• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Retro Four decades of being a Sega fan

NeoZeedeater

Tektite
WARNING - another long self-indulgent thread approaching.
It's a companion thread to the Nintendo one:

I couldn't tell you the exact month or anything but it was around 40 years ago that I became a Sega fan. Even at a young age, I was a weird kid that paid attention to company names on arcade cabinets. I was a huge fan of Frogger, and I think that's where I first noticed the Sega logo. Frogger was developed by Konami but it was Sega that distributed the game in the West.

Soon after that was Zaxxon which drew me in. When you're used to shooters like Namco's Galaga and Taito's Space Invaders, having a scrolling game with a 3/4 isometric view and elevation changes like Zaxxon stands out.
zaxxon.gif

Congo Bongo was one of my favourite arcade games even though I thought it was kind of a fancy rip off of Donkey Kong at the time. It was interesting learning decades later that it was co-developed by Ikegami Tsushinki, the company Nintendo hired to help create Donkey Kong.

I had forgotten SubRoc 3-D's name for years but the impact this arcade game had on me didn't go away. This periscope shooter was in stereoscopic 3d along with smooth scaling sprites, making it one of the most high-tech games of the early '80s.

While I had Carnival for Intellivision and Car Chase for VIC-20 (a clone of Sega/Gremlin's Head On), it was on the Commodore 64 that I delved into more ports of Sega games at home. I still have my totally legit C64 backups of Congo Bongo, Star Trek, Zaxxon, Out Run, Up'n Down, Quartet, Wonder Boy, and Power Drift seen here:
IMG-20211114-124615575.jpg

Up-n-Down.jpg

When I got Out Run on C64, I blew my TV's speakers out blasting the music. I never bought an Emerson product again.

The second half of the '80s seemed to really establish Sega as the leader in arcade technology with souped up cabinets for games like the Hang On series, Space Harrier, After Burner, Out Run, and Galaxy Force. And these weren't just showpieces for graphic detail. They nailed every aspect of game design: stunning art direction, memorable soundtracks, responsive controls, etc. combined with speed and intensity. Go buy this stuff on 3DS, Switch, etc. if you haven't already. These games are still awesome!
1223249015.jpg

9Uvl1Wj.jpg

C5nBokh.gif

It was probably in late 1986 when I saw the new Sega system (back before anyone really called it the Sega Master System) on display at Compucentre, a store that always had several monitors on with various games. The graphics were very colourful and detailed, moreso than anything else on console. Even in the launch era, it seemed like something futuristic and special. And like with Nintendo, I was fascinated with the light gun. The pack-in games Hang On and Safari Hunt got a lot of playtime.
Hang-On-Safari-Hunt-title.png

Like I mentioned in the Nintendo thread, my household ended up with both Nintendo and Sega thanks to my sister being lured in by Mario and my parents having some more money that year. I'm really glad I didn't miss out on the Master System like many people in my region did as it had some of the best games of its generation.

Despite the weak market share of the SMS, I had a good sized network of gamers for borrowing and trading games for it as well as rental access. And the largest mall near me (Metrotown in Burnaby, a suburb of Vancouver) had a handful of places to buy SMS games: Sears, Toy City, Real Canadian Superstore, Compucentre, and some other stores I forget the names of. Across the border in the US, places like Fred Meyer and Babbages carried games for it.

I met my best friend in grade 7 in 1987 on a school skiing trip and the first time I went to his place, he showed me his Sega collection with games like Astro Warrior, After Burner, Marksman/Trap Shooting, Space Harrier, Action Fighter, and Ghostbusters. Rambo stood out because we played the two-player co-op mode. We have been playing multiplayer games together ever since. He also won a Sega Master System in our school's raffle that year which he exchanged to get more games. All I won in the raffle was a mini screwdriver set.

