• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data Famitsu Week 17, 2022 sales (Apr. 18-24)

Abzeronow

Koopa
Pronouns
he/him

1. NSW eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 92,724
2. PS4 eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 54,539
3. Kirby and the Forgotten Land 29,281/618,481
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 11,872/4,579,625
5. NSW Yomawari 3 11,129
6. Minecraft 7,841/2,612,444
7. Super Smash Brothers Ultimate 6,372/4,853,533
8. PS4 Hyperdimension Neptunia : Sisters vs Sisters 6,268
9. NSW 13 Sentinels : Aegis Rim 6,017/33,216
10. NSW Pocky & Rocky Reshrined 5,747

The Switch has a considerable lead on Konami's new baseball game, Kirby passes 600,000, Nep Sisters makes its only appearance in the Top 10 and 13 Sentinels holds for another week in Top 10.

Hardware:
Switch family (includes OLED Lite and OG) 57,490 (this week), 1,603,715 (YTD)
Switch OLED 32,916 (this week), 847,534 (YTD)
PS5 (all varieties) 17,681 (this week), 345,012 (YTD)
Xbox Series 6,025 (this week), 55,876 (YTD)

Another gentile decline for the Switch, OLED did better this week. PS5 supply looking stable in Japan for now, another good week for Xbox.

To compare performance: (used Joseki post in IB for 13S numbers)
2022:
01./00. [NSW] eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2022 <SPT> (Konami) {2022.04.21} (¥7.500) - 92.724 / NEW
02./00. [PS4] eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2022 <SPT> (Konami) {2022.04.21} (¥7.500) - 54.539 / NEW
2020:
[NSW] eBaseball Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2020 (Konami, 07/09/20) – 94,876
[PS4] eBaseball Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2020 (Konami, 07/09/20) – 91,547

2022: (Switch port)
09./02. [NSW] 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim <ADV> (Atlus) {2022.04.14} (¥6.980) - 6.017 / 33.216 (-78%)
2020: (PS4 original release)
19./04. [PS4] 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim # <ADV> (Atlus) {2019.11.28} (¥8.980) - 4.770 / 39.378 <60-80%> (-86%)

Taking a look at Install Base, the Switch is only 70k units away of 3DS, only one week or 2 left for the Switch to outsell the 3DS for once and all.

If I'm not wrong, tomorrow begins Golden Week, so we could expect this already to happen this week.

Seeing 13 Sentinels have a softer drop than it did on PS4 is amazing. I hope it continues to have strong legs!

Go go 13 Sentinels! Neptunia though, damn that's gotta hurt... Compile Heart is not happy about that.

I'm really wondering if Switch is declining or also supply constrained.
Its the slowest season of the year outside the next two couple of weeks that they are holidays.That’s the reason for the ‘low’ sales of both Switch hardware (PS5/Xbox dont sell enough to be affected by it) and non new software sales .

Also ‘low’ Switch sales are still triple what the 3DS was selling in It’s sixth year and more than also DS/GBA in their sixth year and higher than in 2019. Its selling like a new console just that numbers seem low due to how crazy Switch numbers have been since late 2019.

hardware will continue to decline until a more powerful model comes, whatever form that it takes

Was there no PS5 version of eBaseball because that 50% drop on PS4 without a PS5 to make up the difference is kinda damning of the PS situation right now

PS5 would not have saved the PS version. nearly every PS5 version is under the PS4 version
Well yes, but that wasn't my point. Part of the problem Japan is having with PS5 is that a lot of the stock is going to other regions. Or was at one point, I'm not sure if that's still true or not. One of the things I've personally been paying attention to (informally, I'm not making spreadsheets or anything) is trying to suss out how many PS5s are actually going to Japanese consumers and looking at the software sales is probably the only way to do that currently. I was asking if a PS5 version exists because I didn't see one on the chart and that's the sort of title that should've cleared the 5K bar set by Pocky & Rocky.

But I also forgot that PS5 is backwards compatible with PS4 software so that's especially problematic I think because it basically means interest in the PS version is significantly down from 2 years ago or people are selling off their PS4s and not replacing them with a PS5. They're also not going to Switch since there's not a corresponding bump in the Switch numbers (or they sold through the entire stock for the first week).

