• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Famitsu week 50 (Dec. 6-12) sales.

With a company as long as a history as Falcom they do seem to have a knack for reading the market all wrong, jeez....

They're in for bad times if they continue with the "we cooler with Playstation" mentality.
They aren't, infact they said that the PlayStation market has gone dull(it was a harsh way to address it in Japanese) but they already had the next game in the pipeline already and they don't have the manpower to divert resources so it will just be a PS4/PS5 game to start.

However criticism should be raised on how they waited until the ship left the port to make these changes. Now they will have to spend years building an audience on switch/switch 2 and they may never fully recover their previous highs

They aren't, infact they said that the PlayStation market has gone dull(it was a harsh way to address it in Japanese) but they already had the next game in the pipeline already and they don't have the manpower to divert resources so it will just be a PS4/PS5 game to start.

However criticism should be raised on how they waited until the ship left the port to make these changes. Now they will have to spend years building an audience on switch/switch 2 and they may never fully recover their previous highs

They did have the money and manpower for Vita games internally developed to launch alongside PS4 tho back in the days.

It's a little tough to understand the argument when they never really tried it, it feels like their mindset wouldn't change regardless of the situation: if Playstation is flying high in Japan, they'll expand support for their platforms, if Sony is at a low point, they'd rather invest less than try elsewhere.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter all that much, they're all competing for our attentions so someone else will feed the JRPG audience on Switch whether is Marvelous, Koei Tecmo, Nintendo itself or Square, but you look at Falcom games, and you look at the Switch audience and you'd think it's such a perfect fit. Granted with better ports (Ys IX on Switch has issues even in areas it should run fine)

If it didn't happen with Matsuyama it would happen with something else.
considering how sony-bound Resetera is, the MC threads was a ticking bomb because some of the staff there just didn't want to have a thread opened every single week where PlayStation was being bashed left and right due to the lack of support Sony gives to Japan and the lack of support Japanese public is starting to give Sony.

As you said, if it wasn't for that interview, it would be something else.

I liked it better when the PlayStation was more successful. Then it felt more brave to stand behind Nintendo.
With that situation Nintendo might get to relaxed again. So I do hope Sony gets it's parts together and start releasing some games for the PS5 that are worth owning one. I don't feel tempted at all to buy one.
I did too.
It's not healthy for a market to be so dependent on a single company as the game market in Japan is right now.

Plus, Nintendo is better when they have tough competition, so yeah, I hope they don't get relaxed.

They did have the money and manpower for Vita games internally developed to launch alongside PS4 tho back in the days.

It's a little tough to understand the argument when they never really tried it, it feels like their mindset wouldn't change regardless of the situation: if Playstation is flying high in Japan, they'll expand support for their platforms, if Sony is at a low point, they'd rather invest less than try elsewhere.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter all that much, they're all competing for our attentions so someone else will feed the JRPG audience on Switch whether is Marvelous, Koei Tecmo, Nintendo itself or Square, but you look at Falcom games, and you look at the Switch audience and you'd think it's such a perfect fit. Granted with better ports (Ys IX on Switch has issues even in areas it should run fine)
The fact that they are openly saying they're going to support switch and berate PlayStation should be reason enough that porting is outside their means right now, they are making this game with atleast PS4 in mind on a engine they developed for PS5 (lol) it's a little bit more work than a vita

I liked it better when the PlayStation was more successful. Then it felt more brave to stand behind Nintendo.
With that situation Nintendo might get to relaxed again. So I do hope Sony gets it's parts together and start releasing some games for the PS5 that are worth owning one. I don't feel tempted at all to buy one.

Arrogant Nintendo incoming !

And you all mocked me. Look at this base getting ready to turn.

With how successful Momotaro Dentestu and Mario Party games have been in Japan(and even Clubhouse Games tho not as big) I am surprised there has been no Fortune Street announced for the Switch.

It's not a mystery that the MC threads were controversial or why. Basically the same reason Mochizuki's reporting on PlayStation was controversial.

Of course the vast majority of the criticisms for PlayStation, and surrounding entities like Falcom have been vindicated over the last year or two.

With how successful Momotaro Dentestu and Mario Party games have been in Japan(and even Clubhouse Games tho not as big) I am surprised there has been no Fortune Street announced for the Switch.
This really is surprising yes. The last one is like 4 years ago already. I think a new Itadaki-game would do really well on Switch.

It's not a mystery that the MC threads were controversial or why. Basically the same reason Mochizuki's reporting on PlayStation was controversial.

Of course the vast majority of the criticisms for PlayStation, and surrounding entities like Falcom have been vindicated over the last year or two.
Yeah. I only lurked those threads, but you could sew mood change through the years. You could go to other threads and see comments saying stuff like “don’t let Media Create threads see this” when it has something to do with Sony. Which was always amusing cause mods would always say no thread drama and let those comments go all the time lol.

Tho I honestly didn’t think it would be the direct stupidity of a mod to make it blow-over.

Yeah the lack of Fortune Street on Switch is a bit weird since Dragon Quest is all in.

Falcom had all the qualities to be successful on Switch. They should have thrived. The Switch was a high-end portable which is a space Falcom was comfortable working in. Their games focus on content and characters rather than high-end bleeding edge graphics. But with sticking to only Playstation, they are know trapped on a system that is diminishing in the territory their games have traditionally done well in and now they need to directly complete with high-budget RPGs like Final Fantasy 7 Remake.

Yeah the lack of Fortune Street on Switch is a bit weird since Dragon Quest is all in.
I wonder if it's just down to them not being able to find a dev team they like with the work quality to build the game. I have to wonder if some games simply don't appear because of this and resources get allocated to what's available.

