• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Favorite gaming podcasts

BombChorizo

Moblin
Let's share our favorite gaming podcasts!

I've been a weekly podcast listener for almost 15 years and it's still my preferred format for gaming discussion. These days, I've cut back on weekly industry-news discussions (IGN, GiantBomb, etc), but I still listen to several gaming shows. I'd like to share a few unique, lesser-known podcasts. I highly recommend them both!

aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cucG9kY2hhc2VyLmNvbS9pbWFnZXMvbWlzc2luZy1pbWFnZS5wbmc%3D

Super Marcato Bros: A gaming music podcast. Hosted by 2 brothers who are professional musicians/composers. Each episode focuses on a different game, series, composer or genre. Expect a deep technical and compositional discussion on your favorite gaming soundtracks. This week's episode is Super Castlevania IV!

Axe of the Blood God: An RPG podcast. Hosted by Kat and Nadia, formerly of USGamer. Great discussions on RPG history, news and game reviews. I don't even play many RPGs anymore but I always appreciate their take on the genre. This week's episode is about the spookiest RPG creepypastas!

who could forget the nintendo pipeline podcast, the ongoing project of a handful of members here

here's one with me in it because y'know

Never missing out on either the EZA podcast, Friend Code or Frame Trap. Love & Respect!

8-4 Play, focussed on Japanese gaming and development, very recommended: https://8-4.jp/blog/

Wait, this is done by people from here? Nice, never knew that, I really like this podcast!
I was a cofounder! It was the idea and passion project of @CMM1215 and @1upmuffin, but the first five episodes were all edited and uploaded by me. The first is still my favorite, though I think I had a cold when I was editing and recorded that intro note.

Since episode 6 it has been cohosted by the delightful @Mina, and I am not longer involved in its production (though I did edit the September DIrect episode I guested on). It seems like the podcast is going strong and will continue for a while, so I'm quite impressed with what 1upmuffin, CMM1215, and Mina have built.

Waypoint Radio is the only one I listen to week to week. Despite Austin leaving recently the rest of the team (and now Natalie!) have picked up the slack remarkably well and it remains as good as ever.

for my weekly news / standard gaming podcast stuff i do:

the minnmax show
8-4 play

other stuff:

digital foundry direct
fire escape cast
nintendo pipeline podcast (duh!)
retronauts

8-4 Play, focussed on Japanese gaming and development, very recommended: https://8-4.jp/blog/

I always forget about 8-4 Play. I’ve listened several times over the years, usually when they would guest on Giant Bomb shows. I like the show but I've never been a weekly listener.

Waypoint Radio is the only one I listen to week to week. Despite Austin leaving recently the rest of the team (and now Natalie!) have picked up the slack remarkably well and it remains as good as ever.

I like Austin and Patrick but never gave Waypoint a shot for whatever reason.

for my weekly news / standard gaming podcast stuff i do:

the minnmax show
8-4 play

other stuff:

digital foundry direct
fire escape cast
nintendo pipeline podcast (duh!)
retronauts

I gave Fire Escape a shot, since I like Dan and Mary, but it’s wayyy too long. I just can’t do 4 hour episodes!

EARWOLF_COVER_HowDidThisGetPlayed_3000x3000_Final-300x300.jpg

Absolutely love this show.

Heather Anne Campbell (The Twilight Zone, Whose Line is it Anyway?) and Nick Wiger (Doughboys, I Love You America) love video games so much and together they are playing the worst AND weirdest games ever made with their funniest friends to get down to the fundamental question: How Did This Get Played?

Player One Podcast is to me simply the best gaming podcast out there. It is hysterical and three lifelong friends who worked at EGM, Nintendo Power, etc. It is like the morning zoo of podcasts and love it. Highly recommend it.

Also listen to Retronauts, which is great for just a retrospective on games.

Axe of the Blood God is great, although I have to tune Kat out sometimes because she can be so negative and comes of as old man yells at clouds at times.

And for Nintendo focused, Power Pros is great. Run by former editor of Nintendo Power who now works for Wayforward.