One of my younger cousins was also a Sega owner. Babysitting him and his sister was the best gig ever as I was basically getting paid to play video games with them. We played a lot of co-op Fantasy Zone: The Maze which was a Pac-Man-like spin off of the shooter series.
Fantasy-Zone-The-Maze-title.png

In one of many trades, I ended up getting the Segascope 3D glasses along with Maze Hunter 3D and Space Harrier 3D (I missed out on the best playing 3d glasses game, Missile Defense 3D). Even non-gamers were impressed with the 3d effect and colours despite the constant flickering.
800px-Sms-3d-glasses.jpg

Shinobi is special to me for a few reasons. Upon its release, it really stood above other ninja games on the home market with a larger variety of bosses, locations, and moves. And even though it was graphically downgraded from the arcade version, Sega re-designed the game in many ways to suit the console hardware adding in a health meter, new power-ups, and several magic abilities.
Shinobi-SMS-title.png

Also, when my grandma was visiting, she asked to try it. I thought she was just being polite and pretending to take an interest in my hobby until I went to her place and she had bought a Sega and Shinobi for herself. She was also a fan of Rastan and Gangster Town. I thought it was awesome as most people of my parents' generation didn't play video games. The odds of a posh sounding Englishwoman who lived through WW2 being interested in Shinobi and Sega seemed near impossible. My other grandparents wouldn't touch this medium.

With the arrival of Miracle Warriors and Phantasy Star in English in 1988, the SMS quickly became the system to own for JRPGs in the West. I rented the pair within a week of each other and was fascinated by both of them. Phantasy Star was easily the superior one and I was in awe of its smooth 3d dungeons, Star Wars-esque sci-fi/fantasy theme mixing, and overall ambition. The nearly $100 CAD price tag was brutal but I ended up buying that rental copy for much cheaper. Having a female lead character was also very cool at the time, too. Sega did that on SMS previously with Quartet but Phantasy Star was the system's flagship title and its most critically acclaimed game at that point.
Phantasy-Star-SMS-Title-Screen.png

On my 14th birthday, the Berlin Wall was being torn down but I was busy going to the mall to buy Rastan, a port of one of my favourite arcade games at the time. It wasn't available so I looked at screenshots on the back of SMS boxes to find something similar. The samurai slasher Kenseiden caught my eye. It felt a little risky buying it since I never saw any magazine reviews of it but it was well worth it. It somewhat resembled Konami's Castlevania with its deliberately stiff movements and horror atmosphere but it had plenty of its own style. Its character upgrades and optional areas to explore offered more depth than most action games of the era.
Kenseiden-title.png

The SMS had quite a few other franchises I loved that have become forgotten. Penguin Land was a puzzle-platformer with physics ahead of its time and a neat level editor I spent many hours with. Zillion was an anime styled action-adventure inspired by Epyx's Impossible Mission. Global Defense was like a super detailed scrolling Missile Command. Kung Fu Kid was a short but sweet platformer that introduced me to wall jumping in games.

I remember some debates in the 8-bit era about who was considered Sega's mascot. With Nintendo, it was obvious by this point it was Mario. With Sega, it wasn't so clear cut pre-Sonic. The company didn't really promote Alex Kidd over Wonder Boy or vice versa (Alex Kidd in Miracle World wasn't a pack-in title in NA until 1990 as far as I know). And one could argue a case for Opa Opa from Fantasy Zone as it had cameos in other Sega games.

I think most will agree that Wonder Boy was more consistently good than Alex Kidd. Miracle World and Shinobi World were well received Alex Kidd games while Lost Stars and High-Tech World, not so much. All three SMS Wonder Boy games in the '80s were generally praised. I still consider Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap the pinnacle of 8-bit platform-adventures.
Wonderboyiii-title.png

Late 1989/early 1990 was the launch window of the Sega Genesis. Not every new game was a winner but I was very impressed with what I saw of games like Sega's port of Capcom's Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Mystic Defender, Rambo III, etc. Even Altered Beast wasn't the butt of jokes back then; it was quite the visual showpiece for the system.

Revenge of Shinobi was the exclusive that mattered most to me in Genesis' first year. How did this Yuzo Koshiro guy master the sound chip already?
Revenge-Of-Shinobi-title.png

Sega's publishing of Thunder Force II also marked Technosoft's debut in the West, a name I quickly took notice of. Sega buying Technosoft years later felt like a natural fit. That was another great thing about Sega: their partnerships via converting or publishing other developers' games was very strong and helped give more niche Japanese companies worldwide exposure. Sega versions of games like Golvellius, Power Strike, Ys, and Time Soldiers made me take notice of Compile, Falcom, and Alpha Denshi.
Golvellius-title.png

I got my Genesis in July 1990 around the time one of my friends got a TurboGrafx-16. We both started buying and renting niche games from a local store called Encore Video Games.

