesn't have their own solution yet 🤔
Time for Segia! /s

Harsh. Didn’t he play a role in the launch of PS1 and PS2? He was apparently a key driver behind the marketing campaigns which spring-boarded the Playstation brand to great success. The Xbox One’s problems were more linked to Mattrick and his vision as well.
Peter principle. A skilled person gets promoted to a position they don't have the skill for, and that makes them look incompetent, but they're just in the wrong position.

Every generation they tell us the time of the "traditional box under the TV" is almost over, and every generation consoles grow, while other options fail.

All of these companies have been looking at streaming for a decade now, and the big fish have mostly tied their hands at it. If none of Google, Amazon, Playstation or Xbox can get any significant traction, what's the point?

I tried Stadia a few times, the controls were okay, as long as you don't play fast games, but the image quality fluctuated strongly. Sometimes okay but sometimes very blocky artifacts, even at its best it was never impressive. It just felt inferior even to the Switch ports of those games, because on Switch the graphics quality does not fluctuate so much, so the weaker graphics did not suddenly stand out.

I tried other streaming services, Stadia was the best, but not really good.

I never understood how this could work from a monetary standpoint. At the most frequent gaming hours you must have basically a PC or at least an PC instance for every user, unless you reduce image quality (what they probably did).

All this constant "lol stadia sucks" shitposting is kind of ignoring the fact there's still five unique games that are exclusive to the service, which will all be lost once it's shut down if we don't encourage the devs to port them elsewhere.
  • Hello Engineer
  • PixelJunk Raiders
  • Outcasters
  • PAC-MAN Mega Tunnel Battle
  • GYLT
Some of the other big exclusives, such as Orcs Must Die 3 and Submerged: Hidden Depths. have thankfully already been rescued. but the end goal should be ensuring everything is saved.
There's also the unique DLC for Final Fantasy XV, it's not particularly great. but it should still be saved.

Finally, the prototypes that were accidentally released and are now permanently lost should be mentioned. Bloodstained had it's Journey crossover DLC leaked exactly a year prior to release thanks to an accidental update on the service. for example.
I wonder if the person setting this up knew and everyone approving of this display was just neck-deep in their SV hype sludge and didn't realize.
They got the Video Game History Foundation to do it, for some reason. it was an unusual experience for them.

Frank is currently doing a charity auction for some of the items displayed there, in case you want them.

That's got to be one of the most spectacular fails in the industry history. Imagine not only having to shut down your business, but also returning all of the little revenue you had oof

That's gotta delay a possible transition to streaming only in at least 10 years.

Everyone in big tech wanted to be involved in game streaming before it was truly viable, so they could claim first mover advantage on the hardware-less future of gaming that could cut out working with the big players like SIE, Microsoft, Nintendo, Valve and (most recently) Epic.

What Google got was first-mover advantage into irrelevance in the non-mobile gaming space. And I'm not even sad about it. Stadia is like the Apple Pippin for a new generation of gamers.

Back
Top Bottom