• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Retro Game Boy Music Appreciation Thread

BombChorizo

Moblin
Game Boy music holds a special place in my heart. Something about the specific hardware sounds so pleasing to me. There are many terrible grating GB soundtracks but when done right, it was magical.

I'm especially fond of nostalgic and sentimental town themes on the Game Boy. These are my favorites.

Share some great GB songs!!

I’m replaying OOS on the Analogue Pocket right now. This song was such a banger, I completely forgot about it until I got to the dungeon last week.

This one's amazing too

Yeah this soundtrack is awesome! The title theme is so creepy and sets the tone of the game from the opening chimes. Loved it!

I’m replaying OOS on the Analogue Pocket right now. This song was such a banger, I completely forgot about it until I got to the dungeon last week.

I also recently replayed the Oracle games. They're full of cool songs that have been forgotten over the years. And the games must look amazing on the Analogue Pocket!

The gameboy has one of my favorite sound fonts, it's just so clean. Every later version of this song just sounds too muddled or busy in comparison.

The gameboy has one of my favorite sound fonts, it's just so clean. Every later version of this song just sounds too muddled or busy in comparison.

The Red/Blue soundtracks are so simple but so effective. Basically the whole soundtrack is a nostalgia trip for me, and it doesn't hit the same when the specific tones are upgraded on better hardware.

I also recently replayed the Oracle games. They're full of cool songs that have been forgotten over the years. And the games must look amazing on the Analogue Pocket!

I hope the rumors of the remakes in 2023 turn out to be true, being able to play almost every Zelda game on the Switch would be amazing.

APocket experience has been so amazing, I almost feel like I don’t deserve one because the only physical games I have are the Zelda games :( waiting on that jailbreak..

Damn, I came here to post this exact track lol. Masuda's work on the Game Boy is fantastic and I don't think any of the remixes of this song have captured the intensity of the original. Go Ichinose's work on GSC is also excellent:

I'll stop myself as I could post the whole OST if I wanted to, but those were the first 3 to come to mind. Loved HGSS including GB remixes as an option.

Link's Awakening is a masterpiece and I can't believe they fit all of that on a Gameboy game. I think it's superior to A Link to the Past in everyway. Especially the story.

Donkey Kong Land also has a pretty underrated soundtrack, by Graeme Norgate who also worked on the OST for Blast Corps and Goldeneye.

There's a few remixes of Wise's music but other than that it's all original score.

Reminder that this game about a piece of candy has one of the best final level themes ever made.

European Game Boy developers in general were on a whole different level back then.

This thread will probably be dominated by the Pokémon games (rightfully so), but the spin offs also had banger soundtracks that less people talk about. Seriously, TCG and Pinball have incredible music, and so does Puzzle Challenge (although that one is mostly remixes, but they're great remixes).

Btw, the pinball theme I posted is actually a remix of the japanese opening for the anime. My mind was blown when I watched the Japanese version years ago and listened to the song for the first time.

No mention of the fantastic Tetris tunes yet?

I also found F1 Race, Balloon Kid, Doctor Mario and the Super Marioland games to have great, catchy music.

Since my Pokemon picks have already been taken haha I'll go with this from Batman on the Gameboy.
One of those games that has a surprisingly good soundtrack imo.

Oh wow, this is incredible. Hard to believe it was made on a 30 year old handheld device.

I hope the rumors of the remakes in 2023 turn out to be true, being able to play almost every Zelda game on the Switch would be amazing.

I remember hearing online chatter about this, but I assumed it was pure fan speculation. Is there anything substantial? Is 2023 the assumption because BOTW2 is this year? And I'm curious if this did happen if they would be in the Link's Awakening remake style. Since I spent a lot of time re-playing both a few months ago, I'm not sure I'd be ready to play a straight graphical remake soon.

This thread will probably be dominated by the Pokémon games (rightfully so), but the spin offs also had banger soundtracks that less people talk about. Seriously, TCG and Pinball have incredible music, and so does Puzzle Challenge (although that one is mostly remixes, but they're great remixes).

Pokemon TCG is an amazing game in general. And the sequel (only released in Japan) is even better. I'd love to see an official TCG on Switch, but I worry it would be too complicated and DLC heavy for me. I really enjoy the simplicity of the Game Boy TCGs.

The Duel theme is fantastic, which is good because you'll hear it A LOT.

Pop Up/Cool Ball

It’s a minuscule (32 KB), simple game with one music track, and that track is so good.

Final Fantasy Legend / SaGa title music uses the Game Boy sounds to best haunting effect.

Back
Top Bottom