• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Fans think a newly revealed Pokémon could hint at Black & White remakes

NintendoMariah

Moblin
Founder
Pronouns
Him

Revealed during Pokémon Presents, the Pokémon is an evolved form of Duraludon, known as Archaludon.

Duraludon is based on a skyscraper, seemingly inspired by the London skyline, as the Pokémon debuted in Pokémon Sword and Shield, which was based in the UK.

Now, fans think Archaludon could reference upcoming Pokémon Black and White remakes. According to several posts on social media, the newly evolved Pokémon resembles the Skyarrow bridge, the main bridge in the Unova region, the setting of Pokemon Black and White.

I'd be alright with that since I skipped the gen and it's largely expected but... That reasoning seems like a huge reach

There's also the Applin evo which is "The Big Apple".

I just really hope that A) It's not Ilca or B) They learn a LOT from BDSP and improve the art style.
61e216710012b341e8a89dd045ce0ba99a6e7409.png

a) this is a thread about a news article about a xeet posted by one (1) person
b) the thread ignores that the news article adds that the Pokémon in question is owned by a character who is a clear reference to a character present in Black and White
c) another character shown is a reference to another character in Black and White, which has been pointed out by people other than the one (1) person whose xeet was quoted by the article
d) the company that likes to rehash their old games in order of original release has recently rehashed the games prior to Black and White, many people were expecting either a Unova rehash or a Johto rehash next

I mean, I guess it looks like the Skyarrow Bridge or Driftveil Drawbridge, in the sense that it looks... like a bridge.

Still, I'm sure B/W remakes will come eventually.

how many more times are we going to go through this? of course BW remakes are coming. they're probably not coming next year, though, or the year after.

I just really hope that A) It's not Ilca or B) They learn a LOT from BDSP and improve the art style.

197.jpg

what you linked is a reveal screenshot, the final game looks pretty different.

the big things with remakes going forward is they can't really make a game like BW in the style of Legends or SV. the worlds are designed much differently, and it's a situation like FFVII where you're hitting an insane amount of assets that need to be redone, except now in HD. so i'm not sure what route they'll go.

Kinda surprised we never got lets go johto

I think Let's Go was kind of more of an experimental title, meant for Game Freak to test making a Pokemon game for the Switch and porting Go-esque mechanics to a main series game. Still, I'd prefer this to anything short of a remake that has B/W2 content, if for no other reason than we'd get some masterful renditions of the best Pokemon OST in GSC.

The idea of hinting at pokemon remakes is like hinting at activision making a new Call of Duty. It's just inevitable pattern recognition.

Might as well post it here too:

Drayton, one of those Blueberry Academy Student Elite 4 is rumored / speculated to be related to B/W's Drayden. Possibly his grandson.

This is what I think too. I was surprised because typically classic remakes are done every other gen right?

Yes, every remake so far was released 5-7 years after the last one, but people start to get hyped about the next gen whenever they come out and start to see hints everywhere. We've been through this a couple times.

So do they remake BW1 and then hit us with a BW2 remake later, or do they make a BW1+2?

Because from what I remember (which is very little because I unintentionally skipped gen 5) BW2 were mechanically and content wise the superior games.

I hope it's by Game Freak and in the Scarlet and Violet or Legends Arceus mould.

Legends gameplay with a modern setting, the "areas" divided by the bridges and developments rather than a map screen, that sounds really fun.

the Diamond/Pearl remakes were pretty bland - and while I was not a massive fan of the chibi artstyle I think the graphics were not the main issue in those games. I played through it and basically just forgot all of it instantly.

the same was true back in the days for Black/White and X/Y - those were all the most forgettable generations for me where each game just seemed to do the same as the one that came before. But I get that younger gamers have much nostalgia for what may have been their "first" Pokémon generations.

I would much rather have another Legends game, but also slightly curious what they would do with Unova.

I thought people had suggested there was a Legends game coming set in Unova? but yeah would be into Black/White remakes, may well be my favourite gen.

Yes, every remake so far was released 5-7 years after the last one, but people start to get hyped about the next gen whenever they come out and start to see hints everywhere. We've been through this a couple times.
Histroically True, but I think now it's a little different for a couple reasons.

We hit the point where we're having multiple generations per system. It made sense to wait several years from remaking a Gameboy to a GBA game to DS game, the jumps were much larger.... but there's not as much reason to wait for jumping from a DS game to another DS game.

