• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Fave Game Soundtracks of 2023?

big lantern ghost

cantstandya
Pronouns
he/him
We’ve got the most crucial run of the year to go, but that doesn’t mean there hasn’t been some sublime music in the games already released this year!

Personally, I’ve been listening to Diablo IV’s soundtrack for months now:

I feel like Diablo maybe doesn’t get its music dues as a series, but each game has some fantastic pieces. Diablo IV is my fave overall.

What’s stood out to you?

Not in any particular order:

• Octopath 2: Probably my frontrunner for OST of the year - the character themes, saxophone, vocal night themes and boss music, and so on is just excellent
  • A Space for the Unbound: A really synth-y, atmospheric soundtrack with some jams that really fits the southeast-Asia vibe the game has going for it. And then the game hits you with not one, but two incredibly emotional vocal tracks near the end and one of them in particular absolutely wrecks me
  • Tears of the Kingdom: It reuses some music and a lot of the more atmospheric stuff still isn't really my cup of tea, but there's some GREAT stuff here. Pretty much every single piece of music in the Wind Temple area, from the ascent, the temple itself, and the Colgera boss music is incredible. Overall a great OST.
  • Blasphemous 2: I'm only about halfway through it, but the Blasphemous 2 OST is delivering again in a similar vein and style to the first game with a lot of Spanish-influenced guitar and piano.

I've probably forgotten a few, too. And there's lots of good to come, like Sea of Stars just around the corner. And while it's remixes of old tracks, the Mario RPG soundtrack is going to be incredible.

Nothing's blown me away yet. I enjoyed XC3 future redeemed and FF16's OSTs but still found them lacking compared to xc1/2 and ff14

I was really impressed with the Tchia soundtrack from early this year.

Also, the rearrangements from the Advance Wars 1 and 2 remake were really good. I enjoyed Octopath Traveler 2's soundtrack, too, though I haven't played through that at all yet. Didn't stop me from loving the original Octopath's soundtrack, though, either. ha

As far as soundtracks go, not a lot of new-new has particularly stood out to me so far this year. But old-new on the other hand has been knocking it out of the park by introducing me to some all-time bangers

some of my favorites from the Ghost Trick remaster

and Advance Wars 1+2

All amazing posts so far. Octopath Traveler II, FF16, and Diablo IV especially.

maxresdefault.jpg

Not played Tchia yet. @big lantern ghost Gale Valley incredible. Don't make me buy Diablo IV for the IVth time!

Realized I didn't actually post any links, so here goes:

Possibly my favorite song of the entire year, Song of Hope from Octopath 2:

TOTK Colgera is incredible with when it all comes together especially (the C sections):

A nice more upbeat track with great instrumentation from ASFTU, Chasing Truth:

And the track that is guaranteed to make me cry in about 5 seconds flat, Within the Dream from A Space for the Unbound:

I've only played a few new releases this year but the standouts to me were Tears of the Kingdom and Resident Evil 4 Remake.

TotK has some of my favourite tunes in the entire series, both the more melodic and bombastic ones as well as the quieter atmospheric pieces. I love the music of all the regional phenomena but the Wind one is definitely a standout. Putting some of my faves behind spoilers because people are still playing the game:

The ascend to the Ark culminating with the dive into the eye of the storms gave me goosebumps.

I generally love how the music conveys this feeling of uncovering the remnants of Hyrule's history. Ancient Zora Waterworks gave me such Metroid Prime vibes.

Colgera's theme is obviously getting a lot of love but I also wanna shoutout the Seized Construct Battle here.

Approaching Ganondorf's lair with the music getting more and more overbearing was wild and after that it's just one banger after another, from the oppressive fight against Ganondorf, the grandiose fight in the sky against the Demon Dragon and the final dive to catch Zelda.

In RE4R you can really tell that they wanted to make something that is recognizably RE4 but also more in line with the more modern presentation and slightly different tone. The original save theme music is one of the most iconic pieces to me and I love the new rendition.

Also, this:

Of the games I haven't played/finished, I loved what I heard in Octopath Traveler 2, Final Fantasy XVI and Armored Core VI. My girlfriend and I went crazy when we heard Find the Flame.

Octopath II’s soundtrack is really good. Lots of variety and ambience but also some really catchy character themes, particularly Partitio’s brass elements and Agnea’s Song of Hope. I love the way they get worked into the closing of each chapter.

Tears of the Kingdom for sure.

Lots of tracks I could list but I'm especially fond of the light dragon theme, and how they accentuated the choirs and background sweeps to make it much more mournful and contemplative than the ordinary dragon theme.

Tears of the Kingdom is the clear highlight for me. Lots to love about it.
I'm still working through Octopath Traveler 2 and Hi-Fi Rush but they're both great, even if the latter is mostly licensed music.
Dead Cells: Return to Castlevania has GREAT renditions of classic CV tunes.

Tears of the Kingdom for sure.

Lots of tracks I could list but I'm especially fond of the light dragon theme, and how they accentuated the choirs and background sweeps to make it much more mournful and contemplative than the ordinary dragon theme.

i think BOTW/TOTK overuse zelda/ganon themes but i adore the use of Zelda's here. it really hammers home the somber nature of her sacrifice. poor girl has been through a ton.

Genshin has continued to deliver great music. And I really love the fusion of genres in Star Rail.

FR was more like what I want and expect from Xenoblade, but built on the bones of XC3, it still didn’t quite have that ‘oomph’ for me.

Last edited:
  • Octopath Traveler 2
  • Tears of the Kingdom
  • Final Fantasy XVI
I assume Mario/RPG and Starfield will get on here as well.

• Octopath Traveler 2
  • Tears of the Kingdom
  • Final Fantasy XVI
I assume Mario/RPG and Starfield will get on here as well.
I started crying out of nostalgia during the SMRPG trailer when they played the remix of Bandit's Way so I cannot wait to hear the rest

I'm going to have to cheat and say Ghost Trick Remastered

I played Ghost Trick for the first time with the Remaster and the OST is just great. The Last Desperate Struggle is up there with my favorite video game music of all time, it's so epic and easily belongs on the same pedestal as any Ace Attorney theme. Informing of the Parting is also a new favorite of mine, it's so tender and innocent and fits so well ... it made me cry like a baby.

However I also have to give props to Pizza Tower's OST. While not every song is a hit, the ones that are are just bangers:

Tombstone Arizona is another GOAT for me, and to be named after my state too ;)

Only the most epic area theme to be featured in a video game ever.

Back
Top Bottom