• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data Famitsu week 45 (Nov 1-7): Mario Party Superstars 81.3k, PS4 COD Vanguard 28.3k, Danganronpa Decadence 20.9k

Abzeronow

Koopa
Pronouns
he/him

1. Mario Party Superstars 81.399/244,655
2. PS4 Call of Duty Vanguard 28,321
3. NSW Danganronpa Decadence + Danganronpa S: Ultimate Summer Camp 20,938
4. Ring Fit Adventure 13,101/2,896,232
5. PS5 Call of Duty Vanguard 12,754
6. NSW Fortnite Minty Legends Pack 12,167
7. NSW Super Robot Wars 30 12,079/82,928
8. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 10,726/4,123,374
9. Super Smash Brothers Ultimate 10,569/4,489,510
10. NSW Fatal Frame Maiden of Black Water 9,778/30,364

Hardware
Switch family: 90,517 (this week), 4,431,351 (YTD)
*OG Switch 45,880 (this week) 3,079,119 (YTD)
*Switch Lite 23,017 (this week) 1,067,735 (YTD)
*Switch OLED 21,620 (this week) 284,497 (YTD)

PS5 (all varieties) 10,120 (this week) 912,878 (YTD)
Xbox Series 2,593 (this week), 84,698 (YTD)
PS4 (all varieties) 709 (this week) 102,059 (YTD)

SWOLED stock is pining for the fjords, Xbox might catch up to PS4 family for the year by the holidays and Ring Fit Adventure had a huge jump (some stock must have come in). COD can't stop the Mario Party.

Vanguard did even worse than I thought it would. Western franchises that have typically done well are going to suffer a lot.

For comparison , danganronpa 1+2 reload on PS4 did 3880 units when that launched in 2017 according to famitsu.

Damn. I guess the extra new content/game was definitely worth the investment.

All in all it's been a good week for Nintendo
Yeah, OLED stock right now is very low though but it seems like the stock for Switch version of Fatal Frame was a good idea after all. Retailers might need to get more stock if FF keeps holding.

Good week for Microsoft too: Xbox Series has passed Xbox One LTD in Japan.

EDIT: added link to tweet showing that

Last edited:
It makes perfect sense as to why western series were much stronger in the early PS4 gen compared to how they’ve effectively cratered now, but man is it still stark to see.

Switch outsells all other systems combined by more than 6:1 and its nearest rival by 9:1.

Congrats to XS for passing its predecessor so quickly.

Very poor numbers for COD

It makes perfect sense as to why western series were much stronger in the early PS4 gen compared to how they’ve effectively cratered now, but man is it still stark to see.
Apex is doing very well. it's probably doing very well on PS4/5 too

Famitsu Week 45 Top 30
Top 30: https://nintendoeverything.com/famitsu-software-sales-11-1-21-11-7-21-top-30/

1. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars – 81,399 / 244,655
2. [PS4] Call of Duty: Vanguard – 28,321 / NEW
3. [NSW] Danganronpa Decadence – 20,938 / NEW
4. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure – 13,101 / 2,896,232
5. [PS5] Call of Duty: Vanguard – 12,754 / NEW
6. [NSW] Fortnite Minty Legends Pack – 12,167 / NEW
7. [NSW] Super Robot Wars 30 – 12,079 / 82,928
8. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 10,726 / 4,123,374
9. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 10,569 / 4,489,510
10. [NSW] Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water – 9,778 / 30,364

11. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 9,453 / 6,925,254
12. [NSW] Minecraft – 8,960 / 2,260,794
13. [PS4] Super Robot Wars 30 – 8,342 / 68,728
14. [NSW] Pokemon Sword/Shield – 6,493 / 4,182,871
15. [PS4] Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba – The Hinokami Chronicles – 5,130 / 125,326
16. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! – 4,777 / 2,413,752
17. [PS4] Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water – 4,135 / 26,331
18. [NSW] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury – 4,085 / 915,917
19. [NSW] Metroid Dread – 3,756 / 128,257
20. [NSW] WarioWare: Get It Together! – 2,948 / 160,778
21. [PS4] Back 4 Blood – 2,922 / 25,173
22. [NSW] Model Debut 2 #nicola – 2,568 / NEW
23. [NSW] Tokimeki Memorial Girl’s Side 4th Heart – 2,644 / 24,319
24. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics – 2,618 / 823,501
25. [PS4] FIFA 22 – 2,469 / 45,058
26. [NSW] Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot + A New Power Awakens Set – 2,377 / 69,449
27. [NSW] Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 2,332 / 1,891,166
28. [NSW] Splatoon 2 – 2,236 / 3,963,497
29. [PS5] Back 4 Blood – 2,118 / 72,761
30. [NSW] Oshiri Tantei: Pupu Mirai no Meitantei Toujou! – 2,071 / NEW

NS - 22
PS4 - 6
PS5 - 2

I'm surprised to see Fatal Frame on Switch have a better hold than the PS4 version! Both aren't too far off from each other though. I could see the next Fatal Frame (if there is a next one) be multiplatform again.