Also, remakes took long because Gamefreak had to juggle between New Generations, third versions, remakes, etc themselves, but now that Gamefreak can just pass the remakes on too another team, they can get them out whenever

So Duraludon is based on the Shard (not the entire London skyline) while this new evo, Archaludon, is apparently based on a bridge.

Well, I'm seeing some towers for arms and some criss cross bits on the body. Also, the way its body bend is also reminiscent of one side of a draw bridge opening up. Dunno, doesn't seem like stretch to say the intention is that it's inspired by Tower Bridge (has towers (no duh), criss cross design along the suspension chains and it's a drawbridge), which, while not quite the nearest bridge to the Shard (that's London Bridge), it's the next one along. Seems just as logical as saying it's based on Skyarrow Bridge.

So Duraludon is based on the Shard (not the entire London skyline) while this new evo, Archaludon, is apparently based on a bridge.

Well, I'm seeing some towers for arms and some criss cross bits on the body. Also, the way its body bend is also reminiscent of one side of a draw bridge opening up. Dunno, doesn't seem like stretch to say the intention is that it's inspired by Tower Bridge (has towers (no duh), criss cross design along the suspension chains and it's a drawbridge), which, while not quite the nearest bridge to the Shard (that's London Bridge), it's the next one along. Seems just as logical as saying it's based on Skyarrow Bridge.
Having been to Tower Bridge-

It most certainly is not based on Tower Bridge!

Specifically, it's based on a double draw bridge (Tower Bridge is single), with spires (not towers), and no suspension system.

It is kinda funny to think how easy humans in the Pokemon world have it.

Everything from Bridges to Ice Cream to Martial Arts Uniforms to Sandcastles to Magnets all just come from Pokemon. They didnt even need to discover electricity since Pokemon could just do it for them!

All the greatest engineering and cultural feats in history are just them copying what some lizards outside look like lol

Having been to Tower Bridge-

It most certainly is not based on Tower Bridge!

Specifically, it's based on a double draw bridge (Tower Bridge is single), with spires (not towers), and no suspension system.
Shrug
I just looked at an image of the Pokémon in question and drew some comparisons to the only bridge that they'd really base a Pokémon on (they certainly wouldn't bother with the nondescript London Bridge) if they were to continue the theme of London landmarks.

Looking at the trailer now I see it has an animation where it takes on a from more like a complete suspension bridge. From the static image most of that wasn't on show - hence me seeing only its arms as representing the two towers.

Still, saying all that, the comparison to Skyarrow Bridge is much of a stretch as well.

Shrug
I just looked at an image of the Pokémon in question and drew some comparisons to the only bridge that they'd really base a Pokémon on (they certainly wouldn't bother with the nondescript London Bridge) if they were to continue the theme of London landmarks.

Looking at the trailer now I see it has an animation where it takes on a from more like a complete suspension bridge. From the static image most of that wasn't on show - hence me seeing only its arms as representing the two towers.

Still, saying all that, the comparison to Skyarrow Bridge is much of a stretch as well.
Ah, I missed the animation one!

In the form with the suspension deployed it definitely looks like Skyarrow Bridge. In fact the spires have the same number of sides. I'll also note that Unova has a four-spire suspension DRAWBRIDGE, whereas Galar does not.

Combining these:

It has the structure of Village Bridge (sweeping, wide radius feet) and Tubeline Bridge (criss-crossing metal supports), it has suspension draw bridge elements like Driftveil Drawbridge, it has the spires of Skyarrow... So it's a combination of every major bridge in Unova, integrating an element from each (spires, struts, suspension and draw), but I concede that unless I'm forgetting, Unova doesn't have a double draw bridge (but to my knowledge no region does.)

It's definitely not based on any London landmarks (and why would it, it's a regional evolution of somewhere OUTSIDE the UK)

I will say, though! Regional evolutions of Galarian Pokémon is pretty striking imagery parallel to the emergence of the United States.

It is kinda funny to think how easy humans in the Pokemon world have it.

Everything from Bridges to Ice Cream to Martial Arts Uniforms to Sandcastles to Magnets all just come from Pokemon. They didnt even need to discover electricity since Pokemon could just do it for them!

All the greatest engineering and cultural feats in history are just them copying what some lizards outside look like lol
Electric eel, synapse, chameleon, heck, bird wings?