Encore was awesome because it carried Japanese Mega Drive games. Not only did these import games usually come out earlier but they had superior box art and, for some reason, they sold them new for $60 CAD, around $10 less than domestic Genesis versions. Some of the earliest first-party MD games I bought were Strider, Shadow Dancer, Castle of Illusion, ESWAT, and Super League. It cost me $30 to modify my Genesis cartridge slot to play Japanese games. Had I know they were just filing down a small bit of plastic, I would have done it myself.
800px-Strider-MD-JP-Box.jpg

800px-Shadow-Dancer-MD-JP-Box.jpg

800px-Castle-of-Illusion-MD-JP-Box.jpg

800px-Eswat-md-jp-cover.jpg

800px-Super-League-MD-JP-Box.jpg

Golden Axe was the biggest multiplayer game for me in the early part of the 16-bit era for co-op and versus. It was a notable step up from other home beat 'em ups, and not just visually. They did a stellar job on the timing of the weapon collisions and the deep thuds of the sound effects to make the attacks feel so satisfying.

Here are some scans from a PC Engine magazine I still have over 30 years later. What stood out the most for me in this issue was the Sega arcade section as it showed a giant holographic-looking shooting game. It made me want to visit Japan even more than before. This was a bit before my school offered Japanese classes so I couldn't read the katakana yet but it says Cyber Dome Super Shooting System.
IMG-20211114-131017571.jpg

IMG-20211114-131146759.jpg

I also had imported issues of the UK magazine Sega Power. Chapters bookstore carried it in Canada. While some of the fanboy-ish Nintendo bashing in it was eye rolling, Sega Power gave a good glimpse of what PAL-exclusive games I was being deprived of in the early '90s.
large-2055053097-Sega-Power-Issue20-July1991-jpg-18e1bbf15660362608e33a11cc130a88.jpg

My anticipation for Sonic 1 on Genesis was huge. I lived for mascot platformers like Mario and Bonk, and since Sonic had been development for years, I was hoping for something special. It lived up to the hype and then some, quickly becoming my favourite game so far. The graphics looked incredible in motion, and rolling ball physics of whizzing through tunnels and loops was quite novel. It was the most impressed I had been with the genre since Super Mario Bros. five years earlier.

I was an early adopter of a Game Gear in 1991 (I already had a Game Boy and was still waiting on a price drop for the Lynx). I was just about to buy the SMS version of Sonic when I noticed Sega advertising that you could get a free copy of GG Sonic if you sent in the bar code from the Game Gear box. I was worried I bought my system too early to qualify, and I didn't know if Sega of America would exclude Canada for the promotion, but Sonic soon arrived in the mail.
Sonic1-GGCover-Art.jpg

to be continued in my next post

Game Gear remains an underrated format for games to this day. Japanese-made strategy RPGs and rogue-likes were rare in the West but games like Crystal Warriors and Dragon Crystal helped fill the void. I also bought the Master Gear Converter to play SMS games on the go.
crystalwarriors2-jpg-103c8229789a37c6f092c56c3d62cc91.jpg

The exclusive Shinobi games were the highlight of its line up for me, and for my cousin as he would frequently borrow them from me. What I loved about these games is that they didn't just downport Genesis Shinobi or re-release Master System games. These new games took some influence from Capcom's Mega Man series with non-linear design and unlocking new ninjas with different abilities to use. There was nothing comparable on competing handhelds.
GGShinobi-II-GG.png

In early 1992, I was at home recovering from surgery and played through a rental copy of Wonder Boy in Monster World and loved it (it was also the same day I bought my Super Nintendo). It baffled me how Sega didn't even really advertise such an important title. The atmosphere of the game really stuck with me, especially the haunting music of the underwater area:

November 24, 1992 was Sonic 2sday, the launch day of Sonic 2 on Genesis. It was exciting because it finally felt like Sega had hit mainstream success on my continent. I always wanted to see Sega share in the type of large audience Nintendo had.

1993 continued the first-party Genesis hits. Neither myself nor my parents were able to find Streets of Rage II for Christmas '92 but I got it early in '93.
Sor2-title.png

Shinobi III expanded upon Revenge of Shinobi with added variety: horse riding, surfing, dashing, etc.

