• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Famitsu Week 11, 2023 sales (Mar. 6-12)

Famitsu Sales: Week 11, 2023 (Mar 06 - Mar 12)

SOFTWARE

01./01. [NSW] Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe <ACT> (Nintendo) {2023.02.24} (¥5.980) - 32.132 / 283.744 (-49%)
02./03. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Violet # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2022.11.18} (¥5.980) - 20.889 / 4.929.287 (-15%)
03./06. [NSW] Splatoon 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2022.09.09} (¥5.980) - 15.861 / 3.934.627 (+7%)
04./00. [NSW] Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse # <ADV> (Koei Tecmo) {2023.03.09} (¥5.800) - 10.712 / NEW
05./09. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 10.430 / 5.194.090 (+1%)
06./00. [NSW] Ib # <ADV> (Playism) {2023.03.09} (¥3.618) - 9.080 / NEW
07./00. [PS4] Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse <ADV> (Koei Tecmo) {2023.03.09} (¥5.800) - 9.031 / NEW
08./08. [PS5] Hogwarts Legacy # <RPG> (WB Games) {2023.02.10} (¥8.980) - 9.017 / 148.552 (-33%)
09./02. [PS5] Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2023.03.03} (¥7.800) - 8.411 / 38.543 (-72%)
10./07. [NSW] Octopath Traveler II <RPG> (Square Enix) {2023.02.24} (¥7.091) - 7.739 / 75.819 (-45%)

Top 10

NSW - 7
PS5 - 2
PS4 - 1

HARDWARE

CQvDaZw.jpg

If Switch keeps trending this way then year 7 will still outperform years 1 and 2, which is pretty good, though the system is clearly on the way out now.

A lot depends on Nintendo's plans for the second half and the timing for a successor.

Hang in there, Octopath!

I think it is just going to have long legs below the threshold to make it into Top 10 each week. Given that the digital ratio is probably substantially higher for OT2 than it was for OT1, the launch window sales for the two were probably close, but OT1 just sold and sold and sold until it cruised past the 3M mark.

OT2 likely had a way higher development budget but it is probably in the ballpark of break even by now and is just going to accrue sales over the next few years on the glowing word of mouth.

Attempting to guess digital ratios or platform ratios is hard, and there's no consistency. OT1 had about 15% of its sales on PC, despite coming out a full year after the Steam version, while TriStrat only had about 5% despite coming only 6 months later.

I think it is just going to have long legs below the threshold to make it into Top 10 each week. Given that the digital ratio is probably substantially higher for OT2 than it was for OT1, the launch window sales for the two were probably close, but OT1 just sold and sold and sold until it cruised past the 3M mark.

OT2 likely had a way higher development budget but it is probably in the ballpark of break even by now and is just going to accrue sales over the next few years on the glowing word of mouth.

Attempting to guess digital ratios or platform ratios is hard, and there's no consistency. OT1 had about 15% of its sales on PC, despite coming out a full year after the Steam version, while TriStrat only had about 5% despite coming only 6 months later.
I doubt digital was that high because it's not a budget price game and since it's not a first party release, it's not a part of the voucher program.

Really happy to see it seems to have some legs at least, but I hope it fares a lot better in the west.

I doubt digital was that high because it's not a budget price game and since it's not a first party release, it's not a part of the voucher program.

Really happy to see it seems to have some legs at least, but I hope it fares a lot better in the west.

Still, Switch digital ratio is higher now than it was in 2018, PS4/5 digital ratio is higher than Switch, and PC is 100% digital. So looking at just Switch physical and comparing it to 2018 Switch digital leaves out a lot of the story.

Steam looks like it is around ~100K so far with a lot of guess work involved, which probably tracks to around 1M total, or about what OT1 was at a month after launch. If that isn't the case, that means Steam was a larger chunk of the sales than usual despite the game also being PS this time around.

Either way, "hard to predict legs" seems like the MO for most Japanese RPGs these days. Nothing about OT1, Nier 2, or DQ11's first weeks or months would have suggested them going on to be among SE's best selling games.

Still, Switch digital ratio is higher now than it was in 2018, PS4/5 digital ratio is higher than Switch, and PC is 100% digital. So looking at just Switch physical and comparing it to 2018 Switch digital leaves out a lot of the story.

Steam looks like it is around ~100K so far with a lot of guess work involved, which probably tracks to around 1M total, or about what OT1 was at a month after launch. If that isn't the case, that means Steam was a larger chunk of the sales than usual despite the game also being PS this time around.

Either way, "hard to predict legs" seems like the MO for most Japanese RPGs these days. Nothing about OT1, Nier 2, or DQ11's first weeks or months would have suggested them going on to be among SE's best selling games.
Oh I was just talking about on Switch in Japan, WW will definitely have a larger digital split if you're counting all platforms of course.

Octopath 1 was very supply constrained in Japan during its entire run, so it likely has a digital ratio that far exceeds Octopath 2’s.

That being said, Octopath 2 is holding very well and I think word of mouth will carry it decently far.

Octopath 2 seems supply constrained too given that here in the Philippines it's sold out in many places. It sold out along Metroid Prime Remastered. Never seen another game sell out before here for Switch.

Octopath 2 seems supply constrained too given that here in the Philippines it's sold out in many places. It sold out along Metroid Prime Remastered. Never seen another game sell out before here for Switch.
I was referring to just Japan. The sell through for Octopath 2 hasn’t indicated supply constraints.

Back
Top Bottom