Famitsu Week 17, 2022 Top 30 (Apr. 18-24)
Top 30: https://nintendoeverything.com/famitsu-software-sales-4-18-22-4-24-22-top-30/

1. [NSW] eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2022 – 92,724 / NEW
2. [PS4] eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2022 – 54,539 / NEW
3. [NSW] Kirby and the Forgotten Land – 29,281 / 618,481
4. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 11,872 / 4,579,625
5. [NSW] Yomawari 3 – 11,129 / NEW
6. [NSW] Minecraft – 7,841 / 2,612,444
7. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 6,372 / 4,853,533
8. [PS4] Hyperdimension Neptunia: Sisters vs. Sisters – 6,268 / NEW
9. [NSW] 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim – 6,017 / 33,216
10. [NSW] Pocky & Rocky Reshrined – 5,747 / NEW
11. [NSW] Pokemon Legends: Arceus – 5,402 / 2,228,522
12. [PS4] Yomawari 3 – 5,154 / NEW
13. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure – 5,038 / 3,127,579
14. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars – 4,970 / 943,087
15. [NSW] Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 4,168 / 2,007,541
16. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 3,824 / 7,237,844
17. [PS5] Hyperdimension Neptunia: Sisters vs. Sisters – 3,807 / NEW
18. [PS4] Elden Ring – 3,590 / 331,802
19. [NSW] New Pokemon Snap – 3,201 / 340,334
20. [NSW] World War Z – 2,979 / NEW
21. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! – 2,812 / 2,643,440
22. [NSW] Splatoon 2 – 2,622 / 4,066,047
23. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics – 2,437 / 965,452
24. [NSW] Monster Hunter Rise Best Price – 2,433 / 49,205
25. [NSW] Winning Eleven 9 2022 – 2,270 / 14,974
26. [PS4] Pocky & Rocky Reshrined – 2,014 / NEW
27. [PS4] Winning Eleven 9 2022 – 1,730 / 11,151
28. [NSW] Battle Spirits: Connected Battlers – 1,524 / 12,288
29. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield – 1,441 / 4,334,864
30. [NSW] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury – 1,437 / 1,042,077

NS - 23
PS4 - 6
PS5 - 1

Last edited:
No numbers today. Switch Sports looking really good as far as numbers. If they combine weeks, looks like another 100k Switches at least.

So these really are being shipped out of the country. I wonder if it's done by shops or scalpers.
both. scalpers who use digital stores, and shops who put them in their own stores. there have been pictures of middlemen standing outside with stacks of PS5s awaiting pickup in japan. shit's crazy

No numbers today. Switch Sports looking really good as far as numbers. If they combine weeks, looks like another 100k Switches at least.
I asked in IB and they told me probably we are going to get combined top 10 + hardware sales combined at first but later both top 30 seperated. 100k would be awful numbers between two weeks during Golden Week though I expect at least 130-140k (60+80k week at worst)

both. scalpers who use digital stores, and shops who put them in their own stores. there have been pictures of middlemen standing outside with stacks of PS5s awaiting pickup in japan. shit's crazy
The low software sales and unknown hardware numbers are part of what make me scratch my head with the rumored Sony acquisition of SE. On the one hand, making Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Nier, and numerous small JRPGs Sony exclusives seems big. However, that would be a huge hit to Japanese sales.

It seems so much more cost-effective to pay for exclusivity for a few games. Sony could lock down the high production, premium games that they want to drive system sales.

The low software sales and unknown hardware numbers are part of what make me scratch my head with the rumored Sony acquisition of SE. On the one hand, making Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Nier, and numerous small JRPGs Sony exclusives seems big. However, that would be a huge hit to Japanese sales.

It seems so much more cost-effective to pay for exclusivity for a few games. Sony could lock down the high production, premium games that they want to drive system sales.

Hopefully if Sony ends up buying SE, dragon quest 3 hd 2d had been released, so I can buy it on switch.

if Sony buys SE, hope it's either Sony Group or SME
This would maybe make more sense to me, if the purchase was part of a multimedia effort to use the Final Fantasy IP that was going to be offered to every platform. My sense of the Herman Hulsts and Jim Ryans of the world is that they'd look at the rest of SE's catalogue and wonder aloud if anyone cared that much beyond Dragon Quest.

If Sony buys SE, almost everything except FF will die. Team Asano games, DQ series, the smaller remakes/remasters all will die. Only the big budget titles will probably remain, and even those will probably sell very bad in the long run besides FF and perhaps Nier.