I also bought Ranger-X and the newly released 6-button controller. Why hasn't Sega re-released it? I know it was developed by Gau/Nextech but I don't think they have any ownership of it.

Gunstar Heroes put Treasure on the map for me and provided Sega with a Contra-quality run 'n gun.
Gunstar-Heroes-Genesis.png

It was around this time that I went searching for the Sonic arcade game. I had seen magazine screenshots, and someone told me it was at a nearby arcade. I think it was called Lazer Illusions. When I got there, Sonic was nowhere to be found but they did have Sega's R-360 (a 360 degree rotating cabinet you sat inside of) and I remember video footage with Michael Jackson giving flight training. As the years went by, I couldn't even find evidence of its existence or any tie-in to R-360 machines. I think the R-360 unit I came across had G-LOC for the game but Scramble Training on a separate monitor.

I'm thankful I got to experience major moments in the history of fighting video games. I was there for Data East's Karate Champ, System 3's World Karate Championship, and Capcom's Street Fighter II. Sega's arcade game Virtua Fighter was the next big step in their evolution. The realistic fluidity of movement was unlike anything else in the genre before it. The polygon graphics had some resemblance to a PC boxing game I played called 4D Sports Boxing but that was much more clunky and slow.

VF also brings back memories of staying up late, sneaking in alcohol into arcades, and playing it and Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder multiplayer with friends.
virtuafighter-intro-animation2.gif

A friend sold me his model 1 Sega CD in 1994 as he wanted money towards getting a 3DO system. One weird quirk of the machine I got is that it wouldn't run games made by American Laser Games for some reason. Still, it was cheaper than buying a unit elsewhere and I could live without Mad Dog McCree. I quite enjoyed buying and renting Sega CD games but I think many of the best ones were third-party.

Sonic CD was the standout game by Sega itself. I appreciated how its art direction was closer to Sonic 1 than 2 except much more psychedelic. Gamefan magazine bashed the soundtrack of the North American version but with no access to the Japanese original, I was quite pleased with what we got domestically. The "Sonic Boom" intro is pretty iconic. The exploratory design and time travel mechanics made the game feel fresh. It was kind of weird seeing so much hate for the game years later as it was pretty much universally loved among the Sonic fans that played it back then.

Sega of America's Spencer Nilsen was in charge of Sonic CD's NA soundtrack. Let's bask in some of his other excellent productions on Sega CD:

Batman Returns

Ecco the Dolphin

As for the 32X add-on around this time, I always thought it was a horrible idea to release it but I still think it had some quality games. In the name of saving space, I will skip over it but here's a gif from Tempo.
Tempo-Sprite-Dance.gif

RPGs like Game Arts' Lunar: The Silver Star on Sega CD and Square's Final Fantasy III on SNES really upped the production values for the genre. Sega showed they could still hang with the best with Phantasy Star IV which returned to a setting more like SMS game except with PC Engine CD-style cinemas.
unnamed.gif

The Saturn's surprise launch in NA was an odd one. I didn't have money to buy it then anyway but it was exciting playing the demo units at Electronics Boutique and Microplay, and playing it at a friend's house. Early ports of games like Virtua Fighter and Daytona may have been far from perfect but coming from playing 3DO and Jaguar games, the Saturn felt like the proper beginning of a new console generation.

Panzer Dragoon was particularly impressive. Its surreal alien landscapes and lock-on shooting shared some DNA with Galaxy Force but this was a fully polygonal game at home with an orchestral soundtrack back when that wasn't a common thing.
ezgif-com-optimize-1.gif

Anticipating a Saturn price slash in the near future, I opted to get a Playstation first but I did get a Saturn for Christmas 1996. It remains one of my favourite holiday memories. Both my cousin and I got the bundle with Virtua Fighter 2, Daytona USA, Virtua Cop + gun, and Sega Rally. What an incredible package with some of the best games on the market.
7042-front.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

Turkey dinner and VF2 matches made for a memorable night. I also got NiGHTS into Dreams and an issue of Next Gen magazine with Christmas NiGHTS.
gfikXpb.gif

The Saturn era also coincided with the rise of the emulation scene on PC and the internet becoming mainstream. This was a big era of discovery for me. Learning that Sega had a console before the Master System was mindblowing. I had seen the SG-1000 name in books before but I had assumed it was another name for Japanese Master System/Mark III. It wasn't until I tried roms with the year '1984' on them, that I clued in. And thanks to ebay, I was able to buy so much obscure Sega stuff I didn't have access to before such as the Mark III's paddle controller and games.

