• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Reviews Fire Emblem Engage | Review Thread

mazi

picross pundit
Metacritic (80)
OpenCritic (81)

Eurogamer (recommended):
Intelligent Systems has crafted a culmination of Fire Emblem's history, presenting a surprising blend that takes clear inspiration from both eras. While I miss the intrigue which made Three Houses' main story so appealing, a compelling cast and sublime tactical gameplay see Fire Emblem Engage through. This is a fine RPG that further innovates an already rich combat system, and while long-term fans will get more from this, newcomers might be inspired to check out the rich history of this strategy series.

Polygon (recommended)
Engage, even when it’s fixated on stats and weapons and training, is always rushing toward the next battle, because that’s where the story lies. It’s not a reinvention of the genre, but a distillation. It can’t quite reach the crescendos that Three Houses did, and it certainly doesn’t achieve the longevity of Awakening. But it is consistently great. And it’s confident enough to let me take the reins.

Siliconera (10/10):
After getting a bit experimental with Three Houses, Intelligent Systems returns to more traditional, stellar gameplay with Fire Emblem Engage.

Digitally Downloaded (5/5):
Fire Emblem Engage is everything I love about Fire Emblem, bundled up in a way that does justice to both the classics that got me into the series, and the production values of modern gaming. Brilliant.

IGN (9/10):
Fire Emblem Engage proves itself worthy enough to be counted alongside the legacy it honors so well.

Shacknews (9/10):
Fire Emblem Engage's story might be shaky, but the tactics game excels in every other way.

Video Chums (9/10):
If you're new to the mainline Fire Emblem games albeit an enthusiast of SRPGs in general like I am then Engage will surely wow you with its tight old-school gameplay, incredible presentation, and fantastic cast of characters. Heck, it might even turn you into a dedicated fan.

Game Informer (9/10):
Players looking for deep customization, expertly crafted strategy RPG combat, and a heartfelt story with adoration for more than 30 years of Fire Emblem history will find that and more in Engage. It’s one of the most gripping games I’ve played on Switch and, ultimately, one I struggled to peel myself away from.

Nintendo Life (9/10):
Fire Emblem Engage is another stellar entry in this storied franchise, but it's also one that takes a noticeably different stance than its most recent predecessor. It's all about the combat this time around, at the expense of the relationships and romance that made Three Houses such a fan favourite, so if you're looking for that social element here, you're bound to be left feeling at least a tad disappointed. However, for those jonesing to get down and dirty with some sweet turn-based tactical action - action that's embedded in a satisfyingly OTT, beautifully presented anime narrative - this is as fine an example of the genre as you'll play this year.

CGMagazine (8.5/10):
Fire Emblem Engage is a refreshing return to the series’ roots, emphasizing its tactical complexity that surpasses more recent entries in the franchise while still featuring a charming cast of characters.

Metro GameCentral (8/10):
A more traditional Fire Emblem experience than Three Houses, but one that's filled with fun new features and emphasises deep and varied gameplay over dating mini-games.

VG247 (4/5)
In some ways, that focus-shift back to SRPG fundamentals feels like a possible course correction after the significant ‘Personafication’ of Three Houses. On the other hand, this game still feels like it strives to marry old-school Fire Emblem with those new ideas. As a fan of older Fire Emblem and strategy games in general, I was thrilled to see the depth of combat and the level to which you can make battling your absolute focus. That’s still true even if Engage doesn’t quite get the balance in its execution right in a way that might put a small subset of Three Houses lovers off. It’s still a tremendously satisfying experience, mind. It’s engaging - sorry, I had to get it in – and an easy recommendation.

Wccftech (8/10):
Fire Emblem Engage’s story is derivative JRPG nonsense and its social elements are skippable, but the game’s battlefield heroics largely make up for its shortcomings. Classic Fire Emblem combat mechanics make their welcome return here and are nicely elevated by the new Engage system and a slate of varied, surprisingly-challenging maps. Fire Emblem Engage won’t be everybody’s favorite entry in the series, but it should be a critical hit with many seasoned generals.

Twinfinite (3.5/10):
At the end of the day, Fire Emblem Engage ends up being a rather middling experience that wasn’t afraid to try a few new things as far as combat is concerned, but couldn’t come close to the heights that its predecessors have set for the series.

WellPlayed (7/10):
Fire Emblem Engage is enjoyable but leaves little impression. If the narrative was more compelling, if the character relationships were deeper and more interesting or if combat was more varied, there's every chance that Engage would have felt more robust and impactful. In the absence of those things, Engage just feels…fine.

Gamespot (7/10):
While Fire Emblem's combat mechanics have never been better, Engage's story and structure lack the ambition of its predecessors. The result is a predictable and straightforward romp that's carried by its fantastic presentation and engaging combat. And although the Emblem Rings add a deep and satisfying wrinkle to the battles, the heroes contained within them are one-dimensional apparitions that leave a lot to be desired. If you’re looking for a deep tactical RPG with some colorful characters, it will certainly scratch that itch. But beyond that, Fire Emblem Engage feels like a safe, straightforward entry in Nintendo’s long-running series.

Checkpoint Gaming (6.5/10):
Fire Emblem Engage is an okay addition to the Fire Emblem series, with fun and varied maps and enough changes to the tactical mechanics to make it probably worth playing for any FE fan, though not all of its changes are winners. Its spectacular graphics are something to behold; it's just a shame that it is accompanied by a story that falls completely flat and emblem heroes that are shadows of their former selves. It's just sadly underwhelming in the face of what its predecessor, Three Houses, achieved better.

