• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Famitsu Sales Week 44, 2023 (Oct. 23-29)

Credit: Chris1964

Famitsu Sales: Week 44, 2023 (Oct 23 - Oct 29)

01./01. [NSW] Super Mario Bros. Wonder <ACT> (Nintendo) {2023.10.20} (¥5.980) - 163.176 / 801.810 (-74%)
02./00. [NSW] Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol.1 <ADV> (Konami) {2023.10.24} (¥6.800) - 19.330 / NEW
03./00. [PS5] Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol.1 <ADV> (Konami) {2023.10.24} (¥6.800) - 13.717 / NEW
04./02. [PS5] Marvel's Spider-Man 2 # <ACT> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2023.10.20} (¥8.164) - 12.509 / 89.857 (-84%)
05./03. [NSW] Jinsei Game for Nintendo Switch <TBL> (Takara Tomy) {2023.10.06} (¥6.000) - 9.150 / 63.414 (-13%)
06./04. [NSW] Pikmin 4 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2023.07.21} (¥5.980) - 7.932 / 930.538 (-22%)
07./06. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Violet # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2022.11.18} (¥5.980) - 5.149 / 5.168.231 (-2%)
08./05. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 4.763 / 5.525.023 (-10%)
09./07. [NSW] Minecraft # <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600) - 4.371 / 3.295.992 (-11%)
10./10. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} (¥7.200) - 3.264 / 5.311.793 (-10%)

Top 10

NSW - 8
PS5 - 2

HARDWARE

fSlPCef.jpg

Last edited:
Even a decades long ps staple franchise like metal gear can't outpace the switch version any more in Japan. Interesting and damning for the PS console at the same time.

Great hold for Super Mario Wonder.

And wow Xbox above PS, we have been blessed with a rare sighting.

Even a decades long ps staple franchise like metal gear can't outpace the switch version any more in Japan. Interesting and damning for the PS console at the same time.
Yeah we’ve been seeing it for several PS-centric franchises now. PS needs to regain some ground.

There being only a 300K difference between this year and last for the Switch is insane to me.
And with holidays coming up, 2023 might go on to surpass 2022. Not bad for a system in its sixth year.

told people to look at legs before dooming about Wonder...
As someone who said it had a disappointing first week, I don't think that means it will have a low total. But the second week isn't exactly a refutation. Whereas the first week was behind 2 NSMB games, the second week is behind 3 NSMB games.
EDPHzSo.png

As someone who said it had a disappointing first week, I don't think that means it will have a low total. But the second week isn't exactly a refutation. Whereas the first week was behind 2 NSMB games, the second week is behind 3 NSMB games.
EDPHzSo.png
Without digital numbers (which will be more significant here than any NSMB title) and with the bulk of the holiday sales season ahead, I wouldn't really be that worried about this.

told people to look at legs before dooming about Wonder...
? I agree its a legs based game but this is a pretty standard decline for the Japanese market, and actually a steep decline compared to New Sup (which I think had a 54%-65% decline in their second weeks)

Its legs will probably start showing around the holidays

honestly, was expecting more from SMBW in its second week. taking into consideration digital sales it won't be as bad, ofc, but if we do 30% of these sales we only get ~212k units. still less than i was hoping given it is such an amazing game and i thought word of mouth would have given it a less drastic slide.

switch HW is actually impressive, though!

Never would’ve thought we’d see MGS with a higher opening on a Nintendo system

Is it safe to assume the PS5 HW sales cratering is due to the upcoming model?

The phasing out of old PS5 hardware feels so badly timed with Spider-man 2 and the MGS Collection. These numbers gotta hurt.

Imagine how the numbers would be if the Switch wasn't running at 30fps, heh

Wait price increase? They are actually increasing the price of the new model? Wow...

Yes, the old PS5 system in Japan was almost exclusively shipped out of Japan due to the extremely weak yen so they're increasing the price to combat scalpers exporting the system (and to make more money, of course).

The yen is historically weak right now due to the Bank of Japan not raising interest rates while the rest of the world does.

Wait price increase? They are actually increasing the price of the new model? Wow...

Edit: googled and they didn't increase the price in Japan as they did in the west before.

? Yes they did? They're just doing another huge price increase with the PS5 Slim. The disc model has gone from 50k yen to 60k yen to now 67k yen.

Wonder's drop is pretty expected for a Mario game that opened as high as it did on a non-holiday week. NSMB DS is its closest comparison for similar circumstances and the main reason one can surmise why it visibly had a slightly softer drop (emphasis on visibly because digital is a factor for Wonder) is because the DS was still selling six digit quantities every week at that point. It'll rebound during the holidays.

? Yes they did? They're just doing another huge price increase with the PS5 Slim. The disc model has gone from 50k yen to 60k yen to now 67k yen.
Ah ok, the report I read was inaccurate then. Bottom line is that the PS brand in Japan really takes a huge beating with PS5. It's bizarre to see this played out.

Last edited:
The phasing out of old PS5 hardware feels so badly timed with Spider-man 2 and the MGS Collection. These numbers gotta hurt.
Good observation, but these are Japanese charts, so I doubt Sony considered Spiderman a big software hit in Japan.

It is absolutely not, the PS5 Slim comes with a huge price increase in Japan.

Sony just isn’t shipping PS5s to Japan right now.
Thanks for reminding me that particular detail. Someone else had mentioned it

due to the Bank of Japan not raising interest rates while the rest of the world does.
I know this is off topic, but why hasnt the Bank of Japan raised interest rates?

The Bank of Japan either

1. Is extremely slow to do any policy changes
2. Wants to establish inflation expectations at 2-3% after multiple decades of 0% inflation establishing inflation expectations of 0% and thus does not want to fight inflation currently (inflation in Japan is only at 2-3% right now and is actually what the Bank of Japan has been hoping for for decades)

0% inflation expectations are probably bad compared to 2% though we don't have hard evidence of this in macroeconomics.

Good observation, but these are Japanese charts, so I doubt Sony considered Spiderman a big software hit in Japan.
You're right, but it's still a high profile release plus one of the biggest PS releases this year. Even if Japan isn't that Spidey minded, Sony should have known better. They are aiming for a big holiday with the slim release, but have no title to go with it.

Sony hasn't shipped new hardware because they're going to replace it with the slim. it's less a demand issue that's why Xbox is over PS5, but supply
Also one can imagine that if someone wants to buy a PS5 now, they'll probably choose to wait a bit for the slim model.

Back
Top Bottom