Waypoint Radio
Giant Bombcast
Nextlander
Let's Fight a Boss
Mega 64
Abnormal Mapping
Fire Escape

Gamescoop

Game Scoop is one of the first podcasts I ever listened to, when I discovered podcasts wayyyyy back in 2008. I haven't listened in ages, but I loved the IGN podcasts during the late 2000s era.

Daemon Hatfield and Greg Miller on Game Scoop.
Matt Casamassina, Mark Bozon and Craig Harris on Nintendo Voice Chat.
Hilary Goldstein, Erik Brudvig, Ryan Geddes, Nate Ahearn, David Clayman on Three Red Lights.

Any other old people like me remember those days?

Scoop is better than ever with the current crew and with regards to Daemon I think he’s grown up a lot. That’s helped the podcast a ton with how he discusses things compared to back in the Wii days.

The real OG in podcast and video stuff was all the 1up Show and 1up Yours. Ahead of it’s time and still hasn’t really been matched.

Also G Lee is the single best podcast host of all time bar none.

Scoop is better than ever with the current crew and with regards to Daemon I think he’s grown up a lot. That’s helped the podcast a ton with how he discusses things compared to back in the Wii days.

The real OG in podcast and video stuff was all the 1up Show and 1up Yours. Ahead of it’s time and still hasn’t really been matched.

Also G Lee is the single best podcast host of all time bar none.

Somehow I completely missed 1Up and it's podcasts, but I realize how influential they were on so many outlets that I enjoy. And I have followed many of the 1Up people in their future roles, even if I didn't know who they were during the 1Up days.

Retronauts is the only show I listen to currently. I'm generally not interested in most mainstream things, I get my gaming news from websites, and I tend to play games kinda slowly so I regularly bounce off anything that's the standard "3-4 people talking about current gaming stuff" format.

But I really enjoy hearing stories about how games were made, and the Retronauts crew generally cover things I'm interested in so it's one of the few shows I haven't tired of.

Retronauts is the only show I listen to currently. I'm generally not interested in most mainstream things, I get my gaming news from websites, and I tend to play games kinda slowly so I regularly bounce off anything that's the standard "3-4 people talking about current gaming stuff" format.

But I really enjoy hearing stories about how games were made, and the Retronauts crew generally cover things I'm interested in so it's one of the few shows I haven't tired of.

I’ve burnt out on that format recently as well. I just don’t have the time, energy or desire to keep up with the constant stream of releases these days. I used to listen to so many of those shows weekly, but I no longer need to hear 5 different groups’ take on whatever the new game is each week. Shows like I shared in the OP are a bit more niche and focused, which has been appealing to me lately. I’ve heard good things about Retronauts. They often collaborate with the Axe of the Blood God hosts.

Yeah Retronauts is the only video game podcast I regularly follow for basically the exact same reasons.

I used to listen to four to five podcasts a week a decade ago and now I hardly ever tune in :/ Lot of people I enjoyed over the years still do them and now a few friends. Just doesn’t fit my current lifestyle at the moment I guess :/ Hope one day I’ll get back into them and get on more, they are a lot of fun!

Haven’t listened since Austin left, but Waypoint was the last one I’d tune in once in a while. Love the people at Game Informer, Minnmax, and Kinda Funny too, but I only catch a stray video or two lately.

Tetracast (my go-to for JRPGs most podcasts never cover)

Triple Click (I already loved Maddy and Kirk from Kotaku Splitscreen)

EZA podcast / Frame Trap / Friend Code (i just follow EZA in general)

These are my main 3, but there are many others i sometimes listen, it helps when they have timecodes and i can already skip to the games i care the most.

As far as general gaming pods go, I only listen to Nextlander. But I will take a look at some stuff other people here listen to.

I also listen to two single game oriented podcasts, PlatChat Overwatch and PlatChat Valorant, both about esports in their respective games.

I've been listening to Retronauts since 2008. They did ton to shape how I look at games. It's usually pretty good, but I don't keep as regular. No longer put the time into episodes on subjects I don't care about. Any episode with Bob Mackey and Henry Gilbert are must listens though.

