• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Retro GameCube games on Wii via Component, or GameCube via Composite?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1676
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1676

Hey guys!

So, I know this may sound silly, but I’ve been trying to decide on what way to best enjoy my GameCube library.

I have a GameCube console with composite cables, and truthfully, there’s just no denying that GameCube games look all the sharper and prettier through component. The Wii is backwards compatible, and I did some testing back and forth with pretty fun results.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-KXImw7j9sVwyXqd.jpg

Left is GameCube (composite), right is Wii (component)

Now, obviously there’s no doubt it looks better on Wii. This would make my choice obvious, right?

But here’s the thing…it’s a little something I call: the GameCube Experience.

That tactical feel of the consoles top loading door shutting, pressing that huge chunky circle button to power it on and be greeted to such an iconic boot up screen, and with no disc in, an ambient space pod, essentially.

You just jump straight into your games. No need for Wii Remotes, aiming it at the screen each and every time to go back to the GameCube Channel if you either Reset or swap out for a different game. GameCube is just so fast and the experience is nice. Then there’s the GameBoy Player. Not to mention I also feel my Cube makes less noise than my Wii. (The Wii can be a tad noisy, no?)

Overall, I know the answer is as simple as: well duh, play it where it looks better - OR - cough up $80+ for an HDMI tap-in or official discontinued component cables - but I am talking merely as someone with these two options at there disposal: what means more to you? A bit of a sharper image? Or the “GameCube experience?”

I compromise and use S-Video on GameCube. Someday I'll get an Insurrection or similar component cable but S-Video is more than good enough for me for now.

If you're using an HD TV the boost in image clarity is absolutely worth the tradeoff. Composite is garbage in anything that's not a CRT.

I would just buy a new HDMI or component solution if playing on an actual GameCube is that important. Or keep a classic controller connected to avoid IR use.

Yeah I'd go with the Gamecube just because needing to go through the Wii OS with a Wii Remote and their AA batteries always annoys me.
Gosh, right?! As much as I also love the Wii, it just makes for a slower time when I want some quick Cube goodness.

I compromise and use S-Video on GameCube. Someday I'll get an Insurrection or similar component cable but S-Video is more than good enough for me for now.
Ooh! I didn’t even consider S Video! I think My Life In Gaming had a video on that once - and if I remember correctly, yeah, S Video didn’t look that dramatically compromised from the component route. Do you recommend a specific S Video cable, such as a Nintendo OEM version? Or are they all kind of built the same?

Gosh, right?! As much as I also love the Wii, it just makes for a slower time when I want some quick Cube goodness.

Ooh! I didn’t even consider S Video! I think My Life In Gaming had a video on that once - and if I remember correctly, yeah, S Video didn’t look that dramatically compromised from the component route. Do you recommend a specific S Video cable, such as a Nintendo OEM version? Or are they all kind of built the same?
Any quality shielded cable will be fine - I bought mine from an eBay seller who makes them several years ago. Do not get the Tomee ones or any with a composite video attached, those are awful.

If you are using a modern day flat panel, I'll echo TheDok and say just get the Carby, it's worth it. Since I use a consumer grade CRT TV for retro gaming, S-Video is typically fine for me.

I would go with the Wii an YPbPr.
No way in hell would I use Composite.
But if you can use a good cable with RGB or YPbPr signal then I would use the cube. And there are options:

I think using a Wii is fine, and component is obviously way better. You can use homebrew to boot straight to the game. Alternatively if you really don't want to move your hand but don't want to install homebrew, you can use a classic controller to navigate the Wii Menu without any pointing (no idea why they made this an option for the CC, but not the Gamecube controller). You get over the lack of toploader and whatnot with a Gamecube pretty quickly.

This isn't even really a contest, of course you should use the Wii with Component. The image quality will be leaps & bounds better than via Composite.

This isn't even really a contest, of course you should use the Wii with Component. The image quality will be leaps & bounds better than via Composite.
Actually, if you genuinely want the best image, you go with GameCube over component. The video output is generally better on the GameCube. It's just really expensive to do it.

Component every time. The clarity of the GameCube display signal is lost over Composite.

If you can, use a GameCube DigitalAV Out HDMI adapter such as the Retro-bit Prism.

If you have money, get a Carby or another GCVideo based adapter and play your Gamecube with a glorious digital signal.

Nothing agaisnt Wii on Component, but its signal is slightly dirtier than GC digital (component or otherwise)

You can also get a S-Video or RGB cable. It won't be as good, but it will be way better than composite.

Thank you all for the replies! I actually completely forgot that you can keep a Classic Controller hooked in and can navigate the Wii Menu that way. It’s not that I dislike the motion of Wii, it just is kind of a struggle when you have to back up, get the controller in range of the bar, etc. Nothing too “end of the world-y” but just wanna make it easier on myself.

So, the Wii it is! (For now, until maybe one day I can fork out the monies for GCN Adapter or something haha)

Much as a proponent I am of the "Gamecube Experience", might as well make the most of what you got, you know? The Wii's signal may be a downgrade from the Gamecube's but for the cost of investment involved I can't really see it being worthwhile.

It sucks because I actually have a Sony Trinitron CRT in great working condition, sitting in storage for when I can finally set it up with my DOL-001 'cube, but it seems my only options are either finding the HDMI adapter to slap on that badboy, or sticking with composite cables because I'll be damned if I'm paying more than $80 for component cables (and I can't seem to find anyone doing repros). Going from HDMI to Component just seems like a route that's begging for additional lag but also just kind of overly complex and insulting to the entire process

Component over composite, Wii's inferior output be damned, it'll still be king over composite for sure.

Back
Top Bottom