• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Games that need a fashion mode ASAP

Irene

#TheProcessPrevails
Pronouns
She/Her
If you're unfamiliar with the concept, the idea of a game having a "fashion mode" is that you have two separate options for gear and customization: You choose what gear you need in terms of boons, buffs and stats, and what gear you will have in terms of pure looks. The idea is that sometimes, you might want to have a certain look in games, and want to retain that look instead of having to change it to something you find less appealing, just because the optimal stats require it.

Tears of the Kingdom - or Breath of the Wild, for that matter - desperately needs/needed a fashion mode. The Archaic set and both Champion Tunic sets all look incredibly rad, too rad to be switched into something else, no matter the improved stats. Sure, I really like having "climbing speed up", but I am definitely not saving Hyrule wearing that bandana.

I'm getting tired of the switching, dang it. In Tears of the Kingdom, I always want to wear the Archaic set wherever I go. I LOVE rocking that toga and flashing the sweet tats. I have to shoot to the sky in Hebra or Lanayru Mountain, though? Sigh. Time to switch to the Rito set, and if I realize that I need to be somewhere else, back to the Archaic set, like, 2 minutes later. Approaching powerful enemies? Into attack boost armor I go, and then back. And so on. And don't get me started on caves in Death Mountain. With that outfit?

Anyone feel similar, or have another game with slick-looking outfits with bad stats and significant less slick-locking gear with better stats that screams "fashion mode, please"?

Definitely thought that it would be cool to have a feature like that, perhaps even as a quest reward. There’s already side quests entwined with fashion in the game, might as well make the most of them.

In Tears of the Kingdom I literally only used armor I thought looked good. The Frostbite shirt was cute! Didn't care that other armor had "better stats", that's not what's important. What's important is giving Link something that looks nice!

This would have been a nice feature, though. I think Xenoblade X did something like this and I really appreciated it.

I feel like this should just be a common thing across most games, especially RPGs. There's been some deeply hideous bullshit I've had to wear just for the stats, or some other benefit they happen to provide. To quote something my friend said just a couple days ago: "I'm so sick of wearing this poopy fedora for infinite ammo"

Just wanna say I played all of Twilight Princess with the Zora Armor and didn't learn until after I beat the game that it makes you weak to ice

I was wondering why I died so much in the ice dungeon

I’m 50/50 on sometimes sticking with fashion no matter what and wearing the best armor for the situation in games. My Link was regularly a fashion disaster in Tears of the Kingdom because clothing stats and abilities were too useful to ignore. My “favorite” outfit for the depths was often Midna’s Helmet and the Miner’s outfit with all of the light bulbs lol. It was a shame in Tears especially since some of the cool armor couldn’t even be upgraded. Agree with both games needing fashion gear slots.

Two recent games that I believe lacked a fashion mode that I would have liked were the original Dragon Quest XI (not sure about the S version) and Bloodstained (at least when I played it).

Anytime I think about this topic in general, I always think of the ProZD video haha.

In Tears of the Kingdom I literally only used armor I thought looked good. The Frostbite shirt was cute! Didn't care that other armor had "better stats", that's not what's important. What's important is giving Link something that looks nice!

This would have been a nice feature, though. I think Xenoblade X did something like this and I really appreciated it.
Xenoblade X did have this, and they added in the same feature to Xenoblade DE (it wasn't in the original version and you can have some pretty famously hideous looks in cutscenes as a result). It's such a nice feature.

I really think that every game that has your armor/outfit/weapons/etc. change based on what you have equipped should have a 'fashion' slot. It not only lets you change what your party looks like to your liking, but it also makes finding additional armor pieces a bit sweeter since it then gives you more options for appearance customization. It's just a win-win all around.

The first game I played that had a fashion mode as a part of it was...actually Miitopia. And I really liked it there, especially in conjunction with the Amiibo gear. I could get simply ridiculous gear for my squad, but I could make them fit their vibe. If I ever play the Switch version, I'm looking forward to taking more advantage of it!

Any game where your armor changes your look and stats should have a separate fashion equip option.

In games like Breath of the Wild, allowing the player to pre-set like three or four custom outfits would have gone a long way. I generally wore the same two outfits most of the game.

I also advocate a “Wear entire set” option for when I simply need to wear the Climbing Gear for 30 seconds for the bonuses.

I think literally every game which has outfits with different aesthetics and stats should have this option. BOTW/TOTK are very good examples

The number of people I've seen playing online reach important cutscenes and realize too late that Link is still wearing a goofy-ass mask is extremely high, lol

Most of the examples I want are from non-Nintendo games, like From Software's games. Nintendo is pretty good about that now, with Zelda being the only big exception.

Back
Top Bottom