That Saturn Sega Ages compilation with After Burner, Space Harrier, and Out Run was amazing. This was before emulators like Final Burn existed. I remember putting the disc in my CD player and making a mixed tape including Out Run music for a road trip with a friend. He wasn't really playing video games anymore at the time but he found it pretty nostalgic to drive to. Who can resist Magical Sound Shower?
360px-Sega-Ages-Saturn-US-Box-Front.jpg

Compared to the Genesis and even the Master System, there were less options for me in terms of renting and borrowing Saturn games. But at least there were some options. I did have that cousin to borrow games like Fighters Megamix and Dragon Force from.
hornet-fighters-megamix-animation.gif

And I rented and bought Saturn games from Microplay such as Lunacy, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Guardian Heroes, Astal, and Clockwork Knight 2.
204392-guardian-heroes-sega-saturn-screenshot-the-grave-yard-area.png

Electronics Boutique was my main source for the really limited stuff like Panzer Dragoon Saga and Burning Rangers as well as some Japanese imports.The Saturn excelled in many areas but Panzer Dragoon Saga remains the game with the largest impact on me rivaling epic Playstation RPGs like Xenogears, Final Fantasy VII, and Suikoden II.
216824-panzer-dragoon-saga-sega-saturn-front-cover.jpg

I wish I could remember the name of an import store that existed in my area in the late '90s/early '00s. If anyone knows what it was called, that would be cool. It was at Metrotown in Burnaby and might have had "Star" in the name. That's where I first saw the Dreamcast in person.
sonic-adventure-sonic.gif

I didn't get a chance to buy a domestic DC on 9/9/99 but I did buy it the next day with no customer line ups.The DC may not have lived as long as some other Sega consoles but its first couple years were pretty stacked. Crazy Taxi captured all the style and intensity of the arcade version. Space Channel 5 and Samba de Amigo innovated in the music games department. Rez was like a modern take on Tron visuals and old school arcade rail shooters but enhanced with rhythmic audio. I never did get to try the trance vibrator peripheral for it, though.
Crazy-Taxi-cover.png

Jet Grind Radio remains one of my top action games to this day.
giphy.gif

I enjoyed playing Dreamcast action games like Outtrigger and Alien Front Online but Phantasy Star Online was easily my favourite of Sega's online multi-player games. Back on the angry message boards of twenty years ago, I recall some PC-centric gamers dismissing it as a Diablo rip-off but I didn't think that was a fair assessment. Yuji Naka did mention Diablo's influence on it but its 3d environments and classic Phantasy Star elements made it stand out. I'm glad I bought PSO day one because a month later the game was infested by fucking hackers that ruined the experience.

Here's my PSO character from January 2001 (sorry it's so blurry; I couldn't find my Dreamcast VGA adapter and all I have is a dying Commodore monitor at the moment for composite). I never played as a female character ever again online. I don't need my avatar getting hit on all the time.
IMG-20211114-145206780-BURST000-COVER-TOP.jpg

Shenmue was one of my most anticipated games ever and I bought the NA version day one, just before my 25th birthday. I didn't know what to expect. Magazine interviews kind of misled me to think it was going to be a very open-ended game and possibly a new genre entirely. It turned out to be a fairly linear game in the existing graphic adventure genre but that didn't matter. It was such a fresh and ambitious take on it. The attention to detail was insane. It's one of very few games where my memories of it feel almost like a real place.
shen.png

I had a brief glimpse of the Japanese DC version of Shenmue II at that import store and bought the PAL version in early 2002 when EB got it in. For some reason my VGA adapter didn't work with it but other than that, it was everything I wanted in a sequel with more locations and considerable story advancement.
shenmue-2-eur-1.jpg

I'm going to stop this post with the Dreamcast but please discuss any Sega stuff you want beyond that as well and share your memories.

