• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion First ever United States Nintendo product advertisement found and restored by the Video Game History Foundation

What texture were those shorts that girl was wearing, vinyl? Was that actually fashionable then? (Kinda dig the turquoise color, I had shorts thay color once and loved them alas, theyre gone.)

Anyways I dig this look back at a time befire Nintendo was even close to established in the US. Its so fascinating.

Wait, it just hit me. This isnt Game and Watch, its called Time Out. They localized it as Timeout? Wow, I never knew that.

What texture were those shorts that girl was wearing, vinyl? Was that actually fashionable then? (Kinda dig the turquoise color, I had shorts thay color once and loved them alas, theyre gone.)

Anyways I dig this look back at a time befire Nintendo was even close to established in the US. Its so fascinating.

Wait, it just hit me. This isnt Game and Watch, its called Time Out. They localized it as Timeout? Wow, I never knew that.

Probably old school lycra, which was a lot shinier than the ones people use now.

according to movies, music videos, and posters from the time, yes it was fashionable. Did "regular" people wear that on a regular basis? ehhh, that might be a different answer. Granted I was born in 85 but in all the old photos I've seen of my dad and his friends and family I never saw fashion quite that flashy. Could just be that we're in a rural area.

btw I love that it was the user with the Splatoon icon who asked the fashion question

Whether your basketball game goes well or not, follow it up with some Nintendo video games.
iaVSrSh.jpeg

7cxSKmj.jpeg

It was extremely short lived. I believe NoA already existed, but entirely as a "send the rich kids away to go do something" project to market the arcade cabinets. They'd take Game and Watch sales back over in the US almost immediately

Is it really the first Nintendo commercial if Mego was the distributor, the product was branded as “Mego” rather than “Nintendo”, and Mego was surely the company that commissioned the commercial?

Interesting angle to push the Game and Watch - sorry, Time-Out! - from. Very few kids in that advert; more young adults, making it seem less like a throw-away toy and more a proper... well, handheld game. Perhaps a rather wise decision seeing as the video game crash was on the horizon a few years after this aired. Nonetheless, it is funny how we've come full circle with Nintendo adverts mostly aiming at (and featuring) young adults.

Today I've learned that Ball wasn't originally localised as "Ball", but called "Toss-Up". I suppose it made sense but I wonder if there are other Game & Watch titles that used a different name when it got to English territories.

Thank you for reading.

time to flip this into a creepy pasta about "the first nintendo commercial that had sport injuries so scary that it gave the family dog 'shaking dog syndrome'." This is the commercial they replaced the original with.

Back
Top Bottom