I listen to Easy Allies to get news and quick discussions, though I make heavy use of the time codes to skip around.

I like the format of Insert Credit, but Tim Rogers leaving hurt the dynamic. I still listen to most episodes though. The backlog of episodes from the return of their hiatus to early this year is very good and fun to listen to. I've enjoyed 8-4 though I stopped listening for no reason (gotta get back on it) and Cain and Rinse when they talk about a video game I know or care about.

As far as general gaming pods go, I only listen to Nextlander. But I will take a look at some stuff other people here listen to.

I also listen to two single game oriented podcasts, PlatChat Overwatch and PlatChat Valorant, both about esports in their respective games.

Did you drop the Bombcast when Nextlander launched or before? Or are you a completely new Nextlander fan? I stopped listening to the Bomb/Beastcast a few years back. I listened to a few Nextlanders, which were pretty good but I'm kind of over the format in general. I haven't been engaged with the GB community in quite a while so it would be interesting to see what everyone thinks about the new, split content now that so many have left.

Did you drop the Bombcast when Nextlander launched or before? Or are you a completely new Nextlander fan? I stopped listening to the Bomb/Beastcast a few years back. I listened to a few Nextlanders, which were pretty good but I'm kind of over the format in general. I haven't been engaged with the GB community in quite a while so it would be interesting to see what everyone thinks about the new, split content now that so many have left.
I’ve known about GB, but never listened to Bombcast, so I am a new listener. I understand, that listening to the same format for years can get tiring, but as a commute distraction, It’s good. I don’t engage with the community at all, just tried an episode one day, after hearing all the buzz about it, and been enjoying it since.

medium_TheHabibis-Logo-Color-Wide-500.png

I really love listening to The Habibis: The Habibis
As they themselves say: "The Habibis is three game developers drinking some good Arab Tea for what should be about forty minutes, inshallah, each week, inshallah. Fawzi Mesmar, Osama Dorias, and Rami Ismail discuss games and media and life as a bunch of Arabs living all over the big world."

It is just a really good down to earth podcast with three passionate people talking about games. And as an outsider I really enjoy the insights and discussions of arab culture.

My main gaming shows are the Spawncast, Arlocast, Nate’s show and Nintendo Voice Chat. Occasionally I’ll listen to EZA (the main show and Friend Code) but not regularly. I also recently discovered This Nintendo Life.

There’s a few that I used to listen to but dropped. GameXplain’s show, the Podquisition, Nintendo World Report and the Bombcast are all shows I used to listen to regularly but have since dropped for one reason or another.

I’ve known about GB, but never listened to Bombcast, so I am a new listener. I understand, that listening to the same format for years can get tiring, but as a commute distraction, It’s good. I don’t engage with the community at all, just tried an episode one day, after hearing all the buzz about it, and been enjoying it since.

It's more that I don't play as many games these days. And I stick with them longer instead of hopping from game to game each week/month like I did in the 2010s. I was listening to so many weekly news podcasts, I just burnt out and realized I don't need to hear 5 different groups' take on the games of the week. I also don't have a commute anymore.

Nextlander seems really good though. Vinny, Brad and Alex are all great and I do miss hearing from them. Giantbomb is such an influential podcast. They've had multiple "golden eras" and I really hope they find their footing with this new one. However, I don't think I'm their target audience anymore.

I always make time for waypoint radio and 8-4 play.

the games press is a new one i picked up, which does a monthly episode interviewing people in games media.

will tune in to triple click, bombcast, and minnmax if i need more to listen to.

I will always endorse Retronauts, I also recommend Game Scoop and Nintendo Voice Chat from IGN.

2 of my obscure and less well known podcasts;

4playerpodcast: this podcast had been going for over a decade and these dudes have impeccable chemistry with each one having distinct taste and playstyles.

Cane and Rinse: the only patreon that I currently support. Approaching a decade long run now. Each episode is a deep dive into a single game, with a few exceptions, and once again it's the chemistry of the cast that really makes this one work. Really wish they were more well known cause they absolutely deserve the support.

Back
Top Bottom