If Sony buys SE, almost everything except FF will die. Team Asano games, DQ series, the smaller remakes/remasters all will die. Only the big budget titles will probably remain, and even those will probably sell very bad in the long run besides FF and perhaps Nier.
DQ would be hardpressed to die given the way the ownership is setup. Sony would probably push the game to be more western friendly. and if that didn't work, give it a shoestring budget

Sorry if my post is in the wrong thread, is Chris posting anymore?
He posts in Installbase MC threads, Installbase is another forum that's for sale discussion only. ( link )

You forget also KH and a lot of these franchises dying depend on how SE is integrated, if it becomes a new branch of SIE/Sony with high autonomy they could easily keep pushing for smaller titles trying to get an audience in PC/PS4 which it has shown to work even if Switch/PC is a lot better for AA and smaller JRPGs. SIE would only really care about KH/FF though and Nier if it proves to have high sales potential outside of Automata.

DQ would be hardpressed to die given the way the ownership is setup. Sony would probably push the game to be more western friendly. and if that didn't work, give it a shoestring budget
They can't make it "western friendly" without removing Toriyama as the art director. His style isn't something that the mainstream audience would appreciate.

If SE gets acquired by Sony, there would be a talent exodus and on top of that Sony would shut down divisions and layoff awful lot of people. Let's hope that nightmare never happens.

They can't make it "western friendly" without removing Toriyama as the art director. His style isn't something that the mainstream audience would appreciate.

If SE gets acquired by Sony, there would be a talent exodus and on top of that Sony would shut down divisions and layoff awful lot of people. Let's hope that nightmare never happens.
I wasn't speaking about artistically. I still don't believe in the "toriyama art is unappealing in the west". DQ is just not an interesting game for a broad audience. if they changed up the gameplay and the theming, I think the west would be more receptive

I wasn't speaking about artistically. I still don't believe in the "toriyama art is unappealing in the west". DQ is just not an interesting game for a broad audience. if they changed up the gameplay and the theming, I think the west would be more receptive
No JRPG is. But DQ is still selling below its potential in west. If you want to garner broader attention, artstyle and the theme should be first to change. Western teen audience is a hard nut to crack.

The issue is that action RPGs are what like west likes, and I don't know if Japanese Dragon Quest fans would be receptive to a change from turn-based. I suppose ATB might be a acceptable middle ground but I don't know if either Western audiences or Japanese audiences will feel that way.

The issue is that action RPGs are what like west likes, and I don't know if Japanese Dragon Quest fans would be receptive to a change from turn-based. I suppose ATB might be a acceptable middle ground but I don't know if either Western audiences or Japanese audiences will feel that way.
Pokemon is turn based and the battle system is so loved that it has a community dedicated to PvP matches that alone is bigger than 95% of games.

Traditional JRPGs with an action battle system dont even do that well in the West nowadays as a genre outside FF (which could be a cooking simulator and would still do great) and maybe Tales Of has had recent success, if DQ went the ARPG way it would be still a traditional JRPG just with action battle system which wouldnt boost that much sales due to being traditional in every other aspect . Only ARPGs that do great in the West are the ones who follow non-traditional style like MH/Nier and FromSoft titles, and as you would expect DQ aint going that way ever.

I think DQ really only sells as well as it does in the West because of Nintendo so I’d rather Square Enix stayed out of Sony’s thing.

DQXI sold more than 2 Millions units in the West, it's not THAT bad for a traditional turn based JRPG.

At least we have this (s/o oregano for posting it in IB)
190k is amazing for such a title especially being cheaper digital

This is the kind of game where the people who want it will probably go for a physical copy. That's a big start though, this is going to sell really well.

At least we have this (s/o oregano for posting it in IB)
190k is amazing for such a title especially being cheaper digital

Describing 190k as 'just short' of 354k is a little strange, unless I'm missing something.

edit: ahh, of course, digital share wasn't a thing for Wii.

This is the kind of game where the people who want it will probably go for a physical copy. That's a big start though, this is going to sell really well.
Not sure about this. The game was the number one eshop game for April in most markets. And it came out on April 29. Also many people already own the leg strap so no need for the more expensive physical copy.

This is the kind of game that people who want it will probably go for a physical copy. That's a big start though, this is going to sell really well.
Momotaro already proved that casual audience in Japan buys digital games and in this case it should helped even more by being cheaper to buy digitally.

Switch Sports had a great debut. Switch sales were at least 75k for the week as well. (I don't have enough information to start a new Famitsu thread yet,)

Back
Top Bottom