(Respectively, electricity, transistor gate, colour photography, and the aerofoil.)

Humans aren't exactly innocent, the breakthrough is synthesizing it, not discovering it.

Hydraulic presses, levers and pullies, dams and containers, even rack and pinion, these all have natural occurrences. We just usually don't think of them like that! There are insects with biomechanical GEARS that they evolved to have!

Not mocking you or anything, just that biomimicry is EVERYWHERE!

You know, thinking about it, don't neurons use capacitance, and develop a potential difference using chemicals seperated by a barrier?

Otherwise known as a BATTERY and VOLTAGE? 😂

The question on Gen 5 remakes is when they're released. HGSS was around 5.5 years after FRLG. ORAS was around 5 years after HGSS. BDSP was 7 years after ORAS.

3 years after BDSP would be very fast.

And then they would sort of be stuck because there's no good way to cheaply remake Pokemon XY.

The question on Gen 5 remakes is when they're released. HGSS was around 5.5 years after FRLG. ORAS was around 5 years after HGSS. BDSP was 7 years after ORAS.

And then they would sort of be stuck because there's no good way to cheaply remake Pokemon XY.
For XY onwards, I imagine they'll lean closer to upscaled ports rather than full remakes.
Kalos needs a revisit more than any other game since it never got one, but all that can be done with stuff like Legends or a sequel. I think once we get to the 3D games, the originals will be fine if they're just made accessible on modern hardware. (reworked with better textures and formatted for single screen and all that jazz).

With the way the industry is really getting behind backwards compatibility and digital libraries, I think there's a chance we'll still have access to our Switch games even by the time it's Sword and Shields turn, which means they wont really need remakes beyond a certian point.

For XY onwards, I imagine they'll lean closer to upscaled ports rather than full remakes.
Kalos needs a revisit more than any other game since it never got one, but all that can be done with stuff like Legends or a sequel. I think once we get to the 3D games, the originals will be fine if they're just made accessible on modern hardware. (reworked with better textures and formatted for single screen and all that jazz).

With the way the industry is really getting behind backwards compatibility and digital libraries, I think there's a chance we'll still have access to our Switch games even by the time it's Sword and Shields turn, which means they wont really need remakes beyond a certian point.
pokemon z would slap but I wouldn't say no to pokemon x and y 2

Why should it be cheap?

If it can't be cheaply done, then invest, put in the money, and do it anyway?

If they're not going to remake them properly, a "cheap" way to deal with it would be to just remaster them. A lot of THAT work is already done.

This is what I think too. I was surprised because typically classic remakes are done every other gen right?
Histroically True, but I think now it's a little different for a couple reasons.

We hit the point where we're having multiple generations per system. It made sense to wait several years from remaking a Gameboy to a GBA game to DS game, the jumps were much larger.... but there's not as much reason to wait for jumping from a DS game to another DS game.

Also, remakes took long because Gamefreak had to juggle between New Generations, third versions, remakes, etc themselves, but now that Gamefreak can just pass the remakes on too another team, they can get them out whenever
I think people are cherrypicking to try and find patterns. Gens 3 and 4 both had remakes. Every system other than GBA had to generations of Pokémon. Let's Go threw everything out of whack if you count it. There really isn't a system- or generation-specific pattern at all. The only thing we can say is that they are spaced out more than new generations. But if Nintendo had a system last 10+ years, it'd probably get two remakes, or if a generation somehow ever lasts more than three years again you could get remakes bookending consecutive generations.

Predicting a Gen 5 remake is the equivalent of predicting that Apple will have a September event where they announce the next iPhone 😂

I think people are cherrypicking to try and find patterns. Gens 3 and 4 both had remakes. Every system other than GBA had to generations of Pokémon. Let's Go threw everything out of whack if you count it. There really isn't a system- or generation-specific pattern at all. The only thing we can say is that they are spaced out more than new generations. But if Nintendo had a system last 10+ years, it'd probably get two remakes, or if a generation somehow ever lasts more than three years again you could get remakes bookending consecutive generations.
I didn’t think about it like that, you have a point. And at the same time they like to break patterns, so why not. The only thing I want is these remakes to be less bland than DP remakes. BW is my favourite game so I want them to be done with as much love as Gold/Silver remakes.

Back
Top Bottom