Love Nintendo but have to admit back in the day sega had way more variety of games, from fighting, beat em up, racing, sims, shoot em ups ets. They were absolutely killing it back then

I always wonder what a new current gen sega system would be like if they still made consoles

Would it be even stronger than the ps5 and Xbox? Would it have innovation that Nintendo didn’t think of?

One area where Genesis/Megadrive really excelled was the "action" genre.

It's impressive how many good action games were on that system.

Ranger X
Alien Soldier
Strider
Alien Storm
Trouble Shooter
Rolling Thunder 2 + 3
Comix Zone
Streets of Rage 1, 2, 3
Golden Axe 1,2, 3
M.U.S.H.A
Contra Hard Corps
Shinobi III
Mega Turrican
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist
The Adventures of Batman and Robin
X-Men and X-Men 2
Splatterhouse 2 and 3
Vectorman 1 + 2

I think that it's great that SEGA, despite having a console to sell at that time, still produced PC ports of their more popular titles like Sonic 3 & Knuckles, which might be something you don't see Nintendo do, which meant more exposure to their variety of titles. The Garfield game produced by SEGA is really great, and the Sonic & Garfield pack is a huge highlight (partly because the two icons look great next to each other):

228160-339178.jpg

Since you covered Nintendo and SEGA so far, will Namco be in the cards?

Thank you for reading.

SEGA are so influential.

I feel so lucky that I got to experience their glory days. On console but also especially via the arcades. I can not describe how mind-blowing first encountering a Virtua Fighter cabinet was while on vacation.

Younger people will find that ridiculous I'm sure, just look at it lol, but man that was wild coming from 2D fighters as the bog standard.

Dreamcast also just came in so strong, with such a unique and compelling branding and software lineup. It was too late it turns out, but what if it had taken off? I do wonder just how different things might be.

I think that it's great that SEGA, despite having a console to sell at that time, still produced PC ports of their more popular titles like Sonic 3 & Knuckles, which might be something you don't see Nintendo do, which meant more exposure to their variety of titles. The Garfield game produced by SEGA is really great, and the Sonic & Garfield pack is a huge highlight (partly because the two icons look great next to each other):

228160-339178.jpg

Since you covered Nintendo and SEGA so far, will Namco be in the cards?

Thank you for reading.
Maybe I will do Namco or other companies in the future but these took longer than I expected so I'm going to take a break on making huge threads for a while.

One area where Genesis/Megadrive really excelled was the "action" genre.

It's impressive how many good action games were on that system.

Ranger X
Alien Soldier
Strider
Alien Storm
Trouble Shooter
Rolling Thunder 2 + 3
Comix Zone
Streets of Rage 1, 2, 3
Golden Axe 1,2, 3
M.U.S.H.A
Contra Hard Corps
Shinobi III
Mega Turrican
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist
The Adventures of Batman and Robin
X-Men and X-Men 2
Splatterhouse 2 and 3
Vectorman 1 + 2
And yet, Castlevania: Bloodlines constantly gets forgotten and probably didn't do well

😣

Fantastic posts, a lot of it reminds me of myself, even down to Congo Bongo and Zaxxon. I LOVED to death Zaxxon’s port on Colecovision, that my best friends/neighbour had, and later on C64’s port of Congo Bongo. I was a Commodore kid (Vic-20, C-64 and then Amiga, before adding a Mega Drice to the latter) although OUT Run on C-64 was the first big regret ever as far as vg purchases which ironically was also one of my first ever legit-software buys instead of pirate/newsagent’s compilation cassettes that made 99% of my cassettes (and later diskettes) collection. US GOLD port of OutRun was nightmare-inducing, a piece of shit and there I learned my lesson to NEVER buy a game without informing myself before, hype got me good there… and the port would get lambasted on next month’s magazines. I’m kinda envious you were able to enjoy that pos, I remember being sooooo disappointed and feeling soooooo bad having wasted my allowance on it! My first Sega Console, and second console ever (first was a Philips Videopac g7000/Magnavox Odyssey2), was a Mega Drive at PAL launch and one of my games was, ugh, Last Battle (which was a mediocre rebranded Hokuto No Ken game). Still played the shit out it because Kenshiro was the best thing ever for a kid my age at the time) and SEGA always had, and has to this day, a strong tie with HNK. I knew from magazines that I could just cut the added plastic on the slot to play japanese ganes, and Truxton was my first import ever, while Thunderforce III for Genesis was my first imported US game ever.
Mega Drive, especially the japanese library and amazing boxarts, are tied with Super Famicom as my favorite console ever (nobody cares, but 2nd is Gamecube and third is probably the Switch).