Square Enix released an Itadaki Street in 2017... on PS4/Vita.

Yeah. I only lurked those threads, but you could sew mood change through the years. You could go to other threads and see comments saying stuff like “don’t let Media Create threads see this” when it has something to do with Sony. Which was always amusing cause mods would always say no thread drama and let those comments go all the time lol.

Tho I honestly didn’t think it would be the direct stupidity of a mod to make it blow-over.

The thing is it's only recently been so lopsided. The thread had always been brutally honest about Wii U, and other troubled platforms.

I wonder if it's just down to them not being able to find a dev team they like with the work quality to build the game. I have to wonder if some games simply don't appear because of this and resources get allocated to what's available.
I mean even a port of the 2017 release that @Oregano mentioned would suffice.

It's just so damn strange for a company to effectively abandon a country that's (IIRC) second only to the USA as a national video game market.

Sony seem to have this bizarre notion that appealing to Japan and the West are mutually exclusive, and that they had to choose the bigger of the two, while Nintendo and even PS themselves in prior generations have proven you can have both.

PS1 and PS2 dominated Japan and the West, but starting with the PS3 and increasingly ever since their systems have turned further and further from their homeland, until we finally reach the almost comical situation we're in now.

The transition from PS4 to PS5 has kinda created the illusion that this happened almost overnight, but really it was a gradual process that's been fermenting over well over a decade now.

In my twisted view of the situation, xbox is the traditional home of "western" videogames, which derived from pc industry , while Playstation comes from the japanese one. Different philosophy, different ways to consider the way of making games. In Japan, platform holders were making the hardware, Nintendo was doing for themselves first, while sony was doing this in collaboration with the third parties.
This model worked well for them until the HD generation, when the PS3 exotic hardware began to be problematic. Many japanese devs began to turn to xbox360 for their main versions, releasing PS3 ports.
I think that at that time, the 2 view points began to fight within Sony, with one wanting to become more like xbox ecosystem and the other deeply attached to their japanese ways. The former gained power and became even more strong with ps4, while the latter somehow failed with vita and lost even more influence within the company.

That's how I imagine the movie, in a very simplified way.

Last edited:
I would love another Fortune Street, preferably with the Mario crossover again! The most fantastic part about the Mario crossover is how much the Mario characters talked, even Mario himself (who usually lacks any text dialogue and if he does, Toad does the talking). Plus, there are a few new Mario characters who would benefit from it like Toadette and Pauline.

Thank you for reading.

It's looking like Sony did send some PS5 stock to Japan. Whether or not it shows in next week's is an open question but it's looking less likely that Phil gets that dub. Definitely helps get the Install Base Prediction League back on track though.

It's looking like Sony did send some PS5 stock to Japan. Whether or not it shows in next week's is an open question but it's looking less likely that Phil gets that dub. Definitely helps get the Install Base Prediction League back on track though.
I'm gonna assume we'll see a 10x increase for PS5. Xbox won't come close

10x this week still won't be much, here's hoping for at least 20x.

that gamble is blowing up on their face Looney Toons style
I don't really think Sony's approach to the Japanese market (or lack thereof) can be considered a gamble, it's something that's been happening for many years now. I kind of doubt it's much of a surprise to anyone at Sony itself.

I don't really think Sony's approach to the Japanese market (or lack thereof) can be considered a gamble, it's something that's been happening for many years now. I kind of doubt it's much of a surprise to anyone at Sony itself.
its been obvious they were splitting up towards a more global approach, yes, but getting into 4 digits sales within the 1st year, thats a new kind of BAD, not even WiiU crashed that fast.
and the most common excuse/ explanation is "they are giving priority to Western/ USA market" which is a hard "errrrrr" when you see NPD and sales figures there too.

its been obvious they were splitting up towards a more global approach, yes, but getting into 4 digits sales within the 1st year, thats a new kind of BAD, not even WiiU crashed that fast.
and the most common excuse/ explanation is "they are giving priority to Western/ USA market" which is a hard "errrrrr" when you see NPD and sales figures there too.
I don't know, I kind of disagree with this narrative, it's obviously not doing as well as it could but I feel that's like almost entirely due to stock issues more than anything. I haven't owned a Sony console since the PS3 so I'm not really tracking anything but from what I hear it's basically selling out faster than they could hope to provide the thing, the demand for it is probably there.

I don't know, I kind of disagree with this narrative, it's obviously not doing as well as it could but I feel that's like almost entirely due to stock issues more than anything. I haven't owned a Sony console since the PS3 so I'm not really tracking anything but from what I hear it's basically selling out faster than they could hope to provide the thing, the demand for it is probably there.
This is definitely more of a supply than a demand issue, but regardless PS5 is doing terrible numbers, and it will affect the Japanese video game ecosystem in a huge way, because third-party devs can’t rely on the PS5 install base if they do want to earn money.

The software attach ratio for the PS5 is supposedly appallingly low, though, something like 0.4, which does not suggest a healthy market,

This is definitely more of a supply than a demand issue, but regardless PS5 is doing terrible numbers, and it will affect the Japanese video game ecosystem in a huge way, because third-party devs can’t rely on the PS5 install base if they do want to earn money.

The software attach ratio for the PS5 is supposedly appallingly low, though, something like 0.4, which does not suggest a healthy market,

It is, no PS5 software has crossed the 100k threshold at this point which is normally crossed at launch.

Of course there is PS4 software BC but PS4 software sales have also seen a massive decline this year.

It is, no PS5 software has crossed the 100k threshold at this point which is normally crossed at launch.

Of course there is PS4 software BC but PS4 software sales have also seen a massive decline this year.
Even used PS4 games sales have gone down.

Back
Top Bottom