• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Gex Trilogy announced for Switch, Playstation, Xbox, and PC

images

I'd be happy if it wasn't for Limited Run Games..

But it's weird that Square owns Gex still! After selling Crystal Dynamics/Eidos to Embracer..

They saw more value in keeping Gex than Tomb Raider!

But it's weird that Square owns Gex still! After selling Crystal Dynamics/Eidos to Embracer..

Square knows there's a lot of money to made when they release the inevitable Gex gacha game.

Yeah, seeing Square Enix at the end threw me for a loop lol.

People were getting excited for MGS collection or whatever, now this is what I'm talking about

I'm out of the loop. Does "surfs onto Carbon Engine" mean they're ground-up remakes? And is there a date or a release window?

I'm out of the loop. Does "surfs onto Carbon Engine" mean they're ground-up remakes? And is there a date or a release window?
My understanding is "Carbon Engine" is essentially just their in-house launcher or front-end for emulated games. The Shantae GBC rerelease and River City Girls Zero both used it. IIRC Modern Vintage Gamer worked on it.

It's mostly just a marketing/branding term, I think. Not to discredit the work they're actually doing, but it certainly sounds more impressive for them to talk about how they've built this "super-cool proprietary engine that streamlines rereleasing legacy content, all for the sake of authenticity and preservation" instead of "yeah, we built an emulator and a front-end and put some ROMs in it".

I haven’t been this intrigued since I was at that tupperware party at Leonard Nemoy’s house

It’s so wild to me that Crystal Dynamics/Eidos cast Playboy Playmate Mariliece Andrada in the damsel in distress role and never acknowledged what clownfuck lunacy pairing a CG gecko and a regular human is. The ending strongly implied that Gex and Agent Xtra ignore a global threat so they can fuck. Like no one during development said, “Maybe we shouldn’t.” The 90s were truly a different time.

I kept expecting a twist where Agent Xtra was the true villain or even not real/a trap set to trick Gex. Nope. I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised. Half the “humor” is Gex making weird, gross passes at her. 🤦‍♀️

With Arzette: The Jewel of Faramore revisiting the 90s in an interesting way, I’d love for someone to try the concept of Gex 3 again (i.e real human dropped into a digital world), but you know, not make it so embarrassing. At least we have the aforementioned Gex parody/animation from FlippinDingDong:

It’s so wild to me that Crystal Dynamics/Eidos cast Playboy Playmate Mariliece Andrada in the damsel in distress role and never acknowledged what clownfuck lunacy pairing a CG gecko and a regular human is. The ending strongly implied that Gex and Agent Xtra ignore a global threat so they can fuck. Like no one during development said, “Maybe we shouldn’t.” The 90s were truly a different time.

I kept expecting a twist where Agent Xtra was the true villain or even not real/a trap set to trick Gex. Nope. I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised. Half the “humor” is Gex making weird, gross passes at her. 🤦‍♀️

With Arzette: The Jewel of Faramore revisiting the 90s in an interesting way, I’d love for someone to try the concept of Gex 3 again (i.e real human dropped into a digital world), but you know, not make it so embarrassing. At least we have the aforementioned Gex parody/animation from FlippinDingDong:

It wasn't that long ago that Roger Rabbit was a huge film influence for meta cartoon humor.

Wonder if they are using the N64 or PS1 versions?
Probably PS1. The page on Limited Run's website about their "carbon engine" doesn't say anything about N64 support but does list PS1 as "coming soon"

Square also stil have Pandemonium 1 and 2 would not surprise me as one of the next carbon engine games

Hbomberguy was right. What happen to Deus Ex, impacts Gex.

I realy hope this does NOT uses the same engine used to emulate the Jim Powers games because its frontend is one of the sluggiest crap ever.

these mfs greenlit Balan when they could have spent that money on a new Gex. I can't ping them for good ideas at the moments
table-hit-yakuza.gif

At least they're undoing their wrongs with this;

Who knows.. Bubsy got his new game funded by SNES ROMs on Steam; this should get some gears turning at Square!

I'd also accept Gex as an Assist Trophy in the next Smash, while we are on it!

The thought of SquareEnix selling all their highly acclaimed western franchises for some pocket change but shortly before that looking at that weird green lizard thing sitting in a broom closet and saying "nah, you stay with us!" is deeply amusing to me.

The thought of SquareEnix selling all their highly acclaimed western franchises for some pocket change but shortly before that looking at that weird green lizard thing sitting in a broom closet and saying "nah, you stay with us!" is deeply amusing to me.
nah, it was totally this

5f8.gif

Another interesting thing, Crystal Dynamics' other series, Pandemonium, is also still owned by Square-Enix:

I'm guessing Pandemonium 1-2 will be the next collection after Gex. Kinda funny that CD couldn't get two of the series they crated but got the one they actually did not.

Back
Top Bottom