I, like a lot of people my age as well as those a bit bit younger, fell in love with Sega games through their presence on Nintendo platforms. First through the Sonic Adventure, Super Monkey Ball, and eventually PSO games on the Gamecube, and then later through the Genesis releases on the Wii Virtual Console like Gunstar Heroes and the Streets of Rage trilogy. I only really remember the tail end of their time as a console manufacturer with the demise of the DreamCast, and the fallout from that (my cousin was a big fan, and he insisted that the PS2's power was marketing bullshit, and that the DreamCast was actually the more capable console).

They really bring something special to the industry though. They're probably the publisher I think of the most when I think of "arcade" style gameplay. Even something as cinematic and narrative driven as the Yakuza franchise feels as though it'd be right at home in an arcade when it cuts to the primary gameplay bits.

Outside of Sonic, I was never too into Sega's classic catalog. I grew up on Nintendo games and when I go back to play classic Genesis games I think they're mostly fine but they don't particularly excite me. But once Sonic's games came to Nintendo consoles and I got sucked in it became one of my favorite series, Adventure 2: Battle being my gateway drug as it was for many others.

I appreciate Sega from a historical standpoint and find a lot of the stories behind their stuff at the time fascinating, but I've never been able to tap into that diehard Sega fandom a lot of people seem to have.

Great thread. Speaking of SEGA's legacy - I just picked up the SEGA AGES release of G-Loc: Air Battle on Switch in the current sale. I remember seeing the cab in action back in the early 90s and there was always a big queue for it so never got to try it. Now's finally my chance a good three decades later haha.

Sega is special. I love Sega.

More people should have played Panzer Dragoon Saga. It's one of those games that have had widespread sales and recognition would have changed how JRPGs have been made since then.

Sega is special. I love Sega.

More people should have played Panzer Dragoon Saga. It's one of those games that have had widespread sales and recognition would have changed how JRPGs have been made since then.
I know it had no chance for fame in the West but I'm surprised Japan didn't take to it more since the Saturn did alright there.

That was a great read. As someone who started gaming during the late 90s in Canada, I was always fascinated by Sega despite their lack of presence outside of enthusiast circles and the arcades. Their consoles were these mythical devices with really badass names and (according to gaming magazines) stellar libraries full of hidden gems, but that you couldn't actually find anywhere.

My proper introduction to Sega's software came after their exit from the console market. What I immediately noticed was how satisfying and responsive their games felt. Some of the mechanics may not be polished to perfection but the feedback you get while playing is really special. Sega's bread and butter was the arcade, and it really shows. I gained even more appreciation for Sega after recently going back to some of their older classics and seeing how many of them still hold up.

Oh, and the music? Nintendo may have the more iconic themes, but Sega soundtracks have that funky and soulful quality to them. Even their stinkers have some of the best and most unique soundtracks out there. Sega music routinely went places Nintendo is only now starting to explore a bit in their most recent crop of games.

Last but not least, Sega still has one of the best d-pads in the business on the Saturn. I only started using it a few years ago but quickly came to favor it over any Nintendo d-pad for the vast majority of 2D games.

Those interested in Sega history should also check out Ken Horowitz's books (you might know him as Melf from Sega-16 and other message boards).
81XFyUxsxVL.jpg

71UqiVP8lAL.jpg

Delightful read. Good to see a firsthand perspective of SEGA's console history. Though I grew up with a lot of SEGA, I was a little too young to actually be there as anything more than a kid enthusiast who only brushed against what was going on outside my family's price range via magazines.

For my own memories though, I think I can focus on one of the biggest games for me: Phantasy Star Online.

PSO was absolutely incredible, and I still consider it one of the greatest in the genre. It wasn't just well designed and fun to play, but it had a remarkable amount of focus on communication that helped make it memorable. Though I didn't have a keyboard at first I could communicate pretty effectively with the Word Select feature to construct sentences and such. Which would then automatically translate whatever I wanted to say into Japanese, Spanish, German, or French and let me play at all hours of the night by visiting EU or JP servers when it got slow. I met a lot of my first international friends that way and still check in on 'em from time to time to this day. It's insane to me that this kind of feature isn't a standard thing for online games in general.