I'm surprised to see Fatal Frame on Switch have a better hold than the PS4 version! Both aren't too far off from each other though. I could see the next Fatal Frame (if there is a next one) be multiplatform again.
not too surprising methinks. the Switch version also has more stock too

Dread still in the top 20 nearly a month from release, never would have figured that would happen prior to release.

I'm starting to think they're going to keep replies hidden to non-registered guests permanently. Hope I'm wrong.
No, at some point the site will go public.

Those who still wait to register apparently have priority before the site opens to everyone.

According to Game Data Library on Twitter, Vanguard has the lowest Japanese debut in the series since COD3 in 2006.

Anyone know how long it takes to get your account approved on Install Base? Mine's been "Awaiting approval by an administrator" for like... 3-4 weeks now, I think

Why wouldn't it? The series has effectively been Nintendo exclusive for the second half of its life.

Anyone know how long it takes to get your account approved on Install Base? Mine's been "Awaiting approval by an administrator" for like... 3-4 weeks now, I think
At the beginning of November they still had 400+ in the queue and they approve about 20 a day. I know they go chronologically as far as when the request was made. Hopefully you'll be approved sometime in the next few weeks.

Third party multiplats often sell better on Switch than Playstation in Japan.

As to the next game, Nintendo partly owns the IP so its up to them if its exclusive or not.
Personally, I don't mind if it's exclusive to Switch or multiplatform so long as it happens at all; the series hasn't had strong sales and I really, really wanna see it continue as 2 and 4 are some of my top horror games ever.

It could also be multiplat even if Nintendo owned it, as Fatal Frame Maiden of Black Water now is, although an exclusive is more likely.
Either way, the series producer has said the continuation of the series depends on Nintendo: https://www.dualshockers.com/fatal-frame-return-nintendo/
that comment was made before they pushed FF5 to multiplat. I don't think they'll be so reliant on Nintendo if 5 does well enough

that comment was made before they pushed FF5 to multiplat. I don't think they'll be so reliant on Nintendo if 5 does well enough
FF5's rerelease doesn't seem to be the kind of big hit that would inspire them to rethink funding a whole new entry themselves. It's doing okay, but if they can get Nintendo to fund it again that would seem the more likely path forwards.

Why wouldn't it? The series has effectively been Nintendo exclusive for the second half of its life.

I figured it would be about even; there's plenty of Fatal Frame fans with PlayStation systems too! But perhaps all the exclusive entries on Nintendo consoles has carved a somewhat bigger niche.

FF5's rerelease doesn't seem to be the kind of big hit that would inspire them to rethink funding a whole new entry themselves. It's doing okay, but if they can get Nintendo to fund it again that would seem the more likely path forwards.

I was going to comment on the ownership of the series, but that's already been done! I think a multiplatform release is very possible without Nintendo. While this release isn't a huge seller, it does show there's still a sizable Fatal Frame audience on PlayStation. If Nintendo is willing to fund another exclusive entry, great! But perhaps this release in general is a sign that KT is interested in making the series multiplatform again, one way or the other.

I was going to comment on the ownership of the series, but that's already been done! I think a multiplatform release is very possible without Nintendo. While this release isn't a huge seller, it does show there's still a sizable Fatal Frame audience on PlayStation. If Nintendo is willing to fund another exclusive entry, great! But perhaps this release in general is a sign that KT is interested in making the series multiplatform again, one way or the other.
With FF5 the game was already made, with Nintendo's money, so porting it to other platforms was a low risk proposition.
Funding a brand new entry on their own is a significantly bigger risk, especially when the series has never been a big seller and modern games are more expensive to make than ever.
I mean, it's definitely possible, and could happen for sure, but I just think they're more likely to try to seek out Nintendo's funding again.

Last edited:
With FF5 the game was already made, with Nintendo's money, so porting it to other platforms was a low risk proposition.
Funding a brand new entry on their own is a significantly bigger risk, especially when the series has never been a big seller and modern games are more expensive to make than ever.
I mean, it's definitely possible, and could happen for sure, but I just think they're more likely to try to seek out Nintendo's funding again.

Of course a brand new entry is a bigger risk, but there's also the potential for a greater return. We also have to consider if Nintendo even wants to fund the series anymore; this port isn't even published by Nintendo on Switch. It's entirely possible that they're not interested in funding further entries. I think the fact that this release is multiplatform definitely shows that KT at least want the series to be multiplatform again; whether they'll be able to do so in the future is something that remains to be seen.

Of course a brand new entry is a bigger risk, but there's also the potential for a greater return. We also have to consider if Nintendo even wants to fund the series anymore; this port isn't even published by Nintendo on Switch. It's entirely possible that they're not interested in funding further entries. I think the fact that this release is multiplatform definitely shows that KT at least want the series to be multiplatform again; whether they'll be able to do so in the future is something that remains to be seen.
FF5's rerelease, while its done fine for an older port, hasn't exactly set the charts on fire, so I remain skeptical of a brand new multiplatform entry funded by KT. But I guess only time will tell. I just hope the series continues at all.

It will all depends. If Nintendo consider that Fatal Frame is still important for their game catalogue future. Koei is not going to move away from free money there.

Koei has been having a huge amount of project with Nintendo and many is big money maker like AoC. Going solo with all the risk on themselves is not a good way to retain good relation with the biggest market holder in japan atm.

Back
Top Bottom