Inverse (6/10):
Fire Emblem’s tradition of focusing on character relationships hit a peak in Three Houses, and we all kind of assumed that would continue into Engage. Sadly, that’s not the case. Fire Emblem Engage scales its social interactions down to a bare minimum, leaving a cast of underdeveloped characters in its wake. At the same time, it features some of Fire Emblem’s best tactical combat, making the game feel as sharply divided as its protagonist’s over-discussed red-and-blue hair.

VGC (3/5):
Fire Emblem Engage is a great strategy game, but we don’t think it’s a great modern Fire Emblem game. Whether the reverence for the social elements of Three Houses came as a surprise to the team or not, the dearth of those moments in Engage makes it feel like it’s missing half of its core at times. While the anniversary cameos will please the hardcore fans at first, we worry that, much like the weak social aspects, their largely minor impact on the game itself will disappoint.

GamesRadar (2.5/5)
Fire Emblem Engage is sadly a missed opportunity to tie together a new cast of characters with the heroes of old.

Last edited:
I'm thinking somewhere around 85-88. Will be a great game either way going by the previews.

I'm still holding some tiny hope that there is great character writing similar to SoV and 3H.

I wouldnt be surprised it gets close to Awakening. After Three Houses it seems fans are looking forward to a more traditional FE experience. And the game, during the preview, already had a lot of depth to go around with :).

Thank you for always making these threads mazi!!

As for score estimations.. I think at it's lowest 84, and at it's highest 92. 🧐

No matter what the score will be, I don't care I JUST NEED THE GAME ALREADY!!!!

I'd imagine high 80s, I don't think FE is what usually gets 90+ (even if Awakening did).

Slightly lower than three houses, the improved graphics will carry it a little, but the change in storytelling focus away from what at least appears to be a less character/world focused story (nobody correct me if this assumption is incorrect, I've deliberately avoided story spoilers) and slightly weird character designs will probably hold it back from any series records.

Got a meeting at 3pm so a 2pm embargo lift means I can spend the hour before the meeting productively not reading relevant documents but instead perusing the FE reviews.

Neat.

Hope it can hit 90+ , everything so far especially the back to more classic fire emblem mechanics has me hyped

Hoping for a 90+, but just getting the same score as 3H would still be great. Even Fates has like an 88, and I can't imagine Engage's writing being anywhere near as bad as that game, so I think it can pull through given how pretty much everything besides story quality/ambition looks to be a huge upgrade from 3H imo.

I didn't know FE3H was an 89 before I looked it up lol.

I'm guessing 84-85 due to visuals and character design direction.

hoping for a hundred because it's in my fantasycritic league. But guessing around 86 I guess? Three Houses did much better than I thought

Quite interesting that this is very much being compared to Three Houses. Which... duh. But it seems like some people prefer the 3H approach to the series, and others prefer this one, with very little middle ground.

Basically, 3H was so widely popular, that it may very well be the new "benchmark" of the series.

(After I type this, I realize I just said the most obvious thing in the world. I guess I don't really know how to say what I'm trying to say, if that makes any sense).

Seems like the difference in the high review scores and the low review scores comes down to how much people liked the stronger social elements of 3 Houses. For those who really got sucked in by those mechanics in 3H, Engage feels like a step back, and for those who burned out on those mechanics, this game is a great return to form.

I don't think it's just the format of 3H's story but the content of the story itself. From what I've seen in previews Engage's story is very very straightforward to the point where it makes Shadow Dragon look like it's pushing the envelope.

Seems like the difference in the high review scores and the low review scores comes down to how much people liked the stronger social elements of 3 Houses. For those who really got sucked in by those mechanics in 3H, Engage feels like a step back, and for those who burned out on those mechanics, this game is a great return to form.

No, it ain't just the "social elements". I've only read 4 reviews, and two of them were disappointed with the story of Engage. The Gamespot reviews is lamenting that it's a downgrade from 3H.

Last edited:
Low 80s is a bit surprising, but it's understandable if folks were hoping for another Three Houses and therefore disappointed.

The game looks good though, it will be a shame if ends up being the lowest reviewed modern Fire Emblem.

I wonder how many of the reviewers who reviewed this game also reviewed awakening or fates, because the story in those game is really bad but it didn't affect the score one bit.

From the RPGSite review:

Fire Emblem Engage is a good tactical RPG with a paper-thin story, shallow characters, and a kitchen-sink approach to far too many subsystems that don't synergize well. If you come to Fire Emblem primarily for its tactical elements, you may have an absolute blast building your perfect team of colorful combatants and their Emblem counterparts. I come away from Fire Emblem Engage satisfied with its tried-and-true gameplay and unique Emblem twist, but I wish the narrative elements made more of an impact on me.

Yeah...

My biggest concern was about the story and it seems to be kinda meh (not sure if it's fates level of meh yet). A shame after 3H great story. Gonna skip this for now since I mostly play this for the story and characters.. Probably will buy it later.

Think I'll pass til a sale. The story in these strategy games are what keep me....engaged. it's a slower paced type of gameplay so it's very odd they don't focus on story.

Back
Top Bottom