Though later versions like Blue Burst made the game even better, particularly in having some of the most memorable and cool loot of any online RPG, that first taste of playing an online game with an international playerbase is unparalleled. Not even going into stuff like the weird tricks, raising your pet robot, learning how to get special rares like Soul Eater or Akiko's Frying Pan, digging into the lore in weapon descriptions and speculating about the mysteries presented in the quest dialog, and just the overall tone and vibe of Ragol and Pioneer 2. Everything about Phantasy Star Online was just cool.

Thanks everyone. :)
Delightful read. Good to see a firsthand perspective of SEGA's console history. Though I grew up with a lot of SEGA, I was a little too young to actually be there as anything more than a kid enthusiast who only brushed against what was going on outside my family's price range via magazines.

For my own memories though, I think I can focus on one of the biggest games for me: Phantasy Star Online.

PSO was absolutely incredible, and I still consider it one of the greatest in the genre. It wasn't just well designed and fun to play, but it had a remarkable amount of focus on communication that helped make it memorable. Though I didn't have a keyboard at first I could communicate pretty effectively with the Word Select feature to construct sentences and such. Which would then automatically translate whatever I wanted to say into Japanese, Spanish, German, or French and let me play at all hours of the night by visiting EU or JP servers when it got slow. I met a lot of my first international friends that way and still check in on 'em from time to time to this day. It's insane to me that this kind of feature isn't a standard thing for online games in general.

Though later versions like Blue Burst made the game even better, particularly in having some of the most memorable and cool loot of any online RPG, that first taste of playing an online game with an international playerbase is unparalleled. Not even going into stuff like the weird tricks, raising your pet robot, learning how to get special rares like Soul Eater or Akiko's Frying Pan, digging into the lore in weapon descriptions and speculating about the mysteries presented in the quest dialog, and just the overall tone and vibe of Ragol and Pioneer 2. Everything about Phantasy Star Online was just cool.

I played a bit of Blue Burst. It seemed really good but I guess I had played the original so much, I was burnt out on PSO.

I owned both the sega saturn and dreamcast. SEGA had some great internal development teams back then. Of them, AM2 was the most notable. Favorite games developed by them included Fighters Megamix, F355 Challenge and Shenmue II. Shenmue II was probably my favorite of the SEGA games back then. F355 got me into racing sims on the PC. Fast forward now, I own a Switch and last year happened to come across the game Project Diva Megamix. It's become my favorite game on the switch and most played. Oddly enough, prior to playing the demo, I didn't realize it was made by SEGA. It also came as a complete surprise when I was checking out the credits in the game to see the Palm Tree logo for AM2. Turns out, they were the internal development team that created the arcade version of Project Diva, and also developed the Switch version of the game. Similar to F355 getting me into racing sims, Project Diva got me completely into rhythm games.

F355 Challenge
I was just looking at the intro for this again.

Even back then, I found it interesting that AM2's games in the '90s and early '00s had an '80s vibe to them (despite '80s nostalgia not being popular yet) while also feeling very current and cutting edge. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else, though.

I really loved Sega Master System and Sega Mega Drive 2, and those were console that made me love in console gaming,
too bad Sega made series of bad decisions in short time that make them abandoning console hardware space.

Those interested in Sega history should also check out Ken Horowitz's books (you might know him as Melf from Sega-16 and other message boards).
81XFyUxsxVL.jpg

71UqiVP8lAL.jpg
I'd love to ad this book to the list:

550x825znk0a.jpg

Also, Hardcore Gaming 101 have some great books on Sega's arcade offerings.

I'd love to ad this book to the list:

550x825znk0a.jpg

Also, Hardcore Gaming 101 have some great books on Sega's arcade offerings.
I never bought the Service Games book as it had lots of complaints about being full of errors. That was the original edition, though, so maybe Enhanced Edition is different.

I never bought the Service Games book as it had lots of complaints about being full of errors. That was the original edition, though, so maybe Enhanced Edition is different.
Hm yes, could very well be. Still, it is niceley written and a very good read, but it's probably best not to use is as a source for quoting maybe :)